Wed 2/20

12:00 pm EST

This event is all ages

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the many places i've seen gigs in Philly, i've never been to this one so i googled...

SOME FAQS

-Union Transfer is a general admission venue and mostly standing room only. However, we do have LIMITED seating upstairs in our showroom balcony. Please note, all seating is first come first served.

-Government-issued photo ID is required for entry to all shows.

-The photo policy varies for each artist and is usually not determined until day of show. Usually we allow cameras for the first 3 songs, but check the artist’s policy. You can inquire about the photo policy at the door or call 215-232-2100 on the day of show. If cameras are permitted then NO FLASHES ARE ALLOWED. If you are good at taking pictures, please send us copies!

-We have a private lot behind the venue for $10. You can’t miss the signs when you pull up.

Didn't find anything out about size of the venue. I'll ask my sister & see if she has more get details.

where did you find that out? :doh:

While the building was large enough to make UT a 2,000-capacity venue, the owners instead chose to divide the space to provide for a large lobby, a separate bar/party area, big bathrooms, a coat check, a no-fee box office, backstage dressing rooms, a huge load-in area, and a bi-level performance room that can fit anywhere from 600 to 1,000 people (the uniquely constructed stage can be moved up to 25 feet, depending on the show). On the ground floor, there’s multi-level viewing areas and a back bar; above, there’s a horseshoe-style, 21-and-over balcony with a bar and some grandstand-style seating. “Sight lines and sound come first,” says Bowery Presents General Manager Jesse Mann, who claims UT’s high-tech sound system is the best in the city. “People are going to be blown away by the clarity and resonance and separation,” he says.

Read more: http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news-and-opinion/Philly-Welcomes-New-Music-Venue-Union-Transfer.html#ixzz2L1A4yfn2

Thank you! I thought i was missing it on the UT site :doh: Forgot i could look other places.

That last sentence about clarity and resonance, sounds perfect for a stripped down show :fangurl: this is gonna be epic!

Also if anyone has any questions about visiting Philly, i might be able to help. i've been to Philly at least 12-15 times so i'm quite familiar w/ the tourist stuff, trains, airport and all that fun stuff, prolly as much as my sister who's lived there for 22 years xD

Found this buried in an item on Gaga cancelling her tour, which was supposed to stop in Philly, too.

In the good news department, we have a fondness for that cute and queer pop star Mika. You know him, right? His 2007 debut, Life In Cartoon Motion, was just plain fun. It’s years old now but there are a few still jams on it that’ve stood the test of time. “Billy Brown”? “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)”? “Grace Kelly”? Guess what – Pitchfork gave his debut a 1.5. He put out a sophomore effort in 2009 and then just a few months ago put out his third, The Origin of Love. And today he announced an ‘intimate’ tour of North American dates. This means, for him and for Philly, a stop at Union Transfer. I’m just going to show you what the press release says:

“Mika has just announced a North American tour of intimate venues. He will be performing a special stripped down set accompanied by a pianist and guitarist. Mika’s recent Fall North American tour sold out in minutes. This is a rare chance for fans to get up close and personal with Mika and hear new arrangements of his catalogue including his recent album.”

Maybe he’s bigger than we know at this point because UT isn’t exactly what you think of when you think small and intimate. Especially if it sells out (it won’t). But we’ll probably be there – it’s on a Monday (4/8)!

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/style/2013/02/14/pop-news-bits-mikas-coming-and-gagas-not/

I so hope it will be sold out only to prove this journalist wrong!!!

Well I get what he's saying. These shows are small by European standards for sure but some of them are not intimate really for an acoustic gig. The Toronto show holds 850 people and there is a balcony at the back of the room. The stage is high and every show I have been to has had a barrier so it's the kind of venue that would work for a typical Mika show with the full band, etc. It's really just a scaled down version of the Brixton Academy or Hammersmith Apollo.

The presale sold out but since they are not proper fan club presales half of these tickets have ended up in the hands of scalpers/ticket touts and are selling on StubHub. The same thing happened in October and I don't even know if the venue in New York was full because there were still plenty of tickets for sale even though technically the shows sold out in a day.

I think he can sell out anywhere with a great promoter but that always seems to be lacking, at least in Toronto. I'm sure there are more than enough people who would go if they knew about it, but it's making people aware that's the problem especially when some of these gigs are only a month away.

I've already got my tickets!!! this will be my first night with Mika ;) Who from here will be there? and will there be a meet up?

I'm gonna be there! and about a meet up, I have no idea. I havn't heard about any plans for any...

How big is this venue? I just saw more than 300 tickets for this gig on Stubhub, imagine they won´t sell them he will play in a half empty venue :shocked:

Apparently it's up to 1000 but it can be configured for less so I don't know how many tickets there are. But the show is not sold out yet so those Tickethub tickets are not likely to sell until the venue sells all their tickets. :dunno:

Wait, so this will be my first mika gig, anything I should know?

Not sure what you'd like to know?

I think you should just keep an eye on this thread and you'll see if anyone is planning to get together beforehand, and where people are staying, when they'll be queuing, that sort of thing. :thumb_yello:

Apparently it's up to 1000 but it can be configured for less so I don't know how many tickets there are. But the show is not sold out yet so those Tickethub tickets are not likely to sell until the venue sells all their tickets. :dunno:

Yeah, I'm surprised it's not sold out yet, actually -- he's played in Philly before and there always seems to have been a good crowd. :dunno:

Yeah, I'm surprised it's not sold out yet, actually -- he's played in Philly before and there always seems to have been a good crowd. :dunno:

Probably lack of promotion. If Live Nation/Ticketmaster are behind it they've got a huge database of people getting email alerts and presale notifications, etc. If it's independent no one is going to hear about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's getting close... Combine that with news from the festivals this weekend, and I'm starting to get really excited :excite:

So... who's getting here at what time? I'll be taking the train in that morning, so won't be around for anything the night before, unfortunately. But I'm anxious to hear what everyone else is doing! :original:

Well, it's getting close... Combine that with news from the festivals this weekend, and I'm starting to get really excited :excite:

So... who's getting here at what time? I'll be taking the train in that morning, so won't be around for anything the night before, unfortunately. But I'm anxious to hear what everyone else is doing! :original:

i'm getting to Philly Friday evening xD

when does your train come in & does it come in to 30th St Station? there's a train there i could take from my sister's area like every hour or so, so i could get there whenever.

....omg just typing about the gig i'm getting SO excited and nervous :excite::nervous: