Queer as Folk!

Fmbm

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm. I recall having read that QAF was supposed to offer a somewhat realistic view on what is referred to collectively as 'gay community'. After having watched the first 4 episodes I really have my doubts about credibility here. :dunno:

I get the impression that being gay is just used as a byword for hanging out in the relevant clubs each night, shagging several random dudes right on site on a regular basis and doing drugs, of course. :roftl: Seems like a bit of a distorted or at least one-sided view on the scene. But maybe it just seems so outlandish to me because the only gay guys I know are a married couple.

So I doubt that the series was produced to increase acceptance in the first place. At least I don't think that this is the main reason for the viewing rate. :fisch: But as there are 5 (?) seasons I still have hope that the characters might lose a bit of their flatness over the next 100 episodes or so :teehee:

Hm. I recall having read that QAF was supposed to offer a somewhat realistic view on what is referred to collectively as 'gay community'. After having watched the first 4 episodes I really have my doubts about credibility here. :dunno:

Yes, you are right. If it reflects anything in a realistic way, it can only be one small segment and within one particular age group, although the stories are written so that they cover more 'lifestyles' with occasional links. And they do it really well and often using humour. In fact, I think that the reason there are so many complications in the main characters' relationships is that this way they can present some characters who live a relatively normal life and you'd never expect them to be "different". If it was only about married couples, it would be boring and no one would ever watch it since I don't think that an average gay person's life is significantly different from any other person's life.

I don't think it was created to promote acceptance, either. I think it is for people who are curious but are already accepting.

I used to be almost "addicted" :mf_rosetinted: to this programme a few years ago - watched all the seasons in 2 weeks time or sth.

Today it's still one of my fave series ever!

I just love the characters Brian and Justin :wub2:

And Debbie of course!

I get the impression that being gay is just used as a byword for hanging out in the relevant clubs each night, shagging several random dudes right on site on a regular basis and doing drugs, of course. :roftl: Seems like a bit of a distorted or at least one-sided view on the scene. But maybe it just seems so outlandish to me because the only gay guys I know are a married couple.

So I doubt that the series was produced to increase acceptance in the first place. At least I don't think that this is the main reason for the viewing rate. :fisch: But as there are 5 (?) seasons I still have hope that the characters might lose a bit of their flatness over the next 100 episodes or so :teehee:

Queer as Folk is not supposed to represent all of they gay community. It's just supposed to represent the main characters. At least, that's what Randy Harrison (Justin) said.

Yes, you are right. If it reflects anything in a realistic way, it can only be one small segment and within one particular age group, although the stories are written so that they cover more 'lifestyles' with occasional links. And they do it really well and often using humour. In fact, I think that the reason there are so many complications in the main characters' relationships is that this way they can present some characters who live a relatively normal life and you'd never expect them to be "different". If it was only about married couples, it would be boring and no one would ever watch it since I don't think that an average gay person's life is significantly different from any other person's life.

I don't think it was created to promote acceptance, either. I think it is for people who are curious but are already accepting.

Agree. Especially with the bolded part. However, it's entertaining enough for me. I'll let you know if episode #511 will manage to make me cry, too when I get to it :wink2:

Season 5: Episode 11 is my absolute favourite Brian and Justin episode EVER!

I totally cried :naughty:

Is the last one??? I started to cry at the first 5 minutes :boxed: cause I knew what was going to happen. Spoilers :sneaky2:

Agree. Especially with the bolded part. However, it's entertaining enough for me. I'll let you know if episode #511 will manage to make me cry, too when I get to it :wink2:

Yay. :groovy:

Make sure you don't skip ahead though. You have to learn what Brian's like to appreciate it. :naughty:

Thank you :pinkbow:

I stayed up 'til 4am last night searching for icons and stuff :lol3:

If you're interested:

http://community.livejournal.com/galegraphics

:das:

Great link Fmbm! Thanks! Now I understand why you stayed up till 4 AM, those pics are certainly worth staying up for!:mf_lustslow:

Archived