Ohh interesting thread and a lot of beautiful pics <3

Some of mine:

s320x240

s320x240

s320x240

s320x240

s320x240

Beautiful colors!:wub2:

I LOVE this one! Someday I want to buy a macro lens. I love macro so much! :wub2:

Thanks!:thumb_yello:

This one was taken with a compact camera.

After reading a book about macro photography I forgot a little bit the a ideia of buying a macro lens. Of course I would love to have one, but they're very expensive and you can do such lovely experiences with some acessories too.:wink2:

I have a piece to reverse lenses, some extense tube and a below!:teehee:

can anyone advise me on here if there is something wrong with my camer or is it me, I have a Pentax optio (something or other) and its 5xoptical zoom, I think the ISO can go up to 6400 or something like that.

My problem is that at gigs my pics are often really bad, dark, out of focus etc (especially if I try to zoom in).

also if I take pix with artificial lighting they seem kinda yelowy when you zoom in on them, even after they on on the pc and also kinda fuzzy and not as sharp as I would like them to be.

This is driving me nuts I don't know if I sould replace my camera, I am not good with teccy stuff (even though I sitll have some really good but old fashioned now SLR cameras with zoom lenses etc in my loft) also have a fab minolta and a pentax but all non digital and of course its all digi now and I love the convenience of digi just the quality at the lower cheaper ends I find often sucks. or is it just me lol, I keep thinking I have pressed some setting to alter it but I dont know what.

Beautiful colors!:wub2:

Thanks!:thumb_yello:

This one was taken with a compact camera.

After reading a book about macro photography I forgot a little bit the a ideia of buying a macro lens. Of course I would love to have one, but they're very expensive and you can do such lovely experiences with some acessories too.:wink2:

I have a piece to reverse lenses, some extense tube and a below!:teehee:

By compact camera do you mean a regular point and shoot?

I absolutely LOVE macro photography. It's the style that I prefer to shoot. I haven't even looked up how much macro lenses will cost because I'm not ready to pick my jaw up off the floor. :naughty: I know they're expensive. Also I haven't figured out which I want first, a macro lens or one more suitable for taking portraits.

I don't think I've heard of a reverse lens yet and the extense tube. What do they do? I have used bellows before... those were on the cameras that we used to do commercial table top photos.

can anyone advise me on here if there is something wrong with my camer or is it me, I have a Pentax optio (something or other) and its 5xoptical zoom, I think the ISO can go up to 6400 or something like that.

My problem is that at gigs my pics are often really bad, dark, out of focus etc (especially if I try to zoom in).

also if I take pix with artificial lighting they seem kinda yelowy when you zoom in on them, even after they on on the pc and also kinda fuzzy and not as sharp as I would like them to be.

This is driving me nuts I don't know if I sould replace my camera, I am not good with teccy stuff (even though I sitll have some really good but old fashioned now SLR cameras with zoom lenses etc in my loft) also have a fab minolta and a pentax but all non digital and of course its all digi now and I love the convenience of digi just the quality at the lower cheaper ends I find often sucks. or is it just me lol, I keep thinking I have pressed some setting to alter it but I dont know what.

Okay this is going to be LOOONG and forgive me if I have a hard time with the technical stuff. You can teach me to use a camera, lights and all that jazz but teach me the technical workings and that's a little harder. Some photographers get it, others like me have a harder time grasping it.... if anyone can explain it better than I can please do!

First off I want to start with the point blank then explain... the next gig you go to try a couple shots with the flash then if they're terribly dark and makes the artist look like some monster with red eyes coming out of the pitch black turn the flash off. Take a few without the flash then mess around with the ISO.

Now I'll explain.

Honestly, I've found that point and shoot cameras SUCK SUCK SUCK at gigs unless if you're super close. I would LOVE to bring in my professional camera to get great snaps but they don't allow that due to the fact that people would bring pro cameras then try to sell the pictures of the artist after.

What I do now at concerts is I turn the flash off. There honestly is no need for it unless if you're up in the artists face or if it's continuously well lit. The flash is small and doesn't have enough power to go all the way to the artist (granted the artist can still see the flash) so that is why when you look at the photo after you've got a well lit shot of the crowd and not the artist.

So turn off the flash. It's still a challenge to get photos because the lighting at gigs changes so fast that when the artist is well lit and you snap the shutter the lighting has already changed so be prepared to get some nice blurry images. Sometimes the shutter will stay open for a longer period of time trying to get an exposure and when that happens I shut it off or pop the battery out. It's a pain.

Bump up the ISO. I wouldn't bump it up to the highest it can go though because when you look at the screen you may think you got a great shot but when you put it on the computer you won't be able to stand seeing it large because it'll be way too grainy. So far the only camera that I found where you can bump the ISO practically all the way without it being grainy is my Canon 5D Mark II. When playing around with the ISO try bumping it up each shot to see where it looks the best.

The last concert I went to I first had the flash on and I was getting dark horrible photos. I turned the flash off then played around with the ISO. I was maybe 18ish seats back. The photos look okay and if I print them out regular size they'll look okay but if you zoom into them they're horribly grainy. Eventually I need to buy another point and shoot since I wore mine out and it broke. I'm thinking of maybe buying one that's more for capturing sports because I think those might work better at concerts with all the movement.

Before you go to a gig try messing around taking photos in low lighting situations. That way you can play around with the ISO ahead of time and know how high you can bump it up before it gets TOO grainy.

As for things being yellowy it sounds like the white balance is off or something. I haven't had much of a problem with that with my point and shoots so I'm not sure if you can adjust the white balance on them or not. Plus if something comes out like that I fix it on the computer. Although now that I think about it, you said it was with artificial light. Were you using the flash too? Different lights give of different colors that have different temperatures. It's kind of hard to explain and I only briefly touched upon it in school so I'm not totally sure about all of it so here's a chart: http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/images/colour-temperature.gif

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the flash acts as an auto white balance. So see how on the chart household lights are yellowish? If there's no flash then that is probably why your photos are more yellow.

What are you taking photos of that come out yellowy and also fuzzy? The only thing I can think of for it to be fuzzy is it's a low lighting situation. Any camera will have a problem auto focusing if the light is too dim. Another thing, try pushing the shutter button down halfway. When I do that my camera will beep signaling that it is focused then without letting up on the button I just push it down all of the way. If you push down halfway and it focuses and then if you let up on the button most times it'll lose the focus so once you push down after it'll be blurry.

WHEW. I'm sorry that's so long and I hope most of it makes sense. One last thing that I thought of... I don't think I've ever kept the flash on at a gig AND tried bumping the ISO. My mind was trying to concentrate on the gig while I was trying to figure out my mom's camera really fast and didn't think to try the flash with a higher ISO. :doh: It might work, it might not.

Haha, here I go trying to add to the girl who's done a fricking amazing photography degree :naughty: But I have a lot of experience with taking gig pictures with a point and shoot. It depends on your camera a lot, some cameras are better at gig photos than others, even if they take worse photos generally. My friend's camera is much cheaper/worse than mine but it actually does capture the colours better at gigs for some reason.

Can you post an example of your bad photos?

You shouldn't use flash, basically. At gigs flash is only useful for taking pictures when the performers are moving a LOT and you just want to have a picture memory of it - but the photos dont look pretty (unless you make them black and white, they look nice then :naughty:)

Don't use iso at 6400, that would look gross, maybe try a photo at each setting one gig to see which is the highest your camera ca go before it looks gross. If it's really dark the highest I'll go on mine is 400, but it's best to keep it the lowest you can depending on the light.

My camera has an exposure adjusting thing, which I always put on the brightest setting for gigs. And depending on how much the person is moving, I put the shutter speed lower, but if they move basically at all this is useless because they are just a blur.

Is this yellow-ness at several different gigs or just one venue? The lights at different venues can be varying level of crap. I hate red lights most, it makes a red halo around the people and makes their whole face like one shade, which I've never figured out how to edit out completely, even with turning it black and white.

Wait for the lights to change to the most natural colour possible before taking pictures. And wait for the moments when the artist is doing a particularly quiet song and standing really still. Then if you really want to capture a bit where they are doing something exciting you can use flash. Without a proper camera it will just look crap otherwise.

And - take a lot of photos. Not sit there for the whole freaking gig snapping away, but if you want to take a picture at a particular angle of something, take like 5 in a row, because like 60% of gig photos end up useless anyway, you just have to take enough that some will look good.

By compact camera do you mean a regular point and shoot?

I absolutely LOVE macro photography. It's the style that I prefer to shoot. I haven't even looked up how much macro lenses will cost because I'm not ready to pick my jaw up off the floor. :naughty: I know they're expensive. Also I haven't figured out which I want first, a macro lens or one more suitable for taking portraits.

I don't think I've heard of a reverse lens yet and the extense tube. What do they do? I have used bellows before... those were on the cameras that we used to do commercial table top photos.

Yes a point and shoot camera. I have Canon A610, a little bit old but still works for me and actually make great macro photos, and I can't complaint on gigs too.:wink2:

A macro lens it's very expensive because you can only use for that, some of those lenses are really good for portraits too, but not all of them. I read on a photograph portuguese magazine about a new Tamron lenses that as the same quality as Canon or Nikon and it's good for macro and portrait and has a very convincing price.:teehee:

Like I said there are more stuff for you to experiment macro photography. I bought a ring for reverse my lenses (but you have to pay attention to the diameter of your lenses, it's the same as you want to buy a filter).

You can see on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Macro-Coupler-62-62mm-To-Reverse-Lens-Adapter-Ring_W0QQitemZ250503411704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item3a532ab7f8

With this you can't control the aperture, because the lenses aren't in contact with your camera, but with patient you can have good results.:thumb_yello: Try to reverse your lens and lean it to your camera and you'll see some results, like paper's texture, your own skin's texture, I don't know, plenty of things. But you don't have to buy this piece to see if it works, that piece just give you more freedom because you don't need to have your hand always in the lens. But honestly, sometimes I'm affraid of using the method of reversing lenses, because if you made a little scratch, your lens is dead.:blink:

You have another option, using an extensive tube.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Ring-Macro-Extension-Tube-for-Canon-400D-450D-350D-Ne_W0QQitemZ160367416355QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item2556a49423

Like you can see, the extensive tube can be divided in three pieces, you don't have to use all of them. The more you use, more details you can get, but the quality of your image will decrease.

I guess you have extensive tubes that can connect the lenses to the camera and you can control everything normally, but I'm not sure of this, I don't know if it's a myth!:teehee:

Now, imagine using a below, an extensive tube and a ring for reversing lenses at the same time.:naughty:

I hope you understand what I said. This was based on what I read and my personal experience.:thumb_yello:

i put most of my good stuff on myspace- i mainly shoot for local bands, but I do a lot of animal photography as well

http://www.myspace.com/newclearrainphoto

BTW PhotoJenic:

My current camera is a good quality P&S. They do run slower, but sometimes when you're either A. short like me, or B. bad venues and you're climbing on stuff to get a shot, they zoom well. Unless there's flash and you're closer, dark shots don't turn out as well. But if you know your camera, like I do, you can get decent photos that just need a little touch up (which I need a better program for... would love editing program recommendations)

I've talked to many photographers, one of them has even shot some photos of Iman and other important politicians at events, and we were talking about how the camera itself for the most part doesn't matter, but the quality of the image itself. Nice cameras do, of course, help.

I have a friend who's a 'professional' photographer, but she has no passion to her photography. She does it for the money and just uses her fast camera to take lots of shots and might get a couple of good ones out of 500+ depending on the band

Edited by havingablast

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, it's been a while! been caught up with school. Here's some recent prints:

(35mm)

IMG.jpg>

I really, REALLY like this one!!! wow!!!!! I love the ambiance of it, it looks like a old picture even if its new! So beautiful!!

oooh neat!

*in walks the know-nothing-about-photography girl- me...*

how did you do that?

it was around 1am, no lights except a small lantern. set the shutter speed really long so you can have time to move and "draw" all that. then you only light the lantern when you "write" :wink2:

i'm glad you like it :biggrin2:

• 3 weeks later...
it was around 1am, no lights except a small lantern. set the shutter speed really long so you can have time to move and "draw" all that. then you only light the lantern when you "write" :wink2:

i'm glad you like it :biggrin2:

that is very cool :) i need to try that to one day ;)