About Mika's language and accent

Susan_xian

:naughty: Oh it is possible. But most of the time, it comes down to the interviewer not asking "good" questions. If he has to answer the same questions over and over, then he gets bored and it shows.

On the other hand, sometimes he takes that opportunity to make up things :naughty:

Like fictional dogs?:dog:

I really haven't come across a boring one yet. It must be awful having to answer to same stupid questions over and over again.

"It was written completely as a message to someone I was hanging out with at the time. I was turning into the worst good-time lover. I wanted to look at somebody and have them look at me like they are drunk without having to drink anything. That is what I want out of the person that I am looking at. Some people have to actually be drunk to feel like they are going anywhere with someone. I would never have the courage to say it in real life, but I can in a song."

Not quite sure I get this....

"Just like "Lollipop" when you put all of that dark, strange, surreal stuff around it then it's okay because it's a lollipop. When I read that it was one of Stephen King's favorite songs I felt very validated."

Really?

"We get messages on Facebook and I read those"

Again. Really?

And what more interesting is that once Mika visit Zuleika and this fan is invited to have dinner but she refused because she has too much work to do at that night!!She is really upset when later she know it was Mika.

I guess that girl is kicking herself still now for the wasted chance :naughty:

And thank you for the interview, very interesting! :thumb_yello:

"It was written completely as a message to someone I was hanging out with at the time. I was turning into the worst good-time lover. I wanted to look at somebody and have them look at me like they are drunk without having to drink anything. That is what I want out of the person that I am looking at. Some people have to actually be drunk to feel like they are going anywhere with someone. I would never have the courage to say it in real life, but I can in a song."

Not quite sure I get this....

"Just like "Lollipop" when you put all of that dark, strange, surreal stuff around it then it's okay because it's a lollipop. When I read that it was one of Stephen King's favorite songs I felt very validated."

Really?

"We get messages on Facebook and I read those"

Again. Really?

Yes, Stephen King is a fan apparently.

Thanks for posting the interview Susan. I had forgotten that Mika mentioned (one of?) his sisters speaking Italian. Wonder if that was Zuleika? That is such a shame about the Chinese student missing out on the chance to meet Mika. :aah: :aah: :aah: I think Zuleika was studying fashion or design or something and not just there to learn Chinese.

I was such a huge Stephen King fan when I was a teenager and still enjoy his stuff. His imagination and powers of observation are extraordinary. I can't even imagine what it's like living in his head. :naughty:

I did some genealogical research a couple of years ago and a website dedicated to one of my ancestors and their descendants claims that Stephen King is also a descendant. I have not been able to verify but I like the idea that we may be cousins. :teehee:

I did some genealogical research a couple of years ago and a website dedicated to one of my ancestors and their descendants claims that Stephen King is also a descendant. I have not been able to verify but I like the idea that we may be cousins. :teehee:

How naive of you! :rolls_eyes:

Sure you are cousins.

He named the evil car after who, according to you? :mf_rosetinted:

That was nothing but a hidden reference.

How naive of you! :rolls_eyes:

Sure you are cousins.

He named the evil car after who, according to you? :mf_rosetinted:

That was nothing but a hidden reference.

Yes I thought so. I guess we have a mutual cousin out there named Carrie too. :naughty:

Apparently if you have 50 American ancestors who arrived in the 17th century you are pretty much guaranteed to be related to every other American in the same situation.

I think Zuleika was studying fashion or design or something and not just there to learn Chinese.

Glad you enjoy the interview. Yes the Chinese fan mentioned that they are majored in fashion design. Zuleika mentioned that both her mom and sisters make and design clothes but they are not professional. :naughty: Well if the girl know about Mika and the family as much as we do now she must get suspicious!

I was such a huge Stephen King fan when I was a teenager and still enjoy his stuff. His imagination and powers of observation are extraordinary. I can't even imagine what it's like living in his head. :naughty:

Well we are now talking about Stephen King. Don't know much about him just watch some movie. But I think he do share much in common with Mika although their work seems completely different. I mean the imagination, the drama, well my english is too poor to describe it.

I'm trying to picture Stephen King rocking out to Lollipop, and I'm having a hard time. It seems too upbeat for my image of him.

Very interesting story about Zuleika and the Chinese girl. I'd be beating myself up about that one forever. I give Zuleika a lot of credit. She could be one of those people constantly bragging about her famous brother, but she was cool and discreet about it. Gotta love those siblings.

She could be one of those people constantly bragging about her famous brother, but she was cool and discreet about it. Gotta love those siblings.

I don't really know much about them, but I have the feeling they are pretty discrete. They never released an interview or whatever. Or did they?

But then I think about other famous people and I realize that none of their relatives use to go on tv very much and talk about the famous member of the family. Or I may just be wrong cause I've never been a fan before and so I didn't use to be into the gossip thing like I'm now. :aah:

• 3 weeks later...
MIKA official ‏@mikasounds 4m

Énorme Bravo à mes 6 finalistes pour les shows en direct ! Très fier ! Et un immense merci aux 3 autres talents .

MIKA official ‏@mikasounds 4m

C'était très dur pour moi de choisir . A samedi prochain pour le Direct ! #thevoice

Btw, we think he is not the one tweeting tonight... This French doesn't sound Mika French :naughty:

Why doesn't it sound like Mika French?

• 1 year later...

Here's why we struggle so much to figure out what Mika accent sounds like: 

So since both of your parents speak with an American accent, right?

Yeah, terrible ones though, really strange American accents. My dad lived in America a total of four years of his life. He’s from there, but his father worked as a diplomat, so he was everywhere.

So when you go to the US do you talk with an American accent, like one of those people who’s bi-dialectical?

Yeah, if anything, I mimic the person who I’m sitting in front of. So the amount of times I’ve had some half-drunk Irish person want to smash me in the face because they think I’m taking the piss, but the truth is, it’s a reflex, I mirror accents in front of me. And yeah, there’s a term for it but I don’t know what it is. So if I’m happy, it’s really strange, because if I’m in a good mood I copy the accents around me. If I don’t like it, if I’m in a bad mood, I exaggerate the opposite.

So for example if I’m in Los Angeles, because I get really sad in that city when I go out because it’s just a constant stampede, one person over another, to be a movie star and you really feel it in the air and the way people talk to one another, so I get really angry and my English accent kind of gets really magnified and exaggerated. Whereas if I’m in New York and I’m really happy and hanging around, I just speak like everyone else. 

Source: http://www.timeoutshanghai.com/features/Music-Music_features/27109/Extended-interview-Mika.html#.VUxhLfmQLDo.twitter

• Like 2

However, I think he used to have a stronger British accent at the beginning of his career than now. Or at least that's what I noticed when I first became interested in him and used to spend a lot of time watching his interviews, the older and the newer ones at the same time. Is it just me?

However, I think he used to have a stronger British accent at the beginning of his career than now. Or at least that's what I noticed when I first became interested in him and used to spend a lot of time watching his interviews, the older and the newer ones at the same time. Is it just me?

Yeah, that's basically what's been said in the previous nine pages :tongue2:

Which I haven't read :fisch:

Its ok I skip ahead constantly. 

I honestly cant tell the difference to me he seems to have the same British accent but I'm a native English speaker with no capabilities of second languages T_T so I cant pick out if someone is starting to sound more diluted. The English accent to me is so different I get caught up in it. I cant even pick out the differences in most American accent compared to Canadian accents 

Edited by Salura22

Its ok I skip ahead constantly.

I honestly cant tell the difference to me he seems to have the same British accent but I'm a native English speaker with no capabilities of second languages T_T so I cant pick out if someone is starting to sound more diluted. The English accent to me is so different I get caught up in it. I cant even pick out the differences in most American accent compared to Canadian accents

I'm no expert either, it's just that I've always been more used to American accent and I can usually understand it better than British, which was gibberish to me until some months ago, therefore when I started watching his interviews I noticed I could understand him better in the newer ones, 'cause his British accent wasn't that strong anymore. Anyway, he said in a recent interview that he tends to mimic the accent of the person he's talking to, because he doesn't really have his own. Edited by Alyara
  • Like 1

I'm no expert either, it's just that I've always been more used to American accent and I can usually understand it better than British, which was gibberish to me until some months ago, therefore when I started watching his interviews I noticed I could understand him better in the newer ones, 'cause his British accent wasn't that strong anymore. Anyway, he said in a recent interview that he tends to mimic the accent of the person he's talking to, because he doesn't really have his own.

His current accent might be more international lately with all his stays in France and Italy. His accent is always in motion , just like he is :wink2:

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I post this thread! I went to Mika's 1st gig in Beijing last week! It was my 1st Mika show and it was just amazing! Now my feeling is really complicated as I know he has to cancel the following 2 shows in China after having 2 shows at one night in Beijing. He could simply cancel the show that night if he is not allowed to play for all audience as planned. Really hope he could get better soon!

Well in Beijing and Hangzhou, he spoke quite a few Mandarin Chinese. He made REALLY cute mistakes actually. :naughty: Before singing Elle Me Dit he told us he spoke French and ask do we spoke French?A little? Like his Chinese? But he use the wrong words :das: We have different expression for French the language and French the people but he got confused. He said literally he spoke some French people, do you speak French people?

In Hangzhou he confused the word for France the nation and French the language. He taught fans to sing "elle me dit danse" and then praise the audience french is good but he literally said France the nation is good. it is really cute and funny!

I still remember last time he came to China he could pronounce 123456 in Chinese with perfect tune, which is actually pretty hard for English speakers. This time it seems all the tunes are gone :naughty:

If someone like Mika's Chinese is still this cute after 9 years' study, I think I could forgive myself for my terrible French!

Edited by Susan_xian

His current accent might be more international lately with all his stays in France and Italy. His accent is always in motion , just like he is :wink2:

Even when he speaks Italian, he doesn't have an accent. Of course you can tell he's not a native because he makes some mistakes or uses the wrong words at times, but there's no trace of English accent in his Italian and it's quite unusual, especially for someone who's learnt the language in such a short time. It must be because he has studied Spanish for years, since it's very similar to Italian

Edited by Alyara
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, has anyone else been inspired to learn languages because of Mika? I learned French in school... and then promptly forgot it as soon as I graduated. (I grew up in Upstate NY, and it seemed a logical choice. Then I moved south, because: SNOW.) But now I want to be able to watch The Voice without needing to find subtitles and use translator apps and stuff so, I'm relearning it! I'm using this app called DuoLingo. It's going fairly well.

So, has anyone else been inspired to learn languages because of Mika? I learned French in school... and then promptly forgot it as soon as I graduated. (I grew up in Upstate NY, and it seemed a logical choice. Then I moved south, because: SNOW.) But now I want to be able to watch The Voice without needing to find subtitles and use translator apps and stuff so, I'm relearning it! I'm using this app called DuoLingo. It's going fairly well.

Same here! I forgot a lot of French as well. Thankfully my graduation wasn't that long ago (three years now) so when I started watching The Voice last year it came back very quickly. I'm glad because I'd love to get much better in French (I don't know if (European?) language levels mean anything to you, but our graduation level was B1 so I've got a long way to go.) The subtitling team helps, though :)

Mika has definitely inspired me to improve both my French and my Italian. (It's very considerate of him to speak the same languages I speak.  :lol3:) Especially my French wasn't (and still isn't  :P) very good, because I took a course in it about 10 years ago and then pretty much never used it after that. But now I get a lot more practice, thanks to Mika. And I'm very grateful to the subtitling team that they provide both the translations and transcriptions: for example, I love to watch French interviews with French subtitles, because I think this way I learn the most.

i used duolingo to parle Francais too. I started about 4 months before i was going to see Mika in Montreal on Feb 10th, 11th, and 12th. My last duolingo lesson was.... Feb 9th :teehee:

I didn't help anyway, i still could hardy understand Mika