The Prosopagnosia (face recognition blindness) thread

Dear Marilyn , it's good that you opened this thread, I had never heard about this condition and now I know about it . I can relate to this because when I was a teacher it was a problem for me to remember the pupils names, it took me forever to associate the faces with the names , but that's not much compared to face blindness which is certainly not an easy thing to live with :hug:

It's good that you have a sweet husband who can help you deal with it :wub2:

Take care dear Marilyn :huglove:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in a book about memory, that a good way to remember names is to attach it to an image or world it reminds you of.

For example, for my name, obviously, Marilyn Monroe.

I met someone called Nosa once, so I thought of No, then I could remember the rest of the name.

Some names are easier than others to link to something memorable, but I hope that helps.

I've looked on YouTube for videos about Prosopagnosia, but on my tablet it doesn't show the link, so I can't copy it. On the laptop, it did show the browser at the top, with the link and I could just copy it, and paste it somewhere else. But I can't work this kindle in the same way because I don't see the browser. But there are lots of things on there if anybody wants to look.

Yeah it's really a good thing, also because for my personal way to work it's almost impossible for me to work on something I don't like, so it's way better for me this way, anyway I wouldn't have had help in any case because I'm in open number class at college, so it's already a challenge to find the relator for your thesis, be followed and helped just comes after, but I'm happy with how the thing are going for now, this forum and other things are helping me a lot!

I'm sad to hear about how did it go for you, it happened the same thing to me in highschool, but in that case I held hard and I continued to do what I wanted, unfortunately they have taken away many points in my final vote even though I had done a great job and not only on my accounts but also by the external teachers opinions, anyway it's done now I hope this time i'll be more lucky :)

For the library thing I think it is the same way as mine at college, that needs subscription but go on and a list if you can, it surely won't do any harm :P

My teacher never missed his receiving hours, he used to read every chapter in one week and he didn't change a single comma when I gave him the complete work: I cannot complain, after all.

My sister has a master degree in psycology and had the same problem as you: too many students compared to the available teachers, it was very difficult for her to find a professor and she had no support at all. Almost twenty years later, in a different University, I see that nothing has changed...

I read in a book about memory, that a good way to remember names is to attach it to an image or world it reminds you of.

For example, for my name, obviously, Marilyn Monroe.

I met someone called Nosa once, so I thought of No, then I could remember the rest of the name.

Some names are easier than others to link to something memorable, but I hope that helps.

I've looked on YouTube for videos about Prosopagnosia, but on my tablet it doesn't show the link, so I can't copy it. On the laptop, it did show the browser at the top, with the link and I could just copy it, and paste it somewhere else. But I can't work this kindle in the same way because I don't see the browser. But there are lots of things on there if anybody wants to look.

Memory techniques can be very helpful in many aspects of life, I think, but I am too lazy to focus on them.

We are very lucky in this respect nowadays, because scientific skills have improved a lot and can make everyday life easier with relatively modest effortless also for disadvantaged people

Yeah it's really a good thing, also because for my personal way to work it's almost impossible for me to work on something I don't like, so it's way better for me this way, anyway I wouldn't have had help in any case because I'm in open number class at college, so it's already a challenge to find the relator for your thesis, be followed and helped just comes after, but I'm happy with how the thing are going for now, this forum and other things are helping me a lot!

I'm sad to hear about how did it go for you, it happened the same thing to me in highschool, but in that case I held hard and I continued to do what I wanted, unfortunately they have taken away many points in my final vote even though I had done a great job and not only on my accounts but also by the external teachers opinions, anyway it's done now I hope this time i'll be more lucky :)

For the library thing I think it is the same way as mine at college, that needs subscription but go on and a list if you can, it surely won't do any harm :P

This is always so interesting for me too! I heard about the finding object situation as a consequence in prosopagnosia I must have surely something in my material, think it's in english too, and also something about TBC and genetic aspects, I'll look with more attention and let you, if I upload a scan of a page in a JPG file as a normal photo will you be able to see it with your tablet?

Thanks also for explaining the guides thing, i was almost there :P , and for what concerns black people perception of voices I think it's normal, because

it's not easy even for person without disorders, for you it's even more also because it's not part of your cultural background, so you don't have any kind of hint or basis for wich you can construct a recognition model.

And also your husband message is lovely and so inspired, you two must love each other a lot :) he's really kind and helpful and caring for you and your condition and also well informed because all he said is correct it's the step between what the eyes see and what you perceive when it comes to the brain, this part of the process in prosopagnosia is defective as if information is lost on the way.

I'm loving this thread. I also admire you so much for choosing something so medically unknown for your thesis.

This discussion is teaching me so much already and I'm sure, teaching others on the thread, a lot as well.

I had never linked my inability to locate objects, as part of Prosopagnosia, but then I read on one of the sites who's link is in the first post, that it's a part of it, for some people.

I think, an important point is that it's not the same for every sufferer. Some seem to see blankk faces with their eyes. So I think that's worse for them, than for someone like me.

Yes, Alan is very wise and perceptive. He's absolutely right. It's the link between my eyes and my brain that seems to be the problem.

I recently had a memory test. I was asked to draw two hexagonal shapes that were interlinked. The doctor drew it first, and then showed it to me. Asking me to copy it.

I looked away from the drawing, looked down at my sheet of paper. Took my pen and started to draw.

I honestly thought I had drawn it right. It was such a simple thing. But when the doctor showed me his drawing again, I'd made a big mistake! I had drawn the two hexagonal shapes, but I had drawn them far apart, not interlinked! I was shocked.

So my difficulties do seem to be linked some kind of communication problem between eyes and brain, rather than a perception problem, as it is for a lot of Prosopagnosia sufferers.

I would probably have to borrow my son's laptop if I can't see something on this tablet. My computer skills really suck though.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

My teacher never missed his receiving hours, he used to read every chapter in one week and he didn't change a single comma when I gave him the complete work: I cannot complain, after all.

My sister has a master degree in psycology and had the same problem as you: too many students compared to the available teachers, it was very difficult for her to find a professor and she had no support at all. Almost twenty years later, in a different University, I see that nothing has changed...

Not it has not changed a bit sadly, but I can't complain too my relator is one of my favourites professor, though this is kind of a second choice because she teaches General psychology, the 1st you study when get into college, and I'm more into neuroscience but i got to do something interesting anyway, so I'm happy even if it's gonna be a long work :)

I'm loving this thread. I also admire you so much for choosing something so medically unknown for your thesis.

This discussion is teaching me so much already and I'm sure, teaching others on the thread, a lot as well.

I had never linked my inability to locate objects, as part of Prosopagnosia, but then I read on one of the sites who's link is in the first post, that it's a part of it, for some people.

I think, an important point is that it's not the same for every sufferer. Some seem to see black faces with their eyes. So I think that's worse for them, than for someone like me.

Yes, Alan is very wise and perceptive. He's absolutely right. It's the link between my eyes and my brain that seems to be the problem.

I recently had a memory test. I was asked to draw two hexagonal shapes that were interlinked. The doctor drew it first, and then showed it to me. Asking me to copy it.

I looked away from the drawing, looked down at my sheet of paper. Took my pen and started to draw.

I honestly thought I had drawn it right. It was such a simple thing. But when the doctor showed me his drawing again, I'd made a big mistake! I had drawn the two hexagonal shapes, but I had drawn them far apart, not interlinked! I was shocked.

So my difficulties do seem to be linked some kind of communication problem between eyes and brain, rather than a perception problem, as it is for a lot of Prosopagnosia sufferers.

I would probably have to borrow my son's laptop if I can't see something on this tablet. My computer skills really suck though.

I will try to look something on youtube and post it, if it's in english or with subtitles

Thank you Marilyn I'm learning new stuff everyday too, i fave the link to this thread to my relator too, if she will ever read something will ad it that too, anyway there is enough material to study and write on but you have to know where to look for it, most of the time is inside the different colleges or research lab and so most of the time you have to pay to read it, for subscription or downloads, it occurs bè tweet the 10 and 20 years for something to ne published on books for something more than just a mention, for now i have a few article s from the magazine brain an italian ebook specific on Prosopagnosia and a copule of thesis were there are some chapters that i coul use :) I'll try to post some screen of the english ones

I think it's better for you to see face characters and not recocognize them instead of seeing just face shapes with out characters that must be really terrifying, I remembered i had a nightmare once where people around me had question mark instead of their faces, I al most cried when i woke up!

For the object shape test and memory test you have to try the gestalt tests on perception and see wich one you fail, I think it would be really useful, to know if you have problems only in interlinked figures or something else too :)

It's about communication for sure, i hope to find something useful in the material I have :wink2:

Wow - this thread seems very interesting!! But it's quite a lot, so I'll read it all when I find time for it ...

Love,love

me

Come back whenever you want :wink2:

I've been thinking a lot about my life, and how Prosopagnosia has affected it, so I could share on here.

I have a sister, two years younger than me. As children, we hung up pictures of pop stars and actors on the bedroom wall.

She did it because she fancied them. I did it because she did. Sho was normal. I wasn't. So I tried to appear normal.

It was me not recognizing faces on TV that first made my mum realize something was wrong. I was obviously born with the condition.

Because the faces on TV didn't stick in my memory, I didn't have the crushes that young girls have, for boybands or singers, or actors.

But then, as a teenager, I fell madly in love.

Who was it? You ask.

It was Mr Spock!

He, of course, had a lovely voice I could recognize, but more than that, of course, he had those huge ears and odd shaped eyebrows. I could always recognize him.

I never thought about it at the time, but everyone I've loved on TV have always looked different. The Lion Man Vincent, from the 80s series Beauty and the Beast, several from Star Trek, and Robocop from the TV series.

I got to love Mika from the radio. I loved his voice and song. It didn't matter what he looked like.

I thought I'd share this with you all.

Marilyn, I have just finished going through all of your posts here and I'm honestly blown away from what you've been through. I'm glad your life is a bit esasier now you've been diagnosed.

I've been very moved by your stories. Some of them are sweet and sad at the same time, like the one about your crushes... or the one about how you weren't able to recognize Mika and remember his face, but his voice has stuck to you for good. :)

I've studied neuroscience too, at med school. All in all, tuberous sclerosis has a great variability of expression, so it's good you don't have many other terrible issues that are related to this pathology, such as mental delays, seizures, kidney and eye conditions, etc. But it sucks you don't have access to the studies there.

Thank you for sharing your story, it's amazing to find out how much strength you have.

Marilyn, I have just finished going through all of your posts here and I'm honestly blown away from what you've been through. I'm glad your life is a bit esasier now you've been diagnosed.

I've been very moved by your stories. Some of them are sweet and sad at the same time, like the one about your crushes... or the one about how you weren't able to recognize Mika and remember his face, but his voice has stuck to you for good. :)

I've studied neuroscience too, at med school. All in all, tuberous sclerosis has a great variability of expression, so it's good you don't have many other terrible issues that are related to this pathology, such as mental delays, seizures, kidney and eye conditions, etc. But it sucks you don't have access to the studies there.

Thank you for sharing your story, it's amazing to find out how much strength you have.

Actually, I've had two cataract operations. Both eyes were affected by the time I was in my 30s. But the ops were successful. My Tuberous Sclerosis caused it.

I do have issues with depression and anxiety. I also become very confused. This is why I find computer skills hard to obtain. My brain just goes blank.

It's also why I can't work. I tried to work in a charity shop to see how I would do, but when people would be coming to the till, one after another, I couldn't cope. I just, kind-of switched off. I did work experience in an off license (liquor store) but I asked the same person, on several occasions, for her ID, and she got annoyed with me. But of course, it was because I had forgotten her face.

I was suspected of having epilepsy for many years. But it turned out that I didn't. But my anxiety disorder does cause problems that are similar, and I can't multi task, if I try I just switch off for a while. I kind of, stare into space and can't do anything for a while, until my brain sorts itself out.

Obviously, I can't drive.

But don't think I am unhappy. I'm not. Especially at the moment, with this thread, I really feel like I am some use. If my experiences help others, I am so pleased about being able to share my stories. I've been blessed, by God, with my good writing skills and I'm glad I can use them.

I also have my faith. I am a Christian and my faith has helped me all my life.

I also have a wonderful husband, and a son that I am deeply proud of.

I'm also a member of the best fan club, for the most wonderful star on the planet. So I think I'm very lucky.

Actually, I've had two cataract operations. Both eyes were affected by the time I was in my 30s. But the ops were successful. My Tuberous Sclerosis caused it.

I do have issues with depression and anxiety. I also become very confused. This is why I find computer skills hard to obtain. My brain just goes blank.

It's also why I can't work. I tried to work in a charity shop to see how I would do, but when people would be coming to the till, one after another, I couldn't cope. I just, kind-of switched off. I did work experience in an off license (liquor store) but I asked the same person, on several occasions, for her ID, and she got annoyed with me. But of course, it was because I had forgotten her face.

I was suspected of having epilepsy for many years. But it turned out that I didn't. But my anxiety disorder does cause problems that are similar, and I can't multi task, if I try I just switch off for a while. I kind of, stare into space and can't do anything for a while, until my brain sorts itself out.

But don't think I am unhappy. I'm not. Especially at the moment, with this thread, I really feel like I am some use. If my experiences help others, I am so pleased about being able to share my stories. I've been blessed, by God, with my good writing skills and I'm glad I can use them.

I'm also a member of the best fan club, for the most wonderful star on the planet. So I think I'm very lucky.

:huglove:

:blush-anim-cl: Now I've read everything written on this thread, and I must say I'm impressed - both by FranlovesMika, who dive into this subject, and writes a thesis on the condition - and you Marilyn, who share this privacy, it's so kind and nice of you !! :huglove:

I've never heard of it before, and I can only try to imagine what kind of challenges it means, to suffer from this. You're a truly amazing woman - and I think that we all are the lucky ones, to have you here, so active, on MFC!! Lots of luck - to both of you!! :wub2:

Love,love

me

:blush-anim-cl: Now I've read everything written on this thread, and I must say I'm impressed - both by FranlovesMika, who dive into this subject, and writes a thesis on the condition - and you Marilyn, who share this privacy, it's so kind and nice of you !! :huglove:

I've never heard of it before, and I can only try to imagine what kind of challenges it means, to suffer from this. You're a truly amazing woman - and I think that we all are the lucky ones, to have you here, so active, on MFC!! Lots of luck - to both of you!! :wub2:

Love,love

me

Thank you.

I've been thinking a lot about my life, and how Prosopagnosia has affected it, so I could share on here.

I have a sister, two years younger than me. As children, we hung up pictures of pop stars and actors on the bedroom wall.

She did it because she fancied them. I did it because she did. Sho was normal. I wasn't. So I tried to appear normal.

It was me not recognizing faces on TV that first made my mum realize something was wrong. I was obviously born with the condition.

Because the faces on TV didn't stick in my memory, I didn't have the crushes that young girls have, for boybands or singers, or actors.

But then, as a teenager, I fell madly in love.

Who was it? You ask.

It was Mr Spock!

He, of course, had a lovely voice I could recognize, but more than that, of course, he had those huge ears and odd shaped eyebrows. I could always recognize him.

I never thought about it at the time, but everyone I've loved on TV have always looked different. The Lion Man Vincent, from the 80s series Beauty and the Beast, several from Star Trek, and Robocop from the TV series.

I got to love Mika from the radio. I loved his voice and song. It didn't matter what he looked like.

I thought I'd share this with you all.

Of course it was hard for you, you just did the same thing to try to be and feel the same as your sister, in the reality it was easy for you to recognise and appreciate voices or particular characters, I think you were lucky knowing Mika also for this you surely appreciate him more than others both for empathy and the voice, his amazing voice you surely perceive a lot more than other people on that, i think it's impossible not to love him in the end :wub2:

I'm glad you joined us in this thread Iole, you have the same fresh but professional look I have on this topic, but you also are very kind, can't totally wait to meet u in Naples :thumb_yello:

I'm very sorry Marilyn for all the issue your condition brought with it, but I'm also glad you take it in a positive way and you act so clean and kind, I'm really glad you are Happy for this thread and sharing your stories, in the beginning of this project I honestly thought i was asking you a lil too much, that i was passino the limit for your privacy but every day we keep going with this project I'm glad for you to be so involved, I was really lucky to get in touch with you, now i truly believe i'll do a great job with this thesis, and even if i have a short time i will do the best I can also for you and this thread :wink2::huglove:

Love,love

me

Thank you! :)

I'm really happy to be able to share on here. I've had years of people not taking me seriously or implying that I'm making it up.

It's good to be able to talk about it. I think it will help raise awareness of the condition for those who read this thread, and if someone else has the condition, they will recognize their own symptoms and know they are not alone.

I'm really happy to be able to share on here. I've had years of people not taking me seriously or implying that I'm making it up.

It's good to be able to talk about it. I think it will help raise awareness of the condition for those who read this thread, and if someone else has the condition, they will recognize their own symptoms and know they are not alone.

:huglove: You've had a tough life because of this !!:doh: Thanks God you have your faith, and lovely fam. who help and support you !! :wub2: I'm sure it will be valuable, to let it all out, into the world, and to co-operate with FranlovesMika about it ...:blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

Cara Francesca,

I tried to upload a bibliography a few days ago but the file was too big...

I'm pasting a list of articles, hope you find something helpful!

No. Rank Autore Titolo Anno Risorsa Azione

Zifan, Ali Could dynamic attractors explain associative prosopagnosia?

Prosopagnosia is one of the many forms of visual associative agnosia, in which familiar faces lose their distinctive association. In the case of prosopagnosia, the ability to recognize familiar faces is lost, due to lesions in the medial. ... 2007 Web of Science

Barton, JJS The covert priming effect of faces in prosopagnosia

Background: There are many methods of testing covert face recognition in prosopagnosia, but it is not clear whether different types of covert recognition share a common mechanism. Objective: To determine whether direct forced-choice ... 2004 Web of Science

Stollhoff, Rainer The Early Time Course of Compensatory Face Processing in Congenital Prosopagnosia

Background: Prosopagnosia is a selective deficit in facial identification which can be either acquired, (e.g., after brain damage), or present from birth (congenital). The face recognition deficit in prosopagnosia is characterized by worse ... 2010 Web of Science

Stollhoff, Rainer A computational model of dysfunctional facial encoding in congenital prosopagnosia

Congenital prosopagnosia is a selective deficit in face identification that is present from birth. Previously, behavioral deficits in face recognition and differences in the neuroanatomical structure and functional activation of face ... 2011 Web of Science

Longmore, Christopher A. Motion as a cue to face recognition: Evidence from congenital prosopagnosia

Congenital prosopagnosia is a condition that, present from an early age, makes it difficult for an individual to recognise someone from his or her face. Typically, research into prosopagnosia has employed static images that do not contain ... 2013 Web of Science

Josephs, K. A. The anatomic correlate of prosopagnosia in semantic dementia

Objective: To determine the anatomic correlate of prosopagnosia in subjects with semantic dementia.Methods: We identified all subjects who had been evaluated by an experienced behavioral neurologist, met criteria for semantic dementia, and ... 2008 Web of Science

Cousins, Rosanna Prosopagnosia After Stroke: Potentials for Impairment and Treatment

The ability to recognize and identify people and determine how they may be feeling from looking at their faces is an important skill that people normally achieve effortlessly in infancy. Effective face recognition skills remain essential ... 2013 Web of Science

Eimer, Martin Electrophysiological markers of covert face recognition in developmental prosopagnosia

To study the existence and neural basis of covert face recognition in individuals with developmental prosopagnosia, we tested a group of 12 participants with developmental prosopagnosia in a task that required them to judge the familiarity ... 2012 Web of Science

Garcia-Garcia, R Prosopagnosia: Is it a single or a multiple entity?

Introduction. The prosopagnosia has generally been defined as an incapacity to recognize familiar faces, or faces previously known, due to certain lesions to certain areas of the cerebral cortex. Yet it seems that there is no universal ... 2004 Web of Science

Dinkelacker, V. Congenital prosopagnosia: multistage anatomical and functional deficits in face processing circuitry

Face recognition is a primary social skill which depends on a distributed neural network. A pronounced face recognition deficit in the absence of any lesion is seen in congenital prosopagnosia. This study investigating 24 congenital ... 2011 Web of Science

Dobel, Christian Early Left-Hemispheric Dysfunction of Face Processing in Congenital Prosopagnosia: An MEG Study

Background: Congenital prosopagnosia is a severe face perception impairment which is not acquired by a brain lesion and is presumably present from birth. It manifests mostly by an inability to recognise familiar persons. ... 2008 Web of Science

Kennerknecht, Ingo Congenital prosopagnosia - a common hereditary cognitive dysfunction in humans

The apparent selectivity of agnosia for faces is termed prosopagnosia or face blindness. This cognitive dysfunction can be seen after traumatic events - involving at least the right occipital temporal region - or very frequently congenital ... 2008 Web of Science

Bate, Sarah Evidence of an eye movement-based memory effect in congenital prosopagnosia

While extensive work has examined the role of covert recognition in acquired prosopagnosia, little attention has been directed to this process in the congenital form of the disorder. Indeed, evidence of covert recognition has only been ... 2008 Web of Science

Grueter, Thomas Visual mental imagery in congenital prosopagnosia

Congenital prosopagnosia (cPA) is a selective impairment in the visual learning and recognition offices without detectable brain damage or malformation. There is evidence that it can be inherited in an autosomal dominant mode of ... 2009 Web of Science

Grueter, Thomas Last but not least - Prosopagnosia in biographies and autobiographies

Prosopagnosia is a selective impairment of the visual learning and recognition of faces. The congenital type, which is not accompanied by detectable brain damage or malformation, was recently found to be far more common than previously ... 2007 Web of Science

Nishimura, Mayu Probing the face-space of individuals with prosopagnosia

A useful framework for understanding the mental representation of facial identity is face-space (Valentine, 1991), a multi-dimensional cognitive map in which individual faces are coded relative to the average of previously encountered ... 2010 Web of Science

Grueter, Thomas Neural and genetic foundations of face recognition and prosopagnosia

Faces are of essential importance for human social life. They provide valuable information about the identity, expression, gaze, health, and age of a person. Recent face-processing models assume highly interconnected neural structures ... 2008 Web of Science

Peelen, Marius V. Emotional attention in acquired prosopagnosia

The present study investigated whether emotionally expressive faces guide attention and modulate fMRI activity in fusiform gyrus in acquired prosopagnosia. Patient PS, a pure case of acquired prosopagnosia with intact right middle fusiform ... 2009 Web of Science

Gainotti, Guido Is the Right Anterior Temporal Variant of Prosopagnosia a Form of 'Associative Prosopagnosia' or a Form of 'Multimodal Person Recognition Disorder'?

The construct of associative prosopagnosia is strongly debated for two main reasons. The first is that, according to some authors, even patients with putative forms of associative visual agnosia necessarily present perceptual defects, that ... 2013 Web of Science

McKone, Elinor Face ethnicity and measurement reliability affect face recognition performance in developmental prosopagnosia: Evidence from the Cambridge Face Memory Test-Australian

The Cambridge Face Memory Test (CFMT, Duchaine & Nakayama, 2006) provides a validated format for testing novel face learning and has been a crucial instrument in the diagnosis of developmental prosopagnosia. Yet, some individuals who ... 2011 Web of Science

Sorger, Bettina Understanding the functional neuroanatomy of acquired prosopagnosia

One of the most remarkable disorders following brain damage is prosopagnosia, the inability to recognize faces. While a number of cases of prosopagnosia have been described at the behavioral level, the functional neuroanatomy of this face ... 2007 Web of Science

Duchaine, Bradley Comment on Prevalence of Hereditary Prosopagnosia (HPA) in Hong Kong Chinese Population

Kennerknecht et al. [Kennerknecht et al. (2008); Am J Med Genet Part A 146A] estimate that 1.9% of the Chinese population are hereditary prosopagnosics. I discuss concerns about their assumption that the great majority of prosopagnosia ... 2008 Web of Science

Grueter, Thomas Neural and genetic foundations of face recognition and prosopagnosia

Faces are of essential importance for human social life. They provide valuable information about the identity, expression, gaze, health, and age of a person. Recent face-processing models assume highly interconnected neural structures ... 2008 Web of Science

Peelen, Marius V. Emotional attention in acquired prosopagnosia

The present study investigated whether emotionally expressive faces guide attention and modulate fMRI activity in fusiform gyrus in acquired prosopagnosia. Patient PS, a pure case of acquired prosopagnosia with intact right middle fusiform ... 2009 Web of Science

Gainotti, Guido Is the Right Anterior Temporal Variant of Prosopagnosia a Form of 'Associative Prosopagnosia' or a Form of 'Multimodal Person Recognition Disorder'?

The construct of associative prosopagnosia is strongly debated for two main reasons. The first is that, according to some authors, even patients with putative forms of associative visual agnosia necessarily present perceptual defects, that ... 2013 Web of Science

McKone, Elinor Face ethnicity and measurement reliability affect face recognition performance in developmental prosopagnosia: Evidence from the Cambridge Face Memory Test-Australian

The Cambridge Face Memory Test (CFMT, Duchaine & Nakayama, 2006) provides a validated format for testing novel face learning and has been a crucial instrument in the diagnosis of developmental prosopagnosia. Yet, some individuals who ... 2011 Web of Science

Rivolta, Davide Semantic information can facilitate covert face recognition in congenital prosopagnosia

People with congenital prosopagnosia have never developed the ability to accurately recognize faces. This single case investigation systematically investigates covert and overt face recognition in oC.,o a 69 year-old woman with congenital ... 2010 Web of Science

Riddoch, M. Jane Are faces special? A case of pure prosopagnosia

The ability to recognize individual faces is of crucial social importance for humans and evolutionarily necessary for survival. Consequently, faces may be "special" stimuli, for which we have developed unique modular perceptual ... 2008 Web of Science

Bate, Sarah Covert face recognition relies on affective valence in congenital prosopagnosia

Dominant accounts of covert recognition in prosopagnosia assume subthreshold activation of face representations created prior to onset of the disorder. Yet, such accounts cannot explain covert recognition in congenital prosopagnosia, where ... 2009 Web of Science

Avidan, Galia Impaired holistic processing in congenital prosopagnosia

It has long been argued that face processing requires disproportionate reliance on holistic or configural processing, relative to that required for non-face object recognition, and that a disruption of such holistic processing may be ... 2011 Web of Science

Kennerknecht, Ingo Prevalence of Hereditary Prosopagnosia (HPA) in Hong Kong Chinese Population

Prosopagnosia (PA), or the inability to recognize a familiar person by the face alone, had been considered to be a rare dysfunction mainly acquired by trauma to the brain. Recently we have shown that the congenital form of PA, which was ... 2008 Web of Science

Fox, Christopher J. Residual fMRI sensitivity for identity changes in acquired prosopagnosia

While a network of cortical regions contribute to face processing, the lesions in acquired prosopagnosia are highly variable, and likely result in different combinations of spared and affected regions of this network. To assess the ... 2013 Web of Science

Grueter, Martina Hereditary prosopagnosia: the first case series

Prosopagnosia is defined as a specific type of visual agnosia characterised by a discernible impairment in the capacity to recognise familiar people by their faces. We present seven family pedigrees with 38 cases in two to four generations ... 2007 Web of Science

Busigny, Thomas Acquired prosopagnosia abolishes the face inversion effect

Individual faces are notoriously difficult to recognize when they are presented upside-down. Since acquired prosopagnosia (AP) has been associated with an impairment of expert face processes, a reduced or abolished face inversion effect ... 2010 Web of Science

Kennerknecht, Ingo Hereditary prosopagnosia (HPA): the first report outside the Caucasian population

Prosopagnosia (PA) or face blindness is characterized by a deficiency in identifying familiar faces. Almost all reports are single cases or collections of unrelated patients who acquired prosopagnosia after brain injuries, strokes or ... 2007 Web of Science

Kennerknecht, Ingo First report of prevalence of non-syndromic hereditary prosopagnosia (HPA)

Acquired prosopagnosia (PA) is a rare condition after, for example, a stroke or brain injury. The congenital form of PA is generally considered to be even less common. Beside a few single case reports and anecdotal mentioning of familial ... 2006 Web of Science

Rivolta, Davide What is Overt and what is Covert in Congenital Prosopagnosia?

The term covert recognition refers to recognition without awareness. In the context of face recognition, it refers to the fact that some individuals show behavioural, electrophysiological or autonomic indices of recognition in the absence ... 2013 Web of Science

Bowles, Devin C. Diagnosing prosopagnosia: Effects of ageing, sex, and participant-stimulus ethnic match on the Cambridge Face Memory Test and Cambridge Face Perception Test

The Cambridge Face Memory Test (CFMT) and Cambridge Face Perception Test (CFPT) have provided the first theoretically strong clinical tests for prosopagnosia based on novel rather than famous faces. Here, we assess the extent to which ... 2009 Web of Science

Rivolta, Davide Covert face recognition in congenital prosopagnosia: A group study

Introduction: Even though people with congenital prosopagnosia (CP) never develop a normal ability to "overtly" recognize faces, some individuals show indices of "covert" (or implicit) face recognition. ... 2012 Web of Science

Lee, Yunjo Three cases of developmental prosopagnosia from one family: Detailed neuropsychological and psychophysical investigation of face processing

A number of reports have documented that developmental prosopagnosia (DP) can run in families, but the locus of the deficits in those cases remains unclear. We investigated the perceptual basis of three cases of DP from one family (67 ... 2010 Web of Science

Jiménez Caballero, P.E. Progressive prosopagnosia associated with right temporal atrophy in a patient with hereditary dementia | Prosopagnosia progresiva asociada a atrofia temporal derecha en paciente con demencia hereditaria

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Sawamura, H. Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis associated with transient cerebral dyschromatopsia, prosopagnosia, and lack of stereopsis

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Bala, A. Visual disorders, the prosopometamorphopsia and prosopagnosia type in the early days after the onset of brain hemorrhagic stroke - a case report

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Irons, J. A new theoretical approach to improving face recognition in disorders of central vision: Face caricaturing

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Hoppenbrouwers, M. Autism as a disconnection syndrome: A qualitative and quantitative review of diffusion tensor imaging studies

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Han, D.H. Brain activity of adolescents with high functioning autism in response to emotional words and facial emoticons

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Dolzycka, D. Can training enhance face cognition abilities in middle- aged adults?

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Dalens, H. Cerebral visual impairment in brain-damaged child | Les pathologies neurovisuelles chez les enfants céré brolésés

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Skuse, D.H. Common polymorphism in the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR) is associated with human social recognition skills

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Koldewyn, K. Differences in the right inferior longitudinal fasciculus but no general disruption of white matter tracts in children with autism spectrum disorder

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Johnson, R.T. Diffusion properties of major white matter tracts in young, typically developing children

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Ran, G.M. Effects of anticipation on perception of facial expressions

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Van den Stock, J. Face identity matching is influenced by emotions conveyed by face and body

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Jacques, C. Face perception is tuned to horizontal orientation in the N170 time window

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Yetkin-Ozden, S. Face recognition in patients with migraine

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Busigny, T. Face-specific impairment in holistic perception following focal lesion of the right anterior temporal lobe

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Maule, J. Getting the gist of multiple hues: Metric and categorical effects on ensemble perception of hue

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Bahrick, L.E. Intersensory redundancy hinders face discrimination in preschool children: Evidence for visual facilitation

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Baseler, H.A. Neural responses to expression and gaze in the posterior superior temporal sulcus interact with facial identity

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Ross, D.A. Not just the norm: Exemplar-based models also predict face aftereffects

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Stevenage, S.V. Recognition by association: Within- and cross-modality associative priming with faces and voices

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

O'Neil, E.B. Resting-state fMRI reveals functional connectivity between face-selective perirhinal cortex and the fusiform face area related to face inversion

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Stevens, W.D. Resting-state functional connectivity MRI reveals active processes central to cognition

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Tavor, I. Separate parts of occipito-temporal white matter fibers are associated with recognition of faces and places

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Ossandón, J.P. Spatial biases in viewing behavior

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Gentile, F. Temporal frequency tuning of cortical face-sensitive areas for individual face perception

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Abbott, J.D. The influence of left and right hemisphere brain damage on configural and featural processing of affective faces

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Pecchinenda, A. The pleasantness of visual symmetry: Always, never or sometimes

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Serino, A. When apperceptive agnosia is explained by a deficit of primary visual processing

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

Stevenage, S.V. When the face fits: Recognition of celebrities from matching and mismatching faces and voices

2014 SCOPUS (Elsevier)

I've heard of the eye-movement theory before. But when I look at a face I do make a conscious effort to keep my eyes on the face and not move them.

It doesn't make a difference with me though, because once they walk away, I forget the face. So for me I don't think eye-movement is the issue.

But it could be the issue for people whose Prosopagnosia is not based on memory. A lot of sufferers seem to see blank faces. I don't. I see a normal face, but each time I see a person's face, It's like seeing it for the first time. I don't have a memory of seeing the face before.

Cara Francesca,

I tried to upload a bibliography a few days ago but the file was too big...

I'm pasting a list of articles, hope you find something helpful!

Wow there is a lot to go through! Thank u Giovy I'm waiting they accept my request for the proxy service from the library and I'll surely look for some of these! Thanks again :)

Wow there is a lot to go through! Thank u Giovy I'm waiting they accept my request for the proxy service from the library and I'll surely look for some of these! Thanks again :)

I hope everything is going well for you. I'm sure you're thesis will be brilliant!

I've found an interesting video. A stroke victim who developed Prosopagnosia.

She's very positive about it.

She didn't recognize herself in a mirror when out shopping.

I don't have that problem, because I tell myself each day, what I am wearing. It's the same technique I use for recognizing anyone else, like if I'm separated from Alan in a shop, I remember what he's wearing, and Alan is overweight, so that helps.

When I look at the mirror at home, I know it's me, because I'm looking at a mirror. I check my hair and clothes closely, and as far as I know, it works for me when I'm out of the home.

Some sufferers see an object and think it's a person. I don't, thank God.

Here is the video

http://findingstrengthtostandagain.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/how-are-you-spectator-monthly-news-for-ui-alumni-and-friends-the-university-of-iowa/

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
To add information.

Hi there everyone!

Tomorrow I've a meeting with my relator for the thesis to discuss the material I had and other thing, I'm also going to present a paperwork on what we talked about until now in this thread, I'll let you know how that went later tomorrow I hope :) and I hope it goes too :P

Here I'll post a link to the pdf index in english of an italian book I found on prosopagnosia, I think I'll resume some chapters from this and add other stuff, it's very interesting, sadly I've a copy only in italian and i can't post but if anyone of you is interested can google it and see if you find at least a preview in english

Here it is:

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/133/bfm%253A978-3-642-40784-0%252F1.pdf?auth66=1400186384_8c2fd58ea0195360e3c2e32bf2369675&ext=.pdf

Wish me luck!

'Night!

Hi there everyone!

Tomorrow I've a meeting with my relator for the thesis to discuss the material I had and other thing, I'm also going to present a paperwork on what we talked about until now in this thread, I'll let you know how that went later tomorrow I hope :) and I hope it goes too :P

Here I'll post a link to the pdf index in english of an italian book I found on prosopagnosia, I think I'll resume some chapters from this and add other stuff, it's very interesting, sadly I've a copy only in italian and i can't post but if anyone of you is interested can google it and see if you find at least a preview in english

Here it is:

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/133/bfm%253A978-3-642-40784-0%252F1.pdf?auth66=1400186384_8c2fd58ea0195360e3c2e32bf2369675&ext=.pdf

Wish me luck!

'Night!

Good luck Francesca.

This is all quite a journey for me too.

It's made me look at my life and realize about the coping strategies I've developed, without even realizing they were strategies.

For example. At the beginning of the thread I said I don't have a problem recognizing myself in a mirror. But Alan has always noticed that I spend a lot of time looking in the mirror at home, and stare into every mirror I pass, when I'm out with him and notice a mirror.

Since the thread started, I've been conscious of doing this, and I've realised it is a coping strategy. I'm checking myself, to see what I'm wearing and what my hair is like today. Because I've had the condition all my life, I haven't always been conscious of the development of strategies, for me it's just normal behaviour. But now I realize that so many of my little quirks are actually ways of coping with my condition.

Hi everyone! This is an interesting thread. I've tried to read your discussion but haven't had time to write any comments before this, sorry about that. Wishing the best for your thesis, Francesca!

I'm familiar with this issue as my 15 yo son suffers from prosopagnosia. I realized it during his early years as it was obvious he could recognize our neighbour and their kids in their yard/garden but had no idea who they were when we met them at the supermarket or play ground further away (he connected them to their house). Similarly, he could recognize our close family but not for example his godfather or some other relatives and friends even met them regularly.

However, my son had a lot of autistic spectrum challenges so not recognizing faces was only one challenge among many other social difficulties (like not recognizing facial expression, tones or emotions, late talking, difficulties to communicate etc). At school he learnt to cover this difficulty and recognize people simply by learning to remember their hair styles, eye glasses, clothes etc.

He is intelligent and advanced in many other areas and has a very good memory so sometimes I forget how challenging and tiring it must be for him not be able to easily know who people are (for example after all these years he still can't recognize all his classmates if randomly met them somewhere) and I need to remind myself to be more understanding and to give him enough time to rest after meeting a lot of people.

Spreading awareness is the best way to help people with prosopagnosia, imo. If other people know someone suffers from this condition they can go and introduce themselves in new situations to avoid any misunderstandings. Good luck Francesca and thanks for sharing your experiences, Marilyn!

Hi everyone! This is an interesting thread. I've tried to read your discussion but haven't had time to write any comments before this, sorry about that. Wishing the best for your thesis, Francesca!

I'm familiar with this issue as my 15 yo son suffers from prosopagnosia. I realized it during his early years as it was obvious he could recognize our neighbour and their kids in their yard/garden but had no idea who they were when we met them at the supermarket or play ground further away (he connected them to their house). Similarly, he could recognize our close family but not for example his godfather or some other relatives and friends even met them regularly.

However, my son had a lot of autistic spectrum challenges so not recognizing faces was only one challenge among many other social difficulties (like not recognizing facial expression, tones or emotions, late talking, difficulties to communicate etc). At school he learnt to cover this difficulty and recognize people simply by learning to remember their hair styles, eye glasses, clothes etc.

He is intelligent and advanced in many other areas and has a very good memory so sometimes I forget how challenging and tiring it must be for him not be able to easily know who people are (for example after all these years he still can't recognize all his classmates if randomly met them somewhere) and I need to remind myself to be more understanding and to give him enough time to rest after meeting a lot of people.

Spreading awareness is the best way to help people with prosopagnosia, imo. If other people know someone suffers from this condition they can go and introduce themselves in new situations to avoid any misunderstandings. Good luck Francesca and thanks for sharing your experiences, Marilyn!

God bless you and your son. My mum was the first person to realize something was wrong. People used to go up to her in the street and say that I had ignored them. It was because, like your son, I couldn't recognize the neighbours when they weren't in their gardens. Mum knew I wouldn't ignore them on purpose, but couldn't figure out why I said I hadn't seen them

We got our first TV when I was about 10 years old, and used to watch the old Westerns in Black and white. So all cowboys looked alike to me and I was forever asking my family, "which one is he?" Even now, with colour TV, if two characters in a show are similar looking, with similar voices, I can't tell who is who if they are not in a scene together. So I tend to be about two steps behind my family, in understanding the plot.

Anyway Mum figured it out. She realized that when I was out on my own, this was when I ignored people. When someone else was there, I didn't, because my companion would say "hello Mrs Smith", and then I would know who it was. But even though she told the doctor and the hospital, they took no notice, so I had to learn to live with it. Most people never knew I had a problem. I used other identification methods or just bluffed my way out of it.

It's so good to be able to get the condition better known. It will help others like your son, and anyone who has it in the future.

I know it's one of the problems for people with Autism. I also know Autistics often have wonderful memories in other ways, and are very intelligent. I wish you and your son all the best wishes in the world.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

It's so good to be able to get the condition better known. It will help others like your son, and anyone who has it in the future.

I know it's one of the problems for people with Autism. I also know Autistics often have wonderful memories in other ways, and are very intelligent. I wish you and your son all the best wishes in the world.

Thank you so much, Marilyn. You are very brave and I can't even imagine what you have been through growing up when this condition wasn't recognized as it is these days.

My son got his Asperger diagnosis when he was 6 yo before starting his school. I can remember his first school day like yesterday, the first years at school were very hard for him even with a full-time personal assistant as he had to learn so many social skills people usually take for granted. He has done amazing progress since then and is now a smart teenager who is finishing his school with good grades in two weeks and starting a high school in August.

I burst in tears every time when I think about his progress and growing up (it's very emotional for me as a mother) and feel deep gratitude that we have been so incredibly lucky to have good, experienced doctors and understanding, supportive teachers to help us during these years.