REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS: Mika @ Sziget Festival, Hungary - August 13 2010

Droopsy

Thanks! :thumb_yello:

The black trousers are a nice change! :biggrin2:

I was just thinking "Oh, Mika's wearing black pants again!" but I didn't want to look like an idiot in case he had worn them 2 or 3 gigs ago. :lol3:

I've always preferred the black pants. :teehee:

I was just thinking "Oh, Mika's wearing black pants again!" but I didn't want to look like an idiot in case he had worn them 2 or 3 gigs ago. :lol3:

I've always preferred the black pants. :teehee:

I think white suits him best, but black trousers and white shirt are cool, too. :wink2: I guess it's just because he was wearing white at my first gig... almost three centuries ago. :wub2:

:doh: Years! Times flies by eh! :roftl:

great photos!!! he was in a good mood :thumb_yello: despite some ignorant people in the crowd..

i also think white suit him best, and they may be better for stage, 'cause they shine in those lights :teehee:

but i just LOVE black too!

wow :thumb_yello: Laura - 3 years ago! my first gig was only a month ago! 1st and last, for now!

As this was my first ever festival, I just have to write about the circumstances that lead me to the impression I got. If somebody wants to skip that part, feel free.

I've always been worried about festivals in general. I'm not that kind of person who likes different styles of music and to share a toilet with some thousand people. But as it was Mika playing, I thought the experience would be worth it. When I now sum it all up, I must say: it wasn't. I loved Mika's gig and I don't regret this journey, but everything apart from Mika wasn't something I'd like to sit in a train for for ages.

We arrived at the festival around noon and noticed that the front row was full :sad: The 30 Seconds to Mars-fans told us that they wouldn't let us go in the front for Mika. I could understand that but was a bit sad about it, tbh. So it would be my first Mika-gig in second row :aah: We chilled a bit in the sun (I personally hoped for a M-soundcheck as many others were soundchecking :teehee: - but of course that didn't happen). At 3pm some Belarian / Ukrainian band started. At first I was surprised because the audience seemed to be really into it. But then I didn't enjoy it that much because I felt a bit excluded :shun: as they spoke and sung in Russian and my Russian is really poor :naughty:. The second band was Papa Roach - my worst gig experience ever. I hated every single minute of it. It wasn't that much about the band itself, even though I personally don't like peolpe that spit around everywhere and mention the f-word at least twice in every sentence. What I hated was the situation in the audience - the typical rock-concert-atmosphere, I guess... Before that I thought screaming 13-year-old-girls that wanted to touch Mika were bad. Now I know that they aren't. Men in their mid-twenties that want to touch a rockstar for whatever reason are worse. And the worst thing is that they have the power of men in their mid-twenties as well. I'm still amazed that we were able to survive this hour of pushing, fighting and crowd surfing and that we could defend our spots in second row as well :shocked: As soon as Papa Roach had left, the whole situation got a lot more relaxed. The next act was Gentleman who I knew as he's German and quite well known over here. It was a really good and easy-going-gig which I was able to enjoy.

Mika-part

Then I got excited and more excited with every sunflower / guitar / piano that appeared. After that long day it was soooo good to see familiar props :biggrin2:

Mika did a great show. It was too short in my opinion, but that's the thing with festivals, I guess. The audience seemed not that interested as already mentioned by others. I don't get why you would stand in front row and not even try to go with the music a bit. I did it with every act as well (erm, apart from Papa Roach - was too focused on surviving then :naughty:) and it didn't hurt :blink: At one point Mika looked a bit unstatisfied. He tried to make the audience sing the "we are not what you think..."-part but it took at least four times for him to sing it until some in the audience were able to repeat it. Apparently they didn't know the lyrics at all - not even the WAG-chorus :boxed: What I found really funny was the intro to Billy Brown. He said the usual "this song is about a friend of mine"-part and then pointed on someone in the audience who waved a peace-flag and added "he would have waved a rainbow-flag like yours" :naughty: Later on Mika waved at that guy again and wanted him to come on stage. But when the guy crossed the barrier the security caught him and told him to leave. Even though Mika showed again and again that he wanted that guy (or his flag, I'm still not sure :naughty:) on stage, the security brought him away :sneaky2: When I got to chat with that guy after the gig he was really sad because it was so special for him and those stupid security-guys didn't let it happen :sneaky2: You could see that Mika wasn't happy about that either.

I think it's already been mentioned that there weren't Kick-Ass, Dr John and Big Girls / Lollipopgirls. I still wonder why there weren't fans on stage. It may be due to timing-problems but it was really weird to see the stage that empty for Lollipop

One last thing I have to mention: thank you again Suzie for being a perfect host :wub2: and thanks to my two zombie-friends from the bus-stops :naughty: I won't forget this morning

About pics / vids: Most of my pics are blurry and not worth being posted, I think the ones that are already in the thread are a lot better. I wanted to film Sweet Dreams, but at first I dropped my camera while filming :teehee: and then a girl fainted and everybody was pushed to the right and later to the left so I stopped filming as it would just be very confusing, I guess :naughty:

Eeeeerm.http://index.hu/kultur/zene/fesztiva...dott_macsosag/

This review is just what I expected.They call Mika fag,bisexual,they say that he makes fun of gay people.But to be fair they're writing good things about him too.They write that he's too handsome,too cute,too energic etc.

Edited by DuMika

This review is just what I expected.They call Mika fag,bisexual,they say that he makes fun of gay people.But to be fair they're writing good things about him too.They write that he's too handsome,too cute,too energic etc.

Of coarse, leave it up to ignorant people to even mention such things. What does any of that have to do with his artistry!? Anyhow, Yes..handsome, cute and energetic he is! Theres no ignoring or denying that! They forgot to mention one other quality though...CHICKENY! HA!

P.S. I cant view the link and even if I could I see that I wouldn't be able to understand :-/ why do they say he makes fun of gay people??!!

I was soooooo close but so far away ..... :tears:

I was in Hungary few KM from Budapest.... But we hadn´t enough money w my family to go there :crybaby:

Hope it was great.. (What a stupid sentence, anything MIKArelated is great :mf_rosetinted:) Anyway, Mika is flirting w Slovakia .. :naughty: He should come to Prague, now Budapest, He already was in Wien, he´ll be in Warsaw.. Soon or later he´ll come to me, I´m sure :winner_first_h4h:

great photos!!! he was in a good mood :thumb_yello: despite some ignorant people in the crowd..

i also think white suit him best, and they may be better for stage, 'cause they shine in those lights :teehee:

but i just LOVE black too!

wow :thumb_yello: Laura - 3 years ago! my first gig was only a month ago! 1st and last, for now!

Wow! 1 month ago! I'm happy you got one at last! :thumb_yello:

I hope you managed to have a M&G. :biggrin2: (Sorry I don't remember if you had one :blush-anim-cl: )

I think a M&G is important when it's the first gig in one place. Not many people are so lucky to be able to attend many gigs in their own city/town or travel to see him.

South America should get a party, Champagne, spa treatments and a sleepover in Mika's hotel. :mf_rosetinted:

I was soooooo close but so far away ..... :tears:

I was in Hungary few KM from Budapest.... But we hadn´t enough money w my family to go there :crybaby:

Hope it was great.. (What a stupid sentence, anything MIKArelated is great :mf_rosetinted:) Anyway, Mika is flirting w Slovakia .. :naughty: He should come to Prague, now Budapest, He already was in Wien, he´ll be in Warsaw.. Soon or later he´ll come to me, I´m sure :winner_first_h4h:

yeah, don't give up! he's gonna visit your country one day!:biggrin2:

Of coarse' date=' leave it up to ignorant people to even mention such things. What does any of that have to do with his artistry!? Anyhow, Yes..handsome, cute and energetic he is! Theres no ignoring or denying that! They forgot to mention one other quality though...CHICKENY! HA!

P.S. I cant view the link and even if I could I see that I wouldn't be able to understand :-/ why do they say he makes fun of gay people??!![/quote']

They write it because of Billy Brown.I still don't understand.

Wow! 1 month ago! I'm happy you got one at last! :thumb_yello:

I hope you managed to have a M&G. :biggrin2: (Sorry I don't remember if you had one :blush-anim-cl: )

I think a M&G is important when it's the first gig in one place. Not many people are so lucky to be able to attend many gigs in their own city/town or travel to see him.

South America should get a party, Champagne, spa treatments and a sleepover in Mika's hotel. :mf_rosetinted:

yep, i had m&g. it wasn't in Croatia - he was never here, I traveled to Serbia. But it was SO worth it! I just think my first Mika gig was really the best possible. 1st row in center, Mika took my flag on stage(!!!), said he loved it, had a m&g, got an autograph and a group photo... what more there is to ask! :blush-anim-cl:

and i agree about South America :aah:

I can't see this,it's some kind of error :no:

why did they said that!? :sneaky2:

Edited by NatalijaS

Of course it wasn't a bad gig - I think most of us were talking about the strange attitudes and behaviour of some of the crowd.:

i didn't say/think it was a bad gig, i was indeed referring to the behaviour of people in the crowd, because that's what imma talked about in her blog. :wink2:

and about the shirtless, well, for some people it might be a bit too important, that's true... :naughty: but generally, i don't see a big difference to people talking about the colour of mika's trousers, which had been done a lot in this thread, and no one complained about it. :teehee:

Mika-part

Then I got excited and more excited with every sunflower / guitar / piano that appeared. After that long day it was soooo good to see familiar props :

Mika did a great show. It was too short in my opinion, but that's the thing with festivals, I guess. The audience seemed not that interested as already mentioned by others. I don't get why you would stand in front row and not even try to go with the music a bit. I did it with every act as well (erm, apart from Papa Roach - was too focused on surviving then and it didn't hurt :blink: At one point Mika looked a bit unstatisfied. He tried to make the audience sing the "we are not what you think..."-part but it took at least four times for him to sing it until some in the audience were able to repeat it. Apparently they didn't know the lyrics at all - not even the WAG-chorus : What I found really funny was the intro to Billy Brown. He said the usual "this song is about a friend of mine"-part and then pointed on someone in the audience who waved a peace-flag and added "he would have waved a rainbow-flag like yours" : Later on Mika waved at that guy again and wanted him to come on stage. But when the guy crossed the barrier the security caught him and told him to leave. Even though Mika showed again and again that he wanted that guy (or his flag, I'm still not sure :naughty:) on stage, the security brought him away : When I got to chat with that guy after the gig he was really sad because it was so special for him and those stupid security-guys didn't let it happen : You could see that Mika wasn't happy about that either.

I think it's already been mentioned that there weren't Kick-Ass, Dr John and Big Girls / Lollipopgirls. I still wonder why there weren't fans on stage. It may be due to timing-problems but it was really weird to see the stage that empty for Lollipop

One last thing I have to mention: thank you again Suzie for being a perfect host : and thanks to my two zombie-friends from the bus-stops : I won't forget this morning

About pics / vids: Most of my pics are blurry and not worth being posted, I think the ones that are already in the thread are a lot better. I wanted to film Sweet Dreams, but at first I dropped my camera while filming :teehee: and then a girl fainted and everybody was pushed to the right and later to the left so I stopped filming as it would just be very confusing, I guess :

thanx for your report statue. :flowers2: loved the bit with the flag... and stupid security, pfft! but i'm sure the guy can be happy nevertheless, because at least he knew mika wanted him on stage, even if it didn't happen. :original:

sorry bout your experience during papa roach. i really hope there's no such bands (and especially fans) at the arbon festival! :rolls_eyes: maybe then you can revise your opinion about festivals again. :naughty:

As this was my first ever festival, I just have to write about the circumstances that lead me to the impression I got. If somebody wants to skip that part, feel free.

I've always been worried about festivals in general. I'm not that kind of person who likes different styles of music and to share a toilet with some thousand people. But as it was Mika playing, I thought the experience would be worth it. When I now sum it all up, I must say: it wasn't. I loved Mika's gig and I don't regret this journey, but everything apart from Mika wasn't something I'd like to sit in a train for for ages.

We arrived at the festival around noon and noticed that the front row was full : The 30 Seconds to Mars-fans told us that they wouldn't let us go in the front for Mika. I could understand that but was a bit sad about it, tbh. So it would be my first Mika-gig in second row :: We chilled a bit in the sun (I personally hoped for a M-soundcheck as many others were soundchecking :- but of course that didn't happen). At 3pm some Belarian / Ukrainian band started. At first I was surprised because the audience seemed to be really into it. But then I didn't enjoy it that much because I felt a bit excluded :shun: as they spoke and sung in Russian and my Russian is really poor :naughty:. The second band was Papa Roach - my worst gig experience ever. I hated every single minute of it. It wasn't that much about the band itself, even though I personally don't like peolpe that spit around everywhere and mention the f-word at least twice in every sentence. What I hated was the situation in the audience - the typical rock-concert-atmosphere, I guess... Before that I thought screaming 13-year-old-girls that wanted to touch Mika were bad. Now I know that they aren't. Men in their mid-twenties that want to touch a rockstar for whatever reason are worse. And the worst thing is that they have the power of men in their mid-twenties as well. I'm still amazed that we were able to survive this hour of pushing, fighting and crowd surfing and that we could defend our spots in second row as well : As soon as Papa Roach had left, the whole situation got a lot more relaxed. The next act was Gentleman who I knew as he's German and quite well known over here. It was a really good and easy-going-gig which I was able to enjoy.

Mika-part

Then I got excited and more excited with every sunflower / guitar / piano that appeared. After that long day it was soooo good to see familiar props

Mika did a great show. It was too short in my opinion, but that's the thing with festivals, I guess. The audience seemed not that interested as already mentioned by others. I don't get why you would stand in front row and not even try to go with the music a bit. I did it with every act as well (erm, apart from Papa Roach - was too focused on surviving then : and it didn't hurt At one point Mika looked a bit unstatisfied. He tried to make the audience sing the "we are not what you think..."-part but it took at least four times for him to sing it until some in the audience were able to repeat it. Apparently they didn't know the lyrics at all - not even the WAG-chorus What I found really funny was the intro to Billy Brown. He said the usual "this song is about a friend of mine"-part and then pointed on someone in the audience who waved a peace-flag and added "he would have waved a rainbow-flag like yours" Later on Mika waved at that guy again and wanted him to come on stage. But when the guy crossed the barrier the security caught him and told him to leave. Even though Mika showed again and again that he wanted that guy (or his flag, I'm still not sure on stage, the security brought him away : When I got to chat with that guy after the gig he was really sad because it was so special for him and those stupid security-guys didn't let it happen : You could see that Mika wasn't happy about that either.

One last thing I have to mention: thank you again Suzie for being a perfect host : and thanks to my two zombie-friends from the bus-stops : I won't forget this morning

About pics / vids: Most of my pics are blurry and not worth being posted, I think the ones that are already in the thread are a lot better. I wanted to film Sweet Dreams, but at first I dropped my camera while filming and then a girl fainted and everybody was pushed to the right and later to the left so I stopped filming as it would just be very confusing, I guess :

I'm really sorry to read this...:boxed: This actually quite surprised me because I thought he'd get a much better audience. Exit festival, for example, is rock/punk/metal/alternative festival as well, but there were more than 15,000 people on Mika's gig and the crowd was brilliant. Many people came to see only him that night, as he was promoted as the biggest star of the opening evening. They sang with Mika every song, they knew the lyrics of every song, literally... and it was a big surprise, but it was fantastic. Mika told me so himself as well..

And I'm dissapointed to hear it lasted so short :sad: he did almost the full show at EXIT, it lasted for about 1h45min...

And not having BGs and LGs :shocked:

You guys deserved a better experience in general... and so did Mika. Glad he's BEEN there after all though.

:blink: ummmmmm they say that he's gay AND that he's making fun of gay people? Why would they say that? That'd mean that he's making fun of himself then. :blink:

I can't believe that THIS were the reviews of the gig... I mean... come on. :aah:

But nevermind the bollocks, I guess....:boxed:

You guys deserved a better experience in general... and so did Mika. Glad he's BEEN there after all though.

Agreed. I think it's a general decision with festivals. As an artist you take the risk to be ignored or to have an audience that isn't interested. But in the end every concert he gives is an advertisement for him as well. And those festivals are more an advertisement than a concert of his is because there are people that wouldn't come to his gigs. Especially in Sziget were (from my impression) just a few people coming for Mika. All the others saw him live and I guess most of them didn't know him in advance. Now they know him and that's what advertisement is suppossed to do with the "product". If some of them hear the name "Mika" again and think "yep, I've seen him at Sziget" or even "yep, I liked his performance at Sziget" it's a sucess and as his performance was really good, I'm sure some will think that. :thumb_yello:

That the day wasn't the greatest joy for one or two MFCers doesn't make the festival a bad thing. It's not that much about the ones who are already fans but about those *normal* people who didn't know or didn't see him so far. That's why I think it was a good decision to do this festival in the end (for Mika, still not sure about my journey :aah::naughty:) Or: this time I hope he doesn't care about MY opinion :naughty:

I'm really sorry to read this...:boxed: This actually quite surprised me because I thought he'd get a much better audience. Exit festival, for example, is rock/punk/metal/alternative festival as well, but there were more than 15,000 people on Mika's gig and the crowd was brilliant. Many people came to see only him that night, as he was promoted as the biggest star of the opening evening. They sang with Mika every song, they knew the lyrics of every song, literally... and it was a big surprise, but it was fantastic. Mika told me so himself as well..

And I'm dissapointed to hear it lasted so short :sad: he did almost the full show at EXIT, it lasted for about 1h45min...

And not having BGs and LGs :shocked:

:blink: ummmmmm they say that he's gay AND that he's making fun of gay people? Why would they say that? That'd mean that he's making fun of himself then. :blink:

I can't believe that THIS were the reviews of the gig... I mean... come on. :aah:

But nevermind the bollocks, I guess....:boxed:

It's good to read that he had a better audience at Exit.There were more than 30,000 people at his gig,but most of them were there for 30 seconds to Mars.I still can't understand what's so good in them.Anyway...I hate the Hungarian journalists.Maybe those who write this 'Index' forum were jelaous:aah:

I don't know.On the Sziget's site they write only good things about him.I'm happy to read more than just bad reviews.

This is what they write on Sziget's website:

The great entertainer - Mika

Sure there are heaps of Sziget-bands returning for the nth time, but still, there are some artists who have come for the first time this year: a perfect example of that is Mika, who made up for his show cancelled three years ago on Friday. With his 2007 debut album, this British singer-composer has immediately won the appreciation of music-experts, so we are truly happy that after his two concert-DVDs, his famous show has finally reached us, too. The stage-decoration already gave us a hint of the perfect Mika-atmosphere, but after the first song Relax, Take it Easy nobody had any dobts about the quality of the show: professional arrangements and performance, great songs and fantastic stage-appearance – that's the best way to sum up these seventyfive minutes. Hits from last year's album The Boy Who Knew Too Much and songs of the debut-album have also been played, we got to hear Billy Brown supported by a huge Billy-flag, a disco-version of Rain, and in the end an encore with Love Today-We Are Golden-Grace Kelly, plus in the end, we also had a chance to hear the Eurythmics-cover Sweet Dreams, and Lollipop with an intro using trashbin-drums. Mika has greeted the audience in Hungarian numerous times, morever greeted 30 Seconds to Mars too, as they were the band playing after them. All in all, Mika's show was without the shadow of doubt one of the most entertaining gigs of this year's Sziget.