Prince O(+>

soulsalsa7

Just awesomeness....Prince 3-disc set will be @ Target on the 29th...of course I'll be on a cruise then but I can listen to it when I get back...:boat:

345,http%3A%2F%2Fd.yimg.com%2Fa%2Fp%2Fap%2F20090302%2Fcapt.dfd944d58d694e98ad00e73814daa3d2.music_prince_nyet879.jpg?v=2

NEW YORK – Prince is coming to a Target near you.

The superstar is releasing a three-disc CD set through the retailer at the end of this month. The set will include two new albums — "LOtUSFLOW3R" and "MPLSoUND" — as well as a third by his new artist, Bria Valente, for the price of $11.98.

Prince is just the latest music legend to release new music exclusively through a major retailer. AC/DC and the Eagles were among the acts who sold millions of CDs through their partnership with Wal-Mart.

Prince has released his recent CDs through major labels, but they were one-album deals that gave him the flexibility to go elsewhere when the project was done. Last fall, he released a coffee table book of photos titled "21 Nights" documenting his record-breaking, 21-night run at London's 02 Arena in 2007. The book also included a CD of live performances.

"Prince has long been renowned as one of the world's most original and iconic musical artists," said Mark Schindele, Target's senior vice president of merchandising. "We are thrilled to have the opportunity to share his most recent work with our Target guests."

The CD set will be on sale at Target and its Web site on March 29.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Article from Spinner explaining what some of his paid website will offer:

http://www.spinner.com/2009/03/02/prince-to-open-up-vaults-for-new-web-site/

Prince to Open Up Vaults for New Web Site

Ever wondered what it'd be like to reside in the head of Prince? Well, the Purple One's new Web site, LotusFlow3r.com, gives fans a glimpse and, as you'd imagine, it is mind-blowing. Spinner visited the office of the LotusFlow3r's developer, Scott Addison Clay, for a sneak preview of the intricate site, which was largely inspired by the popular video game Myst.

Like the game, LotusFlow3r offers an intricate maze of worlds to delve into, all with ridiculous 3-D graphics that conjure up some images of the classic animated film 'Heavy Metal.' And once into the Prince galaxy, the riches are numerous. For starters, fans will be able to hear and download all three of his 2009 new albums, 'LotusFlow3r,' 'MPLSound' -- which features online replicas of the Minneapolis skyline and Prince's favorite guitar, Sonny -- and 'Elixir,' a collaboration between Prince and his newest protegée, Bria Valente, prior to any physical release.

But the real treasure for Prince devotees is in the archive. According to Clay, Prince has filmed almost every one of his concerts since the 'Purple Rain' days, and to prove it, he had Spinner click on a video link inside Prince's virtual head, where we discovered a performance of 'Break It Down' from last year's Coachella show.

LotusFlow3r, which will launch sometime this month, will be a paid subscription site (Clay is speculating that the initial cost for a year will be $77), and to give fans their money's worth, Prince will continue to roll out content on a regular basis, including live video clips and possible full-length concerts, as well as unreleased music. According to Clay, Prince has copious amounts of never-issued material, which Clay and his team are in the process now of cataloging.

In essence, it's a true one-stop shop. This is not surprising, following the Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails paradigms of self-released music, which Clay says he talked about with Prince back in September at their first meeting. Clay has already had calls from other artists interested in following the example of LotusFlow3r, and he admits the Purple One is trying to entice some of his big-name friends into his galaxy.

Hahaha, I know before the site made the change, it was a nice look, but now I haven't been back unless I read something new as happened like if the eerie mood is gone, lol.

It reminds me of that interactive game Prince had, it was fun and vast but all of those dark hallways and similar thrillerish music traumatized me a bit. Again this is coming from someone who has retired of scary movies, I sleep so much better at night. :naughty:

But guess what I got in the mail 2day, a LotusFlow3r email. Of course I will be on a cruise the week of when his album drops. I suspect that a tour will make up for it though.

c018c773f5_95c55f698f_LF_eb_3_9_09.jpg

Prince had an interactive game?!

Is there anything that man didn't do? :bleh:

I could never give up on scary films, my problem is that I don't get scared as easy after seeing so many. Plus I love the thrill!

I've signed up but didn't get that e-mail, probably because I'm in the wrong part of the world for such events. lol

Ooh, enjoy your cruise! :groovy:

Prince had an interactive game?!

Is there anything that man didn't do? :bleh:

I could never give up on scary films, my problem is that I don't get scared as easy after seeing so many. Plus I love the thrill!

I've signed up but didn't get that e-mail, probably because I'm in the wrong part of the world for such events. lol

Ooh, enjoy your cruise! :groovy:

Indeed he did...I think you can still get it if you look around

I think he should come around to the other side of the world after he does his promo here in L.A.

I plan to be cruising well...just my luck, Prince's website will launch on March 24th so I can get in the site and pay the $77 and listen to the album then. I'm still going to Target to pick up a hard copy when I get back because sometimes old-fashioned things are just swell. :blush-anim-cl:

Here's the press release for the site launch...

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2009/03/16/more-info-on-princes-new-web-site-lotusflow3rcom/

the cover for "creep" by radiohead is awesome, the whole concert was from what i've seen...glad to know it will be released thru the site :cheerful_h4h:

Leno it is then...

• 4 weeks later...

A Prince Beats A King (Of Pop)

Posted Wed Apr 8, 2009 by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

Who would you say has amassed more top 10 albums, Prince or his one-time arch-rival, Michael Jackson? As of this week, the answer is Prince, and that's true even when you give Michael credit for albums he recorded with his brothers. LotusFlow3r, which enters The Billboard 200 at #2, is Prince's 14th top 10 album. Jackson has notched 13--seven on his own and six with the Jackson 5, later known as the Jacksons. Though Prince and Jackson have been considered rivals since the early ‘80s, Prince owes a big debt to Jackson's trailblazing. 1999 was released five weeks before Thriller, but it hit the top 10 only after Thriller had clocked a few months at #1--and, significantly, only after Jackson's mega-hits "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" broke down MTV's resistance to playing videos by black artists. 1999 ultimately logged 11 weeks in the top 10, no match for Thriller's 78 weeks, but enough to establish Prince as a star. Prince's follow-up, Purple Rain did far better than it would have had Thriller not paved the way. Purple Rain logged 24 consecutive weeks at #1, spawned five hit singles and brought Prince an Oscar and

three Grammys.

Edited by A. Clay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*sigh* I'm disappointed in myself for posting here more often. It's a thread devoted to my favorite guy for cryin' out loud!

I have purchased the new album, and I love it! He's gone back to funk and rock, and even covers the classic song "Crimson and Clover". It's only $11.98 for 3 CDs, so I highly recommend anyone living near a Target store go out and purchase it.

Prince's recent TV performances have been excellent! He rocked Jay Leno for 3 nights in March, and he performed on Ellen as well. Last month, he gave an amazing and insightful interview on the Tavis Smiley show, which I believe you can still view online at the PBS website. He talked about his childhood, being bullied, his parents, and what be looks for in his friendships. So, if you're interested in learning more about Prince as a person, definitely check out this interview! I'l seach for the link and post it for you all.

Edited by DaMango

WAY UP!!!!!!!!!

Prince is a genius!!!!! He deserves 2 b on top!!!!!!!

I can't stop listening 2 Lotusflower and MPLSoUND, they both have absolutely BRILLIANT songs (and I still haven't listened 2 Elixir :)

Prince deserves more credit...after all, he is the only living legend!!! (or do only people of an certain age think that...;)

Oh, and do u think Prince might b in2 Mika 2!!!!!

After all he is sucking a lollipop in the chocolatebox video...hint?

LOL! Prince has been sucking on lollipops since the early 90's. In fact, it seemed like he lived off them during the symbol years because he was so thin! In all honesty, P might not be that familiar with Mika. He said in a recent interview that he rarely listens to new music, except for the new music he writes anyway. But I still have a dream that they will work together one day... That would be too fabulous!

LOL I know was just attracting other people that haven't seen that video yet :)

Prince and Mika...hope I live 2 see, yes, that would b brilliant!!!!

Also...wondering how this forum will look like if Mika has lyrics like Prince has.....

Hmmm...there is always much discussion when Mika's lyrics are even slightly sexual. I can't imagine the reaction if he sang more Prince-like lyrics. :naughty: Scandal!

Prince has really cleaned up his act in recent years, but he is still very sexy. He doesn't need explicit lyrics, just the eyes and the attitude.

Here is the link Prince's recent interview on the Tavis Smiley show. It is really wonderful. He and Tavis are friends, so he is much more relaxed and open than he usually is in interviews. It's a real treat! This link will show you where to watch part one, which aired April 27th. Just click "watch full interview". After you watch part one, I'm pretty sure it gives you a link to part 2, which aired April 28th.

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200904/20090427.html

Hmmm...there is always much discussion when Mika's lyrics are even slightly sexual. I can't imagine the reaction if he sang more Prince-like lyrics. :naughty: Scandal!

Prince has really cleaned up his act in recent years, but he is still very sexy. He doesn't need explicit lyrics, just the eyes and the attitude.

:naughty: I can't imagine how funny that would be. If Lollipop is considered a shock shock me reation for Mika to sing, imagine Gett Off or something :roftl:

I noticed that too, I think it's probably because he is older and more mature maybe...

But I do really love his dirtier songs, they are really great songs in spite of what they are about. :naughty:

I'm thinking of getting the new album still, but considering that I'm still collecting his older ones it could be a while. :teehee:

Popping back in as the school semester's coming to an end...Yeah I feel bad to neglect this thread...

I think Prince has to be aware of Mika, plus didn't Mika attend some type of Prince event before...I think there are pictures of it too.

I like the fact that he has songs that cover all styles of music, even in their topics. I do prefer his 'search for deeper truth' songs cause they just uplift, cause for all that's bad in the world, there is that much more beauty to delve into. Not that I don't love those downright blue songs...since I'm a sucker for melancholy tunes, there can be beauty in sadness.

Anyways, I'm just waiting for a tour to start, in the meantime, check this oldie out. Not too old, but another fav Ellen interview...

http://www.imeem.com/people/JvJSWEJ/video/fyyL-MeS/prince-the-ellen-show-interview-2004-tv-video/

Here is the link Prince's recent interview on the Tavis Smiley show. It is really wonderful. He and Tavis are friends, so he is much more relaxed and open than he usually is in interviews. It's a real treat! This link will show you where to watch part one, which aired April 27th. Just click "watch full interview". After you watch part one, I'm pretty sure it gives you a link to part 2, which aired April 28th.

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200904/20090427.html

Thanks for that. That was one of the most decent interviews I've watched for a looong time and Prince is just great in it (and in general):thumb_yello: