mika in the scotsman may 18th

so_rococo

Mika

DAVID POLLOCK

MIKA

BARROWLAND, GLASGOW

FLAVOUR of the year Mika may well come off unfavourably in comparison to a recently-revived great of pop performance like Prince, but his penchant for the bizarre yet crowd-pleasing set-piece is developing at such a rate that he might yet hold his own.

It's hard to believe that this is the same artist who played to an audience barely out of double figures downstairs at Nice 'n' Sleazy towards the end of last year. Now he's selling out the Barrowland and working it like it was the kind of stage he was born for.

His appeal isn't hard to pin down - he writes effortlessly memorable pop songs which are full of joy and a dash of sexual innuendo, in much the same way as the Scissor Sisters.

Wearing his trademark outfit of white shirt, trousers and braces, and spinning and flailing around like a madman, he whipped the crowd into almost ridiculous levels of excitement. Each of the big numbers felt laboratory-designed to come close to naïve pop perfection, and the ecstatic reactions to Grace Kelly and Love Today were matched by those provoked by the slightly Elton John-sounding piano rocker Billy Brown and the Freddie Mercury bombast of Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), for which he was joined onstage by a beautiful big girl in a burlesque stripper's outfit.

Covers of Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) and the Jackson Five's I Want You Back showed Mika's back catalogue isn't yet big enough to sustain a full set. Yet, when he and his band appeared for the encore of Lollipop with animal costumes and tickertape, I couldn't help feeling here was an artist with a long career ahead of him.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, when he and his band appeared for the encore of Lollipop with animal costumes and tickertape, I couldn't help feeling here was an artist with a long career ahead of him.

:yay:

That's the kind of review we love to read! Thanks for posting! :)

dcdeb

Wow he's compared him to Prince....

Oh yeah. I'm a huge Prince fan (as you can probably see from my avatar), and I see a lot of similarities to Prince in Mika's performances. Everything from the clothes, the messy hair, the high energy, the attitude, and of course, the amazing falsetto made me think of Prince from the early 80's. As long as he keeps up the good work, I think Mika will have a long and varied career like Prince too. :punk:

This is Prince in 1981.

CONTROV.jpg