About Mika's language and accent

Susan_xian

It's the water that is weird. It should be [ˈwɔːtə], like 'war' [wɔː®] but the 'r' is very soft.

In the song, his 'a' is like in 'dad' [dæd] or 'bad' [bæd]

Golden seems ok to me :teehee: He just put the emphasis on the word.

This is an interesting discussion, I have been learning phonetics but can't say I really understand it all yet :naughty: but still, I know what you mean here but haven't really noticed it myself, at least it doesn't bother me. :wink2: I should listen more carefully next time.

Around our house, the discussion is how he says "clown on purpose" in WAG. I think it's really hot, but my daughter hears it as "coward on Broadway" for some reason. I had to correct her. Now we just do it to be silly

Oh well... the way he says platter always makes me think about bladder :doh:

:teehee:

Did he say that in an interview or a song? He could read the phone book and it would be sexy. His accent is so dreamy. Not quite British, or American. Or whatever. Just awesome.

I'm finding Italian harder than Spanish, but both are not easy. Sentences go in a different order, and there's the whole matter of masculine and feminine nouns. Italian prepositions are killing me right now.

Hahaha I'm having the same troubles with french!!!! But anyway... Let's do our best and try as hard as Mika does!!!!! :D

Yes I think that's what happened. He managed Italian in a too quick way. It is just easy to get confused for a while. But I think it is easy to pick up Spanish again for him.

I think this happens a lot. I've studied English for many years and when starting in French, I always think to English too :blush-anim-cl: But based on my experiences, it will not last long.

I never think to my mother tongue, which is Mandarin, in either English studying or French studying.

Hahaha I know!!! It's frustrating that I'm trying to learn french and there's a little voice in my head always whispering the answers in english!!! That's why I understand our Mika and his "spaliano" and even though he says he is bad with languages, I admire his ability!!!

I love this kind of discussions!

I don't mind about the 'it' in Relax and always took the 'Love confound me' as an imperative too, but I don't like the 'don't make sense' in My Interpretation and Underwater.. We learn to conjugate correctly and then all your fave singers use abbreviations, it's really frustrating :aah:

About the pronunciation of 'water'; I don't think there is a problem with the way he sings it in the album version, but there has been some live versions where he used a clear [ae] sound, at least in France, so maybe it was to make French understand because we use the same sound :teehee:

I don't mind about the 'it' in Relax and always took the 'Love confound me' as an imperative too, but I don't like the 'don't make sense' in My Interpretation and Underwater.. We learn to conjugate correctly and then all your fave singers use abbreviations, it's really frustrating :aah:

I really don't like it, not because it's grammatically incorrect per se, but because it just seems incredibly lame to me not to work out a better lyric. And the fact that he uses the exact same phrase in two songs makes it even moreso. I mean how can you spend a year arranging and mixing, etc. trying to get every single note and sound perfect but leave this awkward line that is as disruptive to the listener as nails on a chalkboard? You don't have to go the Gilbert and Sullivan route. You can write something that is concise and correct at the same time. Millions of people do it on Twitter every day. :naughty:

I still can't understand what is so problematic about this pronunciation. I tried to get the Brits to explain it but I gave up after asking a dozen times :naughty: To me it sounds like an American pronunciation except that the "t" is enunciated properly and not muffled with a "d" sound. But that's what I would expect from a Brit so it sounds right to me. "We are golden" on the other hand is just bizarre and sounds like a total affectation. I'm sure no one says golden like that, including Mika.

Do u mean he sounds a little bit like golten? I'm not native speaker but I found he pronounce d in golden a little bit like American pronounce t in matter.

I also notice that sometimes he pronounce p, t in English like they were in french or spanish, which are a little like b,d in english. BTW this is such a huge problem for me that I can never tell the difference.

For example purple in Grace Kelly,people in Lollipop,(every)possible (way) in rain.

Anyone else notice this?

:teehee:

Did he say that in an interview or a song? He could read the phone book and it would be sexy. His accent is so dreamy. Not quite British, or American. Or whatever. Just awesome.

We could rule the world ♪♫ On a silver platter ♫♪♪♫

I also notice that sometimes he pronounce p,t in English like they were in french or spanish, which are a little like b,d in english.

Anyone else notice this?

Mh. I'm not quite sure here. I mean, Americans often a kind of swap T with D (muffled T :teehee:) whereas Brits have a pretty clear T, imo.

When it comes to P, they may sound sometimes like saying a kind of B, I suppose, but I didn't really notice it (except for that platter/bladder thing :naughty: )

And Mika confounds me cause he sometimes uses the Brit T, sometimes the American one.

But we are missing the point here: Americans, dudes, come on! Why do you have to mess up pronounciation this way? :aah:

Let those poor Ts be Ts. :shun:

Edited by Elwendin

Mh. I'm not quite sure here. I mean, Americans often a kind of swap T with D (muffled T :teehee:) whereas Brits have a pretty clear T, imo.

When it comes to P, they may sound sometimes like saying a kind of B, I suppose, but I didn't really notice it (except for that platter/bladder thing :naughty: )

And Mika confounds me cause he sometimes uses the Brit T, sometimes the American one.

But we are missing the point here: Americans, dudes, come on! Why do you have to mess up pronounciation this way? :aah:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lyric.....

Yeah, we Americans are nothing but trouble.

This is fascinating, though. I should have been a linguist.

Do u mean he sounds a little bit like golten? I'm not native speaker but I found he pronounce d in golden a little bit like American pronounce t in matter.

No it's not the D that's the issue for me at all. It's the vowel. He stretches the O out so that "gold" is 3 syllables. It is the way I would pronounce "jowl". But "gold" and "jowl" don't rhyme at all, the Os are different and there is no W in "gold" :naughty:

In Quebec they turn the TH into a D as well. Like Garou said, it's Da Voice, not Zee Voice. And it's not just a French thing, the anglophones do it too. I always know someone from Quebec even if they don't speak a word of French. It's dese, dem and dose instead of these, them and those. :naughty:

When people from Toronto say "Toronto" we just drop the second T altogether and it sounds like "Trawnna".

And to the Brits I would say let an A be an A and stop inserting random R sounds where they don't belong :naughty:

Haha. Maybe you are right.

But I don't think Americans swap T with D at the beginning of a word like Mika did in PEOPLE, POSSIBLE or PURPLE. They only do that between 2 vowels like in MATTER, COTTON and PLATTER.

I guess,maybe it is because he speaks Spanish and French and sometimes get this thing to English too. In both language they do this swap thing all the time! Just my guess anyway.

Mika's accent in English actually makes him easier understand for non-native speakers. The pure British and American are all seemed more difficult for us.

No it's not the D that's the issue for me at all. It's the vowel. He stretches the O out so that "gold" is 3 syllables. It is the way I would pronounce "jowl". But "gold" and "jowl" don't rhyme at all, the Os are different and there is no W in "gold" :naughty:

In Quebec they turn the TH into a D as well. Like Garou said, it's Da Voice, not Zee Voice. And it's not just a French thing, the anglophones do it too. I always know someone from Quebec even if they don't speak a word of French. It's dese, dem and dose instead of these, them and those. :naughty:

When people from Toronto say "Toronto" we just drop the second T altogether and it sounds like "Trawnna".

And to the Brits I would say let an A be an A and stop inserting random R sounds where they don't belong :naughty:

For We Are Golden, I listened to it again and again. I think I might understand what you mean but still not sure. To me it is still Golden more than OW in Jowl. But I'm not native, and the vowel in golden and jowl is a very common mistake for Chinese students.

I think there's a song called In Da Club? Even my first English teacher who is Chinese speak danks instead of thanks:naughty:

So Brits adds R to As? Don't notice that. Just notice American adds R wherever there is R letter in spelling like worker, car, etc.

And by reading all the Brits, Canadian and American pronunciation differences, I understand why English is not hard but listening always IS!

I guess,maybe it is because he speaks Spanish and French and sometimes get this thing to English too. In both language they do this swap thing all the time! Just my guess anyway.

Never noticed that in French :dunno:

Ah! I noticed it. But I thought it was a fancy brit way of pronouncing it :aah:

Oh, we Italians are masters in that. I swear, we do it better. The damn Th sound doesn't exist at all. It's just a D. :shun:

Trawnna. Your sick. Or evil. Not sure yet. :doh:

Examples! We need examples!

Edited by Elwendin

I always notice that extra Brit R at the end of words. Like Mika would play a concert in an areaner

A fan named Brender might show up.

She might be from Americer

Never noticed that in French :dunno:

Do you think in Italian language the t, p, k sound are exactly the same as those in English?:aah:

If so, I think it is just our Chinese speaker's problem.:doh:

I can never tell the difference of t,p,k and d,b,g in French, Spanish and Italian:sneaky2:...But of course English is never a problem.

Though he does make some mistakes, his accent is french from France.

I hear no British accent whatsoever when he speaks

As far as i know, his mother's native language was not french, it was english... american english

though i could be wrong :dunno:

Mika Father is American Guylaine not his Mother! She is Lebanese! But Mika does have a accent when he speak French and its a blend of French from France and American. That's what i hear when he speak French, but i could be wrong to cause i am from Quebec so! :)

Mika Father is American Guylaine not his Mother! She is Lebanese! But Mika does have a accent when he speak French and its a blend of French from France and American. That's what i hear when he speak French, but i could be wrong to cause i am from Quebec so! :)

In a Chinese website someone says when he speaks French, he has a Arabic accent. What is an Arabic accent?

Speaking of Quebec, I still don't understand why they have to subtitle The Voice when a Canadian candidate's family member speaking. Is it that difficult for French people to understand Canadian English? My french is poor but to me it sound not that different.

I always notice that extra Brit R at the end of words. Like Mika would play a concert in an areaner

A fan named Brender might show up.

She might be from Americer

Ah, now I see!

Do you think in Italian language the t, p, k sound are exactly the same as those in English?:aah:

The T is different for sure. But when it comes to P and C (=ch in italian) I hear no difference with British English.

Someone here to help on that subject? I may be wrong, to me French doesn't sounds far from Italian when it comes to consonants as well :dunno:

In a Chinese website someone says when he speaks French, he has a Arabic accent. What is an Arabic accent?

I suppose it's all about from who he learnt french in the first place. If he learnt it at school, it's proper Paris French for sure, if he learnt it from his family, it surely has an accent ( his mother's French is so not a Parisien one) :teehee:

Edited by Elwendin

Ah, now I see!

The T is different for sure. But when it comes to P and C (=ch in italian) I hear no difference with British English.

Someone here to help on that subject? I may be wrong, to me French doesn't sounds far from Italian when it comes to consonants as well :dunno:

I don't know much about Italian but have some knowledge in French and Spanish. Maybe it is as I said, it is just a problem for Chinese so you never really notice.

We can never pronounce cadeau and Gâteau correctly:aah: Anyone could help?

Have you noticed that in Stardust Mika and Chiara pronounce that Italian verse, which I don't understand, a little bit different? The k (or c, ch) sound?

I don't really understand all this talk about Ps, etc. :aah: Mika's pronunciation sounds normal to me.

So Brits adds R to As? Don't notice that. Just notice American adds R wherever there is R letter in spelling like worker, car, etc.

We don't add Rs. They are already there! :naughty:

Examples! We need examples!

"I am going Mikarring". :mf_rosetinted:

Mika Father is American Guylaine not his Mother! She is Lebanese!

She was born and raised in the US. She is only Lebanese ethnically.

She was born and raised in the US. She is only Lebanese ethnically.

Really? That's new to me.

So both of the parents are US citizens and they just move to Lebanon together? I remember Mika, Yasmin and Paloma are all born in Beirut?

Really? That's new to me.

So both of the parents are US citizens and they just move to Lebanon together? I remember Mika, Yasmin and Paloma are all born in Beirut?

Maybe Paloma but I don't think Yasmine was born in Lebanon.

Mika's father was born in the Middle East actually. In Palestine. But of course he is a US citizen. I think they are all US citizens regardless of where they were born. It is my understanding that you can't pass Lebanese citizenship through the mother and it is not automatically granted because you were born on Lebanese soil, so even Mika is not a Lebanese citizen.