Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

Ah yes thats a misunderstanding..

We dont have kangaroos roaming around everywhere (theres some up where I live, nearly hit one once, Canberra has lots etc) but mostly its certain places. Rural places mostly.

The suburbs and the metro area doesnt have any apart from the zoo (and we dont ride them to school or have them deliver our mail, though we spread the rumours :wink2:)

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont have kangaroos roaming around everywhere (theres some up where I live, nearly hit one once, Canberra has lots etc) but mostly its certain places. Rural places mostly.

The suburbs and the metro area doesnt have any apart from the zoo (and we dont ride them to school or have them deliver our mail, though we spread the rumours :wink2:)

:roftl: :roftl: I've never seen a kangaroo in my life. I'd love to. They're SO cute, I think.

Another one I just learnt. 3/4s..as in jeans that sit about halway up the calves. Everyone I know calls them 3/4....I only rarely hear them called capris like the americans call them

And another thing thongs in australia = flip flops. Not g-strings (which can lead to interesting conversations if you don't clarify that you're talking about shoes)

Another one I just learnt. 3/4s..as in jeans that sit about halway up the calves. Everyone I know calls them 3/4....I only rarely hear them called capris like the americans call them

And another thing thongs in australia = flip flops. Not g-strings (which can lead to interesting conversations if you don't clarify that you're talking about shoes)

:roftl: I've heard them called 'thongs.'

"I like your thongs."

*slap*

Kangaroos are so passé. I am completely fascinated with wombats. Love, love wombats!! :wub2:

Western Canada-isms:

• McDonald's is Mickey D's, or Mick Dick's.

• Tim Horton's, our national coffee shop obsession is Timmy's, or Timmy Ho's.

• Pants are pants, underwear is underwear (or panties or boxers or ginch or gonch or bloomers). "Trousers" bring to mind overalls a farmer would wear.

• Carbonated beverages are pop - "soda" is a dead giveaway you're from the States.

• Sandals with a rubber sole and a loop though the toe are flip flops, unless you're over 45 in which case you might call them thongs. Anyone under 45 will think you're talking about their underwear, though.

• Poutine is french fries covered in cheese curds and gravy. Pronounced "Poo-teen" in Western Canada, but my understanding is you'll get smacked if you say that in Quebec - it's poo-tin, there.

• The macaroni-in-a-box that's marketed in the States as "Kraft Macaroni & Cheese" is just called "Kraft Dinner", or more commonly just "KD".

• Chesterfield means sofa, but most people don't say "sofa" - "couch" is preferred.

I'm sure there are lots more, let me sleep on it...

Not only do things differ from country to country, but also from state to state, city to city, and household to household. My grandma lives about 3 hours away, and she calls it 'Pop'. I call it soda. When people would come into the grocery store and ask where the pop was, I'd be like "Are you from around Punxy?" and they'd be all shocked like "HOWD'JU KNOW?!"

Plus, like I said, things also differ from household to household aswell.

We don't call it soda or pop....

Its soft drink here

The only time I've ever heard it as 'soft drink' is like... in a schoolbook when I was in the third grade. Because it was designed for children all over, they had to use a "universal word" or "universal understanding" or something.

I think that in France they call McDonald's "MacDo." At least that's what my French teacher told me, and she's from France.

Yeah my teacher told me that too. Its funny how that was one of the first things I learned in fench haha

The only time I've ever heard it as 'soft drink' is like... in a schoolbook when I was in the third grade. Because it was designed for children all over, they had to use a "universal word" or "universal understanding" or something.

i only hear it as pop or soda in oversea books or movies....

though we may call it soda occasionally

Cookies and biscuits.:naugh0ty:

Biscuits and Cookies are the same thing, things with chocolate chips, peanut butter chunks, and oatmeal.

Underware is Undies

sneakers, tennis shoes, we call them sandshoes

A fizzy is a soft drink

A grapetize or appletize are sparkling grape or apple juice

we call McDonalds Maccas

we call flip flops jandals

we call Swimsuits togs

afternoon we say Arvo

a sausage is a Banger

barbecue is a Barbie

a man is a Bloke

Chips are deep fried slices of potato but much thicker than a french fry

Chippy is name for a builder or carpenter

Chocka means full

Greasies are fish and chips

Gumboots or gummies are rubber boots, wellingtons

Hard yakka is what we say for hard work

to Hollywood is to fake or exaggerate an injury on the sportsfield

Iceblock is what you call a popsicle, Ice Stick

a Popsicle is an Ice lolly

speed bump we call a Judder bar

AND last but not least, y'all should know this

KIWI - New Zealander

In red is the new Zealand words,

So, do you have kangaroos just roaming around or are they only in certain places? :naughty:

Mostly in particular places... Example: You see heaps and heaps of emus right out western NSW (ie, the outback, which is Bourke etc), but not so many kangaroos... you see more kangaroos where I am (NOT the outback, no matter what people say!)... I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Sydney, the outback is another 6-8 hours west of me...

Damn it Baby, I wanted to keep that going!

They're mostly in very rural areas... I mostly see them on the side of the road as roadkill...

:roftl: :roftl: I've never seen a kangaroo in my life. I'd love to. They're SO cute, I think.

Uh, yeah sure... in some places they're considered vermin... They're almost plague proportions in some places, so they need to cull the population...

I always found it so strange that we're the only country that eats the animals on the coat of arms (I think we're the only ones!)

:wub2:

Oh, and another random question: In Australia, and other countries really, do you guys get primarily American movies in the cinemas?

Yep... mostly, we do also get some Aussie movies and British movies, but because the US film industry is so much larger than the Australian one, that's mostly what we see...

Biscuits and Cookies are the same thing, things with chocolate chips, peanut butter chunks, and oatmeal.

Underware is Undies

A fizzy is a soft drink

we call McDonalds Maccas

we call Swimsuits togs

afternoon we say Arvo

a sausage is a Banger

barbecue is a Barbie

a man is a Bloke

Chocka means full

KIWI - New Zealander

Go the kiwis! Most of those we say, except for jandals and maybe judder bar...

hard yakka! That's one I haven't heard for a while!

Mostly in particular places... Example: You see heaps and heaps of emus right out western NSW (ie, the outback, which is Bourke etc), but not so many kangaroos... you see more kangaroos where I am (NOT the outback, no matter what people say!)... I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Sydney, the outback is another 6-8 hours west of me...

How about wombats? Do you see wombats roaming around?

I love their little hard rumps and their little furry faces. :wub2:

I have very few misunderstandings cos I hardly talk like other South Africans.:biggrin2:

Swak means unfair or unkind (pronounced swuk)

Shot means thank you.

I think that's it...

Oh wait, yes, our Woolworths is like Marks and Spencers...

And our Spar is like the Woolworths in the UK...

Underware is Undies

A fizzy is a soft drink

we call McDonalds Maccas

we call Swimsuits togs

afternoon we say Arvo

a sausage is a Banger

barbecue is a Barbie

a man is a Bloke

Chocka means full

KIWI - New Zealander

I wish we had slang like that!! I like "Fair dinkum" :naughty: but is that only used in Australia?

lol, i dont think it is used too commonly in australia, lol well at least i dont say it!

Thong as in the underwear, and Thong as in the shoe or 'flip-flop' is about all i can think of at the moment, lol i have heard of some pretty funny mix-ups