Mac or PC?/What is the best laptop to get?

Buzzbuzz

EDIT: I got a MacBook Pro!!! I love it so far!

A bit of a weird topic amongst the rest, but I need help. I found out today that I get to replace the laptop I've had for 3 years from.. today actually (I just realized that) with a new one thanks to my Uncle, with help from my other family. ( :shocked::biggrin2::jawdrop: ) You have no idea how bad my recent laptop is... lets just say I can barley use it now (Tip: Do not buy a Gateway.). Anyway, to move on I need to know, what is a better system, Mac or Windows? I've heard it both ways and my sister says people at her school who have Macs love them, but that they can't open windows files and/or have to wait half an hour for them to open/convert, even when using the bootcamp thing that let's you use windows. I also want to know about windows 7 from those of you that have it.

I also want to know a bit about Tablet laptops. There the other computer I want to have, but I don't know if the pressure sensitivity is good (if it even has any) and that in Photoshop.

I need my computer to be able to run fast using Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc., and have good picture quality. Good battery life and memory too.

I would go for a desktop... but the portability of a laptop is too necessary for me. It comes in handy for back-and-forth from school and going to my Dads. Plus, I'm going off to College in a year.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thank you for those that do.

Man, I'm still getting over the shock that I can get a new laptop this Sunday, and not in a year like originally mentioned, and that he mentioned getting me a Mac when I talked to him today. :shocked: A Mac has been my dream computer, though despite that I do need a computer that can work with my school documents like Power Point and Microsoft Word.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, well I would suggest buying whichever one you're comfortable with.

Like I've grown up with PCs so I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to macs whereas my freind uses macs abd shes always lost with PCs.

And also with the whole doctument files and macs. What you can do is change the type of doctument when you go to change it (just use the box thing which specifes which kind of file type it is)

i'm not too sure which files types are compadibile with NeoOffice but I'm sure you could find out.

Good luck in chooseing your laptop :biggrin2:

If you are going to get a laptop, I suggest a Thinkpad.

They are very fast, they can do almost everything.

My father has got two of them, one really small one, this one I think.. You can rotate the screen, and it's small, which will be useful if you have to travel and take it with you a lot. It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. It does have a touch screen. It also just has this little red nipple kind of thing that you have to use to move the cursor.

Uhm.. yeah. Thinkpad really is the best.

Link to the website.

If you are going to get a laptop, I suggest a Thinkpad.

They are very fast, they can do almost everything.

My father has got two of them, one really small one, this one I think.. You can rotate the screen, and it's small, which will be useful if you have to travel and take it with you a lot. It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. It does have a touch screen. It also just has this little red nipple kind of thing that you have to use to move the cursor.

Uhm.. yeah. Thinkpad really is the best.

Link to the website.

Thanks! I do need a CD/DVD since it will be my computer, but that's a good suggestion. I'll definitely keep looking at that website.

It doesn't really matter, but for the applications you mentioned, a Mac is a bit faster, especially compared to a Vista. I don't know about Windows 7, but if installed on the wrong computer, Windows Vista can get really nasty and slow. I heard it got better in Windows 7 but I didn't really try it or something. By the way; when you use the mentioned applications on a Mac, you won't have to wait for a long time to convert the files, and on a Windows you won't have to wait for a long time either; both versions of the applications (both the Windows and Mac versions) use the same file formats, I think... Photoshop really DOES, but I'm not really sure about the other ones, but because they're all from the same series (Creative Suite) I think they will just load equally fast on both computers.

Hey BuzzBuzz! I just got a MacBook for Christmas after YEARS of PCs. It's actually the first Mac my family has ever had. I know what you mean about an absolutely sh*t computer--my old one was like 7 years old! Plus it was a desktop.

All I can say is, I've only had the Mac for a day, but it's absolutely MAGICAL! I have a 13" Macbook--and it runs so quickly. It's insane--startup takes like half a minute.

I haven't put Photoshop on this computer yet, but I'm sure that it would run very well. You'd just have to hook up a mouse/tablet because I don't think Photoshop would work well with a finger-pad thing.

Photo quality is super, plus they have this really cool feature where you can zoom in/out by just moving your fingers on the little pad a certain way! Also, you sound like a creative person, and iMovie is a billion bajillion times better than Windows Movie Maker than I used to use.

It takes some getting used to because I've used a PC all my life, but I definitely recommend it!

Good luck! Let us know what you choose.

I got my macbook almost 6months ago, well 'got'...I had to pay for it myself. About 1000euros but it's worth every penny, the switch from microsoft to Mac is a little frustrating but you'll get used to in within days. And I have 'open office' on my macbook, it's free and saves files in the same formats as microsoft saves them. So I've never had problems with that.

+ if you want a good laptop for pictures, and like you said you work with photoshop etc etc, Mac is absolutely the best choice. Promised :thumb_yello:

Hmmm... I think I'll get a MacBook Pro, if I can. My uncle might stagger under the price tag! He was the one to mention a mac though...

I'll let you all know what I chose tomorrow, since that's when I'm going to go shopping for one.

More tips would be great though... like is there stuff I should get with the mac? Go to Apple store or a chain, etc.

I've never had a Mac, but from what I know Macs are more reliable and are better for photo/film stuff, but they're more expensive.

I was thinking about getting a Mac last year, but I think pc laptops are more suited for me... I have two laptops, but if I decide to get a third I might consider Mac again.

As for deciding between Mac or PC it's all preference really or what you're going to need for your job. I have a PC laptop for fun and a Mac for my work.

If you go with Mac I wouldn't buy it through the Apple store. Their insurance is an absolute sh*t waste of money. I bought myself a Macbook Pro through Apple and bought the insurance because you never know when something is going to happen.

Randomly I got a crack on the casing near the screen and the computer was making a horrible noise (think weed whacker.) It hadn't been dropped and when I saw the crack I was so surprised and baffled. The guy at the store didn't believe me even though I wouldn't lie if I had dropped it. He showed it to his buddy and asked if he's ever seen that before. His buddy said, "oh yeah I have except the other one was much worse. It had a crack on the other side of the screen too. It has something to do with the faulty hinges." The guy still treated me like a complete moron after when I only wanted to get the noise fixed. He said that the noise was most likely the fan bearing going then blamed it on the crack which is NO where near where the fan bearing is! I argued with the guy saying that my insurance states that they're suppose to fix anything that goes wrong on the inside he still wouldn't take it to be fixed. Because of that I haven't been able to work on my photos for half a year because the noise is horribly loud. :furious:

If you can, get the computer through Best Buy. I find the employees more understanding and their insurance is worth it because they don't go through Apple. I just got an iMac with a 27 inch screen for Christmas and I'm happy it came from Best Buy. :)

As for deciding between Mac or PC it's all preference really or what you're going to need for your job. I have a PC laptop for fun and a Mac for my work.

If you go with Mac I wouldn't buy it through the Apple store. Their insurance is an absolute sh*t waste of money. I bought myself a Macbook Pro through Apple and bought the insurance because you never know when something is going to happen.

Randomly I got a crack on the casing near the screen and the computer was making a horrible noise (think weed whacker.) It hadn't been dropped and when I saw the crack I was so surprised and baffled. The guy at the store didn't believe me even though I wouldn't lie if I had dropped it. He showed it to his buddy and asked if he's ever seen that before. His buddy said, "oh yeah I have except the other one was much worse. It had a crack on the other side of the screen too. It has something to do with the faulty hinges." The guy still treated me like a complete moron after when I only wanted to get the noise fixed. He said that the noise was most likely the fan bearing going then blamed it on the crack which is NO where near where the fan bearing is! I argued with the guy saying that my insurance states that they're suppose to fix anything that goes wrong on the inside he still wouldn't take it to be fixed. Because of that I haven't been able to work on my photos for half a year because the noise is horribly loud. :furious:

If you can, get the computer through Best Buy. I find the employees more understanding and their insurance is worth it because they don't go through Apple. I just got an iMac with a 27 inch screen for Christmas and I'm happy it came from Best Buy. :)

Really? And I heard from others to absolutely not get it at best buy, and it's horrible. They told me to go to the apple store. Huh, I'll keep that in mind.

Really? And I heard from others to absolutely not get it at best buy, and it's horrible. They told me to go to the apple store. Huh, I'll keep that in mind.

If you go through the Apple store I wouldn't get their insurance. :mf_rosetinted: So far I haven't had problems with Best Buy. I love their geek squad because they'll drive 2 hours to get to me, and have. :naughty:

0_0 I don't know if I want a Mac anymore thanks to this link:

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

I also heard Photoshop freezes on one...

Maybe I should get an HP...

I think Photoshop is fine on them because a lot of my friends use Macs to edit their photos and it seems to work for them. Mine is a little laggy but I think it's because I've used a lot of its memory since I didn't have an external hard drive until this year.

I don't think I've had any of the problems that were on that list, instead I've had 5 different ones. I think I got a defective one all the way around because my other friends haven't had any problems. :naughty:

I got a...

MACBOOK PRO!!!! I love it so far!!

I did get there insurance for 3 years (My Uncle wanted too... I forgot to say it might not be good, I think I was in shock at the apple store, I still can't believe I'm using a mac right now!). I even got a (free after rebate) new printer/scanner/copier as well!! No more dinosaur all in one for me! I'm so happy right now.

Archived