Florence And The Machine Thread

Mika_Rules_All

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I downloaded 'Ceremonials' last weekend, I just can't stop listening to it! It's absolutely brilliant. :wub2: And Florence is so so beautiful, I love the way she looks.

I have absolutely no idea why I haven't listened to this band before... My one new obsession, I guess. :aah:

• 4 months later...

I really LOVE it ! :) I listened to the streamed CDs all the time and I finally bought them while I was in Edinburgh (couldn't think of a better souvenir :DD). Unfortunately, I don't have "Bird Song" on my version of "Two Lungs" and it is a Deluxe Edition though ;'/ But never mind, my dear Itunes friend is there (XD).

I'm waiting for a friend's response to go to one one her next European's gigs *fingers crossed*, we'll see ~ ;D

CHECK THIS OUT !

• 11 years later...

I didn't really know which thread to share this text in (is there a thread for neurodiversity in general? I could not find it), so I figured I'd just put it here, since it's Florence's text. I found it on Twitter yesterday and it really touched me, so I wanted to share it here, since it reminds me a lot of how Mika speaks about his own neurodiversity, and I'm sure it'll resonate with many of us here too 💖

20240417_223853.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaela said:

I didn't really know which thread to share this text in (is there a thread for neurodiversity in general? I could not find it), so I figured I'd just put it here, since it's Florence's text. I found it on Twitter yesterday and it really touched me, so I wanted to share it here, since it reminds me a lot of how Mika speaks about his own neurodiversity, and I'm sure it'll resonate with many of us here too 💖

20240417_223853.jpg

Thanks a lot for sharing @Jaela

𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑑

I wish a word like 'neurodiversity' had existed when I was younger, because there were plenty of other words that got thrown around in its absence. Neurodiversity means to be part of the diversity of humanity as a whole. It means different, not flawed - and everyone is different. That's something I could have done with knowing as I grew up.

At school the phrase I heard most commonly associated with my dyslexia and dyscalculia was "learning difficulties"; not exactly helpful, or accurate. It was hard; I had to find a way to make life work for me. In maths I would learn the pattern of the questions, because it was easier, for me, than dealing with the numbers themselves.

My first job was in a bar and I still remember the sting of shame when the manager realised I couldn't count change. In the end, I used visual memory to devise my own way of doing it and I became a pretty good barmaid actually. I know I have an intelligence, a certain type of intelligence, but it's visual and auditory; I remember and respond to colours and textures, to musical notes, not dates and names.

My thoughts are disordered, not especially logical and not at all linear - but that's okay, they take me to more interesting places. As an artist, I think it's a self-evident truth that not thinking like everyone else is positive and beneficial. But even as I grew up, started doing something I love and even achieved some success, I still felt that there were these labels people could throw at me. People would talk as if my songs, my achievements, my career etc. had been achieved despite things like my dyslexia. But I was thinking, might it not be because of those things?

Neurodiversity might well fit more comfortably in a creative environment than other areas, but it exists in all walks of life and positive attitudes towards it can help all of us.

It would be wonderful if people could walk into jobs and be honest about how they move through the world. And that the fact they see things differently could be an asset. Because ultimately, wherever you work, and in all aspects of life, the key to happiness and success is an environment where everyone is encouraged to be not only their best self but their true self.

Florence Welch

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

I don't think there is so far! :)

There is this thread:

I know the title suggests it's mainly about autism but we could always discuss neurodivergence in general terms there too. 

But that's not to say we can't have a separate thread if you wanted to! :)

• Like 1