Illegal downloading

sirave

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I download some music illegally. I'm not going to lie.

For me, it depends on the artist. I would NEVER EVER illegally download Mika's music or Rufus Wainwright or artists that I love. If I do illegally download music, it's usually stuff that I don't really care about, but maybe like a song or two from them (like Justin Timberlake, etc) that I like. I just think that it's an unavoidable issue.

EVERYONE does it, even famous musicians. If you say you have never done it, you're lying.

I don't think that Mika has ever said anything about his opinion on it, but I imagine that he does it too or has done it before. He probably doesn't like his music being downloaded illegally, but would be willing to risk it if it would mean that someone downloaded an illegal copy of GK, loved it, and decided to go out and buy the album.

This evening on the french TV news (France 2) they spoke about illegal downloading and Mika ^^ (there was also a short video of "relax")...

Can you give us a rough idea of what the piece was about, especially in relation to Mika? My French is terrible!

I don't know what Mika's official position is, but unofficially he should be fine with illegal downloading. I downloaded two of his tracks illegally a year ago and subsequently I have purchased an album, a DVD and 4 concert tickets.

Ultimately Mika will earn his fortune through concert ticket and merchandise sales. He receives a pittance from CD sales and has to pay back much of it to his record company for the costs associated with making and promoting his album.

If his official position is that he is anti-illegal downloading it is to keep his record company happy because they are the only ones benefitting from a crackdown on it.

At the beggining the journalist says that "Mika can be relax now". There is a new law about downloading, it was signed today by Sarkozy and others (well.. lots of his "friends"). The general idea is that the first time you're caught downloading you receive an e-mail. And the second time you're banned of the web xD

What he said :bleh:.

I hardly understood anything.. And french from France isn't even that different!

I think downloading is a good way to be introduced to new music.

When my friends send me something that they think is great, that's illegal. But if I like the song I will go out and buy the album. Something I wouldn't have done if I hadn't heard the song "illegally" first.

• 3 months later...

heres my explaination for downloading music :wink2: for ex i heard the song she moves from the kooks & thought hey i like that song i wonder what the album`s like ? but instead of rushing out to buy it i downloaded it from the internet , then found out i didnt like any of the other tracks :thumbdown: if i had bought the album i would have felt totally ripped off just like the bands do when people illegally download , so in a way i try before i buy :bleh:

I download some music illegally. I'm not going to lie.

For me, it depends on the artist. I would NEVER EVER illegally download Mika's music or artists that I love. If I do illegally download music, it's usually stuff that I don't really care about, but maybe like a song or two from them that I like. I just think that it's an unavoidable issue.

EVERYONE does it, even famous musicians. If you say you have never done it, you're lying.

EXACTLY the same hear. Almost if you've read my thoughts:blink: :thumb_yello:

If I care about a band or artist I buy a legal cd. If my friends like it, they have to buy it themselfs, I'm not gonna burn it for them, that's like the same thing as illegal downloading. If you like someone, just buy it. I don't even like a illegal cd, I want the original one because of the booklet and stuff:wink2: There are times when I get a illegal cd, but if I like it, I buy it original. And if I don't like it I don't even use it:mf_rosetinted:

I admit it I d/led Mika st0ofs cos I loved what I heard and I couldn't wait till it was all out properly, I NEEDED to have it with me at ALL times and to play it to others as I felt sorry for them being so deprived and not hearing Mika music, but then I did buy the cd and I keep it for best lol. I also got the dvd for Christmas and he signed it :mf_lustslow: and I will buy his next album unless its full of rap or tecno rubbish or something I hate but I just can't see that happening lol. I also bought 6 x 2 tix to see him live (yeah I gotta pay double everything cos my daughter Vix comes with me). (seen him 2 extra times but we won those tix.

wasabi_tea If it wasn't for illegal downloading, I wouldn't have half the CDs I have now.
:naughty::naughty::roftl: gotta admire the honesty.

yeah exactly, i think that illegal downloading can up the singer's sales cos i know if i like their music i will go out and buy the cd as well cos i like having the cd and not jus songs on the computer, but by having the downloads u can sample what they are like first so i dont think they are losing out as much as ppl and the news speculate!!!

:naughty::naughty::roftl: gotta admire the honesty.

LOL, it's true, though, illegal downloading makes me buy more CDs! If I'd never illegally downloaded a bunch of anime songs back in the 90's, I would never have discovered all the random Japanese artists I know and bought their albums. I would also have never discovered my favourite band, Lacrimosa, and bought their entire discography. I would probably never have bothered buying Joy Division's albums either, or Rufus & Martha Wainwright's albums, or Brian Eno's albums, or Herbert Grönemeyer's, or Enya's...