MIKA @ O2 Academy, Newcastle

dcdeb

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww bless :wub2:

We will be near the front :thumb_yello: .. you can miss me , Im Mika only male fan (ish):naughty:

honestly you don't know how bad i am :naughty:

we'll probs be a bit around the corner... might meet you after... is it possible to go to the stage door there? i've never done it there before :teehee:

last time i was there there were a few male fans :biggrin2: but i didn'r know as much about mika as i do now so i wasn't used to liking the same music guys liked (that sentence makes sense in my head :teehee:)

honestly you don't know how bad i am :naughty:

we'll probs be a bit around the corner... might meet you after... is it possible to go to the stage door there? i've never done it there before :teehee:

last time i was there there were a few male fans :biggrin2: but i didn'r know as much about mika as i do now so i wasn't used to liking the same music guys liked (that sentence makes sense in my head :teehee:)

Yes very easy ... right onto the road ..:thumb_yello:

Follow me :wink2:

The venue is superb , not sure if youve been before and the tour bus stops right outside the stage door :thumb_yello:

Great city , venue and MFCers:wub2::mf_lustslow:

i was there in 2007 on the 26th November :naughty: when i came out of there i knew i was a proper Mika fan, i couldn't stop smiling :teehee: i found out about MFC then cos i saw someone dressed up with a badge on but i didn't have internet access at the time :boxed:

great everything! :biggrin2: apparently there's something about it having a bouncy floor :blink: i'm going there twice in 2 months as well :groovy:

The venue is superb , not sure if youve been before and the tour bus stops right outside the stage door :thumb_yello:

Great city , venue and MFCers:wub2::mf_lustslow:

Love Newcastle, good memories for me:wub2:

What should I wear to Newcastle??? frock or jeans???..everyonelse?

xx

from personal experience i wouldn't wear a skirt or dress to a gig :wink2: it's not good. i'm wearing jeans and a loose or breatheable top :biggrin2: and flat shoes preferable trainers but that kinda goes without saying :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...

an article from a local paper in newcastle....

Mika ringing the changes

By Gordon Barr, Evening Chronicle

On February 5, 2010

GOLDEN boy Mika brings his colourful show to Newcastle this month. Entertainment Editor GORDON BARR catches up with him.

ONE thing is for sure about a Mika gig – no two shows are the same.

That has never rung truer than with his latest tour, which arrives in Newcastle later this month.

He’s playing a host of different-sized venues, so each concert will be different from any of the others.

“We go from 1,000 capacity places to 1,800 capacity, so we have this crazy show to put together as it has to adapt to all these different types of venues,” he tells me.

“For the massive arena places, the set is so huge it has to be rehearsed in a film studio – actually at Elstree, where they rehearsed Star Wars.

“It is the way that my career has progressed. Unconventional. It has gone all over the world and it is in different stages all over the world.

“Around Europe we are doing arenas. In Japan I will do four nights at a theatre but in Korea I will do one night at the Olympic Hall.

“I do what I do in the way that I do it. I never change the way that I perform. That has been a philosophy since the first day. ”

Mika’s second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, shipped an incredible one million copies worldwide in its first week of release.

Featuring tracks from The Boy Who Knew Too Much, the tour will also include favourites from his multi-million-selling debut Life in Cartoon Motion, such as Grace Kelly, Relax and Big Girls and, as we have come to expect, a few exciting surprises thrown in.

Recognised as one of the most inventive and thrilling live showmen around, Mika, who has laid down vocals for the Haiti charity single to be released next week, has been working with show producer Es Devlin (Kanye West, Pet Shop Boys) to ensure the tour will be nothing short of spectacular.

“I found out about Es when she was working on Salome at the Royal Opera House. I badgered my way into meeting her. She had done a rap show for Kanye, and I then convinced her to get into a pop show. It was the first one she had ever done and we did this stadium show together in Paris with this enormous clown fascia, all based on the circus,” he explains.

“From there she became the biggest pop set designer in the world. But she always promises me she will come back to me, no matter how tiny the show.

“We did an acoustic show at Sadler’s Wells, and we treated that with the same attitude as an arena and stadium show.

“We build on something that tells a story and looks visually beautiful, something that you would associate with opera or theatre, not a pop show. It has always been how we work.

“So now we have got this new show that we have been working on for a while with this concept of surreal scale and depth. It is a giant book and we have this enormous book that comes to life, where all the pages drop down to reveal other bits of the story.”

Mika is looking forward to playing the O2 Academy in Newcastle on February 24. It was one of the first cities to take him to its heart.

“Newcastle was explosive,” he recalls. “It was like a fun club show from 80s New York, that is how it felt. I want this new show to feel like you have taken some crazy substance and you have jumped into the pages of my artwork.”

Regarding the Haiti charity single, he says: “I came back from France to do it. It is an honour to be asked and I hope it raises tons and tons of money.”

Mika won’t be writing any new material while on the road though. “I don’t write when I travel, I write in the studio in a very disciplined manner, from 10am to 7pm, with a very strict routine,” he says.

“If you work every day in the same place, it is like a drawing, an idea you started four days earlier, you have, through flow, it turning into something else four days later.

“It is a bit old school, a tin pan alley way of writing songs. But that is the way I have always done it - sitting at the piano on my own, recording everything I do and then crafting songs out of it. You get addicted.”

Mika ringing the changes

On February 5, 2010

GOLDEN boy Mika brings his colourful show to Newcastle this month. Entertainment Editor GORDON BARR catches up with him.

That has never rung truer than with his latest tour, which arrives in Newcastle later this month.

He’s playing a host of different-sized venues, so each concert will be different from any of the others.

“We go from 1,000 capacity places to 1,800 capacity, so we have this crazy show to put together as it has to adapt to all these different types of venues,” he tells me.

“For the massive arena places, the set is so huge it has to be rehearsed in a film studio – actually at Elstree, where they rehearsed Star Wars.

“It is the way that my career has progressed. Unconventional. It has gone all over the world and it is in different stages all over the world.

“Around Europe we are doing arenas. In Japan I will do four nights at a theatre but in Korea I will do one night at the Olympic Hall.

“I do what I do in the way that I do it. I never change the way that I perform. That has been a philosophy since the first day. ”

Mika’s second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, shipped an incredible one million copies worldwide in its first week of release.

Featuring tracks from The Boy Who Knew Too Much, the tour will also include favourites from his multi-million-selling debut Life in Cartoon Motion, such as Grace Kelly, Relax and Big Girls and, as we have come to expect, a few exciting surprises thrown in.

Recognised as one of the most inventive and thrilling live showmen around, Mika, who has laid down vocals for the Haiti charity single to be released next week, has been working with show producer Es Devlin (Kanye West, Pet Shop Boys) to ensure the tour will be nothing short of spectacular.

“I found out about Es when she was working on Salome at the Royal Opera House. I badgered my way into meeting her. She had done a rap show for Kanye, and I then convinced her to get into a pop show. It was the first one she had ever done and we did this stadium show together in Paris with this enormous clown fascia, all based on the circus,” he explains.

“From there she became the biggest pop set designer in the world. But she always promises me she will come back to me, no matter how tiny the show.

“We did an acoustic show at Sadler’s Wells, and we treated that with the same attitude as an arena and stadium show.

“We build on something that tells a story and looks visually beautiful, something that you would associate with opera or theatre, not a pop show. It has always been how we work.

“So now we have got this new show that we have been working on for a while with this concept of surreal scale and depth. It is a giant book and we have this enormous book that comes to life, where all the pages drop down to reveal other bits of the story.”

Mika is looking forward to playing the O2 Academy in Newcastle on February 24. It was one of the first cities to take him to its heart.

“Newcastle was explosive,” he recalls. “It was like a fun club show from 80s New York, that is how it felt. I want this new show to feel like you have taken some crazy substance and you have jumped into the pages of my artwork.”

Regarding the Haiti charity single, he says: “I came back from France to do it. It is an honour to be asked and I hope it raises tons and tons of money.”

Mika won’t be writing any new material while on the road though. “I don’t write when I travel, I write in the studio in a very disciplined manner, from 10am to 7pm, with a very strict routine,” he says.

“If you work every day in the same place, it is like a drawing, an idea you started four days earlier, you have, through flow, it turning into something else four days later.

“It is a bit old school, a tin pan alley way of writing songs. But that is the way I have always done it - sitting at the piano on my own, recording everything I do and then crafting songs out of it. You get addicted.”

He wasn't wrong there!

It was totally rocking that night, I was really pumped up!

Can't wait til the next one, 2 weeks to go!:woot_jump:

Mika ringing the changes

On February 5, 2010

We build on something that tells a story and looks visually beautiful, something that you would associate with opera or theatre, not a pop show. It has always been how we work.

Lovely article. I've highlighted my favorite bits. The Newcastle audience must feel so proud after what he said about his last gig there.

Really proud , even before that seeing him early 2007 at the University

Actually I have something for him from that gig which will blow his mind .. Ill post near the time:wink2:

So you're organizing a surprise. Niiiice:biggrin2:

Really proud , even before that seeing him early 2007 at the University

Actually I have something for him from that gig which will blow his mind .. Ill post near the time:wink2:

Oooh, another pupil from the Mika School of Teasing!:roftl::roftl::roftl: