Hey Aurelien,

The idea of a name change was actually brought up by a native English speaker so I'm a bit confused by the whole insult thing.

After the majority voted pro name change I went ahead and changed the thread title.

You'd not been on the MFC for a very long time and we just assumed you'd left, maybe that was wrong.

Anyway, if you really are this offended by the whole thread title thing I will change it back since your name is associated with it.

xxx

That would be great.

Thanks a lot Diana.

That would be great.

Thanks a lot Diana.

good to see you...Aurelien..I totally respect your choice for this thread...I'd be quite upset if you left or something...I love your fun loving attitude! really!

:wub2:

I'm fine,thanks! *grabs for a cookies*

and you?

good! glad that the dust has settled here...these things can be tricky...

..my social group is getting notice...my gig is coming up soon..getting ready for that...have about 20 pieces composed and memorized on voice and piano.choir has started too!

and what you been up to?

good! glad that the dust has settled here...these things can be tricky...

..my social group is getting notice...my gig is coming up soon..getting ready for that...have about 20 pieces composed and memorized on voice and piano.choir has started too!

and what you been up to?

i'm happy about you! well.. i'm a bit stressed about my next exam.. it will be on monday.. :thumbdown:

I was on the phone with someone from the forum last night who told me about the renaming of this thread.

I am really shocked and surprised at what you people have done.

The word "QUEER" is an INSULT, it is a derogative term used to qualify GAY people. The term gay qualifies men and women alike so I don't see the problem.

I will NOT have my name associated with an insult towards GAY people. If you don't like the name, create your own thread.

Moreover, nobody asked me about renaming this thread. This is just preposterous. It has to go back to its original name, there is no discussion about it, I do not want my name next to an insult people suffer from every day.

This is just ridiculous.

Hi Aurelien! Looks like the thread you started changed back to it's original name. :thumb_yello: But just in case you wondered, the democratic discussion started here (but somehow the discussion failed to include you and you are correct that it would have made sense to make an extra effort to get your okay):

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10485&page=91

Hi Aurelien! Looks like the thread you started changed back to it's original name. :thumb_yello: But just in case you wondered, the democratic discussion started here (but somehow the discussion failed to include you and you are correct that it would have made sense to make an extra effort to get your okay):

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10485&page=91

HI Suzy..it is good to get it back to its original name... I totally respect anyone's wishes for it going back to its real name...

The word "QUEER" is an INSULT

I normally don't write in this thread.. because I'm straight and so I think I shouldn't post here but I read the thread from time to time. Well I never heard this before Aurelien but I'm glad you told us !

I guess for people who don't have english as native language "queer" is not known as an insult.

I have some gay friends and I guess they don't know either because they sometimes say it about themselves. They were alwyas talking about "Queer as folk" (they even made me addicted to it, like every series you always want to know how it goes on when you once started) but anyway now I really wonder why the series are called that way when queer is an insult ? :blink::shocked:

Alright, so we are gay and happy again :naughty:

I don`t have a problem with this title though I like the "queer" more. Anyway I believe this thread is still open not only for gay men but also lesbian women, bisexuals, transsexuals, asexuals, questioning, and friends and sympatisants.

For reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer

Of course it is

I don't care about the fundemental definition of Queer Rebeka, all I know is that in England it is an insult people use against gay people. That's all

Of course it is

I don't care about the fundemental definition of Queer Rebeka, all I know is that in England it is an insult people use against gay people. That's all

Okay okay Aurelien. Peace & Love etc.. :wink2:

*Rebeka waving a white flag*

Hi, all. I've been away for a while because of exams so I missed the discussion on the name change. I agree with Rebeka's explanation of the term "queer" as a new positive generic term for non-heterosexuals, and I had only good intentions when I suggested that the thread title to be changed to something more inclusive and representative. But I respect Aurelien's opinion and if he doesn't wish to be associated with something that he finds insulting then he has the right to decide. I'm sorry that his opinion wasn't consulted earlier but that happened because he was absent for a long time and the majority agreed to the change. Would "The LGBTQ Thread" be a good inclusive alternative? If not we can stick to the current title - I'm not too fussed because in the end it's not the title that's most important but the people here and the important discussions taking place. :original:

Exactly, its just a title.:thumb_yello:

been going through stuff again...life is like a yo yo and one day the string is going to go flying and hitting someone in the eye!...sorry weird mood

not sure what to think!:)

Why all the fuss then? :boat:

Would "The LGBTQ Thread" be a good inclusive alternative?

It would be inclusive yes but it would IMO also scare people off. I don`t think that many people are familiar with this acronym.. It sounds complicated..

I was thinking the other day that we could really open a new thread called as we want, for example Queer, and leave the 2-3 gay boys here why all the rest of us would move to the new one.. Not sure how successful this move would be and if, in the end, I wouldn`t be talking to myself there.. What do you people say?

Why all the fuss then? :boat:

It would be inclusive yes but it would IMO also scare people off. I don`t think that many people are familiar with this acronym.. It sounds complicated..

I was thinking the other day that we could really open a new thread called as we want, for example Queer, and leave the 2-3 gay boys here why all the rest of us would move to the new one.. Not sure how successful this move would be and if, in the end, I wouldn`t be talking to myself there.. What do you people say?

Why not give it a try?:cool:

I for one, could read and post in two threads.:wink2:

But, on a more serious note, why?

I guess its best to stay how it is now...I understand....it is a quite inclusive term really and I suppose its cultural depending where you are too. and healthy debates are good too also I would not want to start a group unless its a group that is positive and additive not negative..

The idea was to open a thread that would include all of us here, not just the few gays that are here. I know that the word "gay" might include also lesbians but it might also not include it. It seems like we are all guests in someone else`s thread..

May I give a personal experience of how the word "gay" might not include lesbians? When I travel I usualy stay at one of the places from ebab.com, the net of gay & lesbian rooms to let (worldwide). I`ve been with them 3 times (1x in Budapest, 2x in London) and now I wanted to rent a room for Amsterdam in July so I choosed a room and made an order. Only then I found out - I was told - that this room is only for gays which I understood like "not for straight people" but it was actualy meant like "no lesbians". So the word "gay" is a generic word but still it mainly means men, and lesbians are there kind of a minority inside a minority.