Elle me dit stole :O:O

MikaMan

:shocked: Really? When I hear I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight for real I sing 'Relax, take it eaaaaasy' over it :roftl: But nothing more than this it's true.

I can't listen to more than 10 seconds of that MTV song :teehee:

Funny! I kind of know 'IJDIYAT', but I never particularly hear the relationship myself. My mum really likes the first song (not writing it out again!) and says the beginning of relax was copied, but the rest sounds almost entirely different, so she doesn't mind!

This song isn't a plagerism issue, because he credited the song on his album.

Anyone notice the almost uncanny similarity between Stuck in the Middle and Movin out (Antony's song) by Billy Joel? Same key, same chord progression, similar beginning, similar meaning etc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to come back again on this but I must... :teehee:

I think it is common sense that there is an infinite number of reasonable sounding melodies (the 2 million was just a random example on a 7note bar part and you keep exponentiating for more notes... then add differntiations in rhythm.. etc). It is music and maths combined. The common sense about the finite number is about chord progressions and I often see those two mixed when arguing for and against songs having been plagiarized.

I simply find it important to state as no two cases are similar: there are clear cases of plagiarism on the one hand and claims that one knowing anything about music simply laughs at on the other. It can be decided by experts based on certain rules - there is no doubt about that. That's why several musicians go to court about it.

With EMD they couldn't really (this melody bit is too short and simple for that) but it is likely that at least one of the people involved in the writing process may have heard the MTV song so perhaps subconsciously they integrated it into their own work..etc.

that is exactly what should not be mixed with people stealing melodies from songs. You can play this chord progression and anyone with some musicality can sing a completely different song on top, with a different melody, not resembling the rest of the songs in the video at all. It is the way you build your chords (and the number of existing chords) that are finite and limited and not the melody. So anyone claiming that Richard Marx stole from Pachabel or Mika stole from Richard Marx is just totally clueless. Also, if plagiarism was based on chords, complete genres, like boogie woogie would consist of a few songs only with the rest of them just labelled as 'stolen' :roftl:

That was my point really. Pachabel sounds nothing like Happy Ending. In fact Happy Ending doesn't resemble any song I've ever heard. I know a bit about music as I'm a trained singer and it is very easy to get certain progressions to resemble any song you like.

But the thing about EMD. What gets me is that EMD has been out for ages. It's not a new song anymore. The writer of that other piece of garbage has waited till now to say that his song has been stolen? His claim is as rubbish as his song, which isn't like EMD anyway. No one would believe it.

That was my point really. Pachabel sounds nothing like Happy Ending. In fact Happy Ending doesn't resemble any song I've ever heard. I know a bit about music as I'm a trained singer and it is very easy to get certain progressions to resemble any song you like.

But the thing about EMD. What gets me is that EMD has been out for ages. It's not a new song anymore. The writer of that other piece of garbage has waited till now to say that his song has been stolen? His claim is as rubbish as his song, which isn't like EMD anyway. No one would believe it.

Thinking about it, Happy Ending does have something pachabel's cannon-like about it. Wouldn't exactly call it plagerism though!:thumb_yello:

How can there be a finite number of chord progressions and and an infinite number of melodies?

For reasons I explained in earlier posts so I am not going to re-start again as most people must be bored with it by now :teehee:

That was my point really. Pachabel sounds nothing like Happy Ending. In fact Happy Ending doesn't resemble any song I've ever heard. I know a bit about music as I'm a trained singer and it is very easy to get certain progressions to resemble any song you like..

Yes, basically, you can sing any number of different melodies on top of the same chords- it will never be the same and no-one should call it plagiarism.

What a song reminds people of is completely different and depends on how someone perceives that piece of music. There are usually other songs Mika songs remind me of and I consider it a good thing. When I say a song reminds me of another song I tend to find it positive and I usually mean similarity in terms the style and structure of another song or artist. Happy Ending, for example, has always reminded me of Somebody to Love by Queen and Somebody to Love reminds me of 'Say a Little Prayer' by Aretha Franklin but I don't expect anyone to hear that same similarity.

I am really pleased I 'got' the influence on Toy Boy though - I kept thinking for days what the first version he played reminded me of before I figured it wasa particular bit from the Magic Flute. I remember how happy I was to post it on MFC and that no-one reacted on it but a month later Mika ended the song with a piece from the MF live in Berlin for the first time - and I was even there :pinkbow: I don't know why it made me so happy but it did.:blush-anim-cl:

Is that a real claim by that band or someone simply found the two similar?

I personally think that it is an obvious resemblance but because it is so simple and short they can't have a case with it.

To me it is similar to the resemblance between Hey Mickey (Toni Basil), Girlfriend (Avril Lavigne) and Madonna's Gimme All Your Loving. They are all based on very similar chants.

Its not a claim somebody just pointed out to me that the two were similar and so i made this thread

What the Heck.

This has a few similar notes but is waaaaaaay different.

I wouldnt have noticed the similarity if you hadnt mentioned it.:teehee:

MTV song is really bad

Agree, I can't here the similarities everyone is talking about :mf_rosetinted: But then again I suck at music stuffs :aah:

• 1 month later...

Late to this thread but I've just become aware of the La-la-la's in the background and they sound really familiar. I was thinking that it maybe from the theme to Eurotrash or something like that.

Maybe it's just part of making the song sound very european?

Edited by vixenbbw