Cover Song Fantasies

Scut Monkey

'Cause once in a while we like to discuss music and not underwear while waiting for the new record and tour, in the "Mika's Next Album" thread several people started discussing what songs they would love to hear Mika cover in the future. So I decided we should give the discussion its own thread.

In the past Mika's covered Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin", Eurythmics's "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" and "Missionary Man", Michael Jackson's "I Want You Back", Massive Attack's "Teardrop", Nina Simone's "I Got Life", Candi Staton's "You Got The Love", Prince's "When Doves Cry", The Gossip's "Standing In The Way of Control", The View's "Same Jeans", Dave Matthews' "Satellite", Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie", The Police's "Can't Stand Losing You" (and let me know if I've missed any others). What do you think he should cover in future? What would be your ultimate Mika cover song?

Here's what was said so far:

Suzy:

I would love Mika to cover a Beatles song.

LadyGodiva:

I would pass out if mika covered a Beatles song. I told my sister that i would die if he covered a Beatles song.....and a few hours later i found where he sings the last few Lines of here comes the sun i was in awe.

Scut Monkey:

I just sifted through my Beatles back catalogue and found it hard to find a song that would suit his live shows... "I've Got A Feeling" maybe? I'd love to hear him sing "Here Comes the Sun" or "I, Me, Mine" a.k.a. mostly George Harrison songs, or maybe some Paul McCartney songs "Let It Be" or "Eleanor Rigby"... but all of those aren't exactly energetic stage songs. Except maybe from "Let It Be" which would fit in will with his keyboard-based tracks? Or "Penny Lane", that would be really fun, and is in the same vein as "Billy Brown". Oh, but you know what would take the cake? "Strawberry Fields Forever". I would love to hear how he'd interpret that song.

But I wonder whether he would even do a cover song of someone like the Beatles, Queen or Elton John... maybe he's tired of being compared to them and to perform one of their songs might fuel that more? But then again he did cover a Prince song, if only once. Who knows what he'll bring to his future lives shows - so far he's made very good choices with cover songs: Eurythmics, Michael Jackson, Candi Staton, Prince.

Suzy:

Besides some of the ones you suggested, I can hear him perform Obla-Di Obla-Da, Hey Jude, Yesterday, ...

Scut Monkey:

Oh no, anything but Ob-la-Di Ob-la-Da. (Who wants to sing about boring old gender roles anyway.)

I thought of Hey Jude and Yesterday, maybe even Blackbird, but they're... slow. I don't know if they'd suit his voice?

Y'know what, I'm listening to Here Comes the Sun at the moment and I'm starting to think that it really would be a good song for him to cover after all.

Suzy:

Yes, Here Comes The Sun is fitting. But Obla-Di is such a fun, happy song - and...the conventional roles are reversed in the end of the song.

Scut Monkey:

The Anthology demo recording of the song is not reversed at the end. The reversal was a performance mistake of Paul's that was incorporated in the final version.

Suzy:

Most Beatles' songs seem fitting because they are melodic and story-like, similar to the obvious "Billy Brown" of course. I could also see some Bee Gees covered too...for different reasons, but I'm not sure Mika can do the falsetto as well as they can.

Scut Monkey:

Yeah, they do have that melodic similarity. "Billy Brown" has always reminded me of "Penny Lane" (everything from the piano to the horn section to the singing itself). It's lyrics are also fun hence why it'd be good to perform live, it's also characteristically "British" (if that makes sense) so I think he could pull it off well. The Bee Gees I'm not so sure about, I mean I'm sure he could pull off the falsetto but their music doesn't seem as in line with his sound. On the other hand, Elton John's honky tonk piano I think he could cover well. I'd kill to hear "Rocket Man" (this one especially) or "Tiny Dancer" or "Your Song" or "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" live. That would be simply amazing.

Suzy:

YES! Elton John's "Rocket Man" and "Someone Save My Life Tonight", "Tiny Dancer" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"...would be amazing...

natmika:

It's funny that you are talking about Mika and the Beatles. I haven't said it in the past, because some people may consider it blasphemy as the Beatles are music royalty and our guy is just starting, but I see a lot of similarities between Mika and them.I think it is the storytelling for starters, but there is something else I cannot put my finger (is that correct?), a kind of energy and the way they created a world within an album. Also, if we hear their albums in order, they evolved from a simple sound to something more complex and subtle, and that's the way I see Mika going.

And if we are talking covers, I would love for him to sing Blackbird or Hey Prudence (one of my favorites)

lollipop_monkey:

I wouldn't mind seeing a cover of Here Comes the Sun.

Also - I've always thought that Mika's more Elton-like than Freddie-like. I'd love to hear him cover Rocket Man.

EDIT: or Your Song! That would be epic. He'd get to the line "how wonderful life is, now you're in the world..." and we'd all collectively melt into multicoloured puddles.

Scut Monkey:

Spot on! Rocket Man would be amazing.

lollipop_monkey:

Your Song. That would be another good cover.

Also, did you girls see that snippet that's floating around YouTube where it looked like he was going to cover Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere" on Taratata? That would have been luverly.

Scut Monkey:

Oh no, don't get me started on Fleetwood Mac. I'm now having visions of "Landslide"...

BonjourMika1990:

Oh My God, if Mika covered 'Here Comes The Sun' I would stand there transfixed and in awe. That song is my go to tune for every transition in my life. I even compare Mika to "The Sun" in that song so... if he sang it, it would be too good to be true

I'd probably faint

Laurel:

Actually I'd love him to do Fleetwood Mac's Big Love. I love that bloody song. Can just imagine him doing the grunting bit at the end.

I have the 12" to that. Everywhere is good, but Big Love is fabulous.

Mag:

I totally agree, to me Mika was closer to Elton- eg in Stuck in the middle, that I adore

I would so love him to sing Your Song.

Now I come to think of that, I would like him to cover Stevie Wonder Superstition

BonjourMika1990:

I WOULD ALSO FAINT if MIKA ever played Sweet Child O' Mine by GUNS

I think out of all the GUNS songs, that's the one best suited for his voice

Marilyn Mastin:

Funny you should say that he's more like Elton. I heard my favourite Elton song, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' a while back, and thought, I'd love to hear Mika sing it. It's not an easy song because it suddenly jumps up high, and you have to nail the note or it doesn't sound right, but Mika could nail it easily!!

tauruslady:

someone mentioned Fleetwood Macs everywhere!!!!

Mika please cover that song!!!!!!!!!!! his voice makes that so like in that Taratata video

canuckchick:

I was thinking the other day how it would be cool to hear MIKA do a cover of David Bowie's Changes!!!

I'd love to hear all of your ideas. :thumb_yello:

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, did you girls see that snippet that's floating around YouTube where it looked like he was going to cover Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere" on Taratata? That would have been luverly.

someone mentioned Fleetwood Macs everywhere!!!!

Mika please cover that song!!!!!!!!!!! his voice makes that so like in that Taratata video

I'm intrigued: which video was this and what part of it?

What about a George Michael cover?

Actually GM did a cover of Calling You from Bagdad Cafe...I would love to hear Mika do that....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=z-46HyXuAwk

Oh yeah...I think I can picture him covering "I Want Your Sex", "Father Figure" and "Freedom"

*can't really remember too many ohter GM songs*

Oh no, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" has been one of my favorite songs since I was 3 years old! When I saw Elton perform it in concert 20 years later, I nearly cried myself to death. (True story) So, I think it'd be best if Mika doesn't sing it. :wink2: I do think he'd be great at some Elton. In fact, when I first heard Mika, he reminded very much of a young Elton John. I'd love to hear him sing "Levon". That would kick some serious ass.

Oh, and as much as I love "When Doves Cry," I have an entire LIST of Prince songs I want to hear Mika sing. I'd quiver with glee if he ever sang the sexy, gender defying jam, "If I Was Your Girlfriend" :mf_lustslow: or the dark, moody funk masterpiece, "Controversy". :punk:

Oh no, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" has been one of my favorite songs since I was 3 years old! When I saw Elton perform it in concert 20 years later, I nearly cried myself to death. (True story) So, I think it'd be best if Mika doesn't sing it. :wink2: I do think he'd be great at some Elton. In fact, when I first heard Mika, he reminded very much of a young Elton John. I'd love to hear him sing "Levon". That would kick some serious ass.

Oh, and as much as I love "When Doves Cry," I have an entire LIST of Prince songs I want to hear Mika sing. I'd quiver with glee if he ever sang the sexy, gender defying jam, "If I Was Your Girlfriend" :mf_lustslow: or the dark, moody funk masterpiece, "Controversy". :punk:

Yep, I thought the same thing re: young Elton.

List the Prince songs, please. That should occupy you for a while. :naughty:

Ah! Mika covering I don't feel like dancing from the Scissor Sisters would be great!

He could do basically all of the Scissor Sisters songs brilliantly, he could get the Jake Shears falsetto down pat. :thumb_yello: (But I don't know if he'd want to, he gets compared to them enough as it is. :bleh:)

Which reminds me: Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" would be perfect. :wub2:

List the Prince songs, please. That should occupy you for a while. :naughty:

Heehee....I think I'll stick with those 2 for now!

Seriously though, "If I Was Your Girlfriend" would be so awesome. It's way sexy. I mean...if you're into that sort of thing... :mf_rosetinted:

He could do basically all of the Scissor Sisters songs brilliantly, he could get the Jake Shears falsetto down pat.

Actually, I've thought of some non-falsetto Scissor Sisters songs which would be excellent: I Can't Decide, Almost Sorry, and Music Is The Victim. The first two are honky tonk piano-ish and the latter is really catchy and energetic, but maybe they're not so suitable as they're a tad cheeky. :bleh:

Going off of the Elton John stuff, I think Daniel would suit his voice very well.

If we were talking Beatles...that's really tough in my opinion. Trying to find something that would suit his voice and his liveliness..*sifts through Beatles CDs...*

MAYBE I Want You (She's so Heavy) but that's a bit too bluesy..hmm..

Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey might be fun.

Honey Pie? (not the wild one. haha)

I'm A Loser? :naughty: Kidding.

Mr. Moonlight? (I think we'd all die when he sings "Misteeeeeeeeeeer Mister Moonlight!)

I'm going to stop there and think some more. haha

Hhhhmmm .... my list is WAY too long ... but here are a few ... :wink2:

Beatles: Because ( I THINK it's called that ... "Because the world is round ..." )

Beatles: Get Back !!

Elton John : Benny & the Jets !!

Roger Glover (Pink Floyd) : Love Is All (from the Butterfly Ball)

Prince: If I was your Girlfriend :wink2: . & Little Red Corvette (melt)

Phill Collins: Behind the Lines

Corner Shop: Brimful of Asher

George Michael : 'I Want your Sex' & 'Faith' ....

Haha ... that'll do for now ... I'm sure I can come up with WAY too many more ..... :naughty:

Can you imagine the end of Queen's One Vision if Mika sang it??

The whole fan club would die....

Gimme gimme gimme Fried chicken:roftl:

I know! :lmfao:

Sadly that song is too powerful for him I think. He would need to smoke and drink to get a voice like that (ironic huh?):naughty:

Beatles: Because ( I THINK it's called that ... "Because the world is round ..."

It's Because:thumb_yello: , and I was thinking of that one, but didn't say it because it's a capella and has a lot of harmonies, but thinking about it again, I can see it possibly working.