Freddies English Teaching Course

Please explain me the difference between Sir and Sire! Is it how kings are called? And what is the story about Mika? Enlighten me please!

I would say sire is the old english world for Sir .... not used much now

Soon people of questionable mental stablity would call him sire:wink2:

Edited by FREDDIESDOUBLE

Thank you! And how it pronounces?

Wow, these words are kinda hard to explain the pronunciation of.

Sir- sounds similar to the french word "sur" (at least to me) but more so like "ser".

Sire- I'd describe this one as sounding like "sigh-er" or "sI-er" where the "I" is pronounced like the letter.

Hope that helps.

Edited by saint_tails_09

Can someone help me please?:pinkbow:

What is the difference between Skit and Sketch ?

Is it two different things or the same thing with different names?

Skit and sketch mean the same thing if their used in the same context. Like your could call it a comedy skit or a comedy sketch, and they both mean the same thing.

But the word sketch also has a different meaning. Sketch can be a quick/rough drawing. Like if you wanted to have a rough idea of what you were drawing, before you sit down and spend the time to do it right.

I know in math class, when we only want a rough idea of what something is going to look like, we Sketch it out.

Skit and sketch mean the same thing if their used in the same context. Like your could call it a comedy skit or a comedy sketch, and they both mean the same thing.

But the word sketch also has a different meaning. Sketch can be a quick/rough drawing. Like if you wanted to have a rough idea of what you were drawing, before you sit down and spend the time to do it right.

I know in math class, when we only want a rough idea of what something is going to look like, we Sketch it out.

Ahhhhhh thank you :pinkbow:

I feel like I should have known that :naughty:

Ignore the stupid english girl :roftl:

I would say sire is the old english world for Sir .... not used much now

Soon people of questionable mental stablity would call him sire:wink2:

Yep, such as John, his manager.

Sire (Sir) was actually the word used to address a King (a superior in general) in the past. We've got the same word in Italian, because it comes from Latin. I think the modern form is "His/Her/Your Majesty".

When John calls Mika "Sire" in the PDP DVD, I think he meant "Your Majesty". :wub2:

Because he was late as usual. :mf_rosetinted:

Caz that Will Young thing is about the funniest thing I ever saw- why did I think I could watch it while drinking a glass of wine? I wouldn't say Will Young was camp on it though.

I think the "will my makeup come off?" comment was a bit camp lol :naughty:

Wow, these words are kinda hard to explain the pronunciation of.

Sir- sounds similar to the french word "sur" (at least to me) but more so like "ser".

Sire- I'd describe this one as sounding like "sigh-er" or "sI-er" where the "I" is pronounced like the letter.

Hope that helps.

You explained absolutely clearly, thank you so much! It helped :bow:

Yep, such as John, his manager.

Sire (Sir) was actually the word used to address a King (a superior in general) in the past. We've got the same word in Italian, because it comes from Latin. I think the modern form is "His/Her/Your Majesty".

When John calls Mika "Sire" in the PDP DVD, I think he meant "Your Majesty".

Because he was late as usual.

:flowers2:

Thank you! And how it pronounced?

Sir rhymes with purr, ser and sur as has been said, sire has the long vowel phoneme 'I' because of the 'e' at the end, rhyming with hire spire fire.

I call my husband 'sir' when I'm talking about him - to allude to him being the boss (yeah, right!) and because he's a teacher so he gets called it all day long.

Can someone help me please?:pinkbow:

What is the difference between Skit and Sketch ?

Is it two different things or the same thing with different names?

Also explained before, but I'd add something about a skit being more specifically an impersonation of someone - like pupils doing skits of their teachers. I think.