2024 - Mika @ AFAS Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS, 29 March REPORTS / VIDS / PICS

Kumazzz

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

PRESS

Festileaks

https://festileaks.com/2024/03/mika-in-afas-live-vooral-niet-te-kritisch-zijn/

Gepubliceerd op 30/03/2024

MIKA in AFAS Live: vooral niet te kritisch zijn

Amsterdam bruist dit weekend met tal van events die het festivalseizoen van 2024 openen.

De meest mierzoette daarvan: het concert van MIKA in AFAS Live.

Een kleurrijk spektakel waarbij alle middelen werden geheiligd voor dat ultieme doel: met een glimlach naar buiten.

Wie de kritische bril op zet, kan best wat afdingen aan de twee uur die MIKA hier (voorprogrammaloos) vult. Van de 19 tracks die worden gespeeld, zijn er 10 van de eerste 2 albums: de nieuwste daarvan kwam 15 jaar geleden uit. De overige 9 tracks zijn ook zonder uitzondering platen om afwisselend naar de bar en de wc te gaan. Echt relevant kun je MIKA daarmee moeilijk noemen, ondanks de revival die de Libanees-Britse popzanger kreeg na zijn presentatie van Eurovision afgelopen jaar.

Ook technisch valt het op dat de microfoon bij de refreinen van tracks als ‘Relax (Take It Easy)’, ‘Rain’ of ‘Happy Ending’ vaker langs het lichaam hangt dan aan de mond staat. Logisch dat je 17 jaar na dato niet alle hoge tonen meer haalt, dus dan maar springen en het enthousiaste publiek en backing vocals dat deel laten oppakken. De praatjes tussendoor voelen wat cringy aan: als we voor elke keer dat het woord ‘Amsterdam’ of ‘Love’ zou vallen pils moesten halen bij de bar (à 7,50!) waren we nu brak en blut geweest. Hypothetisch.

Niet te moeilijk

Maar goed, MIKA is hier niet om een paar snobs te overtuigen met het wereldrecord strakste show ooit spelen. Het doel van de avond is duidelijk: niet te moeilijk, wel volop dansen en meezingen. De kleuren spatten vanaf moment 1 het podium af, recht de lichamen van de stijf uitverkochte AFAS in. Over een gebrek aan inzet kun je niet klagen: tijdens track 2 staat de rasentertainer al midden in het publiek te zingen en het aantal outfit changes vindt zelfs Madonna indrukwekkend: we noteren achtereenvolgens een felrood pak met duivelsvleugels, dan een felroze pak, een goudenglitterpak, zilverglitterpak, een emoji-pak, lila bloemenpak, een delftsblauwpak , een pino-blauw verenpak en een wit-roze bladerenpak.

Naast MIKA staat er een live band op het podium. Dat geeft weliswaar wat vulling aan de stage, maar ze zijn duidelijk ondergeschikt aan de rest van de show. Heel letterlijk ook, want ze staan op een podium dat als een robotstofzuiger rond kan bewegen en op die manier passen ze elk nummer weer aan aan de wisselende decorstukken.

Regenbloogclub

Ook de rest van de show pakt uit met een dusdanig kermislevel dat we ons af en toe op Paaspop wanen. Niks wordt geschuwd: vuur- en vuurwerk, MIKA vliegend op decorstukken die uit het dak komen, grote karaoke-lyrics op het immense scherm achterin de zaal (alsof we de tekst van ‘Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)’ niet kennen). Twee uur lang wordt hier een sprookjeswereld opgetuigd en wie zin heeft om in de regenboogclub (er komen zelfs regenbogen uit piano’s) alles van zichzelf te geven, heeft de avond van z’n leven.

En waarom zou je dat ook niet doen? MIKA vat het zelf prima samen: ‘Het is vrijdagavond. Het is lente. We hebben een lang weekend. Het kan allemaal erger.’ Zo is het. Lach op de smoel, nostalgie modus aan en voetjes van de vloer.

Google translator

Reveal hidden contents

MIKA in AFAS Live: above all, don't be too critical

Amsterdam is buzzing this weekend with numerous events that open the 2024 festival season.

The sweetest of these: MIKA's concert in AFAS Live.

A colorful spectacle in which all resources were dedicated to that ultimate goal: going out with a smile.

Anyone who puts on a critical eye can negotiate quite a bit about the two hours that MIKA fills here (without support programme). Of the 19 tracks played, 10 are from the first 2 albums: the latest of which was released 15 years ago. The other 9 tracks are also, without exception, records for alternating between going to the bar and the toilet. It is difficult to call MIKA truly relevant, despite the revival that the Lebanese-British pop singer received after his presentation at Eurovision last year.

It is also technically striking that during the choruses of tracks such as 'Relax (Take It Easy)', 'Rain' or 'Happy Ending' the microphone often hangs along the body rather than at the mouth. It's logical that 17 years later you can't hit all the high notes anymore, so you just jump and let the enthusiastic audience and backing vocals pick up that part. The conversations in between feel a bit cringy: if we had to get a beer from the bar (7.50 each time the word 'Amsterdam' or 'Love' was mentioned) we would be broke and broke by now. Hypothetical.

Not too difficult

Anyway, MIKA isn't here to convince a few snobs by playing the world record tightest show ever. The goal of the evening is clear: not too difficult, but plenty of dancing and singing along. The colors burst from the stage from moment 1, straight into the bodies of the sold-out AFAS. You can't complain about a lack of effort: during track 2 the born entertainer is already singing in the middle of the audience and even Madonna finds the number of outfit changes impressive: we successively note a bright red suit with devil wings, then a bright pink suit, a gold glitter suit, silver glitter suit, an emoji suit, lilac flower suit, a delft blue suit, a pino blue plumage suit and a white-pink leaf suit.

In addition to MIKA, there is a live band on stage. That does add some substance to the stage, but they are clearly subordinate to the rest of the show. Very literally too, because they stand on a stage that can move around like a robot vacuum cleaner and in this way they adapt each song to the changing set pieces.

Regenbloogclub

The rest of the show also has such a fairground level that we occasionally feel like we are at Paaspop. Nothing is avoided: fire and fireworks, MIKA flying on set pieces coming out of the roof, large karaoke lyrics on the immense screen at the back of the room (as if we don't know the lyrics to 'Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)'). A fairytale world will be set up here for two hours and anyone who wants to give everything of themselves in the rainbow club (there are even rainbows coming out of pianos) will have the evening of their life.

And why wouldn't you? MIKA sums it up perfectly: 'It's Friday evening. It's spring. We have a long weekend. It could all be worse.' That's how it is. Smile on your face, nostalgia mode on and feet off the floor.

This is pretty much very close to what my sister (who is not a Mika fan) said about the Berlin gig. I was a little bit (or quite a lot  ;-)) more enthusiastic...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

PRESS

Festileaks

https://festileaks.com/2024/03/mika-in-afas-live-vooral-niet-te-kritisch-zijn/

Gepubliceerd op 30/03/2024

MIKA in AFAS Live: vooral niet te kritisch zijn

Amsterdam bruist dit weekend met tal van events die het festivalseizoen van 2024 openen.

De meest mierzoette daarvan: het concert van MIKA in AFAS Live.

Een kleurrijk spektakel waarbij alle middelen werden geheiligd voor dat ultieme doel: met een glimlach naar buiten.

Wie de kritische bril op zet, kan best wat afdingen aan de twee uur die MIKA hier (voorprogrammaloos) vult. Van de 19 tracks die worden gespeeld, zijn er 10 van de eerste 2 albums: de nieuwste daarvan kwam 15 jaar geleden uit. De overige 9 tracks zijn ook zonder uitzondering platen om afwisselend naar de bar en de wc te gaan. Echt relevant kun je MIKA daarmee moeilijk noemen, ondanks de revival die de Libanees-Britse popzanger kreeg na zijn presentatie van Eurovision afgelopen jaar.

Ook technisch valt het op dat de microfoon bij de refreinen van tracks als ‘Relax (Take It Easy)’, ‘Rain’ of ‘Happy Ending’ vaker langs het lichaam hangt dan aan de mond staat. Logisch dat je 17 jaar na dato niet alle hoge tonen meer haalt, dus dan maar springen en het enthousiaste publiek en backing vocals dat deel laten oppakken. De praatjes tussendoor voelen wat cringy aan: als we voor elke keer dat het woord ‘Amsterdam’ of ‘Love’ zou vallen pils moesten halen bij de bar (à 7,50!) waren we nu brak en blut geweest. Hypothetisch.

Niet te moeilijk

Maar goed, MIKA is hier niet om een paar snobs te overtuigen met het wereldrecord strakste show ooit spelen. Het doel van de avond is duidelijk: niet te moeilijk, wel volop dansen en meezingen. De kleuren spatten vanaf moment 1 het podium af, recht de lichamen van de stijf uitverkochte AFAS in. Over een gebrek aan inzet kun je niet klagen: tijdens track 2 staat de rasentertainer al midden in het publiek te zingen en het aantal outfit changes vindt zelfs Madonna indrukwekkend: we noteren achtereenvolgens een felrood pak met duivelsvleugels, dan een felroze pak, een goudenglitterpak, zilverglitterpak, een emoji-pak, lila bloemenpak, een delftsblauwpak , een pino-blauw verenpak en een wit-roze bladerenpak.

Naast MIKA staat er een live band op het podium. Dat geeft weliswaar wat vulling aan de stage, maar ze zijn duidelijk ondergeschikt aan de rest van de show. Heel letterlijk ook, want ze staan op een podium dat als een robotstofzuiger rond kan bewegen en op die manier passen ze elk nummer weer aan aan de wisselende decorstukken.

Regenbloogclub

Ook de rest van de show pakt uit met een dusdanig kermislevel dat we ons af en toe op Paaspop wanen. Niks wordt geschuwd: vuur- en vuurwerk, MIKA vliegend op decorstukken die uit het dak komen, grote karaoke-lyrics op het immense scherm achterin de zaal (alsof we de tekst van ‘Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)’ niet kennen). Twee uur lang wordt hier een sprookjeswereld opgetuigd en wie zin heeft om in de regenboogclub (er komen zelfs regenbogen uit piano’s) alles van zichzelf te geven, heeft de avond van z’n leven.

En waarom zou je dat ook niet doen? MIKA vat het zelf prima samen: ‘Het is vrijdagavond. Het is lente. We hebben een lang weekend. Het kan allemaal erger.’ Zo is het. Lach op de smoel, nostalgie modus aan en voetjes van de vloer.

Google translator

Reveal hidden contents

MIKA in AFAS Live: above all, don't be too critical

Amsterdam is buzzing this weekend with numerous events that open the 2024 festival season.

The sweetest of these: MIKA's concert in AFAS Live.

A colorful spectacle in which all resources were dedicated to that ultimate goal: going out with a smile.

Anyone who puts on a critical eye can negotiate quite a bit about the two hours that MIKA fills here (without support programme). Of the 19 tracks played, 10 are from the first 2 albums: the latest of which was released 15 years ago. The other 9 tracks are also, without exception, records for alternating between going to the bar and the toilet. It is difficult to call MIKA truly relevant, despite the revival that the Lebanese-British pop singer received after his presentation at Eurovision last year.

It is also technically striking that during the choruses of tracks such as 'Relax (Take It Easy)', 'Rain' or 'Happy Ending' the microphone often hangs along the body rather than at the mouth. It's logical that 17 years later you can't hit all the high notes anymore, so you just jump and let the enthusiastic audience and backing vocals pick up that part. The conversations in between feel a bit cringy: if we had to get a beer from the bar (7.50 each time the word 'Amsterdam' or 'Love' was mentioned) we would be broke and broke by now. Hypothetical.

Not too difficult

Anyway, MIKA isn't here to convince a few snobs by playing the world record tightest show ever. The goal of the evening is clear: not too difficult, but plenty of dancing and singing along. The colors burst from the stage from moment 1, straight into the bodies of the sold-out AFAS. You can't complain about a lack of effort: during track 2 the born entertainer is already singing in the middle of the audience and even Madonna finds the number of outfit changes impressive: we successively note a bright red suit with devil wings, then a bright pink suit, a gold glitter suit, silver glitter suit, an emoji suit, lilac flower suit, a delft blue suit, a pino blue plumage suit and a white-pink leaf suit.

In addition to MIKA, there is a live band on stage. That does add some substance to the stage, but they are clearly subordinate to the rest of the show. Very literally too, because they stand on a stage that can move around like a robot vacuum cleaner and in this way they adapt each song to the changing set pieces.

Regenbloogclub

The rest of the show also has such a fairground level that we occasionally feel like we are at Paaspop. Nothing is avoided: fire and fireworks, MIKA flying on set pieces coming out of the roof, large karaoke lyrics on the immense screen at the back of the room (as if we don't know the lyrics to 'Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)'). A fairytale world will be set up here for two hours and anyone who wants to give everything of themselves in the rainbow club (there are even rainbows coming out of pianos) will have the evening of their life.

And why wouldn't you? MIKA sums it up perfectly: 'It's Friday evening. It's spring. We have a long weekend. It could all be worse.' That's how it is. Smile on your face, nostalgia mode on and feet off the floor.

This is the most Dutch review I’ve ever read good god.🥲

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Maaikie... said:

One more proof that Dutch and Germans are obviously close neighbors in many regards :lol3:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Maaikie... said:

My thoughts exactly :doh:

1 minute ago, Deepblue said:

One more proof that Dutch and Germans are obviously close neighbors in many regards :lol3:

Unfortunately, you’re very right. This comes from a Dutch person living in Germany! 

• Haha 1

Well, we've got a saying in German that freely translates to "three times not scolded is once praised". Obviously, that also applies to the Netherlands :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 8:19 AM, holdingyourdrink said:

Will write a full report later, but I was incredibly surprised to see the entirety of QTTFT go up in smoke. The show was amazing nonetheless, please don’t get me wrong. This time I was an “angel” and not an “enfant terrible”, so I had a better view of the general atmosphere. And I can tell you all the way up to the angels people LOVED it, but it was not thanks to the setlist, it is thanks to HIM. Mika is a force!

He could’ve EASILY kept Jane Birkin and C’est La Vie in my opinion. And I am saying this with a slight pang in my heart, because I really did adore Rain on the Apocalypse Club as it’s my favourite live, but it deserves C’est La Vie of all songs. 

The English adaptation of Bougez was incredible. Just like the French version it pulled people right in, no mistake about that. I can understand why he did that in a non-French speaking country, especially as it’s the first song of the show. It serves to pull people in and set the tone. And it pulls in people even more if it’s a language they understand. Smart move with same energy.

Also, there were no songs from MNIMH (there weren’t in the French leg of the tour either, but if he wanted to stick to English for this setlist he could’ve chosen from that album as well). He said he hasn’t been back in Amsterdam for more than 8 years, but he also didn’t show off enough of the songs he has done in the last 8 years. Which we all agree are absolute gems!

I loved the show yesterday and I also loved the setlist, because I just love his music. But at the same time it makes me very sad in my fan heart that he is selling himself short by sticking to his first four albums. The new audience who doesn’t know Mika initially know him by the 4 classics (GK, Relax, Lollipop, Big Girls - right?). The 15 other songs of the show are new to them anyway. 

I hope he will come back to the Netherlands very soon, much sooner than 8 years. The show was sold out for months, he attracts the audience easily. I hope he will consider having a setlist that will include all of his albums, the Dutch people will love it. I guarantee you that they will adore it. 

I agree as a Dutchie here :D I'd have loved to hear his more recent songs and more songs of Apocalypse Calypso. It being my first time seeing him live I absolutely loved hearing all the classics and English songs of course, but I'd love hearing the new French songs if they were to be included a bit more! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Koen5838 said:

I agree as a Dutchie here :D I'd have loved to hear his more recent songs and more songs of Apocalypse Calypso. It being my first time seeing him live I absolutely loved hearing all the classics and English songs of course, but I'd love hearing the new French songs if they were to be included a bit more! 

Hello fellow Dutchie :wink2: Glad to hear you agree! Especially since you saw him the first time live! It seems like you had a wonderful time, it really was an amazing show. I hope he will return to the Netherlands sooner rather than later. The audience adored him, he would sell out any show in any part of the Netherlands, no matter the setlist.

• Like 2