DaWack/Mika's Artwork copied

Fmbm

I went to Borders today and was surprised to see this intriguing set of stationary by the door on my way out:

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

(Even the name of it is slightly similar to "Life in Cartoon Motion".....it's sort of hard to read, but it says "Alum Slip In Cartoon Stripe")

Looks like they're stealing Dawack/Mika's ideas from LICM..:thumbdown:

For those of you who have Jerry's email address, please let him know. I've already sent Mika a message on Myspace letting him know.:wink2:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I BOUGHT THAT!! when i saw it i was like :shocked:i have to get it. so i did!:naughty: i know...i thougt the same thing when i saw it!

I was going to, but then that would contradict this whole thread :naughty:

Paperchase is a stationery chain in the UK. There are dozens of these stores in London alone. This is probably not news to Mika.

Well if he didn't know already, he knows now.

Makes you wonder how far you can copyright stripes and concentric coloured circles. What's to say it wasn't the other way round...Mika saw the name of the album and altered it to his album? (I don't think so, but how could we ever know)

Makes you wonder how far you can copyright stripes and concentric coloured circles. What's to say it wasn't the other way round...Mika saw the name of the album and altered it to his album? (I don't think so, but how could we ever know)

That idea crossed my mind as well.

I used to be a freelance illustrator... unfortunately "borrowing" styles is extremely common with illustration. It's very frustrating, but it's also very difficult to pursue in court. Intellectual property law and copyright law is very tricky, and becoming trickier now that everything is available online - lines are getting blurred.

Sadly, just using a similar style - like this - would really get absolutely nowhere in court. Generally speaking the only thing you could be successful with is if both the concept and execution are nearly identical, ie, the person has basically drawn the same picture. I don't think that's the case here, even though the circles are the same... and let's not forget that DaWack's illustrations are heavily influenced by 60's and 70's cartoons. There's probably an illustrator out there who is cursing her too.

That said, I do think it's very important for artists to do something about it when they see their work has been copied - it makes me so angry to see it happen. The other recent thread is a better example I think, as there are so many elements that have come straight from the album cover.

The one saving grace is that you're more likely to be successful in court if you have a lot of money to back a lawyer with, and they've got that.

Have we considered the possibility that DaWack was paid for allowing her partial design work to be used and renamed? I don't know...

Ironically enough, Mika gave an exclusive performance and signing in the New York Borders store last March 2007. http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62859&postcount=54

And if I remember correctly, a few MFCers boasted purchasing LICM style stationary at the same store.