Mika on his demoNs and overcoming a crisis of confidence

dcdeb

Anyhow, to answer your question - yes I was afraid of screwing them up, but not specifically out of fear of Mika's wrath. Moreso out of the determination to do the best damn job I possibly could for something I believe in so damn much. :wub2:

Ditto! :thumb_yello:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was pretty much the same feeling I have toward MFC, only (obviously) in a more physical, more hands-on situation.

What it amounted to is that I believe so much in the whole Mika project, and by working on the set I found myself feeling personally invested in it. Just like I want MFC to be the best it can be, I wanted Mika's set to be the best it could be. I can be a perfectionist in most situations, but I think the passion behind this whole Mika thing really amplified that perfectionism in this case.

You know that phrase "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life"...? I was thinking about that when working on the planets, and watching Mika's mum and sister work. I'm sure it counts as "work" to them - it was actually a lot of work, and creating a set is only a fraction of what they do - but the underlying commitment to the whole overall project was there, coming from his people and from us "recruits". If that makes any sense. :teehee:

Anyhow, to answer your question - yes I was afraid of screwing them up, but not specifically out of fear of Mika's wrath. Moreso out of the determination to do the best damn job I possibly could for something I believe in so damn much. :wub2:

I don't even know what to say, so I'm just gonna :fangurl:

:teehee: This whole situation just makes me love Mika even more. :wub2:

Oh, and I wasn't even thinking of Mika's wrath. I can't imagine him going off on any of you. :naughty:

And the fun thing is that those planets means something special to me too now when I know how they got painted!:wink2:

I love that Mika painted them too. It's not really that surprising when you think about it but I don't think it would have occurred to me. One thing I remember he was working on for sure was the little green one that's used in Rain at the back of the stage.

You can see it at 0:44 here:

My sister and I marveled at the planets for a long while at the concert...until Mika came out and stole our attention. :naughty:

Yeah I know how that happens. :roftl:

What it amounted to is that I believe so much in the whole Mika project, and by working on the set I found myself feeling personally invested in it. Just like I want MFC to be the best it can be, I wanted Mika's set to be the best it could be. I can be a perfectionist in most situations, but I think the passion behind this whole Mika thing really amplified that perfectionism in this case.

Yes I was afraid of screwing them up, but not specifically out of fear of Mika's wrath. Moreso out of the determination to do the best damn job I possibly could for something I believe in so damn much. :wub2:

lollipop_monkey Could you pick out which of Mika's balls you painted - in a crowded room????:shocked::shocked:

For me it was pretty much the same feeling I have toward MFC, only (obviously) in a more physical, more hands-on situation.

You know that phrase "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life"...? I was thinking about that when working on the planets, and watching Mika's mum and sister work. I'm sure it counts as "work" to them - it was actually a lot of work, and creating a set is only a fraction of what they do - but the underlying commitment to the whole overall project was there, coming from his people and from us "recruits". If that makes any sense. :teehee:

loved reading your post, i feel totally the same way about the "whole mika project", like you called it. although i loved reading all reports about that day, i think this is the post that personally gives me the best idea of what it must've felt like. :wub2:

loved reading your post, i feel totally the same way about the "whole mika project", like you called it. although i loved reading all reports about that day, i think this is the post that personally gives me the best idea of what it must've felt like. :wub2:

Yes Mana's got it exactly right.

Let's get beyond this squabbling as I have a really serious question for those who painted Mika's balls/planets.:teehee:

How many of you are going to put it on your resume????:biggrin2:

Well it sort of is a serious question.:blush-anim-cl::shocked::blush-anim-cl::shocked:

If I was applying for a job painting concert sets, I totally would. :roftl:

lollipop_monkey Could you pick out which of Mika's balls you painted - in a crowded room????:shocked::shocked:

I noticed one I'm 90% sure was mine at the Toronto show. Why? Because I recognized a small section that didn't come out as I'd have liked it to. :hair:

I had a pretty crappy paintbrush, and it took me a while to master a good technique with it. I finally realized I had to beat the crap out of it again after every half-planet I painted in order to keep the bristles splayed out enough to acheive the desired effect. It worked out much better after I figured that out. :roftl:

And as someone else mentioned, the balls weren't balls when we were working on them - they were half-domes. And between the different paintbrushes and different people's techniques, when two domes painted by two people were combined to make one planet, you could see differences between each half. It drove me nuts for the first couple of gigs, kicking myself because I should have realized that would happen and thus should have suggested each planet-painter keep two halves together, to keep a continuous effect over the entirety of each planet. :aah:

Although, I'm sure at the end of the day that's just perfectionism talking, because everyone else was saying the planets looked amazing, even in some of the various newspaper reviews. Phew!

Edited by lollipop_monkey

Why would we laugh at you? :huglove:

They were made of polystrene, and out of two "circles" that were later glued together to make each planet. Unfortunately, nobody thought about the fact that the circles would be painted by different people, and that we should keep both parts of one planet (painted by the same person) together, because, as it turned out, we all had very different techniques and in some planets you can see a huge difference between one half and the other :naughty:.

The technique that we had to follow was first to smash the brush up so that the bristles weren't too "perfect", and then dipping the brush very lightly in white UV paint , and just sort of gently "tap" the planet, leaving many bits unpainted. Basically, you nad to sort of recreate the craters by putting very little paint and leaving some spaces unpainted. Then we checked the progress under a black light lamp, to see how it was looking.

Later on, the planets were glued together and had a bit of string fixed to them, so that thy could be hung from the stage. They also needed a bit of sticky tape to hold both halves together which was later removed, but when we were waiting for the Toronto gig to start I remember spotting one that still had the tape on it and thinking "dammit! That one slipped the net :aah:"

Thank you! I was really curious about that, specially since I saw the other day a company that sells lamps that look exactly like the planets you painted, and they were really expensive! He should have paid you in balls,not pizza:naughty:

I really wanted to know that too but when I asked how many they painted they just said all of them and that's not a number!:sneaky2:

Cheeky bastards!:sneaky2:

:naughty:

If I was applying for a job painting concert sets, I totally would. :roftl:

I noticed one I'm 90% sure was mine at the Toronto show. Why? Because I recognized a small section that didn't come out as I'd have liked it to. :hair:

I had a pretty crappy paintbrush, and it took me a while to master a good technique with it. I finally realized I had to beat the crap out of it again after every half-planet I painted in order to keep the bristles splayed out enough to acheive the desired effect. It worked out much better after I figured that out. :roftl:

And as someone else mentioned, the balls weren't balls when we were working on them - they were half-domes. And between the different paintbrushes and different people's techniques, when two domes painted by two people were combined to make one planet, you could see differences between each half. It drove me nuts for the first couple of gigs, kicking myself because I should have realized that would happen and thus should have suggested each planet-painter keep two halves together, to keep a continuous effect over the entirety of each planet. :aah:

Although, I'm sure at the end of the day that's just perfectionism talking, because everyone else was saying the planets looked amazing, even in some of the various newspaper reviews. Phew!

That is really kewl!

I am being serious now.

I think there are a lot of fans who would have loved taking part in that.

I am happy for all of you that took part in that.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

That is one of those "once in a lifetime moments."

It is also one you wouldn't expect or even dream of it ever happening.

Too kewl guys!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

they didn't have your planets in sydney, just cheap flat cardboard versions! :shocked:http://twitpic.com/qqgpv and http://twitpic.com/qqrpa

but well, maybe we'll see them again on the european tour and he just didn't want to tell you, because the european tour setting is still a secret... :wink2:

:shocked: I hope they didn't decide they weren't worth shipping and trashed them. :tears:

I mean I don't expect them to keep the planets but that's why we asked if we could have a couple, because we assumed they wouldn't. Ah well. :naughty:

they didn't have your planets in sydney, just cheap flat cardboard versions! :shocked:http://twitpic.com/qqgpv and http://twitpic.com/qqrpa

but well, maybe we'll see them again on the european tour and he just didn't want to tell you, because the european tour setting is still a secret... :wink2:

That doesn't take away from you guys who helped with the set for the North American Tour.

The set Mika created for his Australian & Asian Tour looks really kewl!

Mika just keeps experimenting & evolving - I love it!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

4131013708_c0f377b73d.jpg

That doesn't take away from you guys who helped with the set for the North American Tour.

"Mika just keeps experimenting & evolving - I love it!"

I LOVE IT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just one of the many reasons I find Mika a TRULY interesting talent & entertainer!!!!! I look forward to enjoying his music and art and ??? for MANY years to come!!!!!!

MikaPizzaTShirtforMFC.jpg[/img]

:blink: Are those in the picture not our planets then? Are these flat? They look like our ones to me still :teehee:

:blink: Are those in the picture not our planets then? Are these flat? They look like our ones to me still :teehee:

Yeah they're flat. :naughty:

Not sure it has anything to do with evolution. I think it's just a lot cheaper to pack them flat and ship them across the Pacific.

Kodes you really must come to the next Toronto gig so we can meet you. :thumb_yello:

Yeah they're flat. :naughty:

Not sure it has anything to do with evolution. I think it's just a lot cheaper to pack them flat and ship them across the Pacific.

Kodes you really must come to the next Toronto gig so we can meet you. :thumb_yello:

Mika should do a gig in Orillia. :lmfao:

Him and Gordon Lightfoot. :das:

Maybe in Lisbon we could help him hang some watermelons...

Or even some pumpkins...

Our agriculture can be a nahce enhancement on the set...

I could paint a few paper etorki cheese slices lookalike planets though...

Ideas, we need some ideas for the Erope Tour set...

Ah!

And meatballs in Germany, I'm sure Sabine's husband wouldn't mind bringing some...

:lmfao:

I'm not myself tonight...

Or even some pumpkins...

Ah!

And meatballs in Germany, I'm sure Sabine's husband wouldn't mind bringing some...

:lmfao::lmao: my god what are you on Wonka?! :sneaky2::naughty:

:lmfao::lmao: my god what are you on Wonka?! :sneaky2::naughty:

Everyone here seems to have the swine flu, my 3 kids and my hubby, i'm the only one healthy but doc put me on something to help preventing it...:roftl:...that makes my head go round and round...

No, it's not pot...:mf_rosetinted:

Or even some pumpkins...

Ah!

meatballs?! :aah::aah: definitely not in germany, those are the gigs I am going to, and there won't be any meatballs in the stage deco!! :sneaky2::sneaky2: potato dumplings, if you want german food on there - but no meatballs! :aah: i'd prefer pizza. :naughty: although, bad idea... not sure if mika would be so happy if i ate his stage deco before the gig even started. :roftl:

Everyone here seems to have the swine flu, my 3 kids and my hubby, i'm the only one healthy but doc put me on something to help preventing it...:roftl:...that makes my head go round and round...

No, it's not pot...:mf_rosetinted:

Hope your fam. is alright?

Well as long as it makes you happy woman keep taking it :naughty:

Sure? :mf_rosetinted: That :mf_rosetinted: in your hands makes me wanna not believe what you say :mf_rosetinted: