Mika goes to India!

babspanky

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say this is so weird. I know Mika's really into having a mish-mash of influences, but I can't imagine what an Indian influence on his music would sound like. (And also the studying hinduism!!)

Then again, it figures. I always said that I got into him 'cause he reminded me a bit of Marc Bolan and some other 70s singers, and they all had an Indian-guru phase too. Maybe it's just another way for Mika to be retro. :naughty:

Has he really been to India before? I don't remember. Maybe when the fashion commentators were talking of him being "exotic" and "ethnic" in his clothing choices, they were really picking up on his apparent new interest in India rather than Morocco?

--Jack

I hate hearing how stressed he is, it makes me quite upset actually...so does that mean he won't be watching when Fred delivers the news about the official-ness? Oh, it doesn't feel so special anymore....I mean, I know he must have a laptop or a computer or something but it just doesn't feel as if he's close anymore...simply because he's not in london lol.

Has he really been to India before? I don't remember.

Yeah he mentioned something about it in a video...about playing cards in the hotel being illegal. I don't know if it was one of the ones that was deleted in the YouTube raid.

Maybe he is going to work with Ravi Shankar!

Eat lots of yummy food!

Last time he was in India he got Dehli Belly, so he'll probably want to watch what he eats. Especially if the toilets are anything like the Kool Haus. :naughty:

I still say this is so weird. I know Mika's really into having a mish-mash of influences, but I can't imagine what an Indian influence on his music would sound like. (And also the studying hinduism!!)

Then again, it figures. I always said that I got into him 'cause he reminded me a bit of Marc Bolan and some other 70s singers, and they all had an Indian-guru phase too. Maybe it's just another way for Mika to be retro. :naughty:

Has he really been to India before? I don't remember. Maybe when the fashion commentators were talking of him being "exotic" and "ethnic" in his clothing choices, they were really picking up on his apparent new interest in India rather than Morocco?

--Jack

Yes, he has been to India before.

--Jack

he has been to India before. don't you remember the "everyday objects" video, where he got given a pack of cards? he said he was in india recently with a bunch of friends and they all got really ill, and they played cards in the lobby but got told off because it was illegal, as it sided with "gambling".

He has been to India before, he mentioned his trip where he and his friends got sick with Delhi belly and were told off for playing cards in public because it's illegal there. It's near the end of the Everyday Objects interview here:

Wonder if the album art for the 2nd album will be Indian-inspired then. That could be really nice.

I'm still amused by the idea of Bollywood Disco. :naughty: And half-wondering if this isn't just a fancy excuse for a tan and a holiday. There are no recording studios in private yogi retreats after all... :fisch:

Edit: Oh, Scut beat me to it.

Oy, I hope he DOESN'T try to do any Bollywood style music videos. That would be so Gwen Stefani. I think appropriating a culture and reducing it to some kind of decorative fetish object as a marketing technique is beneath him (or anyone decent, really).

--Jack

He has been to India before, he mentioned his trip where he and his friends got sick with Delhi belly and were told off for playing cards in public because it's illegal there. It's near the Everyday Objects interview here:

Oh yeah - Delhi Belly! I remember now! :roftl:

half-wondering if this isn't just a fancy excuse for a tan and a holiday. There are no recording studios in private yogi retreats after all... :fisch:

If it is a holiday he could have just chosen to holiday in Australia, we have many inspirational remote and spiritual sites here too. :mf_rosetinted:

He cancelled V Festival in Australia (which, btw, I've just managed to sell my ticket for at a loss of $50) just so he could do yoga in India! He's going to have some very unhappy Aussie fans on his hands. :sneaky2:

Uh-oh...explosion in the Aussie thread...

Jai guru deva oooom ......

Like babs said in the Apples thread -at least yogic flying doesn't involve chafing. :naughty:

Er, right. :blink:

Maybe he's pulling a George Harrison...hopefully the yoga will help him relax.

I think this trip will do him alot of good, though. Just wandering around India, soaking up the culture, just RELAXING. He's had such a busy year and now he's got time ON HIS OWN, and I personally think that's what he needed most. Just because he's out in India, I don't think it will necessarily mean that the next album will be influenced by that culture...I find you get more inspiration when you're just left alone with your head. But maybe he'll find a new story or two out there - who knows. Who fancies travelling to India to find out? :mf_rosetinted: