Prince O(+>

soulsalsa7

Prince Lovers and Fams...this is the place 4 u... : )

:gathering:

d4b3837c.jpg

Since there is no thread dedicated to this musical genius, I decided I should create one for the eve of his 50th birthday(June 7th). The funky man is turning 50! He still looks good and most of all, still rolling out the awesome music!

So in honor of this strange-soulful-musical-creature-from-another-galaxy,

56d8fa47.jpg

Bon Anniversaire!

:fisch:In the beginning God made the sea

But on the 7th day he made me

He was tryin' to rest y'all when He heard the sound

Sound like a guitar cold gettin' down

I tried to bust a high note, but I bust a string

My God was worried 'til he heard me sing

My name is Prince and I am funky

My name is Prince the one and only:fisch:

~Welcome 2 the Dawn~ :wink2:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's quite a milestone turning 50, I just wish he had his birthday celebrations that lasted for a week in Minnesota! Oh well...

I will be off to a concert non-Prince related so I will celebrate that way... now leaving Funkytown...:punk:

Hey Girl! Thanks for starting this thread! I was planning on starting a Prince thread a long time ago, but alas, you beat me to it. LOL!

I can't even begin to say how much Prince Rogers Nelson means to me. Since becoming a fan in 1995, he has inspired me as a musician, and changed me as a person. I was planning to post something special for his 50th birthday, but I was away from home that day. I guess it's not too late. Tomorrow I'll post some of my thoughts and favorite pictures of my favorite man...

(For now, you can just enjoy my avatar and the photo in my signature. :wink2:)

I love that purpley picture and that's one of my favorite songs from my fav Prince movie "Under the Cherry Moon"

I don't know if I had quite the choice or not but I was raised on Prince music since I was born, kudos 2 my mother...I thought I was always his littlest fan...The two times that I have been up on stage were very surreal.

and I have yet been to a concert like Prince's where the fans are just feeding off other people's natural highs and vibes(all non-drug related), just dancing and being sorta of a like a family. I haven't been to a Mika concert yet but it sure sounds the same. :wink2:

• 2 months later...

Lately I've become completely obsessed with this man!

He is just so amazing!

I had to find this thread to get it all out!

PRINCE!!!!!!!:mf_lustslow:

you know what annoys me though, how he isn't on youtube...I only have one album and can't decide what else to get since I can't listen online first...

really though...doesn't anyone else care to join us??

• 3 months later...

jumping for joy

:roftl:...new prince music after almost a year and then some

and i'm liking it...his cover of Crimson & Clover, just awesome

This means a new album and tour in the near future...whoo hoo

if you want to listen to his 4 songs that debuted on an L.A. radio show, here's the link:

Prince - Indie 103.1 Radio

just scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the 12-18-08 show

Play that guitar Princey! :punk:

p.s. IMEEM.com has a wealth of P vids...look 4 the oprah interview

• 2 weeks later...

From the L.A. Times, Prince is really putting out 2 albums since 1 album is Bria Valente's...Nevertheless, I'm just estatic that new Prince music is coming plus a tour :roftl:

LA times: prince to release 3 albums 2009

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2008/12/visiting-with-p.html

Tuesday morning, I received the Golden Ticket of journalistic invitations: a summons to Prince's mansion, high atop Mulholland Drive, to hear the new music he'll be releasing sometime after the holidays. At 8 p.m. that evening, I drove my dirty Mazda past the fountain in his courtyard, parked by the limo in the back, and entered his manse. The man himself greeted me in a candelit study, where he was laboring over a laptop with his Web designers, Anthony Malzone and Scott Addison Clay.

The next five hours took me from that room to a car Prince referred to as "Miles Davis," where we listened to one set of songs; into a back room furnished with a round bed, faux-fur carpeting and a plexiglass Rhodes piano, where he played cuts by his new protege, the comely Bria Valente; and into that white limo, where the entirety of "Lotus Flower," the album previewed earlier this month on Indie 103.1, boomed through the speakers as we drove through Hollywood.

Needless to say, it was an amazing experience. After the jump, a few tidbits, including Prince's promise of three albums in 2009 and his thoughts on Proposition 8.

Prince will release not one, but three albums in the new year. He's in final negotiations with "a major retailer" to distribute the music in physical form, and a highly interactive website will also provide an opportunity to buy. He's not working with a record label. "The gatekeepers have to change," he said several times throughout the evening.

He's found his way back to the sound of "When Doves Cry." The first disc, tentatively titled "MPLSOUND," is an electro-flavored solo effort recorded at Paisley Park Studios. Prince experimented with Pro Tools and "new ways of recording" on these trippy, experimental pop songs. One features a Q-Tip rap; another calls a "Funky Congregation" to worship and may become a live set piece.

He's ready to revive the Quiet Storm. "We got sick of waiting for Sade to make a new album," he said, introducing Valente's new album, "Elixir." The tracks are chill, with Valente's buttery voice melding with beats by Morris Hayes and Prince's guitar lines. Some are explicitly sexual. "This music is nasty, but it's not dirty," Prince said, explaining how sensual music fits in with his much-discussed faith -- he's a Jehovah's Witness. "There's no profanity. It isn't promoting promiscuity. She's singing about her lover, who could be her partner for life."

He loves his guitar. As the tracks played on Indie 103.1 indicated, "Lotus Flower" is rooted in the instrument. Prince said he refocused on his playing while performing live dates with the singer Tamar Davis in 2006; with the spotlight trained on someone else, he could fall back in love with solos and riffs. "Lotus Flower" is a varied album, featuring cuts recorded over the course of two years, but standout tracks include some heavy rockers -- especially the apocalyptic "Dreamer," which Prince said was partly inspired by the radical black comedian Dick Gregory.

He did not vote for Proposition 8. In fact, he didn't vote at all. "I didn't vote for Obama either," he explained. "Jehovah's Witnesses haven't voted for their whole inception." The controversy over a recent New Yorker "Talk of the Town" item, which Prince feels implied he supported the gay-marriage ban, has upset him. It's the first thing he wanted to discuss when the Web geeks had gone and we were alone. "I have friends that are gay and we study the Bible together," he said. He added that two sides fighting "only benefit the third person" who instigated the fight.

Whoo hoo, more Prince fans...:punk:

Definitely hard to pick favs, but I'll try anyways...

*17 days

*Dolphin

*Holy River

*Mountains

*The beautiful ones

*Under the Cherry Moon

of course the entire 3 disc Emancipation album...best music of my childhood. :blush-anim-cl:

I bought Prince 21 nights book yesterday:blush-anim-cl:

I couldn't resist, it was so purple and gorgeous.

I can't pick a favourite since I still haven't even heard all his stuff. But right now I think it's "The Beautiful Ones" :wub2:

Oh and "If I was your Girlfriend" :blush-anim-cl:

Hehehe, I have only seen a few pictures of the book...it would only make sense to have hints of purple in it. Ditto on the beautiful ones, I love to imitate the facial expressions on that one from the movie, just priceless. :naughty:

But even better news...a new Prince website!...http://www.lotusflow3r.com:

lotusflow3r.jpg

It's coming along faster than I expected, still more than peachy tho. :bleh:

Hehehe, I have only seen a few pictures of the book...it would only make sense to have hints of purple in it. Ditto on the beautiful ones, I love to imitate the facial expressions on that one from the movie, just priceless. :naughty:

lotusflow3r.jpg

oh my half sister sara is a massive prince fan

I've got to say I'm not what you'd call a proper fan but i like some of his music for sure:punk:

my fave songs are:

my name is prince

controversy

strollin'

sexy mf

kiss

oh gosh there's a few more but my mind has gone blank atm lol:naughty:

lotusflow3r.jpg

I agree, love that song in Purple Rain, I love everything about that film actually:naughty:

The graphic artwork on that website! :mf_lustslow:

I'm really looking forward to newness, though I'm still slowly getting to listen to his classic purpleness. It's not easy though, really wish he was on youtube.

Yeah I understand about youtube, he does it for owning all his rights i guess...but luckily there's imeem.com. Search for Prince on the Oprah show, it's a great find. You can pretty much find any footage of him on Imeem.

Cool, thanks for that link :wink2:

I think I both hate it and like the fact that he isn't on youtube. It makes it more special when you hear a song by him that you didn't hear before then.

• 2 weeks later...

let the music begin

There has been speculation that Prince will perform 7 nights at the Nokia L.A. Live theater in Feburary sometime.

I recommend anyone who would like to attend to head to the website (new song too-Chocolate Box) and sign up for info...can only imagine how hard it would be to get tickets soon

To sign up:

*go to http://www.lotusflow3r.com/

*Just click on the ticket laying by the boombox & a purple ticket should appear stating January 31 2009 asking for ur email...

the giddness is pouring out of me now:roll1:, it's been a while since I've been fortunate enough to be partying at one of his concerts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Princely people...the new site is supposed to launch tonight, so be sure to visit it sometime soon...most likely concert info will be on there soon

here's the link to the article confirming this info plus purple partyness galore where I won't be :thumbdown:

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2009/01/31/princes-new-website-to-be-unveiled-tonight/

• 4 weeks later...

Want to go to Prince's Post-Oscar Party? You Can for $100

http://laist.com/2009/02/22/want_to_go_to_princes_postoscar_pa.php

PRINCE BREAKS OUT BEATLES, ROLLING STONES AT OSCAR PARTY

2/23/09, 12:34 EST

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/02/23/prince-breaks-out-beatles-rolling-stones-at-oscar-party/

Feb 19, 2009

PRINCE FILMING OSCAR PARTY FOR lotusflow3r.com

Prince to allow crew to film his Oscar party

Purple One will release footage on his new website

Prince is throwing a massive Oscar party on Sunday night (February 22),

and he is allowing a camera crew to film the festivities for his website.

The notoriously reclusive Purple One reportedly decided to throw the bash after French actress Marion Cotillard called to RSVP to a party he was supposedly throwing. Apparently when Prince heard he was rumoured to be hosting the party, he decided to make if official and planned a bash.

http://www.nme.com/news/prince/42889

prince.jpg

According to usmagazine, Prince will release the

footage from the party on his . . .

PRINCE WEB SITE--

http://www.lotusflow3r.com/

PRINCE DEDICATES MIDNIGHT SHOW TO OSCAR WINNER CRUZ

24/02/2009 - 10:16:49

Prince ditched his post-Oscars bash at his Hollywood Hills home for a show at Hollywood's Avalon Ballroom.

Fans and famous friends paid $100 (€78)-a-head to join the Purple Rain hitmaker at his Sunday midnight party, which doubled as the launch for his new website LotusFlow3r.com.

Prince dedicated his two-hour set to Oscar winner Penelope Cruz and performed a string of hits and covers from upcoming releases, including The Cars 'Let's Go' and 'Crimson & Clover', a chart-topper for Tommy James and the Shondells.

Oscars attendees Alicia Keys, Queen Latifah and nominee Taraji P. Henson were among the audience.

Announcing: "I'm the DJ tonight," Prince also played covers of the Beatles’ 'Come Together' and the Rolling Stones’ 'Honky Tonk Woman' as well as chart classics 'Jungle Love' and 'Play That Funky Music'.

He ended the show with an encore of 'I Feel For You' at almost 3.30am.

Edited by A. Clay

prince-photo-xxl-prince-6215516-thumbnail2.jpg

2 days ago: HOLLYWOOD - FEBRUARY 22: **EXCLUSIVE**

Musician Prince performs onstage at "The Purple Party"

for LotusFlow3r.com held at Avalon on February 22, 2009

in Hollywood, California.

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0g3k8lMde0aFl/PRINCE_at_the_purple_party

2 days ago: LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 22: MIKA attends Prince's

"The Purple Party" at The Avalon on February 22, 2009 in Los Angeles, California.

http://www.daylife.com/photo/06Zz6Tlc5J5ch/PRINCE_at_the_purple_party

MAIN-

http://www.daylife.com/search/photos/all/1?q=PRINCE+at+the+purple+party

Edited by A. Clay

Thanks for posting all those news bits, it would have been too much work for me right now...:naughty:

Man I could've went to see Prince & Mika...oh well I need all the sleep I can get! I love the fact that in the picture of Mika arriving, you can see the purple Prince symbol...