Mika in this weeks Veronica Magazine

Zahara

As promised, here is the translation of the interview he had with the dutch Veronica Magazine ;)

As you might notice, there are some words which I coloured red.. I'm sorry, but i don't know the right translation for those words ;)

---

Mika

the new Mercury?

He created an anthem for big girls, is being compared to Freddie Mercury and scores a hit with Grace Kelly. Mika (23) is ready to conquer the world with confetti and coloured balloons.

The gigs of Micheal Holbrook Penniman, better known as Mika, are equally colourful and flamboyant as the cover of his debut-album Life in Cartoon Motion.

While girls with Alice in Wonderland-dresses and blond wigs run through the London club Koko, Mika enters the stage. The singer of Lebanese and Amercian roots has been the favourite of gay people, renowned music journalists and.. well, almost everyone.

Musically he's comparable to Justin Hawkins and -why not- Freddie Mercury. Heself understands why: "I think that Freddie and I have the same context: parents from several cultures, education with traditional music, a fascination for opera... I have never been a Queen-fan: I was too young for that.

But what I find weird is that I collect Japanese art, Japanese toys and maquettes of opera houses just like Mercury did. Also I regularly go on holiday to cities with famous opera houses; he did the same"

Also Queen-gitarist Brian May sees the similarities. The old stager stands on a little balustrade while he watches Mika treats his public with some vocal gymnastics. After the performance he will say to Mika that he finds him very talented. That the young singer has a lot of power in his voice and his charisma and that this can lead to massive things. When Mika tells this to us the next day, he still gets shy.

Dancing bears.

Mika's life wasn't always about roses. After he moved from Paris to London, he fell in a black hole.. He hated school and even decided to stop talking. "In Paris I had an exceptional live, in London it was completely different. I entirely tensed up. Fortunately my parents took me from school very quickly. Eventually I staid home for seven months. In that period I started to begin writing music." Mika also took lessons at a singcoach. "It wasn't just lalala, but really achtletic learns to use your voice. You could call it Russian Hardcore training"

And he learned the most important lesson in life: Always have fun!

"You should never lose your fantasy! I see life as Disneyland for adults. completely with dancing bears. I try to let that flow into my music. I work with a small notebook; one half is full with texts, the other one with little drawings. I even colour them! It seems more of a colourbook than a notebook. If i hear melodies, in my mind I see these dancing girls with blue corsets, you know?"

Barbra Streisand

As a kid Mika was already obsessed with melodies. His favourite game was to listen to a song and then think of an even better melody! And he realised he had a really good voice: "Better than a lot of other kids.. But then: I worked with it like a maniac! Somewhere in me there is this Barbra Streisind kind of Jewish mum that only wants to improve and continue. I'm not an easy quiter"

Yet, Mika can hardly listen to himself. Singing is for him a way to tell his stories; all tricks he does with his voice need to add something to the stories. "The 'vocal-masturbation' that Christina Aguilera does is boring!!"

"I make music because I want to say something.. I want to take you to my fantasies.."

---

There is a picture of Billy Brown (from the album cover), Lollipop Girl (very small) and Mika (which i'm not giong to add because i'm sure everyone has seen it already ;) it's the promo pic where he stands on his feet.. or something like that.. :bleh: )

for the dutchies: het artikel in het Nederlands

That's it!

xX Zahara.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Zahara! Also for the translation for the non-Dutchies! :)

Veronica Magazine was in the mail today, so I just read the article in the actual magazine. There's a drawing of Lollipop Girl and one of Billy Brown with it, together with this famous pic.

I work with a small notebook; one half is full with texts, the other one with little drawings. I even colour them! It seems more of a colourbook than a notebook. If i hear melodies, in my mind I see these dancing girls with blue corsets, you know?[/b]"

I want to see, I want to see that some day!! :shocked:

I bought it today! Love the little pic of lollipop girl in the corner :naughty:

There is also a article about Mika in the Oor of this week, but it costs 6,70 euro wich was a bit to expansive for me to buy, Mika is already costing me too much mony with al the articles in the Dutch magazines :wink2:

I bought it today! Love the little pic of lollipop girl in the corner :naughty:

There is also a article about Mika in the Oor of this week, but it costs 6,70 euro wich was a bit to expansive for me to buy, Mika is already costing me too much mony with al the articles in the Dutch magazines :wink2:

He's a big meanie! :naughty:

Takes away our time and money! :lmao:

Of course Im kidding...