Calling all Shopaholic fans!

mandilambi

Does anyone else here love Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series?

I love the books and am really exciting about the upcoming film that's set to be in theaters in Feb 2009! I am not sure about the casting...I like Isla Fisher and Hugh Dancy, but don't like the choice for her parents at all. :thumbdown:

Will be interesting to see a movie version in any case.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093908/

So...any fans out there? :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have one of the books, i bought it ageees ago, but i haven't finished it, cause i have the strange habit of reading various books at the same time...so when i get like bored of one i start other one and so on...:mf_rosetinted:

but yes, what i have read i like it!!

I used to do that all the time too! I'd start more than one book and would eventually only read one and never finish the other. I have trained myself to only start one book at a time now, though. :D

Glad you enjoyed what you read of it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella's books too !

Well,especially the Shopaholics! They are fantastic!

I'm having such a blast reading them!

It's such a shame the first film is taking place in NY,the plot is not going to be the same at all! But I'd like to see what they make of it

Does anyone else here love Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series?

Me me me!!!!!!!

I'm a big Sophie's fan!! I have all the Shopaholic series, but I've read it only until the one with her sister, have to read the last one with the baby. Personally I LOVE the first one, and even the second, though the other ones are a bit "forced" if you get what I mean. Anyway, they're so funny!!

Did you read "Can You Keep a Secret"?? :roftl:

I have read up until Shopaholic and Sister too! Actually...I'm right in the middle of it. I had to stop because of my children's literature class....I had too many books required to read. :-S

All of Sophie's non-Shopaholic books are on my reading list! I'm looking forward to reading them.

I'm a HUUUUUUUUUGE fan of Sophie Kinsella full stop!!!

the shopaholic series (the entire collection), the undomestic goddess, can you keep a secret?, remember me?

Love love LOVE them all! :mf_lustlow:

I was disappointed it is set in NY! What's up with that? Oh well...hopefully it is still good.

So was I! I was like WTF?!

But the guy playing Luke is UUUUUUBER CUTE so i guess that will make up for it :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah, I suppose you have a point. I just hope they aren't going to make it all American. I liked that the characters were English. :)

Yeah,it was a part of the "spirit" of the Shopaholics ! ^^

I'm a HUUUUUUUUUGE fan of Sophie Kinsella full stop!!!

the shopaholic series (the entire collection), the undomestic goddess, can you keep a secret?, remember me?

Love love LOVE them all! :mf_lustlow:

:roftl: I knew I'd see you there! ^^

Some people talked about Can you keep a secret ? :roftl:

It is a fantastic book! I think it's the best stand-alone ! Emma looks a lot like Becky although it is sometimes a bit too much

I have read up until Shopaholic and Sister too! Actually...I'm right in the middle of it. I had to stop because of my children's literature class....I had too many books required to read. :-S

All of Sophie's non-Shopaholic books are on my reading list! I'm looking forward to reading them.

Can You Keep a Secret? is great!! The others I haven't read yet, but planned to, one day soon:blush-anim-cl:

• 9 months later...

I really love the books! it may not be proust but it's pretty entertaining :bleh:

besides, I hate proust.. :roftl:

I tried and read also other kinsella's works, but found them pretty dull, aside the one about the lawyer moving to the coutryside to escape her life and be exchanged for a maid. that was not bad. sorry, i forgot the title. :boxed:

I heard they are making a film out of the shopaholic book # 1. hope it'll keep up with the expectations.

some books, like the one about becky being pregnant, was absolutely hilarious. I totally bursted out laughing alone at times.. people thought I was gone mad :blush-anim-cl:

I really love the books! it may not be proust but it's pretty entertaining :bleh:

besides, I hate proust.. :roftl:

I tried and read also other kinsella's works, but found them pretty dull, aside the one about the lawyer moving to the coutryside to escape her life and be exchanged for a maid. that was not bad. sorry, i forgot the title. :boxed:

I heard they are making a film out of the shopaholic book # 1. hope it'll keep up with the expectations.

some books, like the one about becky being pregnant, was absolutely hilarious. I totally bursted out laughing alone at times.. people thought I was gone mad :blush-anim-cl:

I agree, they're very entertaining but I think she kept the saga too long, the one with her sister for example was quite boring imo..

Avoca the movie is being released next month, on the 23rd!:wink2:

Oh, how could I miss this thread???

I really really REALLY like Sophie's books, and the Shopaholic series was definitely a highlight.

They are just so funny! I remember that when I was reading the first one, I'd just sit there and laugh my head off, all by myself, which was quite funny in itself when it happened in the tube and people would look at me like I was totally nuts, hahaha! ....God, they are so hilarious that it's not possible to sit and read them without bursting out laughing :roftl:.

I never read the sister one I think, just the first 2 or 3, and then I felt what Mirti said about the story being a bit 'forced'. Maybe I will give them another go at some point though.

I like Sophie Kinsella's books a lot but the movie looks absolutely horrible. I couldn't sit through the preview ads. I hate the changes they made (it made the whole thing feel so much more generic) and the heroine seems to be unspeakably obnoxious. I LIKE Becky Bloomwood in the books: I don't think I can stand watching ten minutes of the "Becky Bloomwood" on the movie.

I'm really disappointed about this. It could have been an adorable little chickflick.

--Jack

I like Sophie Kinsella's books a lot but the movie looks absolutely horrible. I couldn't sit through the preview ads. I hate the changes they made (it made the whole thing feel so much more generic) and the heroine seems to be unspeakably obnoxious. I LIKE Becky Bloomwood in the books: I don't think I can stand watching ten minutes of the "Becky Bloomwood" on the movie.

I'm really disappointed about this. It could have been an adorable little chickflick.

--Jack

Oh, hi Jack! Nice to see you around :punk:

We haven't coincided in ages.

I agree about the movie- I just got round to watching the trailer now, and she has already irritated the heck out of me.

Becky in the books was an adorable character, but this one in the film just seems like a spoilt brat type :naughty:.

Jack I agree with you, it looks like they changed the whole story.. well, I'll give the movie a chance anyway cause I like Isla Fisher and will see how it has turned out.

I hate that! I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to translating books for the big (or small) screen. It needs to be exactly as the book (and my imagination) or I won't like it. :naughty:

I hate that! I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to translating books for the big (or small) screen. It needs to be exactly as the book (and my imagination) or I won't like it. :naughty:

Yeah me too, and when I go out of the theatre I'm like "it wasn't like this! in the book it's different, blah blah.."