Back from South Africa!

Piperita Patty

DUMELA everyone!!

I'm back from 2 months of WONDERFUL experiences in South Africa. I've missed you all, the MFC and now I really want to share with you some of my memories...

sudafrica2008chapter2622.jpg

I went to South Africa on the 29th June 2008 as an exchange student, so I lived in a host family and I attended the school of my town, Phalaborwa. Basically I was supposed to do the same things the guys of my age use to do there.

To be in a new family, meet new people with different cultures, backgrounds, minds, believes and SO many things to share is something amazing!

sudafrica2008chapter2709.jpg

The people over there are incredibly friendly and full of hospitality!

When you cross the street and you meet someone you've never met, he/she greets you and he/she always asks you: "How are you, sis?".

And they constantly hug you and kiss you, it doesn’t matter how many times you meet them, it could happen twelve times in a day!

There are a lot of different cultures and languages as well. Just think that there are 11 official languages and some more unoficial!

Over there "South African Time" rules! It means that noone is ever in a hurry, you can take all your time to do whatever you want. “Quickly” is never quick, it can take you one hour as well as two/three hours to do something.

The place is truly a m a z i n g ! ! ! !

Savanna is spectacular and wild animals as well! Around my town you could see street signals with “pay-attention:-hippos-cross-the-road” and they really do it! Actually it happened with an elephant with me and lot of baboons...!

Phalaborwa (the place where I’ve been) is by the Kruger National Park, which means that it is just outside of the gates of the Park, so the nature round there is very wild and, as I said, you could really “meet” animals on your way.

sudafrica2008chapter2093.jpg

The spaces are huge! One of the closest town was 115kms far from Phalaborwa! And the very closest one is called Mica...! (which is actually the mineral they mine there)

sudafrica2008chapter2466.jpg

The tipical food is pap (porridge) accompanied with sauces (with a lot of chilly!) and chicken or boureworse. Meat is fabby!

This is a lady busy making some pap:

sudafrica2008chapter2730.jpg

....I really enjoyed this time, A LOT.

That was an experience I'll never forget and it really brought some more light in my life :)

ps: I've got TONS of pics, I'll choose the best ones and I'll upload them time by time.

Anyway: it's nice to come back here!! :blush-anim-cl:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baboons crossing the road:

IMG_0549.jpg

Talking about baboons....

IMG_0570.jpg

Elaphants:

IMG_0738.jpg

Street shop:

IMG_0901.jpg

Giant ants house:

IMG_1091.jpg

The mine at night (it's something like the "Chocolate Factory" as it's incredibly huge and unhuman):

IMG_1049.jpg

The same baobab....I loved it, I think I've taken 10pics of it...:

IMG_1047.jpg

ciao bella! :huglove:

what namala means?! Have you learnt some african dialect?!

gosh why there weren't such students opportunities @ my school?! :doh:

Glad to 'see' you there! :)

Maybe you meant "dumela"? Dumela means "hello" in Sepedi.

Actually I learnt some words in Afrikaans, in Sepedi and in Songa, but just few.

And even my school doesn't promote these kind of things, I just found it by myself...

Ciao bellissima!!!:huglove: I'm so glad you're back, I've missed you tons. And I'm even happier that you had such a wonderful time, I can feel your excitement in your words and the amazing pics. Thank you so much for sharing them with us, and feel free to post as many as you want, always willing to see some new things:naughty:

Hope we can chat soon, I want to read everything, and I also have to give you some reports, right?:naughty:

Ciao bellissima!!!:huglove: I'm so glad you're back, I've missed you tons. And I'm even happier that you had such a wonderful time, I can feel your excitement in your words and the amazing pics. Thank you so much for sharing them with us, and feel free to post as many as you want, always willing to see some new things:naughty:

Hope we can chat soon, I want to read everything, and I also have to give you some reports, right?:naughty:

awwwwwwwwwww!!!! :biggrin2::blush-anim-cl: I'm so happy to hear from you too!!

We will have our chats, we really will. And you MUST give me "some" roports! :bleh:

besos!

Oh Patty you are so lucky to stay in that village for 2 months! I was just thinking this morning how much I miss Kruger Park and wish I could live there. I don't know if I'll ever get to South Africa again but I want to make the effort. The sounds, the smells and the sights...the park is one of the most incredible places on earth.

Where exactly have you been?

I lived in Johannesburg for a year and made several trips to Kruger. I would stay in the camps inside the park. Usually Lower Sabie, Skukuza and Satara. I have driven up as far north as Letaba during the day which isn't too far from the Phalaborwa gate.

I lived in Johannesburg for a year and made several trips to Kruger. I would stay in the camps inside the park. Usually Lower Sabie, Skukuza and Satara. I have driven up as far north as Letaba during the day which isn't too far from the Phalaborwa gate.

Yep, I've been in Letaba.

So you have been living a year in total South African time?! ....not bad! I wish I could always have MY time. I mean the right (as far as you concern) time to do this thing, do to that other thing...and it does work! But in Europe it doesn't seem so..... maybe it's "the other side of the world"....