Watching stars with Golden Boy Mika (Dutch Stars interview)

IngievV

The first album of the eccentric singer Mika was a dreamdebut. Something he never expected, became reality: the 26 year old Brit had his breakthrough in more than 20 countries. Mika can't be broken. What did he learn from stardom? The night before the release of his second album STARS asked this golden boy about his opinion on some statements.

It is important to have a family who has your back and support you.

Absolutely! I was raised in a family where everyone got into each other's business, in a positive way. Whatever happened, we supported each other. I have 3 sisters and 1 brother. My father was gone most of the time, and we didn't have a lot of money. There was always something going on with money or problems with one of us at school. I noticed then that my mother has a very strong personality. With her unbreakable optimism she dragged us through everything. Her slogan was: We will make it through. Because we didn't have money, we learned to be happy with little things. So to come back to the statement: yes, family is very important for me, because they give their honest opinion. They keep me balanced.

You are as good as your last work.

In my case I think that I'm as good as my last gig. My last gig of today was, if I may say so, brilliant. So today I am a brilliant artist! But ask this question again next week and you can get a totally different answer. Although I am a perfectionist, I can relativate and let go things quite well. If one of my shows didn't go well, that's a drive for me to do better the next time.

Stardom is actually pure poverty.

No, it only gets more fun. Especially when I'm on tour I'm having a f**king good time. It's the opposite: The 'stardom' makes me appreciate things that have nothing to do with it even more. Example: If I'm in a foreign country, I sleep in hotels and I go out for dinner every night. That's luxury, that's part of showbizz. And I admit: I easily get used to that. However, when I'm home, I'm cooking my own dinner and I enjoy that even more. Going to the supermarket, is one of the most fun daily things to do. And not a long time ago, I made enough money to buy my own apartment. See, I appreciate the little things now more than ever. The downside of being a star is that you got into this fast train and for a dreamer and creative person as myself, that can be quite exhausting. Everytime there's a new show, a new cd, dvd, tv-performance and...a new mistake you have to correct again.

You don't become a star on purpose, but usually by accident.

Hmm...if you don't count shows as Big Brother, then yes. In my case it wasn't really accidental, but I had a lot of luck. Apart from that you also have to deliver something good. The luckfactor decides for 50% if you will get success.

Taking care of being friendly, polite and handsome will make you a golden boy.

Really? I doubt it. There are stars who choose to be rude. Their call. For me it's something that's in my nature. I've been raised properly, speak with two words and I'm polite to my environment. I couldn't do it differently. I make sure I do what I said I would do and I am motivated. And if I don't like someone, I won't show. About my looks: Being handsome is relative. Now and then I go online to see what people write about me. One person thinks I'm hot, the other thinks I'm a creep. One person thinks I'm a handsome, tall man, the other thinks I have ADHD. It doesn't keep me up at night. If I think I'm handsome? No, but I don't think I'm ugly either. I don't really care. As long as I don't hear that I'm a nasty man too often, then I'm good.

Marilyn Monroe once said: 'Nobody is born a star, you're made one.'

Poo-poo-pi-doo! All the way Betty Boop, I totally agree. In the end, my life doesn't differ that much from others. If I don't work, I'm doing things everybody does. I watch the same tv-shows and movies. It comes down to this: One moment you walk through a shopping street, the other moment you're on stage and you entertain a stadium full of people. The latter makes you a star, while I've never felt any different or better than the fans who cheer for me.

Famous or not, in the end everybody will be forgotten.

If you die, then yes. Luckily musicians leave their music behind. I myself plan to carry on with music for a long time and when it gets pathetic, I will jump off a mountain. No, without joking: I hope to be around in the music industry for a long time and if I become a 'Who-is-that-again?-artist', then I'd be man enough to quit. But let's hope that time won't come...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marilyn Monroe once said: 'Nobody is born a star, you're made one.'

Poo-poo-pi-doo! All the way Betty Boop, I totally agree. In the end, my life doesn't differ that much from others. If I don't work, I'm doing things everybody does. I watch the same tv-shows and movies. It comes down to this: One moment you walk through a shopping street, the other moment you're on stage and you entertain a stadium full of people. The latter makes you a star, while I've never felt any different or better than the fans who cheer for me.

thats incredible! very few artists would say something like that:wub2: