are we just shallow?

hunnyangel

That doesn't make you shallow. You just like what you see and hear, the same as most all of us. You can't say that it's shallow if you haven't been presented with any more information. If you DID know Mica and only liked him for the way that he looked, that would be shallow. :)

ok:) thank yous:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't make you shallow. You just like what you see and hear, the same as most all of us. You can't say that it's shallow if you haven't been presented with any more information. If you DID know Mica and only liked him for the way that he looked, that would be shallow. :)

THAT is SO true!!!!! That is when you would be considered 'shallow' if you KNEW him on a personal level...and ONLY wanted to around him cause he is famous and liked him for his looks and not his mind. aaahhh Mica! :wub2:

I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said Mika's looks aren't important.

Humans innately use physical beauty from the moment they are assessing a person for the same time. Studies show that even babies look longer at more attractive faces...

Anyways, my point - if we could somehow take someone who is EQUALLY talented, and well-spoken, and endearing, but removed his/her physical attributes, we might not be as interested. And, I surely haven't gone out of my way to look for them.:bleh:

There are many talented artists out there who may have a similar combination of all the traits we love about MIKA...but without the physical beauty. :wink2:

imagine he was a nobody and I'd see himwalking down the street. Yes I would look at him, and my head would turn.

You said it was still for looks, that's true. And you think that's shallow. But you don't know the personality of some random hot guy walking down the street right?

hi:)

sorry if threads like these have been posted but i couldn't find any like it.

i was thinking, what do we like about mika? we all say he's hot and cute and everyone wants to be his girl etc, but lets take it back a few years when he was a nobody so to speak (sorry if you're reading)

ok, so now we established his non existant fame and talent, imagine you're walking down a street and you see him. he's just another person you see down a street. nothing amazing about that right? you'd carry on the rest of your day forgetting the fact that you even saw him.

how about when you and he talk. there's no boom going on between you, just a stranger you politely say hello to because that's what you do (i do i'm not sure if you're the same?) he starts talking about his collections and you think, yeah you're a complete freak.

lets now bring it back to last year. he's just begining to get a name for himself and his band, but you're still unimpressed about it as it's still only early in his career (and in most band history's their early stuff isn't so good as the later).

now back to today in this year. he's a huge success, quite famous, songs touching nerves, he's not high on drugs all the time, doesn't aim very high in charts (not that he doesn't aim high coz i'm sure he has hopes:)) and doesn't make a thing out of something like offensive comments like he's gay, he's cr*p i hate him. he does what we should do and ignore those comments and concentrate more on the good stuff.

he's 'fresh faced' and bubbly, a little odd (like the rest of us) and has a way with words. now we all see him, we fancy him, want to be his bit on the side etc but we don't know anything about him. sure he tells us stuff but come on, lets face the truth here folks, we know nothing of his personal likes and dislikes. we know odd bits but not the whole picture. you see someone and if they make it in your, "he's hot" cateogray, you keep thinking he likes you back.

freddie made a thread on what do you look for right? personality/ looks, most picked personality. yet we all seem to have a crush on him, not even knowing what he's like in person.

just think about it. if it wasn't for the fame, he'd just be another nobody (really sorry!) that we wouldn't even half glance at.

with love hunny

xx

Well, I have to say it would have been wonderful for me to know him when he was "nobody", just to make sure the guy i see now in interviews and on the stage is a "real" person.

But it would have been impossible for me...I didn't know not even Myspace at that time...

Thanks to him, however, now I know people that for the world are "nobody" but for me are wonderful, and I hope for them the same success that now Mika has: I support them with all my love and enthusiasm.

For me, anyway, the thing I love about Mika, above all, is his voice. So, if I met him on the street, and I hadn't the chance to listen him singing, I'm sure he would have been just "nobody" for me, despite of his undoubted good-looking :)

Can't resist to comment this one. It is kind of difficult like with all those if-stories. In fact we'll never know...

i was thinking, what do we like about mika? we all say he's hot and cute and everyone wants to be his girl etc, but lets take it back a few years when he was a nobody so to speak (sorry if you're reading)

I agree, I really find him cute and 'hot' (although I did this way before the topless dustbin era :wink2:, and not more now than I did before) yet I don't really wish to be his girl - lol. But there is more than that and I still haven't figured out entirely what it is actually. Fact is, he never fails to amaze me. His public persona, that is for I don't know anything else about him.

Maybe this is why I really do wish I would have known him before he got famous. Very much so.

ok, so now we established his non existant fame and talent, imagine you're walking down a street and you see him. he's just another person you see down a street. nothing amazing about that right? you'd carry on the rest of your day forgetting the fact that you even saw him.

Hmm, I have to say that I'm pretty sure he would have caught my eye. I find his looks quite appealing. And I don't think that seeing him on the street would make a big difference (compared to seeing him on a stage or TV screen)

how about when you and he talk. there's no boom going on between you, just a stranger you politely say hello to because that's what you do (i do i'm not sure if you're the same?) he starts talking about his collections and you think, yeah you're a complete freak.

Oh I'm sure I would blush quite violently if he started to talk to me - being a untalented nerdy stranger or not, because I'm simply totally in love with his speaking voice. Call me a fool but that's the way it is - lol

(Hey M, have you already decided on the audio book?! :wink2: )

And yes, probably I would think the freak thought. Especially if he started talking about Beck, haha. I think I'll never get that (but then again I only know one of Beck's songs). But I have to say the term 'freak' is not quite so negative to me. To me it means just 'not like everybody else' and as I have met quite a few freaks before I think I could deal with that :roftl:

lets now bring it back to last year. he's just begining to get a name for himself and his band, but you're still unimpressed about it as it's still only early in his career (and in most band history's their early stuff isn't so good as the later).

Implied that his voice and style had been the same this would surely not have left me unimpressed. I'm already :doh: for having discovered him only in March this year. I would have loved to observe the development from an earlier point on.

now back to today in this year. he's a huge success, quite famous, songs touching nerves, he's not high on drugs all the time, doesn't aim very high in charts (not that he doesn't aim high coz i'm sure he has hopes:)) and doesn't make a thing out of something like offensive comments like he's gay, he's cr*p i hate him. he does what we should do and ignore those comments and concentrate more on the good stuff.

Fame doesn't work for me. Not at all. Sure if he wasn't famous I probably would not even know about his existance (keep in mind: I live in a hole) but I can say for sure that if I had known him before all this has started and implied that I had been liking him for whatever even then, fame would not have added anything. I even dare say that with his growing fame I might fall a little less for him in the future. But I don't know that for sure.

A quick thought passing my mind right in this second: We talk about ourselves being probably shallow. What about him? What if growing fame and boosting popularity will make him turn shallow? Just a note to think about.

he's 'fresh faced' and bubbly, a little odd (like the rest of us) and has a way with words. now we all see him, we fancy him, want to be his bit on the side etc but we don't know anything about him. sure he tells us stuff but come on, lets face the truth here folks, we know nothing of his personal likes and dislikes. we know odd bits but not the whole picture. you see someone and if they make it in your, "he's hot" cateogray, you keep thinking he likes you back.

freddie made a thread on what do you look for right? personality/ looks, most picked personality. yet we all seem to have a crush on him, not even knowing what he's like in person.

I don't think there is anything wrong about fancying the parts of him he is willing to show us (not talking about bodyparts here :mf_rosetinted: ). Do we really HAVE to know all of his personality? What if he's just normal, with flaws? I bet he is and to be honest, I wouldn't mind finding out about that. But what if you really get the best of him approaching him as a fan, not more and not less? I don't think this has to do with being shallow. I'd say it is the normal approach in this fan-star thing.

Ummmm ... yes & no ..... CHARISMA is an energy .... some ppl are so called 'good looking' ... but no special energy exudes from them .... it's like you can FEEL someone from far away .... the other end of the street or smth .... :wink2:

I have had this experience from ppl who are in no way stereotypically 'good looking' ...... it's just .... them !!!! :blush-anim-cl:

I totally agree. Mika has this charisma and I'm quite sure that I wouldn't look at him as 'nobody' if I saw him on street. Moreover, he has both charisma and great looks, therefore I think I would be interested in him anyway. Of course, we don't know much about his personal life, but I think most of the people know the feeling when you see some stranger on a street and look back because there is 'something' about him/her, and Mika is definitely a person with this 'something'.

I always wonder to myself whether I would have been fond of Mika if he weren't famous. I think I would've found him attractive, maybe, but nothing more. Thats how it was when he was still trying to get a record deal and I saw his pictures on his Myspace profile. I didn't think much of his looks, but I thought his music was great. It wasn't until I watched his interviews that I realized how charming and funny he was which made him that much more appealing. Does that make sense?

This is a very interesting thread to say the least. Would I find him attractive if I just saw him walking down the street? Most definitely cause I like men with dark hair and eyes and that have an ethnic look. In fact, I was at the walk-up window outside of my pharmacy and I saw a guy inside who had real long curly dark hair and dark eyes who had that look I like so much. He was absolutely gorgeous and had that Mika type look. Everyone has a type of person that they are attracted to and that is what brings them to want to talk to and get to know that person better. Would I talk to him or find him weird? Yes and probably, but no weirder than anyone else I know. In fact people find my hobbies very strange, very very strange. And they would find my friends a little odd also. To make my point I will tell you a little about myself. I was raised in very religious house. I was very introverted as a child and a teenager and I had a hard time talking to people. I soon grew out of that when I had to go out and get my first job. Now I pretty much talk to everyone. I was a straight A student who was never in trouble. My friends now grew up very different than I did. One has been on her own since she was 14 years old and my three best friends were into drugs and motorcycle gangs and things of this nature. They each have a lot tattoos and cuss like sailors and I look nothing like them. But you have never seen three of the kindest and most loyal friends ever. They would do anything for me and I for them. So, would I find Mika's looks quirky, probably, but that would just attract me too him more.

Now about his hobby of collecting toys. All I can say about that is it is a mild hobby. I wanted to be a coroner since I was 5 years old and when I got older that changed to working with the FBI in tracking and catching serial killers. I read anything and everything I can about them. So who am I to throw stones at anyones hobby.

So am I madly in love with Mika, no, cause I don't know him. Do I like his looks, most definitely. Do I love his music, absolutely. I knew his music first and then what he looked like, which was an added bonus. I find him an incredible song writer and I wish I had a smidgen of his artistic ability. I am a total left brain person with no artistic ability of my own.

Sorry this is such a long post but I had to comment.

well, i found out about mika in early february, and because i live in the states, nobody had heard of him. but now he's a bit more well known.

if i were to see him 2 or 3 years ago walking down the street in bright green pants, i would have to stop. bright colors get me distrcted. if he had shown me his toy collections, i dunno what i would've done. if he was the adorable, charming person that he is now, i would sooooo wanna be his friend!

thanks for the comments back:)

i don't think what i said came out right though.

it's deffo what i think and want answered but it's hard to say proper out right?

ok, i agree, if someone walking down the street that i thought was nice, yes i would watch them walking down it. but that' would be as far as it goes, is it the same as you guys?

i don't mean to be rude to him and if you're reading sweetie, i'm not meaning to offend. it's just i feel that before your fame, you were just 'that man walking down the street' that everyone stares at (not in a bad way!).

(honestly it's really hard to say what i'm thinking inside. you can't know someone's personality by looking at them i know, and if we look at someone and think their hot, it's not shallow...)

but to you, be honest, would the fame of him be the main thing, because he is soo there in your face (again not a bad thing) he's different, goes against all what we see etc, is it that that we find attractive?

now he is famous, and so kinda welcoming like, is that what we use to feel that we know him??:blink:

that man/woman walking down the street, you wouldn't go and approach them in person and just come out saying 'i love you, you're really hot', i dunno maybe you would maybe you wouldn't.

i guess i'll never know what to say.:boxed:

thanks for the comments back:)

i don't think what i said came out right though.

it's deffo what i think and want answered but it's hard to say proper out right?

ok, i agree, if someone walking down the street that i thought was nice, yes i would watch them walking down it. but that' would be as far as it goes, is it the same as you guys?

i don't mean to be rude to him and if you're reading sweetie, i'm not meaning to offend. it's just i feel that before your fame, you were just 'that man walking down the street' that everyone stares at (not in a bad way!).

(honestly it's really hard to say what i'm thinking inside. you can't know someone's personality by looking at them i know, and if we look at someone and think their hot, it's not shallow...)

but to you, be honest, would the fame of him be the main thing, because he is soo there in your face (again not a bad thing) he's different, goes against all what we see etc, is it that that we find attractive?

now he is famous, and so kinda welcoming like, is that what we use to feel that we know him??:blink:

that man/woman walking down the street, you wouldn't go and approach them in person and just come out saying 'i love you, you're really hot', i dunno maybe you would maybe you wouldn't.

i guess i'll never know what to say.:boxed:

hm. maybe it's because one person gets famous by doing something and you like what he does too?.. so not only you like the person (looks or whatever), you also like the things he does.. :blink:

:insane:

I'll try not to discuss anything anymore.. I'm so bad at English :lmfao: can't even finish my thought lmfao xD

hm. maybe it's because one person gets famous by doing something and you like what he does too?.. so not only you like the person (looks or whatever), you also like the things he does.. :blink:

:insane:

I'll try not to discuss anything anymore.. I'm so bad at English :lmfao: can't even finish my thought lmfao xD

:)

i don't know! that's why i don't understand the whole 'yeah i love mika' bit?

i don't know why:( i can't understand it:(

don't get me wrong, he's nice and all but i feel if i meet him, the whole hype would fizz out coz of a clash in personalities. but i don't know and won't know until we meet:(

:)

don't get me wrong, he's nice and all but i feel if i meet him, the whole hype would fizz out coz of a clash in personalities. but i don't know and won't know until we meet:(

I understand exactly what you mean by this hunnyangel, and it's the reason why i'm really not bothered if I never meet Mika.

I mean, if the chance was there presenting itself on a plate so to speak of course I would like to say hello to him and everything..but I'm pretty sure too that it wouldn't live up to the hype and after all, just saying hello how are you , great show and having your pic taken with him is not exactly knowing him is it.

So yeah, I know where you are coming from!:biggrin2:

hi:)

sorry if threads like these have been posted but i couldn't find any like it.

just think about it. if it wasn't for the fame, he'd just be another nobody (really sorry!) that we wouldn't even half glance at.

with love hunny

xx

i agree.exactly why i dont have a crush on him.he is hot but im not rlly into him as far as that.if i knew him more i think i might have a crush on him but for now, who knows?realistically he could be a whole nother person than in the interviews....

I have to add that Mika reminded me, 1. of little brother, and 2. many of the people in highschool that i wanted to be friends with. I think the only difference is that Mika in my mind struck me as extremely attractive, and non of the people i wanted to be friends with ever were, that remains to be one of my apprehensions toward him.

agreed he seems like a little kid!Lol!im 12 and i dont have as many toys as him(not those kind!u knitters know what i mean) and he seems a bit hard to be serious w/....god he would get along great w/ my dad!Lol!

i agree.exactly why i dont have a crush on him.he is hot but im not rlly into him as far as that.if i knew him more i think i might have a crush on him but for now, who knows?realistically he could be a whole nother person than in the interviews....

yeah:) that's what i think too:)

Gatagordinha :) thank you for that hype understanding thing:roftl:

I wouldnt think he's a freak if he said he collect toys.. I collect rubber ducks :biggrin2:

But still, we dont really knów him like his friends do. But I still think he would be really nice in reality.. But it can always turn out different. :P

Ummmm ... yes & no ..... CHARISMA is an energy .... some ppl are so called 'good looking' ... but no special energy exudes from them .... it's like you can FEEL someone from far away .... the other end of the street or smth .... :wink2:

I have had this experience from ppl who are in no way stereotypically 'good looking' ...... it's just .... them !!!! :blush-anim-cl:

:thumb_yello: I agree and I know what you mean!

Firstly, great thread, cause I had the same thought.

Initially it was his music, cause when I first saw him, he was too tall for my liking, but then when I read articles and listened/watched his interviews, I couldn't help it....I adore his personality, well the side he shows us atleast, cause everyone has a good and bad side rite.

It was after a couple interviews when I started thinking hmm he is quite cute, so that's a plus.

I don't want to be his girl, as I saw in a previous post, but I won't mind having him as a friend, he seems to be a great one...he's so funny!

So being gorgeous is a plus, but it's more than that.

Sometimes my friends ask me what I see in a guy that I like, cause I tend to like guys who girls don't typically go for...and I dunno why sometimes you know...I guess as happikali says it's about charisma and personality for me.

I like unique people and we seem to have tons in common, which makes me like him as a person even more.

:thumb_yello: I agree and I know what you mean!

Firstly, great thread, cause I had the same thought.

Initially it was his music, cause when I first saw him, he was too tall for my liking, but then when I read articles and listened/watched his interviews, I couldn't help it....I adore his personality, well the side he shows us atleast, cause everyone has a good and bad side rite.

It was after a couple interviews when I started thinking hmm he is quite cute, so that's a plus.

I don't want to be his girl, as I saw in a previous post, but I won't mind having him as a friend, he seems to be a great one...he's so funny!

So being gorgeous is a plus, but it's more than that.

Sometimes my friends ask me what I see in a guy that I like, cause I tend to like guys who girls don't typically go for...and I dunno why sometimes you know...I guess as happikali says it's about charisma and personality for me.

I like unique people and we seem to have tons in common, which makes me like him as a person even more.

haha!me too! i always go for the nerdy guys noone likes because i know they willl turn out to be just as hot inside as the otha guys!Lol!