The magic of Mika

Mika Mad

Don't you think it's weird that Mika's music has so many identifiable influences and yet sounds so completely different to anything else?

When listening to the album, I'm constantly spotting bits that remind me vaguely of other songs or other singers/bands, yet the overall sound is distinctively new!

I can't quite work out how he manages to do this and to have such a talent at only 23 is totally amazing.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has to do with how and to what extent he uses his influences...to me, a good artist has lots of influences, and like Mika, uses bits and pieces of each one here and there, so that they blend together and create a unique sound, as well as throwing lots of their own unique stuff in, so that it ever so often makes you go "I swear I've heard something like that somewhere else..." but is subtle enough that you can't just go, "aha, this sounds just like soandso..." these factors, coupled with Mika's incredible voice, all contribute, in my opinion to the, as you call it "The Magic of Mika"

:original:

that's because he is a very talented guy, even if he's so young...passin' the time he will become one of the best singer, musician ever!!!!!:wink2:

he is so talented, and a music genius, that he can use in the better way all the influences, without copying...he starts from the influences and creates something completly new!!!that's amazin'!!!!!!!!!

yes your right to call that "Magic"...it's a kind of magic...:punk:

I have noticed bits of things from songs or tunes I recognise, the one that jumped out first was the first bar of "My Interpetation" reminds me of the Dawson Creek theme.

:thumb_yello:

One dream one soul one prriizzzzzeee one goal

one golden glance....of what should be.... :biggrin2:

yes, I know most of the words to Queen's songs...:original:

but yeah, I already posted my thoughts on Mika's Magic, and agree with what everyone else has said as well. *nods*

dont ya think big girls (you are beautiful) is just like fat bottomed girls? any1 else think that?? lol

My mum was just saying that in the car! The first few seconds at the beginning (not the slurping noise but the bit where he goes- big girl you are beautiful) are really simular.

Even though I say that, his music is totally individual!

I disagree.

I think that it's really only the sentiment behind the words that it similar.

The tune, the arrangement and the style are all quite different.

If when you are listening to it you imagine other words about something completely different, it suddenly doesn't seem much of a similarity!

I'm sure that Mika wouldn't be so obvious as to rip off both the tune and the words of another song -he's far too clever for that.