The Mika Music Masterclass!

How well can you perform Mika's music?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How well can you perform Mika's music?

• I can't play/sing a note but I'm eager to learn
    • I'm still learning but think I could manage a couple of songs from LICM
    • I already sang/played an instrument so I'm finding it enjoyable to pick up Mika's stuff
    • I'm actually amazed he didn't invite me to go on tour with him...

OK, there seems to be a lot of us on here who are trying to get to grips with playing Mika's music or singing his songs so I thought I'd open a Masterclass where those who are further along the evolutionary scale when it comes to nailing the tunes (either on instruments or with their voice) can share their advice and tips with the novices.

I'm learning the keyboards and having singing lessons just now so am trying to learn Mika's stuff as part of them. I've just started on Happy Ending last week.

What's everyone else upto?

**UPDATE**

I'm sorry about the spelling mistakes in the poll........but I can't see how to edit it! Anyone know??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I learned basically all of Mika's songs by ear and Youtube videos...I could never find his sheet music book anywhere so I just used my ear, which is usually more correct than what's written on the paper.

What exactly do you need help with?

LOL!

Where do I start!:roftl::roftl::roftl:

I think I'll have my lesson tomorrow night then come on here with some questions for you.

I'm struggling with the concept of playing with two hands at the moment!

I start playing with one hand and then when I start using the other one I realise I've stopped playing with the first!

Do you play the piano? If so, was Mika's stuff hard to pick up compared to other music?

well i can play over my shoulder...any other world...everybody's talking...beginning of ring ring...and beginning of stuck in the middle....i think that's it. :bleh:

i find his sheet music confussing and not really true. because it is written not how he plays it in the songs but as if you're following a singer:thumbdown:. and also some of the songs are written half a step higher than the actual song maybe because the original is in a harder key:huh: so....

i mostly just learn by playing and pausing my ipod in front of the piano:bleh: it seems to work best for me:thumb_yello:

Hmmmm....playing by ear seems to be the way to go.

My teacher printed off the lyrics to Happy Ending with the chords written over the words but they are in a different order to those (for the guitar) on the sheet music.

I'm using that........the sheet music and trying to listen to what's happening on the cd to get to produce something that sounds vaguely like Mika!!

Who knows........in 3 years I may have cracked it! :naughty:

Hmmmm....playing by ear seems to be the way to go.

My teacher printed off the lyrics to Happy Ending with the chords written over the words but they are in a different order to those (for the guitar) on the sheet music.

I'm using that........the sheet music and trying to listen to what's happening on the cd to get to produce something that sounds vaguely like Mika!!

Who knows........in 3 years I may have cracked it! :naughty:

and by then he'll already have another cd paino book for you to start all over!:naughty:

LOL!

Where do I start!:roftl::roftl::roftl:

I think I'll have my lesson tomorrow night then come on here with some questions for you.

I'm struggling with the concept of playing with two hands at the moment!

I start playing with one hand and then when I start using the other one I realise I've stopped playing with the first!

Do you play the piano? If so, was Mika's stuff hard to pick up compared to other music?

Oh I use to have that problem too :naughty:. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it:thumb_yello:

Yes I play, for almost 2 years now.

Mika's stuff was actually really easy to pick up on :naughty: Thank God.

His songs are pretty easy to disect by ear so yeah.:bleh:

Oh I use to have that problem too :naughty:. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it:thumb_yello:

I'll hold you to that! :naughty:

i've been playing for 9 years and found his stuff awfully difficult!:roftl::roftl:

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

There's no hope for me!!!!!!!!

:roftl:oh no i didn't mean to scare you!

i didn't really practise until this year:blush-anim-cl: my first 8 years i never praticed and really stunk at paino...

but once i found mika i fell in love with the piano again and hope to pursue it in college...see how mika changes people's lives:naughty:

that's the difference..me i was forced to learn, but if you really want to learn and enjoy it...now that's different and you'll learn much quicker:thumb_yello:

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

There's no hope for me!!!!!!!!

Don't say that! :sneaky2: Of there's hope. All you have to do is practice:wink2:

Each person is different....I happened to understand piano quicker that most people...for some people it takes longer, but eventually you get it and it sticks with you:thumb_yello:

I picked the last option :naughty:

I mean come on....I could kick Sunshine's ass:lol3:

I knew someone would! :naughty::naughty:

Had my second piano lesson tonight and played with both hands.....but only the same chords, not chords and melody.....but I felt I achieved lots.

Have come home and played for an hour and a half and now my hnads are throbbing. The sides of my thumbs are red too as I'm only just hitting the keys with them due to having stubby fingers! :roftl:

My teacher confirmed what's already been discussed about the sheet music being rubbish in terms of what Meeks actually plays!

I'm really impressed- I've been meaning to get round to playing keyboard for ages but never got round to it. I used to be good at reading music, but it never ocurred to anyone that you could play by ear or even make up your own tunes

But if you can all stick at it... I WILL start with the tapes I bought... I will... soon...

I knew someone would! :naughty::naughty:

Had my second piano lesson tonight and played with both hands.....but only the same chords, not chords and melody.....but I felt I achieved lots.

Have come home and played for an hour and a half and now my hnads are throbbing. The sides of my thumbs are red too as I'm only just hitting the keys with them due to having stubby fingers! :roftl:

My teacher confirmed what's already been discussed about the sheet music being rubbish in terms of what Meeks actually plays!

Well that's good. You seem to be progressing!:thumb_yello:

I'm sorry that your fingers hurt though...that's strange :naughty:

• 4 weeks later...