Mika@Amsterdam June 2 2009 Gig reports, photos & vids

Queenie

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this blog by Hans Schiffers, radio dj. from Dutch Radio2 (and Mikafan...he sat right before me at the Concertgebouw) has been posted already. (I will try to translate later)

http://schiffersfm.omroep.nl/page/artikel/304727

A Mick Jagger direction the Rolling Stones...

Tuesday night Mika performed in Amsterdam. A year and a half ago I made a passionate campagne to get his debute Grace Kelly into the TYop 2000 and it worked. Mika got in with 2 songs actually. On number 364 with Grace and 188 with Relax, take it easy. Since then I have closed the Brittish-Lebanse singer, who gave popmusic in England an original twist, in my heart. (don't know if this is a correct English expression...)

The location made everything exceptionally special; one of the three best halls in the world for symphonic music. The Concertgebouw. I often go there for classical music, but that it is allowed to play Big Girls you are Beautiful there, is new for me.

It are above all the physical aspects which make Mika attractive. He has a terrible nice head with curly hair and a smile which makes him irrestible. His sinewy body is constantly in action. He is moving all the time, doesn't sit still at all. Even I'm getting a bit neurotic from him. And that falsetto voice doesn't help also to listen to him quietly. Mika is a boy who takes you with him on adventure.

On stage he is comparible with Mick Jagger who is directing the Rolling Stones. Nothing escapes his eyes. He is possesed by the music.

Did we get to hear new stuff? Mika has made an EP, Songs for Sorrow with new songs like Blue Eyes, Lady Jane, Lonely Alcoholic en Toy Boy. It's avaible from June 8th. Was Life in Cartoon Motion especially about his early childhood, it looks like this songs show a more adult (mature?) Mika.

I am curious about the new album next autumn. Because how do you make a successor for a debute which sold 6 million copies? It are question by which an artist shouldn't be bothered.

My Report Part 1 Amsterdam 2-6-09

I had a brilliant and easy journey to Schiphol and into Amsterdam. The bus dropped me at the hotel right across the road from the Concertgebouw. I found the main door and the stage door where there were 2 large lorries, then I went to my hotel which did, as promised, have a view of the concert hall. I checked in – they were lovely and helpful, even carried my rucksack up to my room. I had time for a rest and in no time at all it was time to meet Mana and go to the first meet.

Meet #1

There were 10 of us, I think, at the meeting spot. No sign of Ellie 13 which was worrying because no-one had her number and she was coming from the UK. We walked along a very long shopping street where people shopped, got cash etc. Then we turned back and went for coffee. Very nice coffee – iced. Ingie joined us there and we listened to Mika on Starrat's phone speaker. Everyone was friendly and although clearly the oldest of the Oldlings, I felt very comfortable. Somehow, the whole afternoon had passed and it was time for the second meeting.

Meet #2

I think there were 18 of us who met and went to Ristorante Piccolino. Miek’s husband had booked in the name of Miek Penniman, but we were the only group there so there was no chance for confusion. We were at two long tables and were served drinks then our meals. Most of us had pizzas. They looked lovely, all round and golden. I had taglietelli with cream and mushrooms. Absolutely gorgeous. Everyone was lovely. I’ve put some faces to names now which is great but I can’t cope with real names and MFC names so forgive me for the ones I forget. I realised that everyone else was wearing their clothes for the evening but I still needed to shower and change, so I went back to my hotel for that.

When I was ready, I went round to the stage door where there were two lollipop girls but no MFCers. I was worried in case they were meeting Mika in a pre-gig scenario without me, but Mana texted to say that the main doors were open so they were already in their seats. I went in and looked for my seat. Like Mana who was at the far end of row 1, I had a weird folding seat at the far end of row 2. Andy had his camera set up right in ‘my’ corner so I said hello and he replied as if he remembered me! Ah, maybe he did. We talked a bit and I asked if it was O.K. to stand with him because I only had the little seat and he said yes so we talked more. He was asking about the MFC and MFCers there. I showed him the seating plan I’d printed out and he was impressed by how many of us there were and how near the front we had our seats. I showed him the print-off I’d made of the thread with all of us who were going. I really need to get a life! The girl at the end of row 1 (seat 22) - Nadine maybe, or lindaceae, had a bag with Patrick Wolf on and they talked about him and whether he liked or didn’t like Mika. Andy thought that he had been rude about Mika before he knew that he writes his own music and that he apologised afterwards. I said that I was going to see Paolo Nutini next week and Andy told me that Mika likes ‘Candy’ the single off his new album. Just as we’d said that, Candy came on. It’s on Mika’s playlist on this tour for the music before he starts. We talked about the support, ‘Blue Roses’ and he said the singer was really genuine and it was a beautiful sound. What else? What else? Errrmmmm something about the line up being more technically better than the last tour…

Andy took some footage of the lollipop girls and in their baskets. He asked if they were MFCers and if they had made their own costumes. I had thought they were Mika costumes but Andy said no. They looked very good. Then he took his camera, went and it was time to begin. The lights went down, the curtains around the exits were pulled and Blue Roses came on.

photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=114662&id=778183798&saved#/album.php?aid=114662&id=778183798

Edited by Ruth

I can help you if you want! :wink2:

some pictures of awijmans

602488731_6_ovnK.jpeg

I am visible here too, just like you Nielo. Tho I look a little desperate for an empty spot :roftl:. My god, there were really a lot of flashes when we were posing for this pic! I wonder how many people we don't know have our picture now :naughty:.

Wonderful pics Alexander, I am anxious to see them all (have to download a programme to unpack the pics I downloaded from your link first and have to wait till b/f is home since I have no idea how :bleh:).

Lovely picture Anneke! And it was great meeting you and your husband!

Edited by Monie

I can see myself too Nielo. Tho I look a little desperate to be seen :roftl:.

Wonderful pics Alexander, I am anxious to see them all (have to download a programme to unpack the pics I downloaded from your link first and have to wait till b/f is home since I have no idea how :bleh:).

Lovely picture Anneke! And it was great meeting you and your husband!

Oh oh oh.... My arm raised at the back. I could see nothing :roftl:

Oh oh oh.... My arm raised at the back. I could see nothing :roftl:

You must have been standing right behind me. The top of my head is right next to your arm. :roftl:

I had a brilliant and easy journey to Schiphol and into Amsterdam. The bus dropped me at the hotel right across the road from the Concertgebouw. I found the main door and the stage door where there were 2 large lorries, then I went to my hotel which did, as promised, have a view of the concert hall. I checked in – they were lovely and helpful, even carried my rucksack up to my room. I had time for a rest and in no time at all it was time to meet Mana and go to the first meet.

Meet #1

There were 10 of us, I think, at the meeting spot. No sign of Ellie 13 which was worrying because no-one had her number and she was coming from the UK. We walked along a very long shopping street where people shopped, got cash etc. Then we turned back and went for coffee. Very nice coffee – iced. Ingie joined us there and we listened to Mika on ___?__ (sorry, sweetie - remind me)'s phone speaker. Everyone was friendly and although clearly the oldest of the Oldlings, I felt very comfortable. Somehow, the whole afternoon had passed and it was time for the second meeting.

Meet #2

I think there were 18 of us who met and went to Ristorante Piccolino. Miek’s husband had booked in the name of Miek Penniman, but we were the only group there so there was no chance for confusion. We were at two long tables and were served drinks then our meals. Most of us had pizzas. They looked lovely, all round and golden. I had taglietelli with cream and mushrooms. Absolutely gorgeous. Everyone was lovely. I’ve put some faces to names now which is great but I can’t cope with real names and MFC names so forgive me for the ones I forget. I realised that everyone else was wearing their clothes for the evening but I still needed to shower and change, so I went back to my hotel for that.

When I was ready, I went round to the stage door where there were two lollipop girls but no MFCers. I was worried in case they were meeting Mika in a pre-gig scenario without me, but Mana texted to say that the main doors were open so they were already in their seats. I went in and looked for my seat. Like Mana who was at the far end of row 1, I had a weird folding seat at the far end of row 2. Andy had his camera set up right in ‘my’ corner so I said hello and he replied as if he remembered me! Ah, maybe he did. We talked a bit and I asked if it was O.K. to stand with him because I only had the little seat and he said yes so we talked more. He was asking about the MFC and MFCers there. I showed him the seating plan I’d printed out and he was impressed by how many of us there were and how near the front we had our seats. I showed him the print-off I’d made of the thread with all of us who were going. I really need to get a life! The girl at the end of row 1 (seat 22) - Nadine maybe, or lindaceae, had a bag with Patrick Wolf on and they talked about him and whether he liked or didn’t like Mika. Andy thought that he had been rude about Mika before he knew that he writes his own music and that he apologised afterwards. I said that I was going to see Paolo Nutini next week and Andy told me that Mika likes ‘Candy’ the single off his new album. Just as we’d said that, Candy came on. It’s on Mika’s playlist on this tour for the music before he starts. We talked about the support, ‘Blue Roses’ and he said the singer was really genuine and it was a beautiful sound. What else? What else? Errrmmmm something about the line up being more technically better than the last tour…

Andy took some footage of the lollipop girls and in their baskets. He asked if they were MFCers and if they had made their own costumes. I had thought they were Mika costumes but Andy said no. They looked very good. Then he took his camera, went and it was time to begin. The lights went down, the curtains around the exits were pulled and Blue Roses came on.

Thank you for this interesting report Ruth, loving the details!:wub2:

Thanks for explaining. Now I know where to find you on the pic too :biggrin2:.

:roftl:

At least, I'm assuming that's me. I was somewhere in the back, trying desperately to get into the frame by standing on my toes. :naughty:

Meet #1

There were 10 of us, I think, at the meeting spot. No sign of Ellie 13 which was worrying because no-one had her number and she was coming from the UK. We walked along a very long shopping street where people shopped, got cash etc. Then we turned back and went for coffee. Very nice coffee – iced. Ingie joined us there and we listened to Mika on ___?__ (sorry, sweetie - remind me)'s phone speaker. Everyone was friendly and although clearly the oldest of the Oldlings, I felt very comfortable. Somehow, the whole afternoon had passed and it was time for the second meeting.

Meet #2

I bought paolo nutini's new album at the train station in Amsterdam! A few hours before the gig!:shocked::roftl: