Ook! (The Terry Prachett thread)

chickadee

I've recently discovered that there are more people on this forum than just me who like the author Terry Pratchett.

So I thought I'd make us a thread, where you can discuss his books, the characters, the time you met Terry, what you think of the movies, how you got into reading Terry Pratchett etc etc etc.

Whatever you might like to put here.

OK, I'll start. I'm a reasonably big Pratchett fan. My husband (then my boyfriend) introduced me to Pratchett about 13 years ago and I've read most of the Discworld books and some of the non-Discworld ones.

I think Granny Weatherwax would have to be my favourite character, with Sam Vimes coming a close second.

I've not met Terry, although he has been to Australia several times, but I have listened to him live on the radio being interviewed.

I could keep going all day, but I might stop for now...

Any other fans out there?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the 'Ook!' in your sig and suspected that it would be a thread like this :naughty:

I'm not sure who my favourite character is. Agnes/Perdita is one of them, though.

Ooooh, yes! I love Agnes/Perdita. She is kind of me in a way. Large, generally kind, reasonably capable, but not necessarily terribly exciting, with a thin sarcastic girl inside, trying to get out!

Tell me if you read her differently of course. People see different things in the different characters...

Ah - my sort of thread x

Pratchett has got to be my fave contempory writer x

I was lucky enough to get to a book signing when Hogfather was released, mental length queue went 3x up and down waterstones then out, round the corner and 100 yards down the road x

couldn't say who my fave character is, there are so many, but Moist von Lipwig is shaping up nicely x Tiffany Aching is also one to watch x

useless info

The picture of rincewind drawn by Paul Kidby for The Last Hero looks like an ex-boyfriend of mine x

Ah - my sort of thread x

Pratchett has got to be my fave contempory writer x

I was lucky enough to get to a book signing when Hogfather was released, mental length queue went 3x up and down waterstones then out, round the corner and 100 yards down the road x

couldn't say who my fave character is, there are so many, but Moist von Lipwig is shaping up nicely x Tiffany Aching is also one to watch x

useless info

The picture of rincewind drawn by Paul Kidby for The Last Hero looks like an ex-boyfriend of mine x

Wow! Do you mean when Hogfather the book was relelased or was there a book tie-in with the Hogfather movie release?

Hmmm, I'm reserving judgement on Moist at the moment, I like him, but I want to see where he goes... I also like Tiffany but I wouldn't say she's made it up to my favourites yet. Then again, Granny grew on me over several books, so I really need to see where Tiffany goes as well...

Hey on a different note, did you get the neggs I gave you on neopets? I haven't been back on there to see.

Wow! Do you mean when Hogfather the book was relelased or was there a book tie-in with the Hogfather movie release?

Hmmm, I'm reserving judgement on Moist at the moment, I like him, but I want to see where he goes... I also like Tiffany but I wouldn't say she's made it up to my favourites yet. Then again, Granny grew on me over several books, so I really need to see where Tiffany goes as well...

Hey on a different note, did you get the neggs I gave you on neopets? I haven't been back on there to see.

I meant when the book was originally released x that would be 11 or 12 years ago x

And a huge thank you for the neggs x i did mail you on there to say so x

I meant when the book was originally released x that would be 11 or 12 years ago x

And a huge thank you for the neggs x i did mail you on there to say so x

I figured that's what you meant, just thought I'd clarify.

That's OK about the neggs, as I said, I haven't been back on there to check. Is there anything else you want? I've got np to waste and I can't give them to you... but I can get an item for you if you particularly want it (depending on the price).

I figured that's what you meant, just thought I'd clarify.

That's OK about the neggs, as I said, I haven't been back on there to check. Is there anything else you want? I've got np to waste and I can't give them to you... but I can get an item for you if you particularly want it (depending on the price).

I can't really think of anything i particularly want x i'm aiming to get talisman beads at the moment, but they are really expensive x thanks for the offer though x

Back on topic now x have you seen the Colour of Magic? x I'm having to wait til it comes out on dvd x

The only one I've seen is Hogfather, which they showed on tv here at Christmas last year (naturally).

I was kind of following the stuff about the making of the movie, last year, and then I found Mika and got kind of obsessed.

Are you telling me it's already been shown in cinemas? That won't happen here in Aus, I don't think.

I'm here now CD :thumb_yello:

(If I try to use your link I get a message saying I can't post as I'm not logged in :blink:)

My favourite characters are (in no particular order)

Sam Vimes

Granny Weatherwax

Vetinari

Gaspode

Tiffany Aching

The Librarian

and probably lots of others are nearly on the list, like Ponder Stibbons and Moist and Lu-Tze and Susan .... well, nearly all of them I suppose.

And Cohen

And I have been reading Discworld stuff since er - many many years- about 1992? I didn't read the books for ages because I was put off by the cover illustrations. It was only when I read an article about the Discworld and some quotes from the books that I decided to give them a try. How could I resist a character like Death - the archetypal Grim Reaper, complete with scythe and a terrifying white horse called "Binky":naughty:

And I have been reading Discworld stuff since er - many many years- about 1992? I didn't read the books for ages because I was put off by the cover illustrations. It was only when I read an article about the Discworld and some quotes from the books that I decided to give them a try. How could I resist a character like Death - the archetypal Grim Reaper, complete with scythe and a terrifying white horse called "Binky":naughty:

This is kind of OT but in neopets I had a white Uni as my shopkeeper and I named him Binky of course.

That's interesting what you say about the cover illustrations... Have you seen the latest ones? They're not even Paul Kidby. They look like crime fiction covers:blink:

Well, they do say you can't judge a book by it's cover, but considering the cover is the first thing you see....

I just think that there is no whimsy in the new covers and that people who pick them up expecting something serious may well be disappointed that it's not like they expect.

I read a book once called The Happy Housewife. The cover was intriguing, but the blurb really sold me. It was about a woman who has a baby and the mishaps that then occur. It made it sound funny, upbeat, amusing. I thought "Ah, I can so relate to all those funny, odd things that happen after you have a child, this should be good."

It was nothing like that. The woman didn't want to have the child, her husband wanted her to have it. Once she did have it, she had a psychotic episode where she nearly killed the baby and she had to go into a psychiatric institution for a while.

I was horrified. I felt extremely sad for the character, as it's bad enough to be pregnant and not really want to be a mother, but she couldn't help what happened to her (the psychotic episode). I felt even more sad for the poor little baby. And I felt like the blurb had misrepresented things. I never would have taken the book home with me, if the blurb had been worded differently to more accurately reflect the tone of the book.

I'm here now CD :thumb_yello:

(If I try to use your link I get a message saying I can't post as I'm not logged in :blink:)

That's strange. Which link do you mean, the one in my avvie or the other one I put up in the Aussie thread for you?

That's strange. Which link do you mean, the one in my avvie or the other one I put up in the Aussie thread for you?

Both! I could only log in when I went back to the main forum index and went into the thread that way. Very strange.

Possibly quantum! :naughty:

This is kind of OT but in neopets I had a white Uni as my shopkeeper and I named him Binky of course.

What else could u call it?

That's interesting what you say about the cover illustrations... Have you seen the latest ones? They're not even Paul Kidby. They look like crime fiction covers:blink:

Huh? Thud and Making Money both had Kidby covers x

Huh? Thud and Making Money both had Kidby covers x

sorry, I didn't mean the latest books, I meant the latest covers ie the reprints of all the books. But i forget that in England, you may be getting different covers to what we are getting here in Australia... I'll try and find a pic of what I mean...

On a different note, did you all know that Terry has early onset Alzheimer's?

Here's a link that I found but it doesn't even have the Australian covers, it just has other new (to me) covers, apart from a couple that don't seem to have changed (like The Last Hero).

http://www.harpercollins.com/features/pratchettbooks/listing.aspx

On a different note, did you all know that Terry has early onset Alzheimer's?

Sadly I did know this already. It seems particularly cruel that someone with a mind as creative as his should get a disease like Alzheimer's. He has donated a lot of money for research into the disease. :sad:

By my reckoning, there should be another book out around Christmas (there is usually :naughty:). Anybody heard any news?

well the latest one from the Diskworld series is Making Money(:mf_lustslow: just finished it :punk:) and yes there's goin to be a new one called Nation but it won't be connected to the Discworld as far as i've read ... i think it will be independent. He's got other ones that aren't connected to the Diskworld, although i've never read them =)

well the latest one from the Diskworld series is Making Money(:mf_lustslow: just finished it :punk:) and yes there's goin to be a new one called Nation but it won't be connected to the Discworld as far as i've read ... i think it will be independent. He's got other ones that aren't connected to the Diskworld, although i've never read them =)

Hi Aleander

What did you think of "Making Money"? Have you read "Going Postal"?