The "Yasmine Penniman Appreciation" Thread

CazGirl

I was just looking for this pic today :shocked: thanks Scut!

I was looking for this pic thanks!

You're welcome. :thumb_yello:

For those who didn't go to the exhibition/or see pics of it .. or for those who did go but want to reminisce, here's the thread with all the pics

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6717

I'll say thanks again for taking those photos, it was a great way for those that couldn't be there to still 'see' the show.

I really liked how they showed the genesis of the artwork, it's interesting to see how concepts began and how much work was put into achieving the final product. The quality of the artwork is high, even the pieces that didn't make the 'cut' into the CD, DVD, posters or videos are wonderful. It's like a little world, all the extra elements that didn't make the finished artwork but provided a background for everything else that they did. :thumb_yello:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say that Yasmine is one of the nicest people I have met. I had a chance to talk to her for a minute, but it happened to be right as everybody was busy packing things up so I didn't want to take up too much time. (I was completely blown away by everything at that point, and was still nervous about what to say! Hopefully i'll get another chance to talk with her.) I really regret not saying all of the things i wanted to say. If I could go back, I would thank her, and tell her how her art has helped me find mine.

I do quite a bit of art; sketches, painting, pastels photography, (coloring books....hehe) anything I can get my hands on really. My great grandfather, grandfather, granny, dad and mom are all gifted artists, so I hope I inherited that. Many times, I’ll look at what is being done in art around me, and it sometimes seems that in order to be a good artist, you have to be able to perfectly recreate a scene or image. This always frustrates me because I’m a bit ocd and everything has to be perfect for that. Lots of paper and erasing (poor trees). The more of her artwork I saw, the more I tried to experiment with my own. I started doing what I wanted, and not just what I thought I should do. This all happened to quickly really. I remember the first time I sat down and just drew anything that I wanted. It felt so incredibly right. I was finally relaxed and free to do what I wanted, less structure, more personality. I experiment more now and if I could pick one thing that has rubbed off it would be the use of bold, bright colors- it makes it so much fun. I love draw or paint with music on, it inspires me as nothing else can. Music and art go hand in hand for me, it’s pretty much my way of life. I know Mika and Yasmine both work on the art, so both are included in my gratitude. Both (and as I hear it, most of the family) are talented inspirational artists and I look forward to seeing more from them.

Ooh I haven't seen this thread in a long time :wub2:

i remember i saw a myspace profile of dawack some time ago, don't remember if it was hers or a fan site.. anyway, i don't find it anymore. does anybody have the link?

She deleted it. If it's the same one I'm thinking of. I don't know if it was really hers or not though *shrugs*

I must say that Yasmine is one of the nicest people I have met. I had a chance to talk to her for a minute, but it happened to be right as everybody was busy packing things up so I didn't want to take up too much time. (I was completely blown away by everything at that point, and was still nervous about what to say! Hopefully i'll get another chance to talk with her.) I really regret not saying all of the things i wanted to say. If I could go back, I would thank her, and tell her how her art has helped me find mine.

I do quite a bit of art; sketches, painting, pastels photography, (coloring books....hehe) anything I can get my hands on really. My great grandfather, grandfather, granny, dad and mom are all gifted artists, so I hope I inherited that. Many times, I’ll look at what is being done in art around me, and it sometimes seems that in order to be a good artist, you have to be able to perfectly recreate a scene or image. This always frustrates me because I’m a bit ocd and everything has to be perfect for that. Lots of paper and erasing (poor trees). The more of her artwork I saw, the more I tried to experiment with my own. I started doing what I wanted, and not just what I thought I should do. This all happened to quickly really. I remember the first time I sat down and just drew anything that I wanted. It felt so incredibly right. I was finally relaxed and free to do what I wanted, less structure, more personality. I experiment more now and if I could pick one thing that has rubbed off it would be the use of bold, bright colors- it makes it so much fun. I love draw or paint with music on, it inspires me as nothing else can. Music and art go hand in hand for me, it’s pretty much my way of life. I know Mika and Yasmine both work on the art, so both are included in my gratitude. Both (and as I hear it, most of the family) are talented inspirational artists and I look forward to seeing more from them.

I agree with everything you said there, from Yasmine being one of the nicest people ever, to what a great influence she's had on people (such as you and me). I've spent money on a whole load of paints and other art tools because I missed this side of art. I've always learnt about the boring stuff and it was nice seeing something more modern and 'pop' like the kinda things I prefer to see. Can't wait til exams are over so I can carry on with my drawings :punk:

I agree with everything you said there, from Yasmine being one of the nicest people ever, to what a great influence she's had on people (such as you and me). I've spent money on a whole load of paints and other art tools because I missed this side of art. I've always learnt about the boring stuff and it was nice seeing something more modern and 'pop' like the kinda things I prefer to see. Can't wait til exams are over so I can carry on with my drawings :punk:

I second that. It seems that the time when i need art the most, is always the time when i don't have time to do it. I don't get out till June 11th though:thumbdown: It's really quite unfortunate.

I second that. It seems that the time when i need art the most, is always the time when i don't have time to do it. I don't get out till June 11th though:thumbdown: It's really quite unfortunate.

Precisely, stupid school, such a pain in the a double s :sneaky2:. 5 days before me, I finish on the 16th :(

I went through a period when I was child where I just couldn't stop drawing. I'd ask for paper when my birthday came around LOL, but then I went through a period where I just stopped (had a bit of a hidden crisis during that time lol) but now I draw whenever I can or feel the inspiration to. Copying real life, copying cartoons, making my own Manga comic strips...I like to do a variety of things but only with pencils. It's the only thing I know how to use and am happy using that one media. I CAN'T STAND USING PAINT, although Danika's very good at it if her Yasmine Appreciation Book is anything to go by. I must say her artwork really helped me get inspired again and I said thanks in the message I sent her, in Danika's book. I hope she's read it. It's so fantastic to see something fresh.

And I agree with Scut - I love seeing the raw drawings (like the ones never painted) makes you appreciate even more how much work goes into it. What a genius.

And I never saw that myspace :boxed: first time ive ever heard of it!

I went through a period when I was child where I just couldn't stop drawing. I'd ask for paper when my birthday came around LOL, but then I went through a period where I just stopped (had a bit of a hidden crisis during that time lol) but now I draw whenever I can or feel the inspiration to. Copying real life, copying cartoons, making my own Manga comic strips...I like to do a variety of things but only with pencils. It's the only thing I know how to use and am happy using that one media. I CAN'T STAND USING PAINT, although Danika's very good at it if her Yasmine Appreciation Book is anything to go by. I must say her artwork really helped me get inspired again and I said thanks in the message I sent her, in Danika's book. I hope she's read it. It's so fantastic to see something fresh.

And I agree with Scut - I love seeing the raw drawings (like the ones never painted) makes you appreciate even more how much work goes into it. What a genius.

And I never saw that myspace :boxed: first time ive ever heard of it!

And wonderful drawings have come out of your talent :wink2:

Aw thanks :wub2: I guess after a while it gets annoying, I painted for 2 hours on Monday, 6 hours yesterday, and 7-8 hours today for my art exam and I'm still not finished :blink:

I know I shouldn't tell you this cos it was supposed to be a surprise.. but.. I'm gonna 'make ya something' for your birthday :)

And I agree with the bit I bolded there, I've finally found something different, and the sort of art I like to see more of because of the work she's done. I really, really, really x 1000 hope they hold another exhibiton (preferably in London).

Yeah she had it a few months ago, but then she posted a bulletin saying she was going to delete it because noone believed it was actually her, which is one of the reasons I thought it wasn't her, cos who cares if people think if that's really her or not? But her pictures were kind of private I guess, but then the way she wrote didn't sound like her, like the way she wrote sounded like she was foreign, but her English is perfectly good. And if she did actually create that Myspace, then sorry for offending you Yasmine :naughty:

And wonderful drawings have come out of your talent :wink2:

Aw thanks :wub2: I guess after a while it gets annoying, I painted for 2 hours on Monday, 6 hours yesterday, and 7-8 hours today for my art exam and I'm still not finished :blink:

I know I shouldn't tell you this cos it was supposed to be a surprise.. but.. I'm gonna 'make ya something' for your birthday :)

And I agree with the bit I bolded there, I've finally found something different, and the sort of art I like to see more of because of the work she's done. I really, really, really x 1000 hope they hold another exhibiton (preferably in London).

Yeah she had it a few months ago, but then she posted a bulletin saying she was going to delete it because noone believed it was actually her, which is one of the reasons I thought it wasn't her, cos who cares if people think if that's really her or not? But her pictures were kind of private I guess, but then the way she wrote didn't sound like her, like the way she wrote sounded like she was foreign, but her English is perfectly good. And if she did actually create that Myspace, then sorry for offending you Yasmine

You're making me something for my birthdaaaaay??? Aaawwwww!!! :tears: *wishes she gave you more than just a birthday card for yours lol*

Ooooooh I totally didnt know about "Yasmine having MySpace". I kinda wish I saw it? :blink:

And i TOTALLY hope they do another art exhibition. I nearly went to it. I would have gone on the 11th, but that became a private party, and on the 12th I had a dance rehearsal, and on the 13th and 14th I had dance shows. Talk about crap timing!

Mika's LiCM front cover took me four days, and his Love Today single cover took me two if i remember correctly lol. sometimes i wonder why i go through so much trouble:roftl:

You're making me something for my birthdaaaaay??? Aaawwwww!!! :tears: *wishes she gave you more than just a birthday card for yours lol*

Ooooooh I totally didnt know about "Yasmine having MySpace". I kinda wish I saw it? :blink:

And i TOTALLY hope they do another art exhibition. I nearly went to it. I would have gone on the 11th, but that became a private party, and on the 12th I had a dance rehearsal, and on the 13th and 14th I had dance shows. Talk about crap timing!

Mika's LiCM front cover took me four days, and his Love Today single cover took me two if i remember correctly lol. sometimes i wonder why i go through so much trouble:roftl:

It's ok :) plus I didn't get you a card when you turned 18, soo.. kinda makes up for it.

You didn't miss out on much, sadly it didn't have pics of her artwork, there were a few from the exhibition, and other non-art related ones.

Ah, that was so unlucky :thumbdown: I know you definitely would have loved it if you came. We just need to hope and pray (maybe nag him by sending him messages) about having another one :).

I guess it's kind of worth it? And cos the artwork is so amazing you just feel the need to want to do it as well? :D I've wanted to draw out the covers of the album/singles as well, but then I couldn't be bothered and thought I'd rather just do my own stuff.

It's ok :) plus I didn't get you a card when you turned 18, soo.. kinda makes up for it.

You didn't miss out on much, sadly it didn't have pics of her artwork, there were a few from the exhibition, and other non-art related ones.

Ah, that was so unlucky :thumbdown: I know you definitely would have loved it if you came. We just need to hope and pray (maybe nag him by sending him messages) about having another one :).

I guess it's kind of worth it? And cos the artwork is so amazing you just feel the need to want to do it as well? I've wanted to draw out the covers of the album/singles as well, but then I couldn't be bothered and thought I'd rather just do my own stuff.

Aawww you're so cute Dan, I have a feeling this "creating stuff for birthdays" might turn into a tradition :bleh:

i would have loved to have gone to that exhibition, i was gutted i couldn't go!!! I think we should start a "WHO THINKS MIKA SHOULD DO ANOTHER EXHIBITION?" thread :naughty:

I quite like copying things, because I like to see the likeness afterwards, and I can see my mistakes and stuff. I also learn from other people's styles and I can implement it into my own work. Take the picture I drew Jemma for example:

DSCF1262.jpg

The animé characters were copied from a "how to draw Animé characters" book I purchased in America, September 05. With Mikey Choi I copied a face from one character and used the hair from another. Thus, I give them their own little characteristics to give them...well, more character. (similarly in the Mika/Yasmine manga comic, where I copied a chibi character and gave him curly hair, white t-shirt, red jeans and braces, to give him the "Mika" look). I had to improvise Jemma's face in the first pic of her, and her body language in the pic of her and Mikey Choi in the split pic. The background lines (that form in the centre and explode outwards) are a combination of DaWack's style (think "Big Girl" single cover) and Animé so this suited to the manga comic, and the lines behind the door were taken from the LiCM front cover, same with the psychadelic circles. I suppose it's a bit like Mika's sound - he listens to different types, takes different elements from different songs and place them in his own - therefore creating a similar and recogniseable yet different sound.

haha, i sound like i'm writing an essay :roftl:

She definitely is my favorite artist these days!

mika_relax_inside_back.jpg

How many people could create that?! :wub2:

freakin' bloody brilliant.

how does she do it...?

everything about her reeks amazingness

yasmine is an amazing inspirational artist, she makes everything mika sings about come to life, she is apart of LICM, she gives it the CM part (lol) the Penniman family is a very talented part of the world (lol)

Just amazing!! It looks easy 'cause it's like cartoon kinda drawings but it's extrememly hard...and to top it off with all the colours...psychedelic and wonderful :wub2:

I agree with u guys...the Penniman's are just wonderful, beautiful and gifted family!!!

her artwork has inspired me soo much! actually now i have a list of about 15 people i'm frantically trying to make 'mika' pics for. actually i made a single picture of sun and cloud w/ mika's name on it. then all my friends started asking if they can have one with their name on it! it's really fun doing it but the best part was when one girl in my class said she'd pay me to make her one!:shocked: unfortunatly i didn't hear that part, and said' oh well i have a long list right now, maybe later!':boxed: how stupid!! o well. thanx yasmine for inspiration!!

Just amazing!! It looks easy 'cause it's like cartoon kinda drawings but it's extrememly hard...and to top it off with all the colours...psychedelic and wonderful :wub2:

I agree with u guys...the Penniman's are just wonderful, beautiful and gifted family!!!

@ the picture you quoted: LOVE the miniature pictures of Billy Brown's life encircling the big picture of him, especially the ones of him puking down the toilet and standing outside rehab LOL!

Aawww you're so cute Dan, I have a feeling this "creating stuff for birthdays" might turn into a tradition

i would have loved to have gone to that exhibition, i was gutted i couldn't go!!! I think we should start a "WHO THINKS MIKA SHOULD DO ANOTHER EXHIBITION?" thread

I quite like copying things, because I like to see the likeness afterwards, and I can see my mistakes and stuff. I also learn from other people's styles and I can implement it into my own work. Take the picture I drew Jemma for example:

DSCF1262.jpg

The animé characters were copied from a "how to draw Animé characters" book I purchased in America, September 05. With Mikey Choi I copied a face from one character and used the hair from another. Thus, I give them their own little characteristics to give them...well, more character. (similarly in the Mika/Yasmine manga comic, where I copied a chibi character and gave him curly hair, white t-shirt, red jeans and braces, to give him the "Mika" look). I had to improvise Jemma's face in the first pic of her, and her body language in the pic of her and Mikey Choi in the split pic. The background lines (that form in the centre and explode outwards) are a combination of DaWack's style (think "Big Girl" single cover) and Animé so this suited to the manga comic, and the lines behind the door were taken from the LiCM front cover, same with the psychadelic circles. I suppose it's a bit like Mika's sound - he listens to different types, takes different elements from different songs and place them in his own - therefore creating a similar and recogniseable yet different sound.

haha, i sound like i'm writing an essay :roftl:

Even when we're looking like this >> :old: We'll still be making each other birthday gifts :naughty:

Go for it :fisch: or a petition, or whatever, I'll definitely join in/sign.

Ah yeah that was such a lovely pic :)

You practically are writing an essay :naughty: It's a good thing to get different influences, it's the only way you're going to get inspired.

@ the picture you quoted: LOVE the miniature pictures of Billy Brown's life encircling the big picture of him, especially the ones of him puking down the toilet and standing outside rehab LOL!

They are really great must of taken, AGES to do, so much detail. And I totally love the *cough* threesome *cough* one.. but I guess you would expect that from me :fisch:

her artwork has inspired me soo much! actually now i have a list of about 15 people i'm frantically trying to make 'mika' pics for. actually i made a single picture of sun and cloud w/ mika's name on it. then all my friends started asking if they can have one with their name on it! it's really fun doing it but the best part was when one girl in my class said she'd pay me to make her one!:shocked: unfortunatly i didn't hear that part, and said' oh well i have a long list right now, maybe later!':boxed: how stupid!! o well. thanx yasmine for inspiration!!

Soo... you wanna make me one too? :fisch: just joking, don't worry :naughty:

They are really great must of taken, AGES to do, so much detail. And I totally love the *cough* threesome *cough* one.. but I guess you would expect that from me :fisch:

haha, reminds me of the mika+jerry+ashley/transexual saga :roftl: