The Australian Thread: Part Twelve

Rainbow Sky

Oh, PJ, I forgot to say that I think the Don't drink and drive speech is a great idea. The fact that they do it means they need to have it rammed into their heads! My grandfather was killed by a drunk driver as he stepped out of the car on the side of the road with all his family present. My Mum was only 14.

And my Dad was a traffic cop. The number of fatals that he's attended... They're both fairly opinionated about drink driving.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so I heard back from the US Embassy. They replied the same day, I just forgot to check my emails. The letter they sent me was only so helpful. It seems that there's no particular food restrictions, and because I'm a non-commercial shipper sending to a friend I can get away with not having filled out some piece of paperwork that commercial shippers have to do. So I'll just send what I like basically.

Oh and hubby mentioned that SAO's are Australian and of course, damper.

FINKSTER!! Where are you??!!

Jols did you end up pm'ing her with ideas or recipes?

WOW Peej !! I live in a town with no major stores either , on the coast, & mostly I love it ... but we do have to drive for an hour for lot's of other things ... :sneaky2:

And hey, I was trying to think of a persuasive topic for your speech ... but then you came up with the drink driving thing & I reckon that's EXCELLENT !! There are SO many compelling reasons why ppl shouldn't drink & dr !!ive ... here in Aus. the slogan which is used is .... 'If you drink & drive you are a bloody idiot !' ..... also... even googling DUI stuff ... like state emergency services have explicit photos of car crash victims as a result of drink driving ... very persuasive !! They are really heavy on it here in Australia !!:thumb_yello:

I've had friends drink and drive before and I don't understand how they did it without killing themselves or other people. I was mad at them and instead a bullsh*t argument was picked and then I was blocked from their AIM and a couple days later they deleted me from facebook so pretty much because I wasn't happy I got punished by having them hastily ending the friendship.:sneaky2:

I heard on a radio show and found it online that in North America someone dies ever 32 minutes due to drunk driving. I also found a nifty poem that I'm going to include at the end of my speech that really makes you think about how you're not only hurting yourself but others.... it's this poem but I must warn it's pretty sad: http://www.utpb.edu/ird/staff/kb/drnkpoem.htm

I hope it makes some people around here think. Because it's the end of the semester I've been hearing so much talk about drunk driving and I've heard a lot of people say it's fun because it makes things challenging. :boxed:

Good grief you what challenging? Go get drunk then play suduko... give yourself a challenge of writing those numbers in tiny boxes when you're tipsy!

Sounds like fun...although, I think I'd fall off if I just heard it start up!

I hate speeches period:thumbdown:...people really say it makes the drive more interesting?:shocked:

You poor bugger... that'd make it nice and competitive for the few jobs around....see that's why I would never live any further than 45 minutes from the city...what are you going to do now?

It was fun, just insanely hard. I didn't think it would be that bad. My friend had a good laugh though when I actually stayed on for 7 seconds. When I got off she said, "it was so funny. You were just there and then you started to lean and you looked like you were thinking 'oh crap' and then you just fell off the side." :lmfao:

I don't know what I'm going to do job wise. I'm going to check the three grocery stores, the teddy bear factory and then some sport place and if there's nothing then umm... no clue. Luckily food money was mixed in with part of my tuition for next year so I won't be entirely screwed if I don't find a job. I was afraid I'd have $0 for food.

*adopts voice of Ted Bullpit* Well, back in MY day, we had to crawl over 10 miles of broken glass in the snow just to look at a picture of a university!

TED BULLPIT! THAT'S IT! THAT'S THE GUY WHO'S NAME I WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER LIKE 4 THREADS AGO! Me and Peej were talking about people who look like that white haired actor and I said about that Australian white-haired actor that my brother met when he was little, before I was born, and it was him, Ted Bullpit:naughty:

But seriously, back in my day, you had to go to the lectures, cos the notes weren't on the intranet or photocopied and put in the library like they were by the time my hubby was doing IT as a mature age student. If I didn't go, I didn't have any notes unless I could cadge some off a friend. But still, go ahead and ask me how much lecture time I spent either in the cafeteria, shopping, or down the beach? LOL! (I was at Edith Cowan Churchlands campus, which I don't think is running anymore.)

Sucked iiiiiiin! Both for the lack of technology and the lack of a decent uni *zhhz*

The kids at church have had great success with these fundraising boxes for camps and things and we always have the $1 box with the Freddos (mixed flavours, but plain actually sells best) and the Caramellos.

Awesome. Yeah, I think people mostly buy the plain milk choc .. I do. We need to raise $10,000 though :P

I watched the How to Look Good Naked show and thought it was great! I love Carson, he's always so upbeat and positive. And I didn't know there was a British version...

Yeah I reckon. I only watched the second half, but it was good I think.

I "discovered" Nutella again after having my first baby and oh! I purposely don't have it in the house anymore cos I eat it straight from the jar and a jar will only last a couple of days!

LOL!

HOLY CRAP....you agree....with me

*demands photos*

*demands that you get yourself a myspace account and look at my previously uploaded photos* :naughty:

Yep, but it's on cable which is probably why you haven't seen it.

:sneaky2:

...knob head! People just don't understand a good Mika obsession!

Thanks. Actually, the exact same thing has happened to my youtube videos. All the related videos are Mika videos, even though the videos have nothing to do with Mika.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....Bite me pee wee!

*bites you again*

Never mind the end bit....we all did that at some stage or another....some of us still do except now it's at work :fisch: OD needs to do as we say.... not as we do!

*does as you do*

So yeah... Spring day.... rode the bull, played in the money machine, won a $25 itunes gift card.

Yay!

UGH! I hate speeches. This one is a stupid persuasive speech that's supposed to be 12-15 minutes long. Honeslty... I have nothing to persuade people about for that long. Most of the things I can think of I don't have a lot of information on and there's no way to get it. I'm just thinking of doing one persuading people to not drink and drive. I know half the class won't give a crap because I'm sure they do it and find it fun so ugh. I've just heard so much talk lately from people being all, "it's so much fun. It makes the drive more interesting and more fun."

Persuade them that Mika is a fantastic genius :wink2:

But drink driving is a good one it seems. At first I was going to say "what? that's a stupid topic, everyone knows thats a stupid thing to do" - but wtf, apparently not. I have honestly never heard of anyone that has drunk driven, or of anyone doing so on purpose or thinking it is fun. You should really do it. That would be a good topic, heaps of info. (But so would the Mika one...)

No one is going to want to higher me because I won't even be there for three months. :thumbdown: I plan on moving into the house with my housemates around the second week of August so I'd leave my job before then... kind of have to since I'll be living in another state... so I'll only be there for two. I found out tonight that where I'm from has the highest unemployment rate in the state.

Try temping, it pays super good, and they'll hire you for what ever period.

I am however trying to get a new phone (mine dropped on the road and a big chunk fell off) so I sent a sucky email to the IT guy who is in charge of them I even put in a (not so subtle!) request for a Blackberry, but that is just really dangerous!

I'm sure they'll give you the blackberry, you've more thsn prooven yourself capable of looking after a normal mobile already (not).

My b/f is a performer & he was in one of the first TAC commercials, he played the distraught father (on hearing news about his child's car crash) .... I'm pretty sure that ad won an award that year ...

Woah, awesome! Try and spark my memory a bit mroe as to what happened in it?

OK so I heard back from the US Embassy. They replied the same day, I just forgot to check my emails. The letter they sent me was only so helpful. It seems that there's no particular food restrictions, and because I'm a non-commercial shipper sending to a friend I can get away with not having filled out some piece of paperwork that commercial shippers have to do. So I'll just send what I like basically.

TOld you so :tongue2:

What's SAO?

I've heard a lot of people say it's fun because it makes things challenging.

Good grief you what challenging? Go get drunk then play suduko... give yourself a challenge of writing those numbers in tiny boxes when you're tipsy!

PERFECT! Please say this in your speech!

OD - get back to studying

Are you spying on me!?

Cool- this is the email I got from 92.9 for Rate The Hits- Go Mika!!!!

Rate The Hits and Tell Us What To Play!

Win Gold Class Tickets to the new Indiana Jones film!

Just for telling us what to play at 929.com.au you could be sitting in style and comfort at Greater Unions Gold Class cinemas to see one of this year’s biggest blockbusters Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - only at the movies from May 22.

Top 3 Rated Hits This Week!

Mika - 'Big Girls'

Mika keeps the hits coming. He wrote this one in fifteen minutes after watching a doco on a nightclub that only allowed 'big girls' in.

The Veronicas -'This Love'

Fresh from picking up Australian Artist of the Year at the MTV Awards, the girls are back with their third single from Hook Me Up. Tell us what you think!

Flo Rida - 'Low'

The super-charged single jumps from its national number one spot straight into your Rate The Hits Top 3, but are you still going with the Flo?

Do you still love those hits? Tell us what to play now!

Thanks for taking the time to Rate The Hits and keep listening to station to hear the music you choose

You'd better believe it sistah :glasses2:

:roftl:

Mika - 'Big Girls'

Mika keeps the hits coming. He wrote this one in fifteen minutes after watching a doco on a nightclub that only allowed 'big girls' in.

Woo! Awesome! Do you have a link for us to vote with or whatever?

:roftl:

Woo! Awesome! Do you have a link for us to vote with or whatever?

You have to get them to send you the email each week, if you go to http://www.929.com.au you can dign up to rate the hits there. It's pretty easy, but not as easy as we would like!

I was going to MQ, but I lost them all and can't even remeber what was in them!

FINKSTER!! Where are you??!!

Jols did you end up pm'ing her with ideas or recipes?

Cool at least we know we can send whatever...I have a great recipe for capsicum, chive and cheese damper...mmmmm yummy!

I've had friends drink and drive before and I don't understand how they did it without killing themselves or other people. I was mad at them and instead a bullsh*t argument was picked and then I was blocked from their AIM and a couple days later they deleted me from facebook so pretty much because I wasn't happy I got punished by having them hastily ending the friendship.

I heard on a radio show and found it online that in North America someone dies ever 32 minutes due to drunk driving. I also found a nifty poem that I'm going to include at the end of my speech that really makes you think about how you're not only hurting yourself but others.... it's this poem but I must warn it's pretty sad: http://www.utpb.edu/ird/staff/kb/drnkpoem.htm

I hope it makes some people around here think. Because it's the end of the semester I've been hearing so much talk about drunk driving and I've heard a lot of people say it's fun because it makes things challenging.

It was fun, just insanely hard. I didn't think it would be that bad. My friend had a good laugh though when I actually stayed on for 7 seconds. When I got off she said, "it was so funny. You were just there and then you started to lean and you looked like you were thinking 'oh crap' and then you just fell off the side."

I don't know what I'm going to do job wise. I'm going to check the three grocery stores, the teddy bear factory and then some sport place and if there's nothing then umm... no clue. Luckily food money was mixed in with part of my tuition for next year so I won't be entirely screwed if I don't find a job. I was afraid I'd have $0 for food.

You're too good for them:wink2:...I was e-mailed a very similar poem and it made me cry.

I now have a mental pic of you falling sideways in slow motion:roftl:

I never even thought of that...at least you will have food....although we could've sent you care packages:wink2:

*demands that you get yourself a myspace account and look at my previously uploaded photos* :naughty:

Thanks. Actually, the exact same thing has happened to my youtube videos. All the related videos are Mika videos, even though the videos have nothing to do with Mika.

*bites you again*

*does as you do*

I have a myspace account so :bleh:...I never use it unless someone sends a friend request which I accept coz I'm too nice to say no. *doesn't mention that she only created it by accident:blush-anim-cl:*

I also have a facebook account coz that's what all my friends are on and I never use that either!

Tell the truth....you have everything marked as Mika related because you can't get enough of him!

*slaps you so hard that your teeth rattle again*

OMG there is definitely no hope for you now....it's all over :naughty:

You have to get them to send you the email each week, if you go to http://www.929.com.au you can dign up to rate the hits there. It's pretty easy, but not as easy as we would like!

I was going to MQ, but I lost them all and can't even remeber what was in them!

Awesome!

Lazy!

Way to go Mika!

Nice Mika-chu :roftl:

I have a myspace account so ...I never use it unless someone sends a friend request which I accept coz I'm too nice to say no. *doesn't mention that she only created it by accident*

I also have a facebook account coz that's what all my friends are on and I never use that either!

*stalks*

:das:

I found you. And I'm looking at your birthdate right this instant.

Ah, I found you on both. :das:

Tut tut, not a well kept secret at all. Now you'll never know what RBC stands for - muahahaha.

*wonders whether she should link*

*stalks*

I found you. And I'm looking at your birthdate right this instant.

Ah, I found you on both. :das:

Tut tut, not a well kept secret at all. Now you'll never know what RBC stands for - muahahaha.

*wonders whether she should link*

I knew you were going to stalk me..Do you really think, I'm stupid enough to put my real DOB on myspace and facebook!...I went straight to myspace because there was a photo which is why I set it to private :naughty:....hahahaha you know nothing, I didn't bother with facebook coz there was no pic and the DOB is false so :P

If I don't add my RL friends to facebook what makes you think I will add you?:roftl:

While we're at it...what's all that sh!t on it? Tanya just did this and that and took this quiz and that quiz? Tanya hasn't even been on facebook since it was created and had to reset her password so she could get in only to have your face pop up and scare the crap out of her.:roftl:...that is what e-mail is for.....If I add you, then I will have to add them or they'll crack the sh!ts because I've added you and not them.

Oh and I got yours and some guy named Mike's myspace friend request too!

You link and I'll give you such a virtual pinch and chinese burn!

*ponders whether to involve herself with all this myspace / facebook crap*

*will sleep on it and decide whether to add everyone tomorrow*

*slaps OD for putting her in this position*

*thinks it could be fun but then remembers she is challenged and that's why she sticks to e-mails coz she can't figure them out*

*gloats and is impressed she beat OD to the punch and has given up no personal information so :P*

Edit: Holy crap, I've just noticed that two of my e-mail addresses are on there.....I've now decided I will get someone to show me how to use the damn thing tomorrow and then decide.

Yay!

Persuade them that Mika is a fantastic genius :wink2:

But drink driving is a good one it seems. At first I was going to say "what? that's a stupid topic, everyone knows thats a stupid thing to do" - but wtf, apparently not. I have honestly never heard of anyone that has drunk driven, or of anyone doing so on purpose or thinking it is fun. You should really do it. That would be a good topic, heaps of info. (But so would the Mika one...)

Try temping, it pays super good, and they'll hire you for what ever period.

PERFECT! Please say this in your speech!

No one knows Mika up here though so that wouldn't do any good. The US never plays him on the radio. Besides some other girl is already going to do a speech on why Nine Inch Nails is the best band in the world. *rolls eyes*

We uh don't have temp jobs. :boxed: I hope that if there's any openings it'll be at the teddy bear factory. I hate working retail. If I could I'd get a photography job even if it's as an assistant. The only problem is there's only one photographer in the area and he'll feel threatened. He did by my best friend, he saw my best friends work and tried to send him to some college all the way on the other side of the US. So I'm not going there, I also wouldn't need him to tell me stuff like I wouldn't make it etc. :mf_rosetinted:

*Goes back to the speech.* :mf_rosetinted:

I knew you were going to stalk me..Do you really think, I'm stupid enough to put my real DOB on myspace and facebook!...I went straight to myspace because there was a photo which is why I set it to private ....hahahaha you know nothing, I didn't bother with facebook coz there was no pic and the DOB is false so :P

If I don't add my RL friends to facebook what makes you think I will add you?

While we're at it...what's all that sh!t on it? Tanya just did this and that and took this quiz and that quiz? Tanya hasn't even been on facebook since it was created and had to reset her password so she could get in only to have your face pop up and scare the crap out of her....that is what e-mail is for.....If I add you, then I will have to add them or they'll crack the sh!ts because I've added you and not them.

Oh and I got yours and some guy named Mike's myspace friend request too!

You link and I'll give you such a virtual pinch and chinese burn!

*ponders whether to involve herself with all this myspace / facebook crap*

*will sleep on it and decide whether to add everyone tomorrow*

*slaps OD for putting her in this position*

*thinks it could be fun but then remembers she is challenged and that's why she sticks to e-mails coz she can't figure them out*

*gloats and is impressed she beat OD to the punch and has given up no personal information so *

Edit: Holy crap, I've just noticed that two of my e-mail addresses are on there.....I've now decided I will get someone to show me how to use the damn thing tomorrow and then decide.

LOL! *slaps you*

DAMN IT!

*ponders whether you are lieing about this fake DOB stuff*

Why would you add me? B-b-b-because you love me? :tears:?

Facebook is crazy, I still don't get it :insane:

*decides you should*

*runs off to search your other email and correlate the combined "fake" DOBs*

No one knows Mika up here though so that wouldn't do any good. The US never plays him on the radio. Besides some other girl is already going to do a speech on why Nine Inch Nails is the best band in the world. *rolls eyes*

We uh don't have temp jobs. :boxed: I hope that if there's any openings it'll be at the teddy bear factory. I hate working retail. If I could I'd get a photography job even if it's as an assistant. The only problem is there's only one photographer in the area and he'll feel threatened. He did by my best friend, he saw my best friends work and tried to send him to some college all the way on the other side of the US. So I'm not going there, I also wouldn't need him to tell me stuff like I wouldn't make it etc. :mf_rosetinted:

*Goes back to the speech.*

Exactly why you should expose them! :naughty:

Are you sure? You should check. I know you say it's a small town, but Rockingham is a craphole and we have FOUR different temp agencys. But teddy bear factory is like the stuff you'd get from a temp agency anyway. Go for it. That's be an awesome thing to say you've done :naughty:

And don't be silly! Your a to-be-published photographer! He'd only have great things to say about you, I'm sure!

Sucked iiiiiiin! Both for the lack of technology and the lack of a decent uni *zhhz*

Awesome. Yeah, I think people mostly buy the plain milk choc .. I do. We need to raise $10,000 though :P

TOld you so :tongue2:

What's SAO?

Hey, none of the uni's in Perth (that I know of) had that technology way back in the early 90's. Please remember... I'm OLD!! And what's wrong with Edith Cowan?!

$10,000 is a lot of money. How long do you have to raise it? Do you actually have to fundraise or could you get a loan?

What's a SAO??!! And you call yourself an Australian! SAO's are those square crackers from Arnotts, the really flaky ones that go really well with vegemite or cheese and tomato.

Cool- this is the email I got from 92.9 for Rate The Hits- Go Mika!!!!

Rate The Hits and Tell Us What To Play!

Win Gold Class Tickets to the new Indiana Jones film!

Just for telling us what to play at 929.com.au you could be sitting in style and comfort at Greater Unions Gold Class cinemas to see one of this year’s biggest blockbusters Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - only at the movies from May 22.

Mika - 'Big Girls'

The Veronicas -'This Love'

Fresh from picking up Australian Artist of the Year at the MTV Awards, the girls are back with their third single from Hook Me Up. Tell us what you think!

Flo Rida - 'Low'

The super-charged single jumps from its national number one spot straight into your Rate The Hits Top 3, but are you still going with the Flo?

Do you still love those hits? Tell us what to play now!

Thanks for taking the time to Rate The Hits and keep listening to station to hear the music you choose

Very cool!!

Good morning Jolene

gallery_enlarged-lily-allen-photos-031408-04.jpg

And g'day to all you other possums

Hi Silver. For some reason Mika looks really sad and a bit tired in this pic. I just want to send him home for a decent sleep.

Hey, none of the uni's in Perth (that I know of) had that technology way back in the early 90's. Please remember... I'm OLD!! And what's wrong with Edith Cowan?!

ECU? Oh ... nothing ... :fisch:

$10,000 is a lot of money. How long do you have to raise it? Do you actually have to fundraise or could you get a loan?

I know :naughty: Until October. But we can pay for it ourselves, that's just the amount we can fundraise for. It's the cost of the program (like 3,500 each) but we also have to pay like $3000 airfares.

What's a SAO??!! And you call yourself an Australian! SAO's are those square crackers from Arnotts, the really flaky ones that go really well with vegemite or cheese and tomato.

Crackers? I dunno, I guess it rings a bell, but I don't exactly swell with pride at the knowledge my country created these things. Isn't Arnotts just an Australian company? Ie. all things made by Arnotts are Australian? I'd be much more proud of thos Clix cheese crackers, are they Australian? They are amazingly perfect.

Hi Silver. For some reason Mika looks really sad and a bit tired in this pic. I just want to send him home for a decent sleep.

*agrees*

Thanks, my brother came up with it for me! :groupwave:

:naughty:

I know :naughty: Until October. But we can pay for it ourselves, that's just the amount we can fundraise for. It's the cost of the program (like 3,500 each) but we also have to pay like $3000 airfares.

Crackers? I dunno, I guess it rings a bell, but I don't exactly swell with pride at the knowledge my country created these things. Isn't Arnotts just an Australian company? Ie. all things made by Arnotts are Australian? I'd be much more proud of thos Clix cheese crackers, are they Australian? They are amazingly perfect.

I wonder if you could get a sponser or something...

Arnotts WAS an Australian company but they got bought out by an American company (Campbells soup) quite a few years ago now:sneaky2: I'm not sure how many of their biscuits are uniquely Australian, and how many may have had their origins elsewhere, but SAO's have been made by Arnotts for over 100 years!

HOOPLA DENTON!

Geez! You lot have to talk a lot while I'm gone, don't you???

Well... I'm in Walgett, and I have no access to the net except for at school... which is a wee bit naughty! :naughty:

Is it a better job? What will you be doing?

btw, liked the Doctor Who/Mika stuff you posted - not a great Doctor fan but thought ZoZo did good job editing.

Well, it's permanent... it's... ahem... interesting... certainly testing me out...

Zoe didn't edit them though... which is a bit of a shame...

Say hi to Betty from Hey Dad! :lmfao: :lmfao:

That's great that you may have some permanent work- well done!

Will do! Good to see you picked up on it quickly!

Permanent till the start of December... which is better than nothing... the foot is further in the door now!

You must get some net.. somehow!!!

:tears: *waves* *cries*

I know... I will somehow... otherwise I won't be on here till hols...

Actually it's when the teachers eat and play with everything they've confiscated during term, drink, smoke and watch blue movies.

I have friends who are teachers :wink2:

Don't give away all our secrets!

Work?

Ew...

I'll miss you and your MQwhoring... but not the crotchcam *cries*

Yep... If I felt like being mean I'd tell you all what it's really like... it's defo an experience...

Least you'll miss my mqing... and I posted so you got to see Bono's crotch again!

And just so you know... people have been telling me stuff about what you're talking about here.... so don't go making snide comments about me or anything... cause I will find out...

I'm kidding! Or am I?

Hoopla Teegs!!!!!!!

*stares at crotch cam*

I missed you!! and Bono's crotch.. even though i can look at it everyday on my computer, it's just not the same as seeing it on the MFC.. randomly posted, and thrusting in between all those Mika pics..

*goes to investigate the cheapest and easiest way to get Teegs on the net in Walgett..* :wub2: