Freddies English Teaching Course

I find that most of the non-natives who are worried about their English often write better than some natives. :wub2:

Sienna, I'd wager that your English - written English at least - is better than that of my Canadian born parents. Fact. :roftl:

Exactly! I always thought you were british, sienna, you seem so natural at speaking english!

I find it quite amazing you said all that, because this is probably THE most fluent post you've ever made. Seriously.

So...you missed my long causerie...I started a thread trying to be funny but it didn't really took of! As usual!:naughty:

I find that most of the non-natives who are worried about their English often write better than some natives. :wub2:

Sienna, I'd wager that your English - written English at least - is better than that of my Canadian born parents. Fact. :roftl:

Thank you for the compliment!:wub2:

We have to put a little more thoughts into what we post, well, most of the time.

What I miss, writing in a foreign language, is the ability to play around and have as many options as I'm used to in Swedish. But I'm striving on!:biggrin2:

Sometimes I get it right, sometimes not....:teehee:

It would be interesting to hear from you other not-native-English-speaking members what you think are the hardest things with the English when you are posting and reading on the MFC and when you meet people in real life and have to speak English.

To me, in here I always feel insecure about the value of words, when you know what a words means in translation but don't really know how it's used to get the right significance of a sentence. You don't want it to sound old fashioned or too solemn or too simple, it's really tricky.

Spelling...there are so many letters in the English language that are not pronounced.

I'm always worried that people are making jokes that I don't get, and it happens all the time and I feel so stupid when I have to ask!:blush-anim-cl:

When I meet people in real life it's hard when they talk fast, and many of them do, but the good thing is that you can see their faces and it makes it so much easier of course.:wink2:

To me, it's not that hard.. Writing English is so much easier to me than writing Dutch. In English there are so many more words, with really powerful meanings, than in Dutch. In Dutch I really don't know how to express myself, how to say how I really feel, for example. English just.. comes to me. When I write or speak English, I don't think about the translation to Dutch. I don't just write or speak in English, I also think in English.

For the spelling.. Yes, of course I make mistakes every now and then. But I also do that in Dutch. It's no big deal. If people still understand what I wanted to say and maybe even correct me, that's fine. I like to be corrected, so I can learn the right way to say something for next time.

It would be interesting to hear from you other not-native-English-speaking members what you think are the hardest things with the English when you are posting and reading on the MFC and when you meet people in real life and have to speak English.

To me, in here I always feel insecure about the value of words, when you know what a words means in translation but don't really know how it's used to get the right significance of a sentence. You don't want it to sound old fashioned or too solemn or too simple, it's really tricky.

Spelling...there are so many letters in the English language that are not pronounced.

I'm always worried that people are making jokes that I don't get, and it happens all the time and I feel so stupid when I have to ask!:blush-anim-cl:

When I meet people in real life it's hard when they talk fast, and many of them do, but the good thing is that you can see their faces and it makes it so much easier of course.:wink2:

Sienna, that's all very true about English and I know what you mean about the value of words. I think the words that are 'in' change so quickly.

But as for letters you don't pronounce, I don't think anything can beat French. All those unsounded letters! Phew!!

The thing that shocks me when I meet you (you non-English speakers) is that you speak English with foreign accents. You write so well, that I read it in an English voice so that surprises me. Sara particuarly.

To me, it's not that hard.. Writing English is so much easier to me than writing Dutch. In English there are so many more words, with really powerful meanings, than in Dutch. In Dutch I really don't know how to express myself, how to say how I really feel, for example. English just.. comes to me. When I write or speak English, I don't think about the translation to Dutch. I don't just write or speak in English, I also think in English.

For the spelling.. Yes, of course I make mistakes every now and then. But I also do that in Dutch. It's no big deal. If people still understand what I wanted to say and maybe even correct me, that's fine. I like to be corrected, so I can learn the right way to say something for next time.

It's nice to hear that English is good to expess yourself in. It is meant to be one of the strengths of the language, but it's nice to hear that you find it so.

Exactly! I always thought you were british, sienna, you seem so natural at speaking english!

Wow, thank you!:wub2:

Really? But was your first language then?

It sounds fantastic.:thumb_yello:

English is a very big language, it has more words than most languages in the world. I don't think it's a coincident that so many great writers through the history are British.

Sienna, that's all very true about English and I know what you mean about the value of words. I think the words that are 'in' change so quickly.

But as for letters you don't pronounce, I don't think anything can beat French. All those unsounded letters! Phew!!

The thing that shocks me when I meet you (you non-English speakers) is that you speak English with foreign accents. You write so well, that I read it in an English voice so that surprises me. Sara particuarly.

Yes French is really difficult to spell, and pronounce. I agree.

About accents, I read somewhere that to not have an accent you have to learn a language fluently before the age of six or seven.

I don't know if it's completely true but it sounds likely to me.:wink2:

Really? But was your first language then?

It sounds fantastic.:thumb_yello:

English is a very big language, it has more words than most languages in the world. I don't think it's a coincident that so many great writers through the history are British.

My first language is Dutch. I was born here in the Netherlands in the same small town I've been in for fourteen years and still am in. :teehee:

That English has got so many words is one of the reasons I love it. There's almost always a word to say what you want to say. :wub2:

I always afraid of the slang or vulgar meaning of a word. Sometimes it seems to be a common normal word, and after a while I get to know that there is a "bad" meaning. And since that moment I'm afraid of using this word. You'll never guess howsome minds will interpret what you're saying :(

I know exactly what you mean about English being so much easier to express yourself in than Dutch (I live in Belgium, Dutch is my first language)! I tend to be talking to someone and think of an English word to express how I feel, and having to think so hard to find the right word in Dutch! :blink:

I am horrible at spelling though, so I'm sure I make many mistakes along the way (like writing a completely different word that just sounds the same), but I assume most people get what I mean! :teehee:

I'm better in understanding English than actually speaking it (which is very normal, I suppose). Sometimes I find myself looking at an English movie, and someone comes in and says "hey, where are the subtitles??", while I didn't even notice for a moment that they were gone!

It might be different in the Netherlands, but here in Belgium, which is such a small country, there are no less than 3 different languages (French, Dutch and German). So with so little people around us speaking Dutch, we learn very young that it's a good idea for us to learn different languages. Besides, who understands Dutch when you go to another country, or even sometimes to the French part of Belgium! :biggrin2:

Did you know even the Dutch language in Belgium (Flemish) has different words and sayings than in the Netherlands, and the pronunciation is not the same either? I tend to compare it with British English and American English, though I wouldn't know who would be who. :dunno:

It might be different in the Netherlands, but here in Belgium, which is such a small country, there are no less than 3 different languages (French, Dutch and German). So with so little people around us speaking Dutch, we learn very young that it's a good idea for us to learn different languages. Besides, who understands Dutch when you go to another country, or even sometimes to the French part of Belgium! :biggrin2:

Did you know even the Dutch language in Belgium (Flemish) has different words and sayings than in the Netherlands, and the pronunciation is not the same either? I tend to compare it with British English and American English, though I wouldn't know who would be who. :dunno:

The variations in Dutch fascinate me. If money were no object I'd move to the Netherlands or Flanders and get some sort of advanced linguistics degree while studying the subtle nuances between the different regional variations of Dutch.

When I was in Amsterdam last summer I loved listening to the local MFCers speak Dutch. I found that if I focused really hard I could usually understand about 30% of what was being said. This was a huge thing for me, as I'd never heard spoken Dutch before in my life. :wub2:

I also love the accent Dutch speakers have when speaking English. :biggrin2:

Here in the Netherlands we have just Dutch, but at school we learn English, French and German.

I think Flemish sounds really funny. :teehee: I can understand it though.

I always afraid of the slang or vulgar meaning of a word. Sometimes it seems to be a common normal word, and after a while I get to know that there is a "bad" meaning. And since that moment I'm afraid of using this word. You'll never guess howsome minds will interpret what you're saying :(

I shouldn't worry - I should think practically every word in English can be interpreted in a "bad" way if you're that way inclined :naughty:. A lot of English humour relies on the fact that words have double meanings :teehee:

I shouldn't worry - I should think practically every word in English can be interpreted in a "bad" way if you're that way inclined :naughty:. A lot of English humour relies on the fact that words have double meanings :teehee:

Well, it is those who misinterpret and pervert my words are ill-mannered, aren't they?

Well, it is those who misinterpret and pervert my words are ill-mannered, aren't they?

:dunno: Not necessarily ill-mannered - they might just be trying to make a joke. But if you're not sure about what someone means, just post it on my wall or PM me (or ask in this thread).:biggrin2: