Mika New Release - Daily Mail Review

people like you are, thats true...lets find a balanced place between old reacs and young greeders

Ha! Greedy? What's all this about the DVD "leaking" on eBay or whatever? I've only just read Niki's post and I haven't even been on here in yonks. If anyone is greedy on this forum it certainly ain't me - I'm way out of the loop!

So PFFFT on you :bleh:

[/childishmoment]

:biggrin2:

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allegra,

I partly do agree with what you said. As a fan, I do think it's a matter of respect we don't buy so-called official copies of this DVD on ebay before it's officially released because we all know this copy wasn't meant to be sold at all.

I doubt mika is aware these copies are to be found on ebay. It'd be very naive to think artists know these kind of things, everything's in the hands of their management, including the choice of the persons who get the dvd as a primeur, and I doubt universal peeps are spending their time on ebay. As Deb said, we will inform Jerry of what's going on. As mods, that's basically all we can do.

Now, I'm not blaming BE for mentionning it all on the forum, although it was bound to provoke angry reactions and - maybe - a bit of jealousy. At least we know, and the management'll know, and even tho it's not our job to protect Mika, it doesnt hurt to keep the boy informed from what's going on I guess.

What difference is it gonna make to Mika if we do or do not buy a dvd on ebay? oh wait, I can answer that: Absolutely NONE!

What difference is it gonna make to Mika if we do or do not buy a dvd on ebay? oh wait, I can answer that: Absolutely NONE!

I agree.

But what difference is it gonna do to Mika if you steal the DVD from the shop?

Absolutely NONE.

I'm just saying we shouldn't encourage or give our money to people who are using their position in the industry to make profits using fans who are a bit too keen to see the DVD before anyone else.

lol....LIIITTTLLE question....if you buy Mika's DVD in a shop or something....doesn't some of the money you use to buy it go towards him? or just his management? And if bought on eBay, doesn't all the money just go towards the seller?

That's not me being awkward or anything, and I apologise if I am....just a question...

I doubt mika is aware these copies are to be found on ebay. It'd be very naive to think artists know these kind of things, everything's in the hands of their management, including the choice of the persons who get the dvd as a primeur, and I doubt universal peeps are spending their time on ebay. As Deb said, we will inform Jerry of what's going on. As mods, that's basically all we can do.

all the artists are quite aware about it. if mika wouldnt be then he would be the only one, singers are always joking about ebay, nver heard? its very well known.

caz, i know:wink2:

I agree.

But what difference is it gonna do to Mika if you steal the DVD from the shop?

Absolutely NONE.

I'm just saying we shouldn't encourage or give our money to people who are using their position in the industry to make profits using fans who are a bit too keen to see the DVD before anyone else.

Which is why I don't personally buy that kind of **** on ebay! But to project it over to a matter of whether we respect Mika or not is just nonsense!

lol....LIIITTTLLE question....if you buy Mika's DVD in a shop or something....doesn't some of the money you use to buy it go towards him? or just his management? And if bought on eBay, doesn't all the money just go towards the seller?

That's not me being awkward or anything, and I apologise if I am....just a question...

Yes, but I doubt he's gonna actually feel the difference you know...he's hardly starving.

Which is why I don't personally buy that kind of **** on ebay! But to project it over to a matter of whether we respect Mika or not is just nonsense!

Indeed. It's more a respect towards yourself and what your values are.

If people can't wait 4 weeks and prefer to buy some stolen copy from Ebay, their choice, like you said, I don't think Mika'll lose sleep over it. But again, we shouldn't, as a fanclub - and first and foremost as sensible people-, encourage that kind of behaviour.

Well Blue Eyes better bake him some cookies then, it's evidently her fault :sneaky2:

LOL, I'm feeling as though this is some fanclub joke but I'm unaware of it, so I'll laugh and giggle and chortle and then be on my merry way :)

Haha, hehe, hoho.

It's ok he can have more bacon sandwiches and hot dogs and his mum will put an extra sugar in his coffee. :wink2:

I thought he liked DeCaf? Or is that only Tea?

Oh pffft, I never DeCaf anything. I don't know how to DeCaf anything. I don't know if sugar is anything to do with DeCaf.

Haha, hehe, hoho.

people are responsible for themselves and they know what they do, they dont need to be told whats right or not especially not for the moment in this repressive socio-political climate

Indeed. It's more a respect towards yourself and what your values are.

If people can't wait 4 weeks and prefer to buy some stolen copy from Ebay, their choice, like you said, I don't think Mika'll lose sleep over it. But again, we shouldn't, as a fanclub - and first and foremost as sensible people-, encourage that kind of behaviour.

I just don't think we should decourage it either....or at least we shouldn't make it out as if it is a mortal sin - most of us are grown people and able to make our own individual choices. And to say we can't discuss something that is evidently available, whether you like the way it's available or not, is just stupid in my opinion.

people like you are, thats true...lets find a balanced place between old reacs and young greeders

I am not an old reactionary, I use the internet as much as anyone for heavens sake!

But I can be patient and wait for the new stuff to come out, even if it does get leaked on the internet.

I thought he liked DeCaf? Or is that only Tea?

Oh pffft, I never DeCaf anything. I don't know how to DeCaf anything. I don't know if sugar is anything to do with DeCaf.

Haha, hehe, hoho.

Nah, decaf just takes the caffeine out of it. But I really don't understand why people would want to drink coffee without it. It's the reason you drink it, no?

I am not an old reactionary, I use the internet as much as anyone for heavens sake!

But I can be patient and wait for the new stuff to come out, even if it does get leaked on the internet.

yeah i know, i just wanted to place the word reac in my sentence:naughty:

Nah, decaf just takes the caffeine out of it. But I really don't understand why people would want to drink coffee without it. It's the reason you drink it, no?

LOL, it's a bit like playing the keyboard without turning it on. haha. (I didn't know what else to compare it too, and since there's a keyboard right in front of me...)

I just don't think we should decourage it either....or at least we shouldn't make it out as if it is a mortal sin - most of us are grown people and able to make our own individual choices. And to say we can't discuss something that is evidently available, whether you like the way it's available or not, is just stupid in my opinion.

I never said it was a mortal sin lol. I just find it plain stupid. No offense BE, but I do think it aint smart to buy that kind of stuff, especially when the official release is so close to date. Besides, we don't know if the content of the official version will be the exact same as the content of the promo dvds. Remember that the last DVD had 2 versions, one without some bonusses. Would be a pity to have to buy another DVD just because you got the wrong version first.

And I don't remember saying we couldn't discuss it... have I said that? Am i losing it for good? :naughty: I do believe it's healthy and unevitable to discuss it.

I'm too tired to write properly, so I will just quote a few posts that I have collected whilst reading this thread....

:shocked: It's really about time for something tangible from the Mika world now - a gig, an album, whatever... before more mountains emerge from molehills here.

Personally, if I had gotten my hands on a copy (not illegal) of the not yet officially released dvd, I would have been just as excited about it and surely I would have wanted to share in some way, shape or form. I wouldn't put it into the 'leaked demos' category, as it is really something different.

I think Jules handeled it quite carefully and everything she said or showed just had the effect on me that I'm looking forward to getting my own copy. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know what the fuss is about.

I totally agree with this, VS.

In my eyes, Jules did nothing wrong, just the same that I would have probably done if I had been in that same situation.

I personally thank her for lettting us know, and if anything, it has actually made me a lot more excited about the upcoming DVD.

So I guess that makes me not so much a fan for NOT wanting to know what's on it 'til it comes out then?

I don't agree with ebay for selling promos, just as I don't agree with them for selling tickets for events that are meant to be free(the R1 Big Weekend events) or festival tickets where you need id to verify its your ticket.

Sorry if people don't get why I feel so strongly about this. But I m just not happy that certain people get to see the dvd before everyone one else.

Sometimes the internet can be a curse.

Ebay doesn't sell anything- Ebay merely allows people to use their site to sell things. I think that this is an important distinction :wink2:

But while we are at the ebay topic, I ask you: why is it different to sell these tickets or promo copies that you mention to selling for example regular tickets at 5 times the face value price?

It's a complex issue, that we can't really treat in such a black and white way I feel...There's a lot more to it than just saying "this is wrong",etc..

Rose, if this can be of any help, i can see your point.

i don't agree with promos (i always wonder about their origin...bah) sold on ebay cause they are a damage for the work and copyrights of ppl, and ,AS A FAN, i would not surely buy them.

i don't feel bad about some hints about the forecoming works though, probably i'd feel more comfortable if they came from mikateam direcly here on his fanclub.

These promos don't damage anyone's copyright, because the reason why they are out there is that the recording company temselves have put them out there to promote the work.

Surely they know the risks that they run by that?

all the artists are quite aware about it. if mika wouldnt be then he would be the only one, singers are always joking about ebay, nver heard? its very well known.

True. I'm sure that Mika would know that there is a chance that his promo dvd could end up on Ebay- He's joked about his autographs ending up there himself.

He once even said: "I may as well sign it with 'to Ebay with love,Mika' "

Basically, and in short, I think that we've made too much of a fuss over nothing. So, there are a couple of promo copies on Ebay which are technically not for resale.

Heck, that happens. Who is going to buy them? Fans, obviously.

What for? to watch them, or to show them. Result: the promotion that Mikateam were seeking.

I just can't see how this can affect him negatively. If anything, it will give him more publicity....so reallly, what is the problem?

I have no qualms in saying that I would buy one in a flash if I found one. And I will also buy the real deal when it comes out. I have a number of promos of Mika cd's just because I like to collect them. No big deal, really. I'm not planning on selling them or making any money out of them, but just giving them a loving home. I bet you that many of his "proper" cd's end up in worse places than mine :roftl:.

Also, I would agree that if there was a promo cd out there, I would have thought that showing the fanclub a trailer would have been a nice, normal thing to do.

Why are these things not happening? Again, I put it down to the micromanagement by Mika, and the lack of a professionally managed machine.

Just my opinion, obviously.

I never said it was a mortal sin lol.

And I don't remember saying we couldn't discuss it... have I said that? Am i losing it for good? :naughty: I do believe it's healthy and unevitable to discuss it.

I don't think you said it, I think it was implied by others.

I never said it was a mortal sin lol. I just find it plain stupid. No offense BE, but I do think it aint smart to buy that kind of stuff, especially when the official release is so close to date. Besides, we don't know if the content of the official version will be the exact same as the content of the promo dvds. Remember that the last DVD had 2 versions, one without some bonusses. Would be a pity to have to buy another DVD just because you got the wrong version first.

Ah well, lots of not too smart moves have been made on ebay, that's the risk when you wanna play that game. But I'm sure BE and whoever else buys stuff are fully aware of that and have taken that into their calculations.

And eh...okay guess you didn't say we shouldn't discuss it, you just came in and defended allegra's point of view, which very much contained that element, so I got it mixed up a bit there :insane:

I don't see the need to throw anyone a bone.

Before the internet, you waited for material to come out officially, no trailers being leaked and whatnot.

Whatever happened to having a little patience? Its only a month away from the release date, and no doubt the teasers will be on MS shortly (maybe!), for anyone really desperate for a look.

And as far as the EP is concerned, I suspect maybe if he's gonna do it, it'll be realeased around Christmas.

I think all of this is not so much about that particular dvd, its official trailers or lack thereof, than lack of Mika being out there the way he was last year.

I can only speak for myself of course, but I can say for sure that the constant promo situation he was in when I joined this forum, had a certain effect on me and on my expectations (and be it in a rather subconscious way, as I'm not that naive as to think it would go on this way forever). There was not a single week without either a gig or some tv performance or interview and whatnot. Naturally, the frequency of those activities has decreased, sure it had to, he can't do promo and gigs night after night after night until the end of his days - but I can't say I don't miss it.

About the dvd, I really don't care much if I get it the day it will be released, or two weeks later or for Christmas... To be honest, I'd trade it along with the prospect of the new album to be released asap for the chance to attend a gig featuring the old setlist soon-ish any day of the week. Yes, I'm sad like this. :emot-sad:

yes, risks about dishonest people who sell "not for sale" stuffs, risks about a bad brother of Mo who steals new songs from the recording studio (Mister Mo forgive me please, it is just an example), risks about courious fans who buy promo not realesed (and i understand them, to be a fan is an ilness...)

but i prefer to erase the risk about an almost official fan club who share in a public site stuffs not official.

and i repeat...it is not about the parc des princes dvd....

i was at the gig, i was with my friend Aurelien before and after his interview... the contained of the dvd is not a secret for me...

i especially speak about the future new songs

Still I have my doubts if the promo dvds being out there will cause huge damage. But that is just an opinion, not based on hard facts about the business, as I don't have those.

I agree about the future new songs, though, just because I think this is something different. Those must be far more precious to the writer than any dvd footage of a show that has already been attended by 50,000 people. I can see that having songs, maybe even demo versions leaked before the official release can be something to be avoided.

BUT I also have to say, being a fan, which I am, obviously :naughty:, I'd still be delighted being able to listen to anything new that comes across my way. Natural. It would prevent me from buying the album just as little as knowing that Es Devlin's creations are shown on the dvd will prevent me from getting the dvd. The opposite is the case. And this is not because I don't respect Mika, much more because I can't get enough of him.

I can totally see where Rose is coming from, though. We're all just so greedy now! ha :P

I kinda understand Rose, too, but from what I have read, it seems to be more of a general approach concerning trailers of all sorts, not particularly about Mika's stuff. So it would be said if anyone felt attacked by strong feelings.

I'm sure that Mika won't starve now because of footage or demos or anything on the internet. He said himself in various interviews that the internet offers a lot of chances. And what was that about GK getting on #1 without being officially released? :wink2: