Brits Predictions From Planet Sound

babspanky

From Planet Sound (ITV Teletext)

Who will win the Brits?

By John Earls - Let's get this out of the way straight off: frankly, we don't have much of a clue who will win.

Other than a tendency to let bands win a clean sweep of awards, like Kaiser Chiefs in 2006, it's hard to predict who will win at the Brits.

It's rare that they look beyond the obvious big-hitters in each category - but even then there can be a surprise, like Jamie T getting Best Newcomer.

The most obvious winners to pick would normally be in the categories voted for by the public.

Thus, Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love looks to be a certainty for Best Single - except that fans' internet campaigns can often derail these things.

So don't be surprised if Take That win for Shine, with Mika and The Hoosiers strong outside bets. Put it this way, it won't be Mutya Buena's Real Girl.

With Take That, Mika and Leona Lewis up for the most awards - four each - Take That would be our favourite for a clean sweep, if anyone.

Mika is too divisive for anyone to throw their weight behind, though he's most likely to win Best Male.

Take That would be a safe enough choice unless the voting academy decide it doesn't look good for British music's future for a reunited boyband to win.

All of the Best Album candidates have their downsides.

Mark Ronson's is all cover versions; Mika's is too Marmite; Arctic Monkeys' didn't have many standout singles and they may be punished for being sniffy about awards; Leona Lewis and Take That's albums just aren't very good.

At a guess, Arctics will win anyway, with Mika and Take That also in with a reasonable shout.

British Group is an interesting one. It's a surprise not to see Klaxons in there, and it's hard to see Editors winning after a fine but low-key year.

With pop on the comeback, our guess is Girls Aloud will win. It's the first time they've been shortlisted and they're the one band pop and rock fans alike are in general agreement on.

Klaxons may yet win Best Breakthrough, though Leona and Kate Nash could too.

So, to stop hedging our bets, here are our predictions. Only for gawd sake don't take our word for it, we aren't risking so much as a tenner...

British Awards: Male: Mika. Female: Leona Lewis. Group: Girls Aloud. Album: Arctic Monkeys. Breakthrough: Klaxons. Live Act: Muse. Single: Leona Lewis.

International Awards: Male: Bruce Springsteen. Female: Rihanna. Group: Arcade Fire. Album: Arcade Fire.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh well like horse race betting .. if one horse is hotly tipped to win then the "odds" come down .. example

20 - 1 .. you put 1 pound on and the horse wins you get 20 pounds back ....

Nowwww if that horse is favourite or some inside knowledge occurs then the "odds" drop ... say 6 -1 .... you put a pound on and if it wins you get 6 pounds back

Mikas "odds" have dropped

Lesson one for the day complete :roftl::thumb_yello:

Thus, Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love looks to be a certainty for Best Single - except that fans' internet campaigns can often derail these things.

Blech. Really? Decent piece of manufactured pop, but it ain't got nothin' on Grace Kelly.

Mika is too divisive for anyone to throw their weight behind, though he's most likely to win Best Male.

He's got to get this one - at least. I'll be genuinely surprised if he doesn't.

All of the Best Album candidates have their downsides.

Mark Ronson's is all cover versions; Mika's is too Marmite; Arctic Monkeys' didn't have many standout singles and they may be punished for being sniffy about awards; Leona Lewis and Take That's albums just aren't very good.

Well, I hope that crosses Leona and Take That off the list. I've not heard the albums in their entirety, but based on the singles, I don't think they compare to LICM - even trying to get past my obvious biases. I'd be disappointed but understand, though, if Mark Ronson took this one.

Thanks for posting, Babs! Are you planning on YouTubing the big event? :fisch:

Well, I will def be hanging out here waiting for news, we do get it shown here in Oz on one of the pay tv music channels but not until 13 March. :shocked: Think I will know the results by then! :naughty:

But, given the fact that our boy will have such a good night it will def be worth watching on my big tv :thumb_yello:

Thanks for posting - I do read Planet Sound but it's usually a Mika free zone. I suppose they couldn't get away with not mentioning his name in a write-up about the Brits though I'm sure they tried :naughty: .

Fred - when you say the odds against Mika have dropped, for which award do you mean???

Thanks for posting - I do read Planet Sound but it's usually a Mika free zone. I suppose they couldn't get away with not mentioning his name in a write-up about the Brits though I'm sure they tried :naughty: .

Fred - when you say the odds against Mika have dropped, for which award do you mean???

Yeh overall he was 20-1 to get album , newcomer and single .. it went down to 10-1 yesterday

Yeh overall he was 20-1 to get album , newcomer and single .. it went down to 10-1 yesterday

That's because, yesterday, friends, family and band arrived home. And what did they do? Get straight down the old bookmakers.:mf_rosetinted:

No, seriously, they probably did it online. :naughty:

So don't be surprised if Take That win for Shine, with Mika and The Hoosiers strong outside bets. Put it this way, it won't be Mutya Buena's Real Girl.

Take That's Shine????

If not Mika, I'd rather have Leona Lewis win that because Shine sounds 'sweaty' - like it was put together by someone who was trying hard to write a hit song based partly on how he learned to write songs and partly on the use of some typical clichés found in other songs...

Take That's Shine????

If not Mika, I'd rather have Leona Lewis win that because Shine sounds 'sweaty' - like it was put together by someone who was trying hard to write a hit song based partly on how he learned to write songs and partly on the use of some typical clichés found in other songs...

:roftl: :roftl:

Sweaty, I love that!

I'm going to use that in place of cheesy now (cheesy is so overused these days:naughty: ).

Maybe sweaty and cheesy aren't the same though. Though cheese can be sweaty too. LOL I'm talking c**p!!!!

:roftl: :roftl:

Sweaty, I love that!

I'm going to use that in place of cheesy now (cheesy is so overused these days:naughty: ).

Maybe sweaty and cheesy aren't the same though. Though cheese can be sweaty too. LOL I'm talking c**p!!!!

... notes from Suzie's thesaurus of adjectives decribing songs:

1., every sweaty song is cheesy (e.g. TT Shine)

2., not every cheesy song is sweaty (e.g. Jacko: You Are Not Alone)

3., when you hear a cheesy song you want to turn off the TV/ radio

4., when you hear a sweaty song, you first want to bang your head against the wall and then turn off the TV/ radio

:mf_rosetinted:

... notes from Suzie's thesaurus of adjectives decribing songs:

1., every sweaty song is cheesy (e.g. TT Shine)

2., not every cheesy song is sweaty (e.g. Jacko: You Are Not Alone)

3., when you hear a cheesy song you want to turn off the TV/ radio

4., when you hear a sweaty song, you first want to bang your head against the wall and then turn off the TV/ radio

:mf_rosetinted:

*studying hard*

:roftl:

I'm guessing all Westlife's songs fall into the cheesy + sweaty category.

You could draw a Venn diagram to show the relationships between cheesy/sweaty (please, don't...:mf_rosetinted::naughty: )

*studying hard*

:roftl:

I'm guessing all Westlife's songs fall into the cheesy + sweaty category.

You could draw a Venn diagram to show the relationships between cheesy/sweaty (please, don't...:mf_rosetinted::naughty: )

Now girls, I appreciate your expertise in these matters, but even I could have told you that Westlife's output is cheesy and sweaty!:naughty:

To be fair to Take That, they do write their own stuff. They're not just another rubbish boy band, they've actually got some credibility. *actually loves Shine*

*runs and hides from you all*

Of course I want Mika to win though. I never phone up to vote for things, but I've done it for him.

To be fair to Take That, they do write their own stuff. They're not just another rubbish boy band, they've actually got some credibility. *actually loves Shine*

*runs and hides from you all*

Of course I want Mika to win though. I never phone up to vote for things, but I've done it for him.

I don't mind 'Shine' either actually and although I'm no fan of TT I do think they are better than the average boyband. A few of their songs are sweaty though :naughty: But then I could name one or two sweaty Mika songs if I dared to on here :shocked: But I value my life so I won't...

I'd rather see Shine win than Bleedin' Love, anyday. But Grace Kelly should win!! *has a serious deja-vu moment*

I don't mind 'Shine' either actually and although I'm no fan of TT I do think they are better than the average boyband. A few of their songs are sweaty though :naughty: But then I could name one or two sweaty Mika songs if I dared to on here :shocked: But I value my life so I won't...

I'd rather see Shine win than Bleedin' Love, anyday. But Grace Kelly should win!! *has a serious deja-vu moment*

I like TT, and would love to know any sweaty TT or Mika songs - go on Gata, I won't hold it against you !:naughty:

I knew someone would put me on the spot :sneaky2:

Ok, Rule the World is sweaty, and as for Mika, I find Erase perspires freely too.:blink: Or rather, Mika did when he wrote it staring at his brief of "American radio-friendly MOR power ballad to stick on end of LICM in US".

There, I've said it *runs away*