Sad news: Young Mika fan passes away.

DaMango

I was saddened and moved when I read this. Next time you listen to Grace Kelly, sing along for little Jack.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.1704498.0.schoolboy_choked_to_death_on_sweet.php

Schoolboy choked to death on sweet

By Jess Bauldry

full1.683796jack_newland_for_news.jpg

A six-year-old boy choked to death on a sweet just moments into his first day of the school holidays.

Jack Newland, who suffered from cerebral palsy and epilepsy, began choking on the sweet at his home in Pound Hill, Crawley.

His carer and paramedics fought to clear his airway and rushed him to hospital.

But an inquest at Horsham heard the six-year-old died two days later.

Jack, a pupil at Manor Green primary school in Crawley, was enjoying the first day of his summer holiday when he swallowed a sweet which became lodged in his windpipe.

He began struggling for breath and his carer dialled 999 when the six-year-old continued to choke.

Mum Suzette Newland, a special support assistant at her son's school in Lady Margaret Road, Ifield, was at work when she was given the news and raced home.

She said: "When I got the call I half expected him to be fighting off the oxygen mask. He wasn't.

"A paramedic was doing compressions on his chest. I didn't leave his side after that. I was with him right up to the end."

Jack was taken to East Surrey Hospital, in Redhill, but was transferred to St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, because they did not have the facilities they needed.

He died at the London hospital from lack of oxygen to the brain two days later on July 21.

Miss Newland, of Mount Close, described her loss. She said: "He was my world. I'm completely lost without him.

"I miss and dearly love him. He will always be forever in my heart."

Recording a verdict of accidental death, West Sussex deputy coroner Dr David Skipp said: "I think because of his underlying condition accidents occur. It happened very quickly and couldn't have been avoided.

"I don't think anyone could have avoided it and I don't think anyone is to blame. There's no evidence whatsoever he wasn't looked after carefully."

Jack needed round the clock care after a blunder by medical staff at birth left him disabled.

Miss Newland had suffered diabetes during her pregnancy and doctors at Crawley Hospital did not pick up on the risks her illness posed.

Jack's birth on December 13, 2000, was then delayed when his shoulder became stuck in the birth canal as doctors fought to deliver him.

In court Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, which ran the hospital, admitted that Jack should have been delivered at least one and a half hours earlier.

The NHS Trust accepted liability and reached a settlement with the family to cover Jack's care for the rest of his life.

Despite his learning difficulties Jack lived a full life, going to school and pursuing his love of cars and music.

Miss Newland said: "He was a popular boy at school. Everybody remembered his lovely smile. He was always happy and he never complained when he wasn't well.

"He loved cars, especially Minis, and he would sit and play with any cars for hours.

"When he was in my car he would put my hazards and wipers on. He found it hilarious. We had an old Citroen 2CV in the garden which he played with. He loved opening and shutting the doors."

Jack had limited speech but he could say certain words. He learned his favourite word, "bogeys", from children's TV presenters Dick and Dom.

Miss Newland said: "He used to embarrass me shouting it out when we were shopping."

Jack was also a fan of pop star Mika and would sing along to his favourite song Grace Kelly. In a tribute to Jack's life, his mother and 11 teaching staff from his school plan to attend a Mika concert at The Brighton Centre in November.

They have had T-shirts printed specially for the event featuring Jack's picture and the message, "Remember him with a smile".

The family also plans to donate a bench and children's play equipment to the school in Jack's memory.

Family friend Emma Hayter, 25, from Pound Hill raised more than £1,000 running five kilometres in the Hydro Active women's challenge in Hyde Park to fund the memorial.

If anyone sees this boy's family at the concert, please give them a hug for me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats so depressing....... :tears:

What a terrible way to die, and so young..........

How about the Mikafanclub do something regarding this. Raise some funds?

Let MIKA know of this some how? it would be a really nice gesture

Suzanne

That is so sad. He died on July 21, so I assume that they got in touch with Mika's people to let him know, and organised to all get tickets for that concert??

Someone should make a MFC banner with the same phrase on it and get the MFCers at the Brighton concert to sign it and give it to them.

"Remember him with a smile"

As a mother, that story really makes my heart ache.

That is so sad. He died on July 21, so I assume that they got in touch with Mika's people to let him know, and organised to all get tickets for that concert??

Someone should make a MFC banner with the same phrase on it and get the MFCers at the Brighton concert to sign it and give it to them.

That's a great idea! That would be a nice way of letting them know that other Mika fans are thinking of them.

yeah, i think they would really appreciate that. I'm not gona be at the concert though, but i'd like to help in any away.

oh my this is such a sad story it brought tears to my eyes :crybaby:

i wont be at the brighton concert although now i wish i was so i could go over to them and let them know we are all thinking of them

I'm not going to be at the brighton concert

but i think the MFCers who are should do that banner thing

and i hope Mika meets with that family, and gives them hugs

:tears:

I agree.... I think those who are going should do something, and maybe some of the rest of us could write a letter or something...

Just to let them know that we feel for them

what about if we all wrote a short letter or something for them and put it together in a small folder ? but your right there isnt much time - and you would need to find a volenteer going to the Brighton concert to find them and hand it over to them aswell

Yes, this is a good idea. Do you have any idea whose going to the Brighten show?

we have a small handful going to the brighton concert babspanky, kata, jemmalee, sara, blue eyes, carrie

i think if people could write a short letter and email it to one organiser we could put together a small id say half a4 booklet from the mfc

then post it over to someone who could try and get it to these people