About Mika's language and accent

Susan_xian

yeah, he tries so hard!!! I know, not only from Mika, but from a lot of people that learning and speaking spanish is really difficult for english speakers, because of the pronunciation, and our grammar...

I'm finding Italian harder than Spanish, but both are not easy. Sentences go in a different order, and there's the whole matter of masculine and feminine nouns. Italian prepositions are killing me right now.

I don't think Mika has forgotten spanish...is just that italian and spanish are very, VERY similar (I'm from Mexico, so spanish is my birth language and without having studied italian I even have a little idea of it) and that's why he gets confused...

it happens the same to me... I've studied english since kindergarten, and now that I study french, my brain can only manage to think in english while on french class :S :(

Yes I think that's what happened. He managed Italian in a too quick way. It is just easy to get confused for a while. But I think it is easy to pick up Spanish again for him.

I think this happens a lot. I've studied English for many years and when starting in French, I always think to English too :blush-anim-cl: But based on my experiences, it will not last long.

I never think to my mother tongue, which is Mandarin, in either English studying or French studying.

I'm finding Italian harder than Spanish, but both are not easy. Sentences go in a different order, and there's the whole matter of masculine and feminine nouns. Italian prepositions are killing me right now.

Well you should try Chinese:naughty: Since it's my mother tongue I never find it difficult until recently I'm trying to teach someone. It is just too different from almost any other languages in the world almost impossible to explain.:shocked:

Mika said in an interview that he take Mandarin lessons for 9 years but it still sucks.:blink:

I guess Italian is not hard for Mika since he can already speak Spanish and French.

Yeah, last year he went to Spain while he was in the middle of learning all of that Italian and this is what happened...

Its really cute though, I love him because he tries really hard, and I know that his spanish can be nearly perfect, like 6 months before that with this interview

Here we have other exemple of his "spaliano" :naughty::teehee:

[YOUTUBE]YEbOQ6s2QX0[/YOUTUBE]

This video makes me laugh so much also because he wants to say that he's embarassed but he uses the wrong word... he says that he's "embarazado" that in spanish means "I'm pregnant" :lmfao: :lmfao:

Well you should try Chinese:naughty: Since it's my mother tongue I never find it difficult until recently I'm trying to teach someone. It is just too different from almost any other languages in the world almost impossible to explain.:shocked:

Mika said in an interview that he take Mandarin lessons for 9 years but it still sucks.:blink:

I guess Italian is not hard for Mika since he can already speak Spanish and French.

Our school system offers Chinese, and only the really bright students take it, because it's so difficult.

I'm studying Spanish, but even being not a native speaker thanks to it I understood (maybe not everything) the XF - even other people (because understanding Mika was especially easy, even his later interviews in Italian).

Even without knowing Italian grammar (well, only bits of it) I had no problem watching XF. But now I have a lot of problems watching the Voice.

So, even logically I will never believe that he forgot Spanish.

Here we have other exemple of his "spaliano" :naughty::teehee:

[YOUTUBE]YEbOQ6s2QX0[/YOUTUBE]

This video makes me laugh so much also because he wants to say that he's embarassed but he uses the wrong word... he says that he's "embarazado" that in spanish means "I'm pregnant" :lmfao: :lmfao:

Lmfao!!!Thank you for sharing! It is sooooo interesting!

Calling English native speakersssss !

Relax: blame it on me or blame IT on you ... come on he doesn't actually say IT .... ?

My interpretation: and it don't make sense .... yeah it don't, really, shouldn't it be doesn't? I think it's a kind of thing made on purpose, it happens in other songs as well

Overrated: Love confound me. I am confused as well, where's the S?

Relax: blame it on me or blame IT on you ... come on he doesn't actually say IT .... ?

My interpretation: and it don't make sense .... yeah it don't, really, shouldn't it be doesn't? I think it's a kind of thing made on purpose, it happens in other songs as well

For the last 2, it's quite common in songs that they put don't instead of doesn't because it sounds better/ better rythm in the song:thumb_yello: (Bon Jovi has a song called She don't know me...)

He says "blame iyte on you", in Relax. I've never understood why he does that. But I suppose he just wants to be different.

A lot of songs, by a lot of writers, don't always sound grammatically correct. "Love confound me," in Overrated, should be, love can/Will/does confound me, in order to be correct, or simply, "love confounds me." But with songs, its usually what fits best with the tune, whether it's right or not.

If I have learned this right. Sir Arthur Sullivan had a quarrel with his lyricist partner, William S Gilbert, because Gilbert was obsessed with always getting his lyrics grammatically correct, with every syllable crystal clear. So Sullivan had to always make sure that his music fit the words exactly which wasn't always easy. If you listen to G&S songs, you can hear how wordy they are. They are very unique in that respect.

Usually I don't mind if a bit of license is taken, with song lyrics. What annoys me is when you know they've deliberately altered something, to give it Street Cred. Like

"I mustick wichoo forever." Was that by The Sugarbabes? Its awful, whoever sings it.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

In the first one, he doesn't annunciate the T in IT, but that is something a lot of us Brits do, when singing, and occasionally when speaking too, if we talk fast.

The second, don't is an abbreviated form of doesn't and again used widely in the English language here.

Confound without the s again is an abbreviated way of saying it, mainly in song lyrics.

Yes it's a bit of an odd vocal phrasing but I never took it to be anything else. :dunno:

Yes it's intentional but still awkward. :naughty:

I guess I always took this to be an imperative, like "kill me quickly". To me the whole song sounds like frantic pleading - to his lover (kill me), to love (confound me), to himself (breathe out, breathe in).

Thank you all! Now I can come to terms with that, it was a kind of annoying stone in my lyric shoes.

I guess I always took this to be an imperative, like "kill me quickly". To me the whole song sounds like frantic pleading - to his lover (kill me), to love (confound me), to himself (breathe out, breathe in).

I like your interpretation. It DO make sense.

If I knew that when I still was at school, I could have replied to my english teachers: "Well, this is not a mistake :shun: I'm so good that I'm using native speakers' slang. Catch up"

Edited by Elwendin

Thank you all! Now I can come to terms with that, it was a kind of annoying stone in my lyric shoes.

I like your interpretation. It DO make sense.

If I knew that when I still was at school, I could have replied to my english teachers: "Well, this is not a mistake :shun: I'm so good that I'm using native speakers' slang. Catch up"

You have such a cute way of phasing things. Are you as talented in writing in Italian?

And why can't I keep my allos, dallos, nellos and sullos straight? Italian prepositions are so hard. I'm going to be like Mika and just make them up.

@Elwendin: what bothered, intrigued or puzzled you didn't bother/intrigue/puzzle me. I already read explanations such as the ones given by Christine, Marylin or Rose.

However I don't like the way Mika says 'water' when he sings 'Underwater'. It's really weird.

However I don't like the way Mika says 'water' when he sings 'Underwater'. It's really weird.

I still can't understand what is so problematic about this pronunciation. I tried to get the Brits to explain it but I gave up after asking a dozen times :naughty: To me it sounds like an American pronunciation except that the "t" is enunciated properly and not muffled with a "d" sound. But that's what I would expect from a Brit so it sounds right to me. "We are golden" on the other hand is just bizarre and sounds like a total affectation. I'm sure no one says golden like that, including Mika.

I still can't understand what is so problematic about this pronunciation. I tried to get the Brits to explain it but I gave up after asking a dozen times :naughty: To me it sounds like an American pronunciation except that the "t" is enunciated properly and not muffled with a "d" sound. But that's what I would expect from a Brit so it sounds right to me. "We are golden" on the other hand is just bizarre and sounds like a total affectation. I'm sure no one says golden like that, including Mika.

It's the water that is weird. It should be [ˈwɔːtə], like 'war' [wɔː®] but the 'r' is very soft.

In the song, his 'a' is like in 'dad' [dæd] or 'bad' [bæd]

Golden seems ok to me :teehee: He just put the emphasis on the word.

It's the water that is weird. It should be [ˈwɔːtə], like 'war' [wɔː®] but the 'r' is very soft.

In the song, his 'a' is like in 'dad' [dæd] or 'bad' [bæd]

The R is soft? There shouldn't be an R there as far as my ears are concerned. It doesn't sound like the A in dad or bad at all to me. That's why there is no point in me asking about this online. My accent is totally different to any British accent so these word comparisons don't make any sense to me. We can only have this conversation in person because these proncunciation symbols are Greek to me. :naughty:

You have such a cute way of phasing things. Are you as talented in writing in Italian?

And why can't I keep my allos, dallos, nellos and sullos straight? Italian prepositions are so hard. I'm going to be like Mika and just make them up.

Thank you! This is a super nice compliment!!! Well, I guess.... I don't actually know what "phasing things" means... :teehee:

I suppose the cuteness is just about the goofy stranger messing up english language. Which it works for you as well like it did for Mika: just do some random mistakes now and then and italians will totally fall for you. So, go on and screw those prepositions for good.

But be prepared: once italians think you're cute, they will never let it go. They will do posters, Tshirts, commercials, memes, whatever. It will be forever tattooed on you.

Anyway, if you really want to hit this insane road and learn italian, I'm available whenever you want. Facebook chat is handy.

cause you've got an awful way to gooo:naughty:

:naughty: that was the reference, you got it :wink2:

When it comes to Mika's weird pronounciation of underwAter or Golden, I'll never be able to notice it.

My issue now is to get the spoken difference between can and can't.

If we'll ever meet, I could misunderstand when you can do something and you can't.

So, I'll ask you for a ride, and stay the whole night waiting for you to get me to the airport, while you all are already in bed. http://ww.icewallpapers.com/view/waiting_for_a_ride/28214

Thank you! This is a super nice compliment!!! Well, I guess.... I don't actually know what "phasing things" means... :teehee:

I suppose the cuteness is just about the goofy stranger messing up english language. Which it works for you as well like it did for Mika: just do some random mistakes now and then and italians will totally fall for you. So, go on and screw those prepositions for good.

But be prepared: once italians think you're cute, they will never let it go. They will do posters, Tshirts, commercials, memes, whatever. It will be forever tattooed on you.

Anyway, if you really want to hit this insane road and learn italian, I'm available whenever you want. Facebook chat is handy.

:naughty: that was the reference, you got it :wink2:

When it comes to Mika's weird pronounciation of underwAter or Golden, I'll never be able to notice it.

My issue now is to get the spoken difference between can and can't.

If we'll ever meet, I could misunderstand when you can do something and you can't.

So, I'll ask you for a ride, and stay the whole night waiting for you to get me to the airport, while you all are already in bed. http://ww.icewallpapers.com/view/waiting_for_a_ride/28214

No, I really meant it as a compliment. By phrasing, I meant that you have a cute and poetic way of wording things. Like where you said something was an annoying stone in your lyric shoes. That's awesome. Things like that.

If the Italians ever make a shirt for me, when I become adorable, it will say nello, dello, allo, sullo and a picture of me tearing my hair out.

If the Italians ever make a shirt for me, when I become adorable, it will say nello, dello, allo, sullo and a picture of me tearing my hair out.

:floor:

Ok, now I'm saving that compliment to read it when I feel like cr@p, then me and ceebs will get a room... before mods hit us with this warning: :poster_spam:

:

Ok, now I'm saving that compliment to read it when I feel like cr@p, then me and ceebs will get a room... before mods hit us with this warning: :poster_spam:

That's a good as when a 14 year old said to me yesterday, "You look amazing."