Mikasounds and Twitter Update Thread (Part 3)

Fmbm

Mika should play here.

He should be impulsive and decadent here just like he is everywhere else. We're no different. We're not any less of a fan or anything. Stuff the financial crap. He wastes money on 50 year old washing machines FFS.

Well, you never know, he may be spontaneous and throw in a secret gig, but just don't hope too much or it will be disappointing.

And obviously it's not about being less of a fan, it's about the numbers. Realistically now, how many fans do you think he has in Australia? Would he fill even a small venue?

These are the questions to be asked.

And so far, he's only been spontaneous in LA, and that was due to a very special set of circumstances (just finished the album, Perez was saying,etc...). Even Andy didn't fly to NY!

The rest of gigs were carefully planned, and I suspect that the fact that the only US date was in NY was due to him having all this family setup over there.

A plane ticket for each band member/entourage member/ family member is already a lot, not to add equipment, management, etc, etc.....

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you never know, he may be spontaneous and throw in a secret gig, but just don't hope too much or it will be disappointing.

And obviously it's not about being less of a fan, it's about the numbers. Realistically now, how many fans do you think he has in Australia? Would he fill even a small venue?

These are the questions to be asked.

And so far, he's only been spontaneous in LA, and that was due to a very special set of circumstances (just finished the album, Perez was saying,etc...). Even Andy didn't fly to NY!

The rest of gigs were carefully planned, and I suspect that the fact that the only US date was in NY was due to him having all this family setup over there.

A plane ticket for each band member/entourage member/ family member is already a lot, not to add equipment, management, etc, etc.....

Seriously Sariflor, I think Mika would sell out a venue quite easily here, we do have a large population, we arent all living with kangaroos and koalas.

I know you are trying to be realistic, but for now, just let us aussies enjoy the moment and live in hope that he will be spontaneous and spoil us as he has spoiled all of Europe.

Seriously Sariflor, I think Mika would sell out a venue quite easily here, we do have a large population, we arent all living with kangaroos and koalas.

I know you are trying to be realistic, but for now, just let us aussies enjoy the moment and live in hope that he will be spontaneous and spoil us as he has spoiled all of Europe.

I'm not trying by any means to not let you enjoy the moment, and I for one DO hope that he'll do something over there soon.

Re selling out, several of the Aussie fans have already said that it would be too far/last moment notice for them to travel, so besides the hardcores, how many other fans would realistically get there for a sell out?

Even in Milan this summer the show wasn't sold out completely....

Not sure what your comment about the koalas and kangaroos is, as you didn't post a smiley. I hope that you're joking?

I didn't make any out of order or offensive comments and I believe that I only stated things in quite a factual matter, trying to give a realistic view of it, and I was actually responding to Kelzy's comment about what the trip would be about.

Oh and for the record: he hasn't spoiled all of Europe. He has performed in England, France, Nl, Belgium, Italy and Germany.

Many countries haven't seen him, and some people like for example Dilek can't travel to see him even when he's in Europe as they need a visa which takes too long to sort out.

Just showing that it's a more generalised issue than him just "shunning Australia" :wink2:

I'm sure I've read artists saying they tour to sell the album- I don't think it's all about waiting to see how the album goes.

I'm not surprised he concentrated on the home and more obvious markets with his first album, but he's been able to raise his profile in Europe and the US with the EP, maybe Oz will get some dates with his second.

But the Aussies will know best- if other UK bands play there, MIka probably will. If they generally give the place a miss, then it's less likely

Who else has toured there?

Oh I know, it looks like a waste of time and money to fly there just for promo purposes...

I've googled it and found nothing...:sneaky2:

Is there anything on Australian Press?

I hope he twits about a secret gig soon...:thumb_yello:

Would be nice! Unlikely, but it's not impossible. :thumb_yello:

Yes, this is our moment. I'm just going to ignore anyone who tells me the way the business runs etc.. etc..

It's all assumption..

Maybe he will do smth maybe he won't. Sorry guys, but I'm not in the mood for it all. It's a miracle imo he's even written Australia in a tweet. Seriously I thought it wasn't ever going to happen..

But the Aussies will know best- if other UK bands play there, MIka probably will. If they generally give the place a miss, then it's less likely

Who else has toured there?

Australia is potentially a good market. Pink is doing 60 shows in Australia this year, with 16 shows in Melbourne alone from May through to August.

Britney is on her way to Oz, Katy Perry is on her way there, Beyonce...Snow Patrol, Duffy, The Killers played this year....and I am sure Kelzy or soangel will tell us the rest....

I really WANT MIKA TO PLAY IN OZ. I want my Aussie buddies to get their chance for a Mika show. I really do. But it is a bit like twisting the knife when you find out he is coming and yet not announced to be doing anything publicly. It is not fun to have your hopes up and then dashed...so sometimes its easier to keep a healthy level of cynicism... or outright distrust... :pinkbow:

Edited by Blue Sky

Maybe he will do smth maybe he won't. Sorry guys, but I'm not in the mood for it all. It's a miracle imo he's even written Australia in a tweet. Seriously I thought it wasn't ever going to happen..

Come on! He's there now! :huglove:

:groovy:

Would be nice! Unlikely, but it's not impossible. :thumb_yello:

Yes, this is our moment. I'm just going to ignore anyone who tells me the way the business runs etc.. etc..

It's all assumption..

You don't have to be sorry! I think if he said he was coming here I'd freak out... But that's completely different:aah:

I really hope something happens for you guys:huglove: Even it being unlikely, you can always hope and know he IS there right now.

Australia is potentially a good market. Pink is doing 60 shows in Australia this year, with 16 shows in Melbourne alone from May through to August.

Britney is on her way to Oz, Katy Perry is on her way there, Beyonce...Snow Patrol, Duffy, The Killers played this year....and I am sure Kelzy or soangel will tell us the rest....

Thanks BS. I don't think I need to explain that Australia likes concerts and artists like playing here.

One would be stupid not to be able to see that.

I really WANT MIKA TO PLAY IN OZ. I want my Aussie buddies to get their chance for a Mika show. I really do. But it is a bit like twisting the knife when you find out he is coming and yet not announced to be doing anything publicly. It is not fun to have your hopes up and then dashed...so sometimes its easier to keep a healthy level of cynicism... or outright distrust... :pinkbow:

I really do too!! And we were expecting gig dates to be announced first - not "I'm coming to Australia WHOOP WHOOP"

It's happened backwards..

I'm realistic enough to accept he won't play for us while he is here. We're not children. We know how it works. (not aimed at anyone in particular).

But there's nothing wrong with hoping he'll do something impromptu.

Come on! He's there now! :huglove:

:groovy:

Nah, he's still in L.A. :naughty: It could still be cancelled.

But I have to say..

Who else has ever had a "WHOOP WHOOP" written after their country?? huh?? Didn't think so.

:naughty:

You don't have to be sorry! I think if he said he was coming here I'd freak out... But that's completely different:aah:

I really hope something happens for you guys:huglove: Even it being unlikely, you can always hope and know he IS there right now.

:naughty: thanks :huglove: and it's very weird.

I just hope he has a good time regardless of what happens.

BTW! He's not here right now people!! :roftl:

He hasn't left L.A. yet

Been reading this with interest.

I can see both side have valid points on the logistics and financial viabilities of whether Mika should play in Aus.

But as I said when this whole thing started about why he hasn't gone to play there yet, there really isn't anything stopping him, as a lot of artists with their first albums have gone to play there, and Japan, because the markets there are just as big as here or the US.

Some artists, have even made careers over in these countries, and we haven't heard of them here, because they make more money there than they could here. Every now and again stories leak out about this, it did a few times in the 80s & 90s.

If Mika did a small acoustic tour of Aus, without the whistles and bells, to get the lay of the land, as it were, then he would see if t was worth doing a full scale one later. I mean a lot of new acts have done tours there, and LICM sold well there, I can't see what the hold up is.

:naughty: thanks :huglove: and it's very weird.

I just hope he has a good time regardless of what happens.

BTW! He's not here right now people!! :roftl:

He hasn't left L.A. yet

You're welcome:wink2:

Yep me too:biggrin2:

Aaaah!:teehee:

But still... He's going:aah:

I can see both side have valid points on the logistics and financial viabilities of whether Mika should play in Aus.

But as I said when this whole thing started about why he hasn't gone to play there yet, there really isn't anything stopping him, as a lot of artists with their first albums have gone to play there, and Japan, because the markets there are just as big as here or the US.

Some artists, have even made careers over in these countries, and we haven't heard of them here, because they make more money there than they could here. Every now and again stories leak out about this, it did a few times in the 80s & 90s.

If Mika did a small acoustic tour of Aus, without the whistles and bells, to get the lay of the land, as it were, then he would see if t was worth doing a full scale one later. I mean a lot of new acts have done tours there, and LICM sold well there, I can't see what the hold up is.

Blondie was famous here before anywhere else.

Debbie Harry drinks, anyone?

Sorry Rose, just quoting you because of the wording of it, but it's a response to everything that has been posted :naughty:.

I just want to point out that I wasn't saying at any time that he "shouldn't" play there. I was merely explaining why (in my humble opinion) he hasn't done so recently, that's all.

I want for everyone to be able to have the same magical Mika experiences that other places have had, and I've been feeling that way for a long time, as some of the Aussies know anyway.

Just thought I'd make it clear, in case this was heading into a different direction via chinese whispers, as it happens :roftl:

It's simple: he went there in 2007 when he had the old album, for which he hasn't actually toured anywhere since late 07-january 08 (the London Feb gigs were rescheduled from the original Dec dates, and the few summer 08 appearances were festivals and not a full on tour).

He hasn't been touring anywhere else until this summer with his short "acoustic" tour, and now he's doing a bit of promo for the new album.

I really don't see how this is strange. For the small tour he had to pick a few places, and sadly for the Aussies it wasn't over there. He mainly focused on places where he is already big and where he would for sure fill a gig with mainly fans. Can you imagine if he went through with the cost of putting on the show in Australia and then he doesn't even sell it out? He's already losing cash with these small shows as it is. I wouldn't want him to lose out even more.

It makes perfect business sense that he sticks to closer places where it will be cheaper to move the show between venues, and where he won't need to do a lot of work to fill the place, and it will sell out.

I'm not saying this to be unsympathetic, far from it, but just to be realistic. This is how it is.

Now he's going there for promo, which is a good sign, but whatever happens in the future will depend on the reception that he gets to the new album over there. If people are not into it, or it doesn't raise enough interest, then it would be silly for him to go on a big tour there. I can only imagine the costs involved in flying the whole production so far, and there HAS to be a substantial economic retribution or sense to it.

I'm sure that Mika would love to go there for his fans, but he needs to abide by certain rules, and also he needs to make some money for the record company. It's not always about what he wants or can do.

He hasn't toured anywhere since late 07-jan 08? Well he was here in June 07, less than 6 months after LICM was released, and he said he'd be back later in the year to tour. Which would've made sense after doing promo.

We are not some obscure island in the southern hemisphere, we are a substantial chunk of the world music market, and we have just as much money to spend on music as any other UK or US or whatever. Mika is WELL famous here, or WAS. If you listened to mainstream radio in 2007/08 you would hear him at least every half hour-hour. LiCM reached number 5 (double platinum) in our album charts, which is very good for an international artist because we have our own well established music scene. What did he reach in the US? 29?

And since I'm looking at wikipedia here, he couldn't sell out a show in Milan? In a country he has toured in (and near) and done promo in how many times? He made it to number 9 in their charts. Compared to what he acheived in Australia in 2 short days.

He is a fool for not coming back to tour properly, and he could have and still could (with some promo to show that he still exists) easily sell out. It would be pointless listing the UK acts that easily sell out shows here, we'd be here all day.

Even in the US, who hate him, too many people turned up for the secret show. If he did a secret show in sydney now, there would be enough random sydney-siders (excluding mfcers) to fill it (it is the gay capital of australia :fisch:), if he announced a show/s for in a month or so, they would sell out. We've already had two new australian mfcers appear in the aussie thread since that tweet.

Anyway ... um .. what I'm saying is stfu about touring in australia being uneconomical and playing just to please fans. We are a perfectly viable market that any one as successful here as him should have tapped into long ago.

Who else has ever had a "WHOOP WHOOP" written after their country?? huh?? Didn't think so.

:groovy:!! :naughty:

I'd rather eat cheese and hug trees:roftl::roftl::roftl:

Don't forget to stroke gerbils:das:

you'll both regret in the morning once you get over your jetlagged attitude problems :teehee:

Thanks BS. I don't think I need to explain that Australia likes concerts and artists like playing here.

One would be stupid not to be able to see that.

:naughty:

Actually, you can be quite intelligent and not be up on how often artists tour Australia. Whyever would it interest anyone outside the place, unless they're empathising with Australian fans?

He hasn't toured anywhere since late 07-jan 08? Well he was here in June 07, less than 6 months after LICM was released, and he said he'd be back later in the year to tour. Which would've made sense after doing promo.

We are not some obscure island in the southern hemisphere, we are a substantial chunk of the world music market, and we have just as much money to spend on music as any other UK or US or whatever. Mika is WELL famous here, or WAS. If you listened to mainstream radio in 2007/08 you would hear him at least every half hour-hour. LiCM reached number 5 (double platinum) in our album charts, which is very good for an international artist because we have our own well established music scene. What did he reach in the US? 29?

And since I'm looking at wikipedia here, he couldn't sell out a show in Milan? In a country he has toured in (and near) and done promo in how many times? He made it to number 9 in their charts. Compared to what he acheived in Australia in 2 short days.

He is a fool for not coming back to tour properly, and he could have and still could (with some promo to show that he still exists) easily sell out. It would be pointless listing the UK acts that easily sell out shows here, we'd be here all day.

Even in the US, who hate him, too many people turned up for the secret show. If he did a secret show in sydney now, there would be enough random sydney-siders (excluding mfcers) to fill it (it is the gay capital of australia :fisch:), if he announced a show/s for in a month or so, they would sell out. We've already had two new australian mfcers appear in the aussie thread since that tweet.

Anyway ... um .. what I'm saying is stfu about touring in australia being uneconomical and playing just to please fans. We are a perfectly viable market that any one as successful here as him should have tapped into long ago.

I will try and respond in an organised way:

-Mika says many things, and many fall through. That has happened regarding numerous gigs and other things, and not only with Australian dates.

-I know well what Australia is, and its position in the global economy, and I haven't at any point said anything to try and minimise that or make it out like it's less than what it is. In fact I haven't made any posts about Australia itself in that light at all, fullstop.

I can't understand where all these comments are now coming from, where you seem to be implying that I have.

Now that out of the way: none of us know exactly what has made him/them (the record company) make the decisions that they have made, regarding where they tour and when, but let's for a second stop and realise that these people are out there to make money, and they will do whatever makes them get more money.

Record companies work on that basis, so it's not far fetched to think that if they haven't gone there since 2007, it's not because they have just forgotten about Australia, but because for one reason or another it didn't make economic sense to them/Mika at that time.

Mika has been out of the public eye since very early 2008 globally. He hasn't done any touring. He got sick at the end of 2007 and had to reschedule those dates to Feb (London gigs), so even though I'm sure that when he said that he'd go back to Australia he meant it at the time, it just never happened because something got in the way.

The point that I'm trying to make is that there has to be some sense to it, and it's not like he's been touring the world all over 5 times and ignoring you guys.

He hasn't done any touring fullstop. And now that he's launching the album and with it a new tour will come, he is already saying that he's coming over to Australia, so that is a good sign of things to come. And if I'm honest, I AM excited for everyone who will hopefully get to see him soon. I wish everyone could, I really do.

About the US: I don't think that one can say that everyone hates him in the US.

He had pretty good album sales over there, and at the end of the day he's half American, so his heart will probably always be there, as he also has a lot of family that live in NY.

I don't understand why you are telling me to "stfu". To be honest it's quite aggressive, and I've only been reasonable. I have said countless times that I feel all the sympathy for all those who haven't gotten to see him at all, or for a long time, and I haven't posted anything untoward, so frankly, I can't see how you can justify telling me to shut the f*ck up. That's just not very nice.

C'mon guys !! Surely there is no need to argue or justify about Mika coming to OZ ??!! Pfffttt !!

Mika did one promo. gig in June '07 in Sydney in a small venue, approx. (1,000 ppl ) were there ... it was 'sold out' !!

No more than TEN of us were MFC'rs !! The gig was announced approx. 2 weeks beforehand ... us crazy new fans did the whole pre-sale thing thru' Ticketmaster & queued early etc. .... we were there for HOURS by ourselves ... & it was AWESOME to meet & have the whole meeting each other OFF the forum etc. ... then suddenly, at around 7:30pm ... there were nearly 900 non MFC'rs lining up ... to get into the gig !!

And it WENT OFF !!! I feel CERTAIN that any of those gig go-ers would go again to see Mika ... & that prob. the same would have happened in Melbourne too , if he had offered a gig.

I really don't think it's so much about economic viability as it is about promotion , marketing etc.

The OZ public is a VERY willing audience ... many great artists come & perform here & pack out venues from small shows to stadiums ... & sure, we are a young country & our population is small in relation to our land mass ... but nevertheless, we do have the capacity to sell out gigs, venues etc. ....

I just wanna KNOW what Mika is gonna DO here ... or not ??!! :aah::pinkbow:

Actually, you can be quite intelligent and not be up on how often artists tour Australia. Whyever would it interest anyone outside the place, unless they're empathising with Australian fans?

I'm not here to argue with anyone. And that comment was not aimed at anyone here. If you take it personally then you've missed my point.

Apart from that, in reply to what you've just said. A case of stupidity would be when someone disregards Australia as being a good market by not realising the potential involved in being popular here - not in comparison to Europe or USA, but just for the sales that this thriving country alone contributes to their success.

h.a.n.d.