Stuck in the Middle Decoded...

CordeliaMoon

I wanted to attempt to “decode” Stuck in the Middle and that’s what I came up with.

I’d like to know how you would decode it? It’s just my opinion here!

"Stuck In The Middle"

I sit and think about the day that you're gonna die,

'Cause your wrinkled eyes betrayed the joy with which you smiled.

Care to see my reason?

Care to put your life in mine?

**He is obviously mad at someone for some reason and that person is older than him as well.

That person seems to be happy in the fact that he is upset about it.

Therefore he asks the person to see it from his point of view.

Looking at life from the perspective of a boy

Who's learnt to love you but has also learned to grow.

Could we make it better, stormy weather?

So I dunno.

**The fight seems to be that this older person is wanting

him to stay as he is and not mature and change his views

on certain things. But through the constant fighting he

still asks to have another go but is unsure.

Oh, oh, oh - Is there anybody home?

Who will believe me, won't deceive me, who'll try to teach me?

Ah, ah, ah - Is there anybody home?

Who wants to have me, just to love me?

Stuck in the middle.

**He wants that person or someone else who is older

than him to care for him, to teach him how life is like

and who will not sell him lies.

He is stuck in the middle at how much he cares for this

person but also how much he wants to figure things out

on his own

I look at you,

You look at me,

We bite each other.

And with your bitter words you kick me in the gutter.

But my troops are bigger than yours

'Cause you'll never stand my fight.

Ours is a family that's based upon tradition

But with my careless words I tread upon your vision.

Are five kids better than one, who'd busy like to be gone?

** They still care but they fight together at any given time.

And instead of trying to mend it that person is still piling on

and piling on the situation to make him feel worse.

I feel this is related towards his family in two separate ways.

One can see it as an insult that was made towards him

and his siblings and that person does not accept the traditional

way of upbringing within that family (virginity until marriage perhaps?).

Or it can be seen that this other person is a woman who is older

than him who wants children but only wants one as opposed

to a full family of five children. He seems to have more backing

of his own relatives/family more facts and proof than the

other person.

This is to my name,

This ain't a greater plan to break your heart of me.

I know that what I've started means that when we have parted

I can live in honesty.

** He doesn’t want this relationship of any kind to end but due

to the circumstances there is no other choice.

This person seems to have deeply betrayed him (cheated on him?).

It’s somehow an illicit or forbidden relationship

(no not aiming at a gay relationship but a relationship with

someone much older than him). And finally when they have

parted there can be honesty in his life because the pretending,

lies and fights will end.

So, to my opinion, it does not indicate a gay relationship

but rather a relationship with an older woman who somehow

tried to “control” him and make him do things he didn’t want

or commit to something he didn’t want. And it was a known

situation as his family backed him up on this.

Read through the lyrics a few times and it’ll make more sense.

(and if one wants Happy Ending might be the result of

the story told in this song! Actually almost his whole album

could be followed as a love story from the start of the relationship

to the end (not all his songs though), worth a consideration I'd say...)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there was already a thread about this...

But from my point of view, it's a song about being accepted and loved for who you are. Like someone said, I think it's about Mika coming out of the closet to his family. The first part it's for his mom probably...yeah.. I think someone said that he said (lol) that the was nervous to sing it in a concert because his mom was there :biggrin2:

MIKA has said it himself it's about his mother and his grandmother!

The first line to me does not indicate a fight at all..its in fact the opposite...It's the fear of loosing someone, in this case his mother and grandmother...

The song is ultimately how Mika broke free from his family's ways, and how he didn't do it in spite of anybody, he just did what he felt he needed to do, pursue his musical career!

The song, both music and lyrics are not sad, or angry, its the "we fight and go through hell together but in the end we love each other in spite of our differences" type of thing....

The song is called STUCK IN THE MIDDLE cause Mika is the middle child, he's #3 of 5 I think...another obvious clue to the song being about his family!

..I dunno, that's how I see it! :thumb_yello:

EDIT:btw some of ur lyrics are wrong...teehee

EDIT2: I first I deleted it, but no, I should be able to express my point a view as well as everyone else here on MFC

Well sorry it didn't work. I'm new on this board so for starters I don't know if there has already been another thread on this song in the thousands of other threads on this forum.

And I looked up the lyrics on yahoo and that was what I found and I compared it to the song whilst listening.

I said what I thought it was about, I didn't know he meant it to be about his mother or his grandmother.

And I didn't do that to be laughed at with your "teehee" LnrdToxic.

I'm new here so give me a break.

Well sorry it didn't work. I'm new on this board so for starters I don't know if there has already been another thread on this song in the thousands of other threads on this forum.

And I looked up the lyrics on yahoo and that was what I found and I compared it to the song whilst listening.

I said what I thought it was about, I didn't know he meant it to be about his mother or his grandmother.

And I didn't do that to be laughed at with your "teehee" LnrdToxic.

I'm new here so give me a break.

Im so sorry, like I sad i wasn't trying to be rude, i was just letting you know! I didn't mean to offend!

I have just been discussing these lyrics and my interpretation of them the past 2 days or so, so funny this thread pops up at same time lol.

I also think it's to do with his growing up and coming to terms with all the turmoil and confusion that comes with it, and that he was trying to get through to his mum and family that he needs to be who he is even if it means going against family traditions. I don't think the title is purely just because he is a middle child, I think it says to me he is stuck in the middle of everything, all the arguments, the inner turmoil of being a teen, maybe even stuck in between other family feuds going on.

the 5 kids better than one bit confuses me though, I'm not sure if it refers to maybe him only ever being able to have one of his own (or even adopted or whatever, if it turns out he wont have his own) as opposed to being able to have a big family, or if it's to do with something more obvious than that.

The whole troops bigger than yours stuff reminds me of when my son (who is a year younger than Mika) used to make mazes and battle fields on paper when we used to row and that is how he felt it was like for him and that I was out to get him, but he always had bigger and better "weapons" than he imagined I had.

But I DO think he is just trying to say, this is me, we have our differences I may not be doing exactly as you want of me but I am not a bad person and there is still much love here, but when I leave home I wont have to pretend anymore and I can live my life being true to myself.

I don't think the person he argues with is doing it out of malice or getting any pleasure from rowing with him, and I don't think HE thinks that, because he feels fondness towards this person as he describes the smile behind her wrinkled eyes with a kind of affection.

Well that is how I see it but I guess lyrics are meant to mean what each of us wants them to, clever eh?

I have just been discussing these lyrics and my interpretation of them the past 2 days or so, so funny this thread pops up at same time lol.

I also think it's to do with his growing up and coming to terms with all the turmoil and confusion that comes with it, and that he was trying to get through to his mum and family that he needs to be who he is even if it means going against family traditions. I don't think the title is purely just because he is a middle child, I think it says to me he is stuck in the middle of everything, all the arguments, the inner turmoil of being a teen, maybe even stuck in between other family feuds going on.

the 5 kids better than one bit confuses me though, I'm not sure if it refers to maybe him only ever being able to have one of his own (or even adopted or whatever, if it turns out he wont have his own) as opposed to being able to have a big family, or if it's to do with something more obvious than that.

The whole troops bigger than yours stuff reminds me of when my son (who is a year younger than Mika) used to make mazes and battle fields on paper when we used to row and that is how he felt it was like for him and that I was out to get him, but he always had bigger and better "weapons" than he imagined I had.

But I DO think he is just trying to say, this is me, we have our differences I may not be doing exactly as you want of me but I am not a bad person and there is still much love here, but when I leave home I wont have to pretend anymore and I can live my life being true to myself.

I don't think the person he argues with is doing it out of malice or getting any pleasure from rowing with him, and I don't think HE thinks that, because he feels fondness towards this person as he describes the smile behind her wrinkled eyes with a kind of affection.

Well that is how I see it but I guess lyrics are meant to mean what each of us wants them to, clever eh?

Perfecto! That's exactly what I think of Stuck in the Middle. You just saved me a lot of typing, thanks. :thumb_yello:

Mika's lyrics can mean anything don't they ;)

I personally always think of the fights I have with my parents when I listen to that song. Especially when I take decisions they don't agree with and I feel torn and "stuck" between two feelings:

1) Anger because they don't believe in my choices.

2) Sadness and doubt cause I can't help thinking they're older, know better, and maybe they are right and I shouldnt be doing what I'm doing cause I'll never succeed.

I think this song is about love, no matter what, and about how upset you can be when people tell you what you should do or not even when you know they're only trying to protect you. Of course I could be wrong, and I myself can think of 10 more explainations to the song... ;)

I think this song is about love, no matter what, and about how upset you can be when people tell you what you should do or not even when you know they're only trying to protect you. Of course I could be wrong, and I myself can think of 10 more explainations to the song... ;)

That's exactly what I think about Stuck in the middle !!

I think he felt stuck in the middle of what he wants in life, what he wants to do or achieve on the one hand and what his family wants him to do or be on the other hand. And that he's decided to go his own way and do whatever he thought that he had to do, which meant that he had to leave is home en be on his own. I think it's all about finding your own identity in life and be true to it.

To me it's definately about (undisclosed) family issues and resolving these in a loving and caring manner.

Well if you leave the parents out of the equasion, my interpretation of it isn't that bad.

To each their own, I never said any of the other ideas were wrong.

But if this is about his grandparents/parents then some lyrics don't make much sense.

Mmmm... which ones ? Really I don't see what you're talking about hun :biggrin2:

So I'll point to these lines:

Boy who learned to grow

Ours is a family...

Seems pretty clear that he adresses his family to me. But I ain't in the boy's head, so who knows... ;)

And I don't know who was right... these ain't the right lyrics :wink2:

"Is there anybody home, who will believe me, won't deceive me, WON'T TRY TO CHANGE ME" is what I hear... don't know about the others...

I have always thought about stuck in the middle as a song to/about his family, especially his parents or someone else he looks up to. It's about growing up. To me the title of the song is about not being a child anymore, but not yet really an adult, just stuck somewhere in between. And to start questioning everything you've learned and taken for granted, all the family traditions "are five kids better than one?".

I don't really think that this is an angry song, or something like that, I think it is about love, but all the pain and problems when it has to change it's form. An adult dosent love Hes/shes parents in the same way that a little child does, but he/she still loves them (usually)

I dont know if I'm making any sense or if you understand what i am trying to say. And it's probably all wrong anyway, I have no idea of what mika really thought of when he wrote this song, but this is what I think of when I hear it, 'cause it fits me.

very random: why does my piano partitions book say "truths" instead of "troops"? i already talked this through with sienna and sariflor and i was told that it IS "troops" but i'm still wondering why it's "truths" in the book. :blink: