Yearbook: LAYOUT DESIGN TEAMS!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oooh yeah, that's something we need to decide.. what values are you quoting them in - pixels or inches? we should decide on one. but do you think inconsistent margins will be a problem?

Let's do one inch margins. That sounds like a lot, but the way the book is printed we need to account for content bleeds to ensure nothing gets trimmed off in the printing process.

In terms of design, let's try to loosely base our "flavour" on Mika's new art that surfaced around PDP - the same "feel" as the clown with the shoe in my siggy. Still bright, but bolder than the original colours used in LICM artwork. Make sense?

And I'm strongly voting against page numbers. With so many "cooks in the kitchen" in terms of layout, organizing page numbers is a giant pain that we just don't need. And we didn't have them last year, and Meeks didn't mind. :wink2:

Besides, Mika's going to flip through it page-by-page anyhow, he doesn't need page numbers. :wub2:

Any layout questions, post 'em here - or PM me, or email me. :thumb_yello:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

Let's do one inch margins. That sounds like a lot, but the way the book is printed we need to account for content bleeds to ensure nothing gets trimmed off in the printing process.

In terms of design, let's try to loosely base our "flavour" on Mika's new art that surfaced around PDP - the same "feel" as the clown with the shoe in my siggy. Still bright, but bolder than the original colours used in LICM artwork. Make sense?

And I'm strongly voting against page numbers. With so many "cooks in the kitchen" in terms of layout, organizing page numbers is a giant pain that we just don't need. And we didn't have them last year, and Meeks didn't mind. :wink2:

Besides, Mika's going to flip through it page-by-page anyhow, he doesn't need page numbers. :wub2:

Any layout questions, post 'em here - or PM me, or email me.

Oh great, I'll email a couple of my layouts cuz I'm not sure theyre "okay":bleh:

And I'll try to add some of that clownyshoey stuff:thumb_yello:

I love the tumbling clown idea...brill.:thumb_yello:

So, tumbling clown....in or out??? :blink:

I'd happily have a go anyway should we be able to pull it together once the layout is done but if it's a definite no-no then I won't bother.

Also, some while back Melenie mentioned a warholesque page for the art section and I'd started gathering stuff to make it if that would still be needed.

I'd happily have a go anyway should we be able to pull it together once the layout is done but if it's a definite no-no then I won't bother.

Also, some while back Melenie mentioned a warholesque page for the art section and I'd started gathering stuff to make it if that would still be needed.

Feel free to email kate about the warhol idea...I don't know how far she's gotten. Also, remind me to add your name to the list of layout editors...that is if you do find a way to help out, it would be much appreciated...even if it is a little something with a tumbling clown... I may be able to work that into my design concept which is really really simple...so I actually think that would be really cute... do you know anyone who can draw a little clown dude?:naughty:

i have a problem!

i can't seem to receive files through the sharing folders function on MSN - i can't find it actually! i downloaded the latest messenger already, but i still can't find the option!

help? :\

hmmm, yeah some people had that problem, but most were able to update their msn and view the sharing folder. If it doesn't work out, just have your partners email you the stories as attachments:thumb_yello:

Feel free to email kate about the warhol idea...I don't know how far she's gotten. Also, remind me to add your name to the list of layout editors...that is if you do find a way to help out, it would be much appreciated...even if it is a little something with a tumbling clown... I may be able to work that into my design concept which is really really simple...so I actually think that would be really cute... do you know anyone who can draw a little clown dude?:naughty:

Oh, I was going to draw him myself!!! :naughty:

hmmm, yeah some people had that problem, but most were able to update their msn and view the sharing folder. If it doesn't work out, just have your partners email you the stories as attachments:thumb_yello:

If it's just my files...let me know and I'll send them by email. :thumb_yello:

If it's just my files...let me know and I'll send them by email. :thumb_yello:

alright, thanks! :D

The problem with using a tumbling clown for page numbers is that, with so many people designing these pages, it'd be nearly impossible to keep it consistent throughout the entire book. And it would make it truly impossible to do any last minute page insertions or deletions.

It's really not something that would work well with the piecemeal approach we take to this book. And while it is a brilliant idea, it's one of those things that can look really shoddy and half a*sed if it's not absolutely perfect. Not to say, of course, that there's anything wrong with what you'd create; it's about the nature of how the book is put together.

Hope that makes sense!

i have a problem!

i can't seem to receive files through the sharing folders function on MSN - i can't find it actually! i downloaded the latest messenger already, but i still can't find the option!

help? :\

Right-click on your contacts name, and choose "Create sharing folder." If your contact already created a folder, it will say "Open your sharing folder."

Best of luck!

Right-click on your contacts name, and choose "Create sharing folder." If your contact already created a folder, it will say "Open your sharing folder."

Best of luck!

but the messenger i have don't seem to have that function :( and i updated it to the latest version already, so i think it's some problem with the messenger software

Okay, so here's the thing. I'm not sure if this is alright for the layout of the HMCML section. I made them in photoshop CS4 instead of word so I wanted to ask before I made all of them.

And they're not compleatly finished. I'm gonna add more clowny stuff:bleh:

Clare.jpg

Daniella92.jpg

agnieszka.jpg

bonzaboy.jpg

evii.jpg

The problem with using a tumbling clown for page numbers is that, with so many people designing these pages, it'd be nearly impossible to keep it consistent throughout the entire book. And it would make it truly impossible to do any last minute page insertions or deletions.

It's really not something that would work well with the piecemeal approach we take to this book. And while it is a brilliant idea, it's one of those things that can look really shoddy and half a*sed if it's not absolutely perfect. Not to say, of course, that there's anything wrong with what you'd create; it's about the nature of how the book is put together.

Hope that makes sense!

Best of luck!

Well see I think we can incoorperate the clown not as a page number but for just the messages section... have him go along the sides of the pages. Because as of now, I have no design scheme other than a little bit of color in the boxes I'm putting around pictures and some headlines. I think adding the little guy would add something fun, atleast for those 100 and something pages :-)

How many pages in total will this be peeps <just curious>

At the least, 400 pages. It'll be double last years for sure:thumb_yello:

Okay, so here's the thing. I'm not sure if this is alright for the layout of the HMCML section. I made them in photoshop CS4 instead of word so I wanted to ask before I made all of them.

And they're not compleatly finished. I'm gonna add more clowny stuff

Clare.jpg

Daniella92.jpg

agnieszka.jpg

bonzaboy.jpg

evii.jpg

I love this, completley. I love the individuality to each page. IT'll be fun for not only Mika to look at, but the poeple who wrote these stories. I think it's brill :wub2:

EDIT: I forgot to mention the text though... I know for the last, the centered text works perfectly, but for the others...is there a way to justify it so that it's in line...or if that doesn't work center it? I was editor of my school newspaper lol...we never let anything go past without justification in text. So if that won't work, don't mind me : P

Edited by BonjourMika1990

a kind soul sent me the link to this thread and i just wanted to say that i absolutely LOVE the design of my page. :wub2: it's like so.. me :naughty: i really really like it. Seeing it made me realize that Mika and some other people will actually at one point read all of this which is, for me, a bit like eeeeek, but seeing how beautiful the page is made it easier for me. everyone will focus on the design instead of what i wrote :naughty:

great job mozarella, luv it! i had to drop in and say it :original:

a kind soul sent me the link to this thread and i just wanted to say that i absolutely LOVE the design of my page. :wub2: it's like so.. me :naughty: i really really like it. Seeing it made me realize that Mika and some other people will actually at one point read all of this which is, for me, a bit like eeeeek, but seeing how beautiful the page is made it easier for me. everyone will focus on the design instead of what i wrote :naughty:

great job mozarella, luv it! i had to drop in and say it :original:

i read your text and loved it! and the design of the pages looks brilliant!

cant wait to read the finished book!!

I've totally gone "deer in the headlights" over what I wrote. It's been so many months. I'd probably edit it to death if I got my hands on it again. So glad it's out of my hands because my stuff is always better than I think it is, but I always think it should be BETTER, y'know?

I'm so excited to see how this all turns out! :punk:

I know! i only write essays, a blog and lots of e-mails but every time i read something i wrote a day or a year earlier i feel like there's million things i'd change..

i read your text and loved it! and the design of the pages looks brilliant!

cant wait to read the finished book!!

really? thank you..

same here, seeing some of the pages got me even more excited about the book. it's gonna have the best spot on my bookshelf :das:

can't wait :naughty:

I did get your PM, but I didn't respond yet because I haven't definitely decided what's up with the art section completely. There are some things I want to do but I'm not sure what/ where yet. I plan on getting Lollipop done very soon and I've started some art stuff but I will be more focused on that in a couple days to respond. So thank you!