Mika quote

amsterdam

Just wanted to share this with you guys:

"Is Stuck In The Middle about his sexuality? "A bit of everything, yeah." So many of your songs are about looking for identity, I say. "Well, isn't that something every kid from 16 to 23 goes through? That's called being a twentysomething. When you leave university or school, you're like, what the hell am I doing now? Money? Life? Responsibility? Relationships? Everything. Where do my sisters fit into my life now? Where does my mum fit in?" The more he talks, the younger he sounds. "I used to know where I fit in because I was at home. But now? Am I the boss? I think I'm the boss, but then I can't get anything to go my way. It's a typical 20-year-old's dilemma."

He is SO right. I just started my twenty-something fase, and I totally relate to what he says here.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is Stuck In The Middle about his sexuality? "A bit of everything, yeah." So many of your songs are about looking for identity, I say. "Well, isn't that something every kid from 16 to 23 goes through? That's called being a twentysomething. When you leave university or school, you're like, what the hell am I doing now? Money? Life? Responsibility? Relationships? Everything. Where do my sisters fit into my life now? Where does my mum fit in?" The more he talks, the younger he sounds. "I used to know where I fit in because I was at home. But now? Am I the boss? I think I'm the boss, but then I can't get anything to go my way. It's a typical 20-year-old's dilemma."

He is SO right. I just started my twenty-something fase, and I totally relate to what he says here.

Yeah, I totally understand as well. Technically, I'm old enough to be having my own, independent life, but then it's also as confusing as hell to figure out where everything else fits. It's like a puzzle. When you were younger, all of the puzzle pieces were arranged to create this perfect little picture, but once you hit your upper teens, life has smashed them and sent them scattered everywhere. Now, you have all of the pieces, but you've lost the ability to put them back together the way that they were, and in addition you've got a couple more that don't seem to fit anywhere, but they are a part of your life all the same. It's hard. It's madness.

interesting. wondering what sexual orientation you are is just so typical. even i was wondering if i was a lesbian or not in my teens. i knew girls were pretty, but i didnt know at the time if that meant i fancies them or not :roftl:

but then i realised i was straight :biggrin2:

i know what he means about uni too. or college, whatever. i left college after completing my 2 years and i thought "so where do i go now?"

i didnt want to do anything i studied and i was stuck (in the middle haha)

so no im back at a different college studying childcare.

everything changes iver night when ur 18. at least it did for me. i just suddenly felt like an adult and i hate it.

can ya by any chance quote which interview is this from?

ohhhh.. i am very surprised. :mf_rosetinted:

For the first time in my life I'm actually thinking about my future seriously. It sounds weird but Mika's concert caused that. I was like woooow that is so cool, I want that too. Too bad I'm not musical at all!! I mean I'm VERY good at enjoying music but I can't sing or write.

I study science now and I definetely don't want to be a scientist because it's too boring and I don't have the patience. So what than?? After this year when I finish my bachelor I'll probably model for a bit, travel the world, but I have still NO idea what I'll become eventually.....

For the first time in my life I'm actually thinking about my future seriously. It sounds weird but Mika's concert caused that. I was like woooow that is so cool, I want that too. Too bad I'm not musical at all!! I mean I'm VERY good at enjoying music but I can't sing or write.

I study science now and I definetely don't want to be a scientist because it's too boring and I don't have the patience. So what than?? After this year when I finish my bachelor I'll probably model for a bit, travel the world, but I have still NO idea what I'll become eventually.....

I'm kind of in the position where what I want is not "the norm." I want to be a writer. I write like a fiend, constantly, about anything and everything, but when someone asks me what I want to be, and I say "I want to be a writer," they usually say, "No, I mean, what do you want to be?" My mother seems to think that writing is only a side job. I can understand her; I mean, there is no guarantee that I would sell anything if I wrote novels, but I believe that I can accomplish anything if I try. I'm studying Psychology, and I'm very interested in the human mind and the development of humans, but that's as far as my interest goes. I was pumped about being a Clinical Psychologist earlier in the year, but now, after meeting with Psychologists and interviewing them about their careers, I just think: "I can't do this." I'm one of those people who, if it weren't for the fact that I'm terrified of not going anywhere with my life, I would not be at university. College is not for me, and I will admit that, but I'm still going through it just so that I will have something to fall back on if my plans don't work out.

thx for digging that link. ooooold interview. actually had read it in past, but completely overlooked that line and believe me, I mean OVERLOOK cause as everybody nearly here knows, I am a sitm obsessed. :mf_rosetinted:

I LOVE the old times when he still was relaxed over the way he was talking about himself. I cannot blaime him in a way. press can be SO bitchy and can totally tear your life apart. so it's understandable things changed pretty much.

on the other hand, I miss the old spontaneity.

thx for bringing it back, even for a short time.

thx for digging that link. ooooold interview. actually had read it in past, but completely overlooked that line and believe me, I mean OVERLOOK cause as everybody nearly here knows, I am a sitm obsessed. :mf_rosetinted:

I LOVE the old times when he still was relaxed over the way he was talking about himself. I cannot blaime him in a way. press can be SO bitchy and can totally tear your life apart. so it's understandable things changed pretty much.

on the other hand, I miss the old spontaneity.

thx for bringing it back, even for a short time.

someone's feeling sentimental lol. tissie for your issue, Avoca? :wink2::mf_rosetinted:

I think that's a great plan. Just see what opportunities arise when you're working and travelling. You've got a degree to fall back on so you can take some chances and just enjoy yourself while you are young.

There are plenty of things to do in the music industry that don't involve performing and I would think the modelling experience and contacts would give you an edge and perhaps a foot in the door.

I worked for a couple of record companies between the ages of 17-19 and it was a fantastic experience even at my entry level position. I also worked for a booking agent when I finished school, but after a lot of messing around in Europe and Africa I've somehow ended up at a software company. :blink:

I sorta did things ass-backwards because I worked in the music industry, then got my education, then travelled the world. You're on a straighter path and if you get involved in something you love stick with it! :thumb_yello:

I'm studying Psychology, and I'm very interested in the human mind and the development of humans, but that's as far as my interest goes. I was pumped about being a Clinical Psychologist earlier in the year, but now, after meeting with Psychologists and interviewing them about their careers, I just think: "I can't do this."

Ugh that's exactly what happened to me. I was interested in psychology at a very general level but the minutiae of this rat study or that cognitive experiment was doing my head in by third year. I just don't care about anything at that level of detail except perhaps Mika's underwear or his new song. :naughty:

I was really upset when Dr. Phil came along because if I thought I could have made a career out of telling people to stop being such a dumbass I would have done it.

OMG ...every day i like him more and more !!:biggrin2: :biggrin2:

i dont know where i fit ??!

:blink::boxed:

oh, don't be so down. I didnt mean to be rude in any way, sorry if it sounded so :wink2: but I was very serious.

I've always thought it was about that.

really...?? :shocked: *fakes surprise and hugs diana* :naughty:

high five, sis! :mf_rosetinted::punk:

I was really upset when Dr. Phil came along because if I thought I could have made a career out of telling people to stop being such a dumbass I would have done it.

:lmfao: My Psych professor is a Dr. Phil WHORE! We are made to watch DVDs of his shows all the time, and I don't understand how the hell he is considered a psychologist. He doesn't do anything scientific. All he says is, "What the hell are you thinking? ...I'm going to tell you what I think when we get back. *cue music*"

:lmfao: My Psych professor is a Dr. Phil WHORE! We are made to watch DVDs of his shows all the time, and I don't understand how the hell he is considered a psychologist. He doesn't do anything scientific. All he says is, "What the hell are you thinking? ...I'm going to tell you what I think when we get back. *cue music*"

When I was in university I decided that that's what psychology should be about rather than coddling people and trying to "help" them with their self-inflicted problems. Anyone with real neurological problems needs a psychiatrist, not a psychologist.

Anyway I figured I wasn't empathetic enough to become a psychologist but little did I know that there was so much money in telling people to stop acting stupid and just get their sh*t together on national television.

I agree with the quote. I think there are at this point things I'm struggling with but that's normal. But considering my past I'm very determined in what I want to do. Mika also helped me to finally make that decision. A year ago when I told someone I wanted to go to the drama academy and write songs they'd look at me and say: "Are you sure? There's not much work there...what if you fail?" And they made me doubt. But now I know what I want and I will follow my heart for 200% This is what I love and what I want to do. And when you're good, eventually you will succeed, just hold on!

I'm kind of in the position where what I want is not "the norm." I want to be a writer. I write like a fiend, constantly, about anything and everything, but when someone asks me what I want to be, and I say "I want to be a writer," they usually say, "No, I mean, what do you want to be?" My mother seems to think that writing is only a side job. I can understand her; I mean, there is no guarantee that I would sell anything if I wrote novels, but I believe that I can accomplish anything if I try. I'm studying Psychology, and I'm very interested in the human mind and the development of humans, but that's as far as my interest goes. I was pumped about being a Clinical Psychologist earlier in the year, but now, after meeting with Psychologists and interviewing them about their careers, I just think: "I can't do this." I'm one of those people who, if it weren't for the fact that I'm terrified of not going anywhere with my life, I would not be at university. College is not for me, and I will admit that, but I'm still going through it just so that I will have something to fall back on if my plans don't work out.

I believe that you can too so, Hannah,

Write. Believe in yourself and just do it. It is your life and soon you will realize that it is going to be YOUR life for the rest of your life. No one else's. It is a gift and make of it what you will and what you can. WRITE.

Back-up plans and college education are all wonderful, don't give it up, but go for what you want and believe in FIRST. It might be a lot of hard work and if your willing to do that, then you won't regret pursuing your dreams even if they don't work out exactly how you think they might.

That's my advice for the day....take it or leave it..its all good. And, by the way, I also happen to think you would write things that people would want to read. But it really doesn't matter what I think.....just keep believing in yourself.

Thank you so much for posting this article, I had never read it before, and I thought it was interesting.

SITM is my favourite of all Mikas songs, I’ve been talking about it a lot in this forum.:thumb_yello:

Ah, Dr Phil, just love him!:naughty:

Maybe psychology is as simple as that?

No, not always of course, but it’s refreshing to see it can be so easy to understand sometimes.

Makes me think about when it comes to raise children, common sense:wink2: is a thing never to underestimate!

I totally get the "searching" feeling in one's early twenties, especially into the "where do my siblings fit in" line of thinking. My brother is 35 and my sister 32, and in the last few years the dynamic between myself and each of them has changed quite a lot (I'm 23). Also the "Money? Life? Responsibily? Relationships? Everything" thing. I can completely relate to what he's saying.

Sometime I think I want to get married, buy a house with a white picket fence and have 2.5 kids and a minivan. But the next, I'm thinking of how grand it would be to pack up and move to London and get some completely irrelevant job, like taking tickets at an opera house or something.

Does anyone remember playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on the original Nintendo NES system? When you get to World 8, Mario is on the map, as usual. The difference is that in this map, the whole map is blacked out except for a little spotlight on the part of the map where Mario is. And you/he can only see a little bit of what's ahead, because as Mario moves, the spotlight moves with him, illuminating a bit more of the path.

That sounds like I'm off on a tangent, but it's actually quite relevant. That's how I feel sometimes; like I'm on this map, and I can only see a little bit of what's ahead, and the rest is just vague darkness.

Anyhow. That's a great article. One of the first that I found, actually, when I first discovered Mika and spent an entire weekend Google-whoring about him, but before I started saving everything. Then I couldn't find it again. But I'm glad you did, because it's a great addition to my All Things Mika - Articles folder. :thumb_yello: