Universal earnings fall to £3.6bn despite Mika's success

paula.pop

hope it wasn't posted before

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/31/2

Universal, the world's biggest music company, suffered falling revenues last year despite fast growth in digital download sales and album success for Amy *Winehouse and Mika.

The record labels and music publishing business owned by French media conglomerate Vivendi said it increased market share in 2007 but revenues were down 1.7% to €4.9bn (£3.6bn) as the wider music industry continued to suffer.

Once the group's acquisition of BMG Music Publishing and UK music group and merchandising business Sanctuary were taken into account revenues were up 3% on a constant currency basis. Without those new additions, revenues were down 3%, partly "reflecting a difficult music *market".

The fourth quarter taken alone was particularly tough, with revenues down 5%, excluding the acquisitions. The drop off in revenues came despite last year's strong release schedule.

The record industry has been battling rampant piracy and looking for new ways to reach consumers who have grown used to paying little or nothing for music. While legal downloads have been rising they have yet to make up for falling CD sales.

Figures released last week by music industry association IFPI showed global digital sales last year accounted for 15% of the entire market that was down by 10%

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the record industry has had opportunities to react on the leap of technology. They preferred to sleep over it and that was the mistake IMO.

However for the future (and it might well be the near future) I see album sales merely as means of advertising for the artist/group while the money actually is made on stage.

There needs to be some way to prevent the illegal downloads, and when people buy music online, they must realise they have to pay a fair price for it. Otherwise they jeapodise the careers of their favourite stars.

I disagree... Artists don't earn so much on record-sales, unless they're also their own producers. Gigs and tv-performances are their main source of income. Illegal downloads and concepts like myspace might have downsides, but they're also the best way upcoming artists have to get some popularity.

Well Mika, you should get your ass in the studio and make even more money with the second album:mf_rosetinted:

:doh: Ingie, pay attention! :sneaky2: Mika doesn't make music for money, he does it because it makes him feel good :naughty:

Well Mika, you should get your ass in the studio and make even more money with the second album:mf_rosetinted:

:doh: Ingie, pay attention! :sneaky2: Mika doesn't make music for money, he does it because it makes him feel good :naughty:

:roftl::roftl::naughty:

I disagree... Artists don't earn so much on record-sales, unless they're also their own producers. Gigs and tv-performances are their main source of income. Illegal downloads and concepts like myspace might have downsides, but they're also the best way upcoming artists have to get some popularity.

Wise words :thumb_yello:

Well, the record industry has had opportunities to react on the leap of technology. They preferred to sleep over it and that was the mistake IMO.

However for the future (and it might well be the near future) I see album sales merely as means of advertising for the artist/group while the money actually is made on stage.

Absolutely!

It's good that he's not thinking of getting rich quick, but he DOES need to make a living! From what I understand, he plows a lot of his money back into his concerts, his videos and his production.

Actually, I could well imagine him setting up his own company or something like that. It could be the way to go. He'd have job satisfaction, and could earn enough for a nice lifestyle.

I don't know if it's still the case, but back in the '90s most of an artists revenue came from the merchandise. But judging from Mikas dvd, even that isn't so great now, as the merch guy said they only broke even that night.

there are still the legal actions:naughty:

http://www.musicactu.com/actualite-musique/89622/mika-reclame-30-000-euros-a-mika/

Who won?

Anyway, I hope the mikster would quite dissociate himself from Universal's pattern of behaviour till now :cool:

I mean, he should avoid get-rich-quick schemes that promise tremendous comebacks in return for little energy expenditure :newyear:

A great part of Mika's attractivity is due to his{presumed}authenticity imo, so it would be wise not to compromise ideals and values for apparent successes

:Update:

..glad they're slowly changing strategy

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/17/3

{...}

Carphone Warehouse boss Charles Dunstone recently rejected calls from music lobbyists to police the web, saying "the music industry has consistently failed to adapt to changes in technology and now seeks to foist their problems on someone else."

{...}

Universal, the world's largest music group, is also experimenting with tracks that are free of copy protection. The home of Mika and Amy Winehouse has been running a six-month trial to explore the appetite for DRM-free "open" MP3s.