Sleep Paralysis?

Mika60

ok so this started over a year ago, when i would go to sleep i'd lay awake for hours and around 3ish in the morning i would just start to fall asleep then i realize i can't move at all, i try to scream for help to my twin sister across the room and nothing comes out. I then start to feel really heavy and hear noises that sound like airplanes or ufos. one time i tried to move my arm and i couldn't but the ghost of my arm raised out and started moving, another time i felt like something was dragging me under my bed and another my mattres started shaking like something was under it. I can't move or do anything for 30 Seconds-2 minutes. It can happen to me more than once in one night as well, the most it happened was 6 times. I'm scared and i want to know if this could be sleep paralysis?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a sleep disorder, generally caused by a chemical imbalance or other neurological issue. I don't have it, so I don't know much about it, but I know it's common enough that there are treatments for it. Always best to talk to a doctor who can do tests to find a source and take other health factors into consideration in order to develop an effective treatment program.

I was reading about it and its like your brain is producing the chemical that puts you asleep when you're still awake so you tend to see weird things around your room. i'll have to make a doctors appointment for it cuz its causing problems when i sleep lol i seriously thought i was being aducted by aliens for months and i have a huge fear of them so it made things worse ahaha

ok so this started over a year ago, when i would go to sleep i'd lay awake for hours and around 3ish in the morning i would just start to fall asleep then i realize i can't move at all, i try to scream for help to my twin sister across the room and nothing comes out. I then start to feel really heavy and hear noises that sound like airplanes or ufos. one time i tried to move my arm and i couldn't but the ghost of my arm raised out and started moving, another time i felt like something was dragging me under my bed and another my mattres started shaking like something was under it. I can't move or do anything for 30 Seconds-2 minutes. It can happen to me more than once in one night as well, the most it happened was 6 times. I'm scared and i want to know if this could be sleep paralysis?

I'm no expert but this sounds a lot like sleep paralysis to me! Do you happen to sleep on your back? I've read that generally that's when it happens so try to avoid sleeping on your back. :thumb_yello: I had it happen to me once and I haven't slept on my back since and it hasn't happened again. *knocks on wood to be safe* :naughty:

Sorry this is going to be long, but I'm going to type everything that I've read about this.

I used to have a friend who had this happen to her a LOT. It got to the point where she was terrified to sleep alone because she'd wake up unable to move, breathe or make any sound.

This happened to me maybe a month or two ago. Luckily when it happened I remembered my friend so I knew what was going on and didn't freak out as much. Plus from what I remember I didn't have a problem breathing.

I woke up on my back with my head tilted towards my door, which is really weird because I rarely ever sleep on my back or wake up on it. I decided I was going to turn over and go back to sleep until I realized that I couldn't move at all! I felt like there was this insane pressure pushing me down on my matress. I had just had a nightmare before this happened and I thought that my grandma who had passed away was sitting on me punishing me for my nightmare... yeah don't ask I have NO clue. I clearly wasn't fully awake. :naughty: Anyway, I tried to call out to my mom for help because I was scared but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make a sound. Finally I was able to get out some type of weak moan and a few seconds later it was like something snapped and I sat straight up. I went back to sleep after but I kept waking up just to make sure I could still move. :lmfao:

I did some research when I woke up to find out more about it. From what I remember reading apparently when we fall asleep our mind turns off our muscles, or else we'd act out our dreams. Before we wake up our mind turns our muscles back on. What happens with sleep paralysis is some type of glitch where you become aware before you have the ability to move.

A lot of people think that this has something to do with evil demons and spirits because they've seen something evil sitting on them causing them not to move, others feel like there's something coming to get them, some see dark shadowy figures moving around the room, and like you they fear they're being abducted by aliens.

Basically what it is is you have woken up in your dreams. (Why can't we wake up during our good dreams? Who knows. :naughty:) When it happened to me I didn't see anything or have any fears that something was coming to get me.

Also with you moving your arm and seeing a ghost arm come out and move sounds like an out of body experience. I read peoples stories after to see if it sounded like anything that I had that night just to rule it as sleep paralysis. I read one story where someone woke up and started floating towards their ceiling. They started freaking out and thinking of going back down and they did which they went through their bed and floor and into their kitchen. Sounds.... odd. They said if it ever happened again they were going to have fun and float around their town, but of course it never happened again. :naughty:

Here's a link that talks about it some more: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis They also talk about what you have. You have it when you're falling asleep and they call it "hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis."

From what I've read there's no cure for this but it could be caused by an underlying condition like narcolepsy.

Wow .. that would scare the crap out of me :shocked:

It's pretty freaky. I've read that it happens to people at least once in their lifetime, so now that you know about this if it ever happens to you (which I hope it doesn't) maybe you'll get lucky like me and remember what's causing this so you don't freak out much. :)

When you dream, you're in a coma or hypnotized. It's what we call the REM sleep. When your brain awakes from the sleep but your body doesn't, you can't move. This is not permanent though, so you don't have to worry about that. Ofcourse you'll panick, but you won't stay in that state forever.

In case it happens to you a lot, it could be that you have migraine. Or, as I looked up on Wikipedia:

"Many people who commonly enter sleep paralysis also suffer from narcolepsy. In non-Nigerian Africans, panic disorder occurs with sleep paralysis more frequently than in Caucasians. Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:

* Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position

* Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation

* Increased stress

* Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes

* A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode."

About your ghost leaving your body or even partly, that's what we call an "Out of body" experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience

Wow, never heard of that. But I'm sure that now that I read about it, I will experience it soonish. :roftl:

I'm sure if you have this happen night after night after night it can wear you out, so I really hope you'll find something to help you stop it. Talking to a doc about it sounds like a plan to me.

Lucky me, the weirdest thing that happens to me while falling asleep is getting the feeling to literally fall.

Wow, never heard of that. But I'm sure that now that I read about it, I will experience it soonish. :roftl:

I'm sure if you have this happen night after night after night it can wear you out, so I really hope you'll find something to help you stop it. Talking to a doc about it sounds like a plan to me.

Lucky me, the weirdest thing that happens to me while falling asleep is getting the feeling to literally fall.

I HATE those falling sensations! :aah: I'd rather have that than have another sleep paralysis attack though.

One night when I was little I fell out of bed and as soon as I rolled over the edge I instantly had a dream that I was falling off a really high cliff. Go figure right? In my dream I was waving my arms frantically and few seconds after I hit my floor I woke up and I was actually waving my arms. :naughty:

Archived