Article i found..

Article i found, not crazy about all the comparisons and crap, found it here -> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2083732,00.html

Fat bottomed girls are back

Mika channels the spirit of Freddie Mercury, while Mark Ronson's covers keep the party alive

Kitty Empire

Sunday May 20, 2007

The Observer

For a man on a mission to dominate pop, Mika is unexpectedly tall. Normally, you could put such Napoleonic ambition down to a lack in the size department, as you might wiggle your little finger at a small man in a souped-up red sports car.

But this cod psychology does not wash with Mika, the Beirut-born, Paris-raised and London-minted powerhouse of Noughties kitsch pop. In the flesh at his biggest London gig so far, he gangles and lurches, a head of luxuriant curls crowning a leggy white suit that recalls his most obvious forebear, Freddie Mercury.

Mika modelled for Paul Smith before he hit with 'Grace Kelly' but tonight, he lollops around like a big kid, not quite in full ownership of his long limbs. During 'Love Today' he jumps on top of the drumkit then leaps off, almost breaking something.

Every time you want to cover your ears and howl at the man's clunking literalism, at his stewed balladry, his derivations, you forgive him a tiny bit because he does such a convincing Tigger act. Stages were invented for show-offs such as Mika, for their own safety, and the sanity of their friends and family. It's just a shame that Mika is such a gooey collage of past camp masters, rather than his own man. He has confessed to being part of 'the Greatest Hits generation', a musical cherry-picker who can't see the point of anything that hasn't already been successful. But you don't get to be a pan-sexual pop enigma without a few ideas of your own, rather than relying solely on razzmatazz and homage.

As with Freddie, Elton John and the Scissor Sisters, nothing is too over-the-top for Mika. For 'Big Girl (You are Beautiful)'- Mika's homage to Queen's 'Fat-Bottomed Girls' - he is joined by curvaceous dancers (clunk!) in turquoise basques. On 'Billy Brown', two trombonists tootle merrily in the background while Mika does one of his more enjoyable impressions, of the Beatles. During 'Grace Kelly', Mika's name is spelled out in giant inflatable white balloon letters.

As though that weren't enough fun, the band return for the encore dressed in animal costumes. 'Lollipop' (such a borderline dodgy helping of paedo-pop that Californian social services banned kids from singing on it at Mika's recording sessions) ends with glitter cannons, and balloons, and giant letters spelling L-O-V-E. Pop's most enduring coalition of consumers, gay men and small children provide maximum adulation tonight. By the end, at least one little girl is fast asleep on her dad's shoulder, worn out from all the excitement.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Article i found, not crazy about all the comparisons but i liked it overall, found it here -> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2083732,00.html

Fat bottomed girls are back

Mika channels the spirit of Freddie Mercury, while Mark Ronson's covers keep the party alive

Kitty Empire

Sunday May 20, 2007

The Observer

For a man on a mission to dominate pop, Mika is unexpectedly tall. Normally, you could put such Napoleonic ambition down to a lack in the size department, as you might wiggle your little finger at a small man in a souped-up red sports car.

But this cod psychology does not wash with Mika, the Beirut-born, Paris-raised and London-minted powerhouse of Noughties kitsch pop. In the flesh at his biggest London gig so far, he gangles and lurches, a head of luxuriant curls crowning a leggy white suit that recalls his most obvious forebear, Freddie Mercury.

Mika modelled for Paul Smith before he hit with 'Grace Kelly' but tonight, he lollops around like a big kid, not quite in full ownership of his long limbs. During 'Love Today' he jumps on top of the drumkit then leaps off, almost breaking something.

Every time you want to cover your ears and howl at the man's clunking literalism, at his stewed balladry, his derivations, you forgive him a tiny bit because he does such a convincing Tigger act. Stages were invented for show-offs such as Mika, for their own safety, and the sanity of their friends and family. It's just a shame that Mika is such a gooey collage of past camp masters, rather than his own man. He has confessed to being part of 'the Greatest Hits generation', a musical cherry-picker who can't see the point of anything that hasn't already been successful. But you don't get to be a pan-sexual pop enigma without a few ideas of your own, rather than relying solely on razzmatazz and homage.

As with Freddie, Elton John and the Scissor Sisters, nothing is too over-the-top for Mika. For 'Big Girl (You are Beautiful)'- Mika's homage to Queen's 'Fat-Bottomed Girls' - he is joined by curvaceous dancers (clunk!) in turquoise basques. On 'Billy Brown', two trombonists tootle merrily in the background while Mika does one of his more enjoyable impressions, of the Beatles. During 'Grace Kelly', Mika's name is spelled out in giant inflatable white balloon letters.

As though that weren't enough fun, the band return for the encore dressed in animal costumes. 'Lollipop' (such a borderline dodgy helping of paedo-pop that Californian social services banned kids from singing on it at Mika's recording sessions) ends with glitter cannons, and balloons, and giant letters spelling L-O-V-E. Pop's most enduring coalition of consumers, gay men and small children provide maximum adulation tonight. By the end, at least one little girl is fast asleep on her dad's shoulder, worn out from all the excitement.

OH NO THEY DIDN'T!:protest:

Thanks for the link! Hahah, speaking of musicians and height, something's been in the water around the UK lately, eh? There's our Mika, and then there's Patrick Wolf (also 6'4") and then there's Calvin Harris measuring in at 6'5" even.

Quite the gangly bunch.

--Jack

I think this is a thinly veiled put down...don't like this review at all.:thumbdown:

And as if Big girls has anything to do with Queen's song...pah!

I know. I am a fan of Queen and have never even thought of comparing the two songs....just because no one else sings about Big Girls....silly, I say!!!

Oh, thanx so much for posting!

Thats sort of wrong!!! I admire the way he moves...so gracious, which is not frequent for a tall person!

He has confessed to being part of 'the Greatest Hits generation', a musical cherry-picker who can't see the point of anything that hasn't already been successful.

Completely disagree. reading his interviews I've got an impression that the guys musical horizon (together with knowledge of literature, and modern, and not only, art and design is quite extensive...)

Pop's most enduring coalition of consumers, gay men and small children provide maximum adulation tonight.

Hmmmmmm...:boxed: so who would I be....a gay man? :shocked: a consumer?....:thumbdown: I think I'll pick a small child, cos thats exactly the way I feel listening to his music:wub2:

Why are journalists so critical of Mika? It does my head in when people slate something because its different. Also, why the need to compare him all the time and catagorise him. <to journalist-> Phiff, go get a life and actually try to write an objective article coz not everyone cares about your opinions!

think they should come here and see the wide varity of mika fans:sneaky2: leeds was mixed thou a hugh % of older ppl i think!!

You're not joking, the man next to me said he was 70! He did have a young bird in tow though, in fact, he was the one in tow! :roftl:

Queen's song is wonderful as Mika's one, but songs are very different.

Except for the title which reminds Queen" Fat bottomed girls" and for the choir intro which both songs have, there's one only thing who causes the comparision: Mika's powerful, amazing voice that a lot of people compare to Freddie's one.

For the rest of the article...rubbish.

I thought of a whole lot of remarks on this but I think the best thing is to ignore the whole article and close the thread.

We enjoy Mika and that is all that counts here on the MFC.

Nel

I thought of a whole lot of remarks on this but I think the best thing is to ignore the whole article and close the thread.

We enjoy Mika and that is all that counts here on the MFC.

Nel

You're right. I don't care about stupid yournalists and articles. We all know Mika is great! :)