Mika's record has been broken

'It’s official!

The numbers are in and Leona Lewis‘ debut record, Spirit, is the #1 album in the U.K. this week.

Spirit broke records on its way to the top!

'The album has become the UK’s fastest-selling debut album of all time. The previous record was set by the Arctic Monkeys, who sold 363,735 copies of Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not in January 2006.

This week Spirit sold a phenomenal 375,872 copies.

Leona was up against the Spice Girls, Led Zeppelin and Celine Dion. Spirit beat the number two album, by the Spice Girls, by a staggering 300,085 copies!!!!

Lewis’ current single, Bleeding Love, is also #1 this week - for a fourth consecutive week. So far it has sold an incredible 563,702 copies in just 4 weeks, beating the previous record set by Mika with Grace Kelly.

Spirit is now scheduled for release in the U.S. on March 18th. Yay!

Congrats Leona!'

perezhilton.com

I didn't even know about this record:naughty:

but i thought you guys might be interested:thumb_yello:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'It’s official!

The numbers are in and Leona Lewis‘ debut record, Spirit, is the #1 album in the U.K. this week.

Spirit broke records on its way to the top!

'The album has become the UK’s fastest-selling debut album of all time. The previous record was set by the Arctic Monkeys, who sold 363,735 copies of Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not in January 2006.

This week Spirit sold a phenomenal 375,872 copies.

Leona was up against the Spice Girls, Led Zeppelin and Celine Dion. Spirit beat the number two album, by the Spice Girls, by a staggering 300,085 copies!!!!

Lewis’ current single, Bleeding Love, is also #1 this week - for a fourth consecutive week. So far it has sold an incredible 563,702 copies in just 4 weeks, beating the previous record set by Mika with Grace Kelly.

Spirit is now scheduled for release in the U.S. on March 18th. Yay!

Congrats Leona!'

perezhilton.com

I didn't even know about this record:naughty:

but i thought you guys might be interesed:thumb_yello:

I'm sorry, but I'm not with Perez on this.

I don't want to sound ungracious or petty because Mika has been beaten, actually if it had been an act like the Arctic Monkeys or someone who had been working there backsides off going round the clubs or had been writing songs for a while and trying to get a record company to sign them for god knows how long, I would be okay, but not someone who doesn't write their own materal and goes on a tv show, with lets face it not the greatest voice in creation, I don't care what Cowell says, and gets god knows how much money thrown at her to have voice training, now being hailed as the worlds greatest female singer, sorry but she cannot touch Whitney Houston on a bad day.

I fear for the music industry if they are going to push wannabes, to the detriment of honest to god true musicians and singers, who slog their guts out, doing it the honest way.

Rant over.

I'm sorry, but I'm not with Perez on this.

I don't want to sound ungracious or petty because Mika has been beaten, actually if it had been an act like the Arctic Monkeys or someone who had been working there backsides off going round the clubs or had been writing songs for a while and trying to get a record company to sign them for god knows how long, I would be okay, but not someone who doesn't write their own materal and goes on a tv show, with lets face it not the greatest voice in creation, I don't care what Cowell says, and gets god knows how much money thrown at her to have voice training, now being hailed as the worlds greatest female singer, sorry but she cannot touch Whitney Houston on a bad day.

I fear for the music industry if they are going to push wannabes, to the detriment of honest to god true musicians and singers, who slog their guts out, doing it the honest way.

Rant over.

I see what you mean. But hey, let's discuss this again in 3 years... where will she be? And where will Mika be??

Exactly!

It's not about beating records, it's about breaking trough and then having a career for the rest of your life.

Posted already

We've been talking about it here :

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7729&page=15

And RAK1 I firmly disagree with what you said... Celine Dion doesn't write her songs but she is still an artist... Singing is an art full stop. And i'm sorry but she does it very well... You don't like her fine, but you simply can not say that she does not have a huge voice. Technically she is a delight to hear!

Anyway, you can't compare Mika & Leona, their background is completly different... Leona's coming from a lower class family in Hackney (the place was elected the worst one in the UK where to live in 2006). Well put yourself into her shoes, you can't afford creating your own music, but you know you have that gift, that voice, what can u do ?!.... then you know about those TV Shows... it is an opportunity... It does not take off her talent, but it exploited at its best...

Mika didn't need it, good for him...

And by the way, she participated at the writing of some songs on her album and recorded her own before but never got a release.

I watched a video of her on YouTube because I've never heard of her. I have to say she can sing, but I generally avoid all X-Factor artists, no matter how good they sound. I watch the auditions yes because they're funny but the rest is just pure commercial sh*t in my opinion. And it's not that I hold a grudge because she has beaten Mika, I just don't like those kinda singers.

And I still think Mika and Mikey should audition...that would be so much fun and I'd like to see Simon's face when they take of their animal heads:naughty:

I say, let's break this record again. make everyone buy Mika's singles :mf_rosetinted:

yeah:thumb_yello: im gonna buy his cd to some of my friends for christmas^^ and all of his singles for me:biggrin2:

ijust asked if they wanted his cd and they where like: yeah, why not=)

If you looked worldwide at how many countries MIKA was in the charts with GK, and then compared those figures with a UK based TV show X factor winner you might see a very different picture.

She can sing, and maybe she broke a sales record, but you know, in years to come someone will break hers too. Mika probably wouldn't give a flying f**k about it, because what he wants is a career, and to keep selling, not just a once off record.

Let's see who is where in a few years.......:wink2:

Posted already

We've been talking about it here :

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7729&page=15

And RAK1 I firmly disagree with what you said... Celine Dion doesn't write her songs but she is still an artist... Singing is an art full stop. And i'm sorry but she does it very well... You don't like her fine, but you simply can not say that she does not have a huge voice. Technically she is a delight to hear!

Anyway, you can't compare Mika & Leona, their background is completly different... Leona's coming from a lower class family in Hackney (the place was elected the worst one in the UK where to live in 2006). Well put yourself into her shoes, you can't afford creating your own music, but you know you have that gift, that voice, what can u do ?!.... then you know about those TV Shows... it is an opportunity... It does not take off her talent, but it exploited at its best...

Mika didn't need it, good for him...

And by the way, she participated at the writing of some songs on her album and recorded her own before but never got a release.

HAHAHA.:naughty:

You branded me someone who does not know anything about music on a previous thread because I said that 'Leona must be either a loveable person or with some very poor background / sad history that make people love her that much' and now you admit that she is from a poor family background...

:shocked:

Your point about her not being able to 'afford creating her own music' does not stand and sounds rather naive.... :mf_rosetinted: I hope you don't believe that creativity is a direct consequence of wealth. Paul Mc Cartney and John Lennon were not born in the Hamptons, for example, or in Hamptstead, whatever....

If you mean your family background and education contributes to how creative you are, that is also something that simplifies reality but is more like a point we can start discussing ...

Anyway, Mika did NOT use his or his family's money to record and promote that album... You basically cannot finance it unless you are Paris Hilton.

He used his student loan to produce his demos.

Sure Leona would have had other ways to break through but I don't look down on her for choosing this way. If someone has a great voice, cannot write their own stuff and is happy to be shaped into form by someone who learned his skills from Pete Waterman, that's the best way to go. I would have done the same if I was that kind. But I am not.

Well good luck to her, but this just goes to show the influence of the new Pop Mafia, The X Factor. Leona released her single, and her album, on the back of the show this year, when she shouldn't really have that extra publicity. Mika has had to do it all himself, becaude his PR people, or whoever plans his promotions arn't doing their job.

So, good luck to Leona, but it is the efforts of Simon Cowell, plugging her shamelessly on The X Factor, that has helped her break Mika's record.

Love today, from Marilyn

I watched a video of her on YouTube because I've never heard of her. I have to say she can sing, but I generally avoid all X-Factor artists, no matter how good they sound. I watch the auditions yes because they're funny but the rest is just pure commercial sh*t in my opinion. And it's not that I hold a grudge because she has beaten Mika, I just don't like those kinda singers.

And I still think Mika and Mikey should audition...that would be so much fun and I'd like to see Simon's face when they take of their animal heads:naughty:

I think they would get through for the bands name alone,ha ha ha ha!

So Leona comes from a poor background, so do about three quarters of the artists that do the pub circuit, but have more dignity than to go on tv to make Cowells ego and bank balance go through the roof. I'm sorry but I wasn't a Pete Waterman fan either. I know that there are different facets to the industry opening up all the time, and I'm sure that if Leona went the same path that others did she wouldn't be the big thing she is now, but she might have a better chance of having a bit more respect in the long run.

I am well aware Mika is in this for the long haul, and isn't bothered by breaking records and getting awards and stuff, but it would have been kind of nice that the end of the first year could have ended on a high, with his stick you song, really sticking it to his detractors, that's all.

I think they would get through for the bands name alone,ha ha ha ha!

So Leona comes from a poor background, so do about three quarters of the artists that do the pub circuit, but have more dignity than to go on tv to make Cowells ego and bank balance go through the roof. I'm sorry but I wasn't a Pete Waterman fan either. I know that there are different facets to the industry opening up all the time, and I'm sure that if Leona went the same path that others did she wouldn't be the big thing she is now, but she might have a better chance of having a bit more respect in the long run.

I am well aware Mika is in this for the long haul, and isn't bothered by breaking records and getting awards and stuff, but it would have been kind of nice that the end of the first year could have ended on a high, with his stick you song, really sticking it to his detractors, that's all.

Exactly:naughty: Sharon will love them:roftl:

And like you mentioned, many artists come from poor backgrounds and they make it big. Mika himself said that when they were living in Paris they didn't have the jackpot either. So just because she's from a poor background doesn't mean we have to like or sympathise her. I'm not saying Leona's like this but I generally hate artists who keep saying: "Ooh I had such a bad youth blablabla" Well BIG DEAL. I did too and I'm not running around telling everyone about it. Mika deserves this fame, Leona well perhaps she does too, but X-factor artists just don't have my respect. It's like going through the backdoor while others had to struggle for so long. But at least they have their dignity.

If you looked worldwide at how many countries MIKA was in the charts with GK, and then compared those figures with a UK based TV show X factor winner you might see a very different picture.

You obviously realise that the comparision doesn't stand here, but you make it lol.

HAHAHA.:naughty:

You branded me someone who does not know anything about music on a previous thread because I said that 'Leona must be either a loveable person or with some very poor background / sad history that make people love her that much' and now you admit that she is from a poor family background...

:shocked:

I didn't brand you like this lol

What i reproached you is that, you think that we can only understand her success by things like she must be a loveable person or with a sad story or from a poor background... this is bull****, this wasn't exploited by the show, and you can not win something like the X factor because you're a lovely person...

Your point about her not being able to 'afford creating her own music' does not stand and sounds rather naive.... :mf_rosetinted: I hope you don't believe that creativity is a direct consequence of wealth. Paul Mc Cartney and John Lennon were not born in the Hamptons, for example, or in Hamptstead, whatever....

If you mean your family background and education contributes to how creative you are, that is also something that simplifies reality but is more like a point we can start discussing ...

Do you have better examples than those 40yo ones with a different society?!

Anyway, you can't access music (instruments) without money, Music is an expensive art, it's a fact!

You can have all the creativity that you want, if you can't exteriorate it, what's the point...

Your family background helps you developping ur creativity but don't create it.

How can you access music lessons, instruments without money ?!

Anyway, Mika did NOT use his or his family's money to record and promote that album... You basically cannot finance it unless you are Paris Hilton.

Recording & Promoting an album is financed by the record company.

He used his student loan to produce his demos.

Sure Leona would have had other ways to break through but I don't look down on her for choosing this way. If someone has a great voice, cannot write their own stuff and is happy to be shaped into form by someone who learned his skills from Pete Waterman, that's the best way to go. I would have done the same if I was that kind. But I am not.

I've read lots about Mika's family house in South Kensington (Posh French speaking district in London) and about his studios in the basement worth thousands ££...

To be honest with you, I have a problem with Mika's background, because he said in a French TV Show 3 weeks ago that at some point they lost everything they had when his dad was an hostage... They moved from Posh Chic 16th arrondissement of Paris to South Kensington (the London equivalent) you can't afford living there and sending ur son at the French lycée (quite expensive as well) if you don't have money, There's something missing in the puzzle.

Leona was very much involved in her album's writing... (She recorded an album before of her own songs but was not released)

Do you have better examples than those 40yo ones with a different society?!

Anyway, you can't access music (instruments) without money, Music is an expensive art, it's a fact!

You can have all the creativity that you want, if you can't exteriorate it, what's the point...

Your family background helps you developping ur creativity but don't create it.

How can you access music lessons, instruments without money ?!

OK... from the top of my head ...Mick Hucknall (Simply Red), Oasis and Amy Winehouse (1 from each one of the last 3 decades).

...though Amy's case is a proof that it 's not the money but the genes you inherit and the culture you are brought up in..

Anyway, this is a pointless debate and everything has been said about it.

Let me give you a present - from Suzie with love:

http://www.myspace.com/leonalewis

http://www.leonalewismusic.co.uk/