What is Mika's fascination with tragedy?

Lolliepop_girl

Let me first tell you that I am in no way being mean to Mika with this thread, I just was curious as I went through all his old blogs and most of the artists and the creative people he's blogged about have ties with tragedy.

Other connections are that there is a clear surrealist link and he seems to notice that you can, more or less, get away with more with the art that these people do.

They each have a slight understated vulgarity about them (ie Rufus Wainwright who's music he used, Charles Bukowski etc) and I think the surrealist thing comes from when he says he went into his own world when he was younger.

Anyway, I notice that there is an underlying theme of tragedy in a lot of the "What I'm looking at today" blogs that he did earlyer on in the blog.

Does anyone want to elaborate on this?

Is elaborate the right word?

I do speak english, I'm just half not quite there ;)

xx

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah most of his songs are like that too, "No hope no love no glory" "I dont care if i ever talk to you again"

blah blah blah :insane:

Yeah, I was singing to my own songs that I've written since I've known about him as the style has changed completely from Hillary Duff and Delta Goodrem esque to Katie Melua-ish, Rufus Wainwright-like and just completely twisted. Maybe it's because his undertone has that same stab-through-your-soul and drench you in bloody tears kind of lyrics whereas they're clashed in hi-fi, wakcy, Lucyinthe Sywith Diamonds (I put the words together, if you know why then you do, if you don't then you don't) tunes and yeah.

Maybe, do you think that the most interesting people have lived lives where the most defining this about them is their tragedies?

Or not, you know, whatever ;)

People tend to remember the bad times much easier than the good.

I could easily tell you about multiple bad things that have happened to me, but not that many good.

Plus people tend to want to talk about their feelings more when they're upset than when they're happy.

I've never called anyone to vent about my happiness but I'm always calling my friend to scream about the horrors of the day.

it's human nature to work out the bad feelings cause if you don't then they'll ruin your psyche.

I agree, but theres less reason for it.

You don't need help with your happiness, everyone can handle that on their own.

But when it comes to sadness or anger ts hard to deal with on your own.

How many really good happy movies, poems, songs, books, stories, anything, have you heard/seen/read?

Hilary duff?:eek:

Are we talking about the same mika?:naughty:

He's always been bee gees ft. freddie mercury ft. scissor sisters to me. He hasnt changed that much, imo.

No no, you misunderstood me, I said I was singing some of MY songs. As in, I write and Mika has had a HUGE influenc on my art and writing so I did wonder because the more I grow in years, the more tragic and emotional my writing becomes, albeit the more creepily happy and twisted become the lyrics rather than how they used to be more generic "I love you" and "You're so mean to me" and "thank you for finding me" they've since Mika, become more "This person did this" and "What is life?" and "how strange forces move people who do things" and the most noticeable is that they've become like a musical psychological analysis on continuous.

i think that you're right and his music hasn't changed that much but then again, it sort of has hasn't it?

I agree, but theres less reason for it.

You don't need help with your happiness, everyone can handle that on their own.

But when it comes to sadness or anger ts hard to deal with on your own.

How many really good happy movies, poems, songs, books, stories, anything, have you heard/seen/read?

But don't you agree that he has a way of capturing a feeling?

Like LT, OMS, GK... and then there's the story songs: BB and etc. But there are ways to write about happyness. It doesn't have to be about happyness to not be tragic either: He loves writing that tells a story, art that tells a story.

I just see that it's often happy and sad at the same time. So real that they capture something everyday-ish like a photograph put into words, and yet it's often too, so obsecene that you pass it and either say "Wow, that's cool!" or "Eew, that's so weird!" and obviously we thought the first one.

I love analysys but I am scared of psychologists and how they know how to analyse haha :P

See you all soon, I'm off to chase my tragic, unrequited love!

And his Mikalike, identical twin brother! :D

Edited by Lolliepop_girl

But don't you agree that he has a way of capturing a feeling?

Like LT, OMS, GK... and then there's the story songs: BB and etc. But there are ways to write about happyness. It doesn't have to be about happyness to not be tragic either: He loves writing that tells a story, art that tells a story.

I just see that it's often happy and sad at the same time. So real that they capture something everyday-ish like a photograph put into words, and yet it's often too, so obsecene that you pass it and either say "Wow, that's cool!" or "Eew, that's so weird!" and obviously we thought the first one.

I love analysys but I am scared of psychologists and how they know how to analyse haha :P

I completely agree, I was just defending the sadness in his songs.

his songs are very real.

I was just talking to someone on a David Bowie forum about how Mika may not have book smarts but he understands the worldand is a lot smarter than many many people.

Sorry if I'm analysing too much.

I'm aiming to be a psyghologist but i try to analyse without any bias.

Completely logical and nothing else.

his songs are very real.

I was just talking to someone on a David Bowie forum about how Mika may not have book smarts but he understands the worldand is a lot smarter than many many people.

Oh yeah, completely understood, I was just looking at his art likings.

Like the artists he has on his blog, their peices that he shows us are, well some of them, very fragic.

Or they have kind of sad tendancies.

LOL my granddad wants me to be a psychologist, but I'm afraid of them because I'm a tad odd ;)

Yeah, I think Mika has got book smarts though, his words would be great in an english class and he seems to have extensive knowledge of art, music etc.

He's maybe "Cultured?" would you say?

No no, I love Analisis! The more the merrier!

Yay analysis!

I can't spell any pshch-type words, sorry about that :P

i don't know if i agree...

um, love today doesn't seem very tragic!!

i mean, maybe he has a fascination with tragedy, i agree with the first post completely. but the whole 'he makes my writings/arts sad' ... i don't think i understand! mika's music isn't generally very depressing at all in my opinion! there are many other bands that are like 10xxxxx more depressing then mika...he seems very far away from that!

i don't know if i made sense, i just don't really think mika's music generally has a depressing influence ?

i don't know if i agree...

um, love today doesn't seem very tragic!!

i mean, maybe he has a fascination with tragedy, i agree with the first post completely. but the whole 'he makes my writings/arts sad' ... i don't think i understand! mika's music isn't generally very depressing at all in my opinion! there are many other bands that are like 10xxxxx more depressing then mika...he seems very far away from that!

i don't know if i made sense, i just don't really think mika's music generally has a depressing influence ?

Hold it!

First of all: I only say that he INFLUENCES me. I have been introduced, by what his likes are, to various slow...

GTG, brb

Hold it!

First of all: I only say that he INFLUENCES me. I have been introduced, by what his likes are, to various slow...

GTG, brb

OH! got it!!!

i thought you were talking about mika's music, not his influences. i now understand! :wink2:

"What I would so much hope for in the next album is a really romantic love song! When he’s been singing about love so far it has always been with some unhappy stroke about it, I would wish for a love song about the feeling when you’re happy, dancing and singing in love!"

I wrote this in the “What are you expecting from Mika’s new album thread”

My Interpretation – a break up song:boxed:

Lollipop – be careful about love:blink:

Ring, ring –love gone badly:naughty:

Erase –after a break up, again

Happy Ending –there is no…:boxed:

And on it goes…:wink2:

Yes I think you really have a point there, but isn’t that stroke of tragedy something that goes hand in hand with many expressions of art?

Oh how I wished that English was my native language at the moment! Sigh!:blush-anim-cl:

"What I would so much hope for in the next album is a really romantic love song! When he’s been singing about love so far it has always been with some unhappy stroke about it, I would wish for a love song about the feeling when you’re happy, dancing and singing in love!"

Happy Ending –there is no…:boxed :

Yes I think you really have a point there, but isn’t that stroke of tragedy something that goes hand in hand with many expressions of art?

Oh how I wished that English was my native language at the moment! Sigh!:blush-anim-cl:

Aww Sienna, I understand what you are saying! Your English is outstanding!

I agree, I really enjoy all the happy songs from LICM. Well, I enjoy all of them :naughty:, but I'm more often in a happy mood than sad, so I'm more inclined to listen to a happy song. A happy song about love would just be wonderful. Not that anything that comes out of Mika's mouth isn't wonderful :wub2:

Happy Ending –there is no…:boxed:

No, you're very well understood :)

I know what you mean, but looking at some of the peices of art, like that person being hanged, the skeletons, you know, things like that. And how he likes "the fingertips song" that goeas "I sept the day picking up the fingertips, they were red from your lips.... I found your knees in a bucket... Etc" and then says he quitel likes the idea of finding severed limbs around the city. Well I know that what he was saying was (I hope) from an artistic POV but all the same, he does seem to be quite dark in his tastes, don't you agree?

Not that I don't love tragedy, but yeah.

And just so we're clear, I mean my songs have changed from generic and love-based to twisted and humourous and sad with a happy tune and very story-tellerish.

Not like I'm going all emo because of Mika or anything! LOL

his songs are very real.

I think we are looking at a man who is a genius, and with genius comes OCD traits (that he says he has) and a genius tends to have a darker psyche that other people. I'm not a psycologist, but I do think that Mika is not always the happy person we would like him to be, for his own sake. If you look at the new DVD, on the documentary, we see him looking shattered and unshaven, trying to get the PDP gig exactly as he wanted it.

Of course he succeeded, but I sometimes do think, at what cost does he succeed? Certainly if he doesn't sleep, if he worries too much about his shows, etc, will all of this stress have a detrimental effect on his health in the end?

Of course I hope it doesn't, but when you listen to his lyrics there is a lot of tragic metaphore in many of his songs, so I do think there is a tragic side to Mika himself, but this is only my own opinion

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Let me first tell you that I am in no way being mean to Mika with this thread, I just was curious as I went through all his old blogs and most of the artists and the creative people he's blogged about have ties with tragedy.

Other connections are that there is a clear surrealist link and he seems to notice that you can, more or less, get away with more with the art that these people do.

They each have a slight understated vulgarity about them (ie Rufus Wainwright who's music he used, Charles Bukowski etc) and I think the surrealist thing comes from when he says he went into his own world when he was younger.

Anyway, I notice that there is an underlying theme of tragedy in a lot of the "What I'm looking at today" blogs that he did earlyer on in the blog.

Does anyone want to elaborate on this?

Is elaborate the right word?

I do speak english, I'm just half not quite there ;)

xx

Well,a lot of tragic things happened to him as a child, so I'm not too surprised about it.

I'm also the sort who's favourite songs are tragic ,passionate and heartfelt, so...yeah.:bleh:

Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Nickelback are some of my other favourites.

I also like this sad-sounding Japanese song about a regretted breakup called "Dear You".

Well,a lot of tragic things happened to him as a child, so I'm not too surprised about it.

I'm also the sort who's favourite songs are tragic ,passionate and heartfelt, so...yeah.:bleh:

Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Nickelback are some of my other favourites.

I also like this sad-sounding Japanese song about a regretted breakup called "Dear You".

yeah....i agree...

Well i dont write songs but i do right poems and im mostly inspired when sth sad/bad happen (to me mostly) ,so i can kinda undestand him(i said "kinda" bcs i think no1 can be totally,completely understood if he wasn't in that persons shoes) :rolls_eyes:

dunno to explain it well in english...sry.....

I certainly understand what some people are saying about wanting a straightforward 'love song' on his new album, but I think Mika's songs are better than that. I don't mind that he doesn't write simple love songs. Mika's songs are different and I'm glad about that.

Another point is about 'Love Today'. Parts of it are happy, parts are not! The part about Carolina is very sad. Men are willing to use her for a dollar.

I think perhaps Mika has been unlucky in love, so he's used to the sad aspects of rejection. No hope, no love, no glory. Erase my love... type of thing. That's what I think anyway.

guy's i've just read as much (as my dyslexic mind can read !!! lol) of the thread as possible and i find it very interesting, becasuse i have the same facination with tragady as mika does and i too was also bullied in school like him !!!! and sometimes i feel abit of anger when i look back at those terrible memories.

i still like happy, everybody does, i like to listening to happy songs but i also like listening to sad songs. I think sad songs seem to draw you in better, but what i like a about mika is the fact that sometimes he'll put sad lyrics 2 a really jazzy tune ............. very clever..............