Elle me dit stole :O:O

MikaMan

Im sorry if this has already been done but i have been told that Mika has copied this song and to be honest this and "Elle me Dit" do sound alike :o If anyone knows anything about this please inform me

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow sounds just like it :fisch:

Ha ha ha

Youngling # 142

Queeniac # 92

15 - 8 - 2012 St. Jean sur Richelieu

"It's Basically Pointlessly Delicious"

Edited by rachie b

Not sure if It should relieve everyon BUT on the Mika's French Wikipedia Page, they already talked about something similar for "Relax" :

"On retrouve sur ce titre la mélodie d'(I Just) Died in Your Arms de Cutting Crew, ainsi que l'introduction et la mélodie du fameux Spacer de Sheila & B.Devotion." (In short, the song Relax'd have the same melody as (I just) Died in Your Arms and have the same intro + melody as Sheila's "Spacer").

=> (I Just) Died in Your Arms : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqqVgXPclsE

=> Sheila :

I can hear something similar for the 1st song but not for the 2nd one ^^' Anyway, Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source but... this current topic remind me of that Wiki Page Story :')

As I really LOVE "Elle me dit", I'd love to have this topic cleared 'cause I don't like that feeling... :blink:

Not sure if It should relieve everyon BUT on the Mika's French Wikipedia Page, they already talked about something similar for "Relax" :

"On retrouve sur ce titre la mélodie d'(I Just) Died in Your Arms de Cutting Crew, ainsi que l'introduction et la mélodie du fameux Spacer de Sheila & B.Devotion." (In short, the song Relax'd have the same melody as (I just) Died in Your Arms and have the same intro + melody as Sheila's "Spacer").

It's the first time I read something like this. It can't be true! :mf_rosetinted: :rolls_eyes:

"On retrouve sur ce titre la mélodie d'(I Just) Died in Your Arms de Cutting Crew

The difference is the person who wrote the Cutting Crew song is credited as a writer on Relax.

Well, there's an undeniable similarity, but that doesn't automatically

mean that Mika heard it and deliberately "stole" the melody.

He does listen to all sorts of music online, so he might

have heard this at some point and had it rattling around in his subsconscious... then used it months later not really realizing where the tune had come from.

:dunno:

Or, perhaps one of his other writing pseudonyms is iRome. :naughty:

I suppose this won't be the last we hear about this.

A lot of songs are similar to eachother in the world, it's music and sometimes chord progressions and notes played in a specific order can be replicated millions of times in a million different songs. I could go on forever but I remember I once went to a Justice concert a few years back and was shocked to hear them perform a song almost identical to a song I had recorded lol but yeah, I'm sure Mika didn't copy this song :thumb_yello:

A lot of songs are similar to eachother in the world, it's music and sometimes chord progressions and notes played in a specific order can be replicated millions of times in a million different songs. I could go on forever but I remember I once went to a Justice concert a few years back and was shocked to hear them perform a song almost identical to a song I had recorded lol but yeah, I'm sure Mika didn't copy this song :thumb_yello:

Oh, I'm convinced of that. It's happened to me as well, just kidding around on the piano when my boyfriend somewhat astonished asked me how I knew that song. Well, I didn't, or at least so I thought. I've probably heard it somewhere at some point, but I sure can't remember.

But then I'd never get in trouble for playing a song in my living room. That's where the worrying part comes from. But as I'm not a lawyer, perhaps I should leave the worrying to Mika's management :naughty:

We have had this conversation several times on MFC. :teehee:

If a song has a strong resemblance to another and the songwriter of the one that was written earlier is not credited on the song that was written later, it is a breach of copyright and you can sue the person.

The things that needs to be decided in such cases are as follows:

1. Resemblance of the two songs:

- if it is the chords only, then forget it. There aren't that many combinations of chord progressions that two people independently couldn't come up with the same independent of each other.

- if it is the melody (like in case of 'MTV'), it depends on the length of the similar melody (throughout how many bars you hear the same...etc) as well as other factors that would decide if this is a case that would qualify for 'stealing' the song.

2. Proof that the writer of the second could have possibly heard the first song (i.e. if the song was released before or the writer may have heard it any other circumstances)

If there is a proven resemblance that means a breach of copyright law, it does not matter if it was written intentionally or not, the writer of the newer song needs to share rights to the song with the other one or make an agreement in any other way.

There have been some examples mentioned on this thread and I'd say the resemblance to the Road to Mandalay and UW is zero, whilst this MTV song is built on the same but really short piece of melody EMD is. It is so apparent because this simple melody is used as a sample and is repeated thoughout the song and even the verses follow the same melody in both songs. Whether or not someone could have a strong case with it at court, I don't know.

I think I like MTV just as much as I like Elle Me Dit. I hope Emily will be a bit more exciting for me.

Edited by suzie

=> (I Just) Died in Your Arms : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqqVgXPclsE

=> Sheila :

I can hear something similar for the 1st song but not for the 2nd one ^^' Anyway, Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source but... this current topic remind me of that Wiki Page Story :')

As I really LOVE "Elle me dit", I'd love to have this topic cleared 'cause I don't like that feeling... :blink:

about "I just dies in your arms" yes i read here that the writer of it was so pleased that Mika changed it! :shocked::aah:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9928

and the "MTV" songs sounds alike but i don't think that Mika copied from them, maybe the producer of Elle Me Dit used the rhythm on MTV song one. u know what i mean? :blink:

Well, there's an undeniable similarity, but that doesn't automatically

mean that Mika heard it and deliberately "stole" the melody.

He does listen to all sorts of music online, so he might

have heard this at some point and had it rattling around in his subsconscious... then used it months later not really realizing where the tune had come from.

:dunno:

Or, perhaps one of his other writing pseudonyms is iRome. :naughty:

I suppose this won't be the last we hear about this.

I agree about the subconscious theory and i remember a few years ago when that coldplay guy got sued for doin something like this without knowin it :shocked: Im not sayin mika will get sued because the coldplay ones were really similar