Mika@Amsterdam June 2 2009 Gig reports, photos & vids

Queenie

Great vid! :punk:

(And I'm actually in it for about 2 seconds. :biggrin2:)

We wondered what happened to you. Glad to hear you enjoyed the gig!

You were on the balcony too? Which seat? Cause we must have bumped into each other at some point... That balcony was small! :roftl: (But the view was awesome! :biggrin2:)

Oh it was!

I was 3 rows from front 2nd from the end on the left as you face the stage. Where were you? And was that Katy Perry at the end of that row on the far right??

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's been so long, I've posted my gig report on my MySpace page rather than on here.

It's more of an Amsterdam report than specifically a gig report, but there is an "Amsterdam Gig" subheading if you'd like to read just that bit. :punk:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=263813615&blogId=497428414

Since it's been so long, I've posted my gig report on my MySpace page rather than on here.

It's more of an Amsterdam report than specifically a gig report, but there is an "Amsterdam Gig" subheading if you'd like to read just that bit. :punk:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=263813615&blogId=497428414

enjoyed reading it very much! really love the way you write and cant wait for the next chapters!

Thank you for leaving your MySpace page open!:wub2:

*goes to read*

Yaaah you listened to meee! Gonna read it now!:wub2:

Thanks for mentioning my name :wub2: I hope I didn't spoke to much in dutch, if so, I'm sorry.

Great report :thumb_yello:

Sorry to hear you had such a sad mood start of your journey, thinking about the accident with the Air France plane, I heard about it as soon as I had landed from the trip to Berlin. It really makes you think about their loved ones and also your own situation!:wub2:

You mention the many miles from your home…that’s it a feeling I’m familiar with when visiting US and the first time it struck me I was actually in…San Diego!

The dog in the café, it’s so funny!

I went to a McDonald's in Amsterdam once and they had no doors, just an opening to the street and there were pigeons walking all over the floor eating crumbles. A thing like that would never happen in Stockholm!:naughty:

And about written communications, I really hope you are printing out lots of your own work to save for the future, a change of media and woops, everything is gone, or at least not available for your future grandchildren to read. Think about it!

I have had a hard time to find a projector to be able to look at films of me and my sister from our childhood!

Your little explication about languages made me smile…it takes one to know one…language freak I mean!:blush-anim-cl:

When Mika did Over My Shoulder, I was absolutely gobsmacked. It was spine-tinglingly beautiful, a thousand times better live than it is on Life in Cartoon Motion. There’s my precious Mika, playing a proper piano instead of some **** keyboard, his voice just absolutely soaring on the strongest notes to this song. I absolutely adore when he looks skyward into the spotlight and just sings his heart out. There is really nothing like it on planet earth. His voice truly resonates, entering my very soul through my ears and sending a warm, tingling sensation coursing through every cell in my body. Then toward the second half where he’s singing with Alexander – I want to write that there aren’t words, but I’m going to try and find some. It’s as though I’m standing in a tunnel, like that foot tunnel leading from Greenwich under the Thames. And everything else in my life, everything that’s shaped the person I am today – each and every experience is passed through a “blur” filter and is still there with me, in colour, but very much out of focus, and relegated to the sidelines. All I can consciously perceive is him. It’s like I’m experiencing Mika’s performance through all five of my senses. I hear the aural beauty and see his mesmerizingly intense expressions, of course. But it’s like I can experience the scent of the notes, taste the sweet and savoury peaks and valleys of the song, and reach out and physically, tangibly touch the passion and energy radiating from the stage and enveloping every person in that room. And the sensory overload is so intense that I feel as though I want to close my eyes, but simultaneously I don’t even dare blink for fear of missing one nanosecond.

I just had to quote this…. I hope you don’t mind!

Wow, Mana wow!:wub2: Lovely, so lovely!!!!!

He ended with a spectacle during Lollipop, jumping up on top of his piano, wearing a feather hat and beating the crap out of a trash bin. It was so bizarre – he we are in this storied, ornate theatre, names like Bach and Mendelssohn lining the walls – and there’s Mika, jumping up and down on a gorgeous grand piano. It’s so out of place that it’s extremely attention-grabbing - as I said on MFC, like watching a platypus reading the national newspaper. It's just so random, you can't help but be entertained.

Well music is music isn’t it?

As long as it gives people so much joy and pleasure wouldn’t it be a little snobbish to underline the difference?

With the risk of being profane…!:roftl:

Thank you so much for your story about the whole Amsterdam experience, I really loved to read it! As always with your essays and reports!:wub2:

Mana, I loved your report! :boing:

It's really cool to read someone else's view on the city I live in. :naughty:

Here's just some things that crossed my mind while reading it:

- What do light switches look like in North America/Canada?

- All Dutch traffic is used to bikes. We grow up with them, although maybe there are some things we shouldn't be doing while on our bikes. :naughty:

- Is cucumber not that common outside of Europe?

- There are too many H&M shops in Amsterdam. They drive me crazy. :mf_rosetinted:

- I'd never realized that a dog in a café might actually be considered gross/strange/against the rules in other countries. :naughty:

You write awesome reports. :biggrin2:

Mana! :biggrin2:

Lovely report :wub2: (although I haven't read it all :teehee: You really know how to write!). And thanks for mentionning my teddy bear, you really shouldn't have :blush-anim-cl: (really really, I was already glad that it wasn't on film that the thing belonged to me :roftl:).

Can't wait for the Brussels report! :boing:

Well I did enjoy that. What a good read - but

Oi!

Less of the middle-aged IF YOU DON'T MIND young lady!!!!

Love Ruth

~x~

And, I expect, so that I wouldn't be too worried on my flight, I had put the plight of those Air France passengers firmly out of my mind. And today there are more deaths and grief from the second crash. And victims of the train crash in Italy. So much dreadful news.

It's really cool to read someone else's view on the city I live in. :naughty:

- What do light switches look like in North America/Canada?

- All Dutch traffic is used to bikes. We grow up with them, although maybe there are some things we shouldn't be doing while on our bikes. :naughty:

- Is cucumber not that common outside of Europe?

- There are too many H&M shops in Amsterdam. They drive me crazy. :mf_rosetinted:

- I'd never realized that a dog in a café might actually be considered gross/strange/against the rules in other countries. :naughty:

It's funny how such little things can be so different from country to country isn't it?

I love it.

It was one of the reasons I liked all the old European currencies.

I remember the first time I came across light switches that were at waist height. And on this trip to Amsterdam, as well as the craziness that are your roads, as Mana said, there was also the matter of the toilet in my hotel. And I don't know if that was one quirky one or 'normal'!!!! :blink:

It's funny how such little things can be so different from country to country isn't it?

I love it.

I remember the first time I came across light switches that were at waist height. And on this trip to Amsterdam, as well as the craziness that are your roads, as Mana said, there was also the matter of the toilet in my hotel. And I don't know if that was one quirky one or 'normal'!!!! :blink:

Yeah, it's really interesting! :biggrin2:

What height are light switches supposed to be on then? :naughty:

What was the deal with your toilet? :roftl:

I love it.

Tell us what was wrong with your toilet :roftl:.

I had the same when I was in London at the travelodge for the first time last November, I was puzzled how to flush it :roftl:. It took me some minutes to find out. :teehee:

Loved your report Mana.

Yeah, it's really interesting! :biggrin2:

What height are light switches supposed to be on then? :naughty:

What was the deal with your toilet? :roftl:

Now we've changed to waist height too (to help people in wheelchairs) but they used to be at shoulder height. I can never work showers- takes me ages and don't always get hot water- but that's whether I'm here or away

Now we've changed to waist height too (to help people in wheelchairs) but they used to be at shoulder height. I can never work showers- takes me ages and don't always get hot water- but that's whether I'm here or away

Aah, okay, thanx!

I always have trouble with showers too. Even my own shower won't ever do what I want it to do. :roftl:

Thanks for mentioning my name I hope I didn't spoke to much in dutch, if so, I'm sorry.

Great report :thumb_yello:

Nope, not at all! I love listening to Dutch, I just wish I could understand more. :wub2:

Sorry to hear you had such a sad mood start of your journey, thinking about the accident with the Air France plane, I heard about it as soon as I had landed from the trip to Berlin. It really makes you think about their loved ones and also your own situation!

True, but it also made me realize that life is for living...and what better way to do that than to chase a pop star around Europe? :naughty:

The dog in the café, it’s so funny!

I went to a McDonald's in Amsterdam once and they had no doors, just an opening to the street and there were pigeons walking all over the floor eating crumbles. A thing like that would never happen in Stockholm!

I love that! Here, they've even passed a law banning people from tying a dog to a tree or such outside shops. So you can't take your dog for a walk if you want to go to a nearby store to get a coffee or whatever, unless you have a second person willing to wait outside with the dog. :bleh:

And about written communications, I really hope you are printing out lots of your own work to save for the future, a change of media and woops, everything is gone, or at least not available for your future grandchildren to read. Think about it!

I do have stacks of handwritten journals (dating back to age 7), but when I got my first computer the amount I wrote by hand decreased substantially. :blush-anim-cl:

It's really cool to read someone else's view on the city I live in.

- There are too many H&M shops in Amsterdam. They drive me crazy.

H&M is huge here! We have exactly one location, which opened just a year ago. And Calgary is a city of a million people! When it first opened there were massive queues just to get inside. :roftl:

Mana!

Lovely report (although I haven't read it all :teehee: You really know how to write!). And thanks for mentionning my teddy bear, you really shouldn't have (really really, I was already glad that it wasn't on film that the thing belonged to me ).

Can't wait for the Brussels report!

Aw, your teddy bear was cute! I'm glad I was able to pass it to Mika. :wub2:

Well I did enjoy that. What a good read - but

Oi!

Less of the middle-aged IF YOU DON'T MIND young lady!!!!

Love Ruth

~x~

:lmfao:

Sorry Ruth! Middle aged on paper, maybe, but how about age 18 on the inside? :wink2:

That was all really interesting Mana.

Must admit I particularly liked "cucumber is everywhere in Europe" though.

It is! Here, I only ever encounter cucumber in salads. I found in Europe, continental Europe especially, that it's served with breakfast. And also in sandwiches! Here, you'd never see a deli serve a cheese and cucumber sandwich. That would be odd. (Soo good though, thank you Europe!)

And just because I can...

Canadian toilet is on the left. Amsterdam toilet is on the right.

Notice how the Canadian one has the opening at the back, and the Amsterdam one is at the front? And the Canadian one is just a bowl, but the Amsterdam one has like a shelf thing? :roftl:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/Toilets.jpg

And...

Canadian light switch on the left, Amsterdam light switch on the right.

The Canadian one you push on the top to turn the light on, and on the bottom to turn it off. The Amsterdam one...I'm still not sure! I kinda just poked at it until it worked. :roftl:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/Lightswitches.jpg

I love that! Here, they've even passed a law banning people from tying a dog to a tree or such outside shops. So you can't take your dog for a walk if you want to go to a nearby store to get a coffee or whatever, unless you have a second person willing to wait outside with the dog. :bleh:

H&M is huge here! We have exactly one location, which opened just a year ago. And Calgary is a city of a million people! When it first opened there were massive queues just to get inside. :roftl:

Aw, your teddy bear was cute! I'm glad I was able to pass it to Mika. :wub2:

They do? I never really realized some laws differed so much. Especially laws about dogs... :naughty:

If H&M is that popular in Calgary, you might find yourself surrounded by them soon enough. :naughty:

I loved that teddy bear! I want one! :wub2::roftl:

And just because I can...

Canadian toilet is on the left. Amsterdam toilet is on the right.

Notice how the Canadian one has the opening at the back, and the Amsterdam one is at the front? And the Canadian one is just a bowl, but the Amsterdam one has like a shelf thing? :roftl:

And...

Canadian light switch on the left, Amsterdam light switch on the right.

The Canadian one you push on the top to turn the light on, and on the bottom to turn it off. The Amsterdam one...I'm still not sure! I kinda just poked at it until it worked. :roftl:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/Lightswitches.jpg

Both toilets are common in Holland. The one on the right is just older I suppose.

That light switch looks weird indeed... :blink: I've never seen one like that... But then again, I always have trouble with light switches in hotels. (I once spent about half an hour looking for one, until my dad told me I had to put my room key in the little slot near the door. :roftl:)

Tell us what was wrong with your toilet :roftl:.

I'm trying to think how to write about it :roftl: I'll get back to you later on this one.

Thanks to Mana for the photo:

My hotel had the one on the right. We've never had them like that in the UK. I wondered if I was supposed to sit t'other way round....

Or whether it was to inspect before flushing.......